A Car Story

February 21, 2010

Yesterday morning started off great.  I made a stack of pancakes for Maya and her sleepover friends, I cleaned up the house, watered the plants, ate breakfast, and then informed Ali that if he didn’t come home with a car by the end of the day, then he shouldn’t come home at all.  Although I meant this as a threat I could see Ali contemplating the upside: sure he’d still be in a state of perpetual limbo car-wise but maybe that inconvenience was worth finally unloading me.

For those of you who don’t know, Ali has been borrowing his parent’s extra car since April of 2009 when his lease ended.  So that means that for the last 10 months he has been visiting car dealers, doing test drives, daily debating the pros and cons of about 8 different cars, tweeting with random people about their opinions, dragging me to car dealers across the city, making me be friendly to the most annoying and pushy sales people that have walked the earth, and generally exhausting me to the point where I told him I simply could NOT talk about it for one more second.

I used to love cars.  (Note the past tense.)  I used to love visiting showrooms for fun with my dad and brother and eagerly anticipated the Auto Show every December.  I even attended a Nascar racing school with Ali where I slipped into a super unattractive jumpsuit and  drove a ridiculously fast car on a track in 110 degree temperatures.  For years I have fully appreciated and supported his need for a dual exhaust and completely unnecessary features such as a heated steering wheel.  But after a fairly patient 10 months my patient streak finally ran out and even Ali knew I wasn’t kidding around when I dared him to test my ultimatum.

So while he drove off bright and early to either find a car or hire a divorce lawyer, Maya and I headed to my in-laws place and then my mom’s.  The day was full of rest, relaxation, tea, and conversation that did not address the predicament of 19″ wheels in chrome or alloy.  By 2pm I was a bit surprised to not see or hear from Ali but I poured my self another cup of tea and promptly forgot about it.  By 4pm I was back at my in-laws and engaged in a battle with Maya and the TV, still no word from Ali.  By 6pm I decided to enjoy my rare night of freedom, called up my brother and headed out to meet him for dinner.

After have dinner at our favorite Fresh Corn Grill, my brother and I headed to the Montage in Beverly Hills for a cup of coffee.  My gut instinct told me that coffee was not going to do anything to help the scary nauseous feeling that had suddenly come over me, but I was determined not to waste a good hair day.  And enjoy I did…the lobby lounge was gorgeous and packed with people who were having an even better hair day.

We settled in at the only available table, ordered some decaf, and chatted away.  You can’t see it in this unsurprisingly terribly dark picture, but there was a piano player and singer.

I listened to Nat King Cole and Etta James covers as my nauseousness took a turn for the wost.  Still no Ali but I didn’t really care because I was quickly becoming sick to my stomach.  I came home and spent the rest of my “night out” huddled on the couch with my laptop as my only distraction.

It had been a long time since I felt as sick as I did last night, but I guess it was only fitting since I told Ali that I would drop dead from shock if he came home with a car. Ali finally did come home.  With a car.  And there I was delirious with pain and looking like death warmed over.

A fitting ending to the day, wouldn’t you say?

1. February 22, 2010 12:49 am

I hope you feel better, thats horrible!

2. February 22, 2010 1:16 am

So sorry you felt so bad, although considering the car sitution, it’s a wee bit funny.

Feel better though!

3. February 22, 2010 3:16 am

Oh no! I hope you feel better! At least your hubby got a new car 🙂

4. February 22, 2010 4:24 am

So sorry you felt sick!!!

Congrats on the car 🙂

5. February 22, 2010 5:14 am

Aww Ameena, I loved your writing in this post, but I’m sorry to hear that you’re not feeling well. Stomach troubles are the absolute worst and I hope that you’re feeling better soon.

Congrats on the new car, though! I can’t wait to see what Ali picked out after all this time.

6. February 22, 2010 5:36 am

ahh new cars are so fun 🙂 They make me nervous though… I had a little run in with a drain pipe the first month we had our pilot. good thing for hubby’s sanity, it was minor and a couple $100 it was good as new!!

7. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 22, 2010 6:06 am

Very great post as always….love how you tell stories!
    Sorry you do not feel well……
    What car did he get?

8. February 22, 2010 6:19 am

So what kind of car did he get?

9. February 22, 2010 6:20 am

I’m really sorry that you felt awful, but I couldn’t help but laugh out loud as I read this post! I’m glad that he finally got a car… it’s funny that he was able to drag it out that long, due to his parent’s being super nice & flexible!

10. Danielle permalink
    February 22, 2010 6:45 am

Ah, sorry you’re not feeling well 😕
    You attended a Nascar racing school?! That’s so cool 🙂

What kind of car did he come home with?

11. February 22, 2010 7:04 am

Sorry daaaaaahling, sounds like a sucky day 😦 so glad you finally got a car though, Hopefully life will get easier now.

12. February 22, 2010 7:14 am

Wow, that’s a long time for car shopping! You’re a patient woman. So I think you need to snap a shot for us. Just to see what the wait was all about. And hope your stomach feels better today!

13. February 22, 2010 7:20 am

Hope you’re feeling better today. Always a sign of a great writer to leave your readers hanging like that 😉 Congrats on the new car!

14. February 22, 2010 8:03 am

I hope you are feeling better but glad he finally got a car!

15. louisianagrown permalink
    February 22, 2010 8:42 am

Sorry that your stomach was acting up, but I sure am glad your husband finally bought a car. And it really cracks me up that you didn’t want to waste a good hair day. I think that all the time!

16. February 22, 2010 8:42 am

Must apologize, just realized I typed in your blog name incorrectly on my blogroll but that has been fixed now. Sorry 😦

17. February 22, 2010 8:43 am

Sorry to hear you were feeling well. I hope you are better today.

3 years ago when Raymond was looking to buy a new car we went from dealership to dealership trying to find the best car and price… We learned a lesson that I will pass on to you. First off he needs to narrow it down to 2 cars that he is debating.. second you need to devote a whole day to it… thrid… I let him play the nice husband who is sweet and easy going (which is very true in Raymond’s case) and I played the bitchy bossy wife who had no patience and was pissed that hubs is buying a new car…. it worked like charm… I negotiated the price of his car down by 5k… I negotiated price of his trade up by 1k so now we are 6K.. and then I ask for better financing and if they sales guy had any special finacing up his sleeve… and we got the car 6 yrs no intrest… woohoo… It was a long tiring day.. but well worth it 🙂

• February 22, 2010 12:30 pm

This is fabulous advice! You are obviously a very good negotiator. I will definitely remember this for the next time but I really hope I don’t have to use it for at least another 2 years. I think Ali leased his car for about that long. I am already dreading 2012!!

For me playing the bitchy wife isn’t such a stretch. Put me in a dealership with Ali and I am instantly in the worst mood ever!

18. February 22, 2010 9:16 am

Hey hon! Im so sorry to hear that you weren’t feeling well. Thats such a bummer. Glad you are better though. (Take care of yourself!!) Men and their cars..aahh. Too funny. My hubs is a car fanatic!.. me though? not so much. As long as it gets me from A to B Im happy. Ha!

So amazing though that you attended a nascar racing school! How awesome!! Congrats on the new car hon. I hope you have a fabulous day!

19. February 22, 2010 9:29 am

Sorry about the car nightmare, and even sorrier that you’re not feeling well! Get better, Ameena!

20. February 22, 2010 9:36 am

“So while he drove off bright and early to either find a car or hire a divorce lawyer…”
    Ha! I just love your humor. Glad he came home with a car. Hope you’re feeling better today!

21. Caroline permalink
    February 22, 2010 10:01 am

Your sarcasm kills me. I love it .. always get a smile out of reading your posts!

22. February 22, 2010 10:25 am

hahhaah! “i was determined not to waste a good hair day.” oh how i can relate to that one, though they’re few and far betweeN! loved reading about your car saga. very fitting ending indeed, hope you enjoy your new ride!

23. February 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Hope you are feeling better 🙂

On the bright side, thankfully Ali FINALLY got a car!! Cannot believe it took him that long.

24. actorsdiet permalink
    February 22, 2010 2:41 pm

well, that’s great news about the car. not so good about your stomach though….

25. February 22, 2010 2:55 pm

You poor thing! I hope you feel better!

What car did he pick? I cannot imagine taking that long. My husband takes a long time to decide on things… but ten months?!

26. February 22, 2010 3:01 pm

ive been meaning to try fresh corn grill, thanks for reminding me! my mental list of to-try places is getting a little extensive LOL.

hope u are feeling better!!!

February 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Hope you’re feeling better!
    The good news is you wont have to deal with car salesmen anymore. They can be really awful eh?

28. February 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Your humor is fantastic! (I loved that line about not wasting a good hair day…so true! 😉 ) Sorry for all the stress, but I’m glad your hubby got a car in the end! 🙂

29. February 22, 2010 6:24 pm

girl, your writing skills are beautiful. I loved this post.
    You seem so “real” as a mom and wife…not trying to paint the ever-perfect picture…love that 🙂

30. February 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Aww, feel better 😦 Get lots of rest if you can. You need to get out and take a ride in your new car!

31. February 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Haha, I have no use for nice cars either. As long as they can drive, I’m happy!
    Dang, I was really hoping you’re feeling much better already today! I hope your husband cheers you up by taking you out on a date in the new car!

32. February 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Oh my God what a day!! Despite all of the turmoil and panic, you are still so funny! I love your little remarks about “I didn’t want to waste a good hair day.” That is so true sometimes. So glad he got a car!

33. February 22, 2010 7:12 pm

See, you can’t put us through all that and then not tell us what kind of car Ali brought home. 🙂

Hope you’re feeling better –I’m sure having him come home helped?

34. February 22, 2010 8:28 pm

oh man! hope that youre feeling lots better

35. nadia khan permalink
    February 22, 2010 10:21 pm

oh girl, you really know how to leave us all hanging…which is why i just called your homeline after 10, so sorry;( couldn’t help myself…but as someone earlier mentioned, sign of a great writer, which you def are! love it meena, so proud of you and so excited to share your posts. so sorry about the tummy ache, what happened??
    XOXOXXOXO