Things that are Overrated

February 22, 2010

Because I care about ridiculous things like the “principle of the matter” I usually refuse to succumb to hype.  For example, I remember when H&M was finally opening in Los Angeles and people were waiting in line for days to be the first one in the store.  Why?  While I’m sure H&M carries some great stuff all it really is is a glorified Forever 21.  So why the big deal?  I was so bothered by the hype that I resolved not to step foot in H&M and I haven’t.

Remember Pinkberry’s five minutes of fame?  Was it a year or two ago that the craze was in full effect and people were lined up for 45 minutes to buy frozen yogurt?  The day I saw people camped out on a sidewalk waiting for the store near me to open, I decided there and then that I would NOT eat at Pinkberry.  Since when was frozen powdered milk topped with berries a novel concept worth spending half your day in line for?

I wish I could say that I stick to my principles 100% of the time, but I have had a few weak moments.  Moments that I am not proud of.  Some of which are as follows:

1. Barney Butter is overrated.

After hearing how delicious Barney Butter is I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought some from Whole Foods.  I’ve read so many reviews about how great this stuff is that I expected Barney Butter to be the next best thing since Nutella.  Or at the very least, I expected it to taste like almonds.  Instead, I paid $7.99 for a jar of bland almond butter that tastes like a less-good version of Trader Joe’s brand, except with added sugar and palm oil.  And a stupid name that conjures up visions of a purple dinosaur.

2. Rock & Republic jeans are overrated.

After stalking this pair of Rock & Republic jeans for months, I finally took my birthday money and bought them. They fit perfect!  I also fell in love with the back pockets.  The first day I wore them things started off well…I put them on and they looked great.  But little did I know that they would stretch more and more as the day progressed and by the afternoon I would be hiking them up every few minutes.  Classy, right?  Now I have to spend more money to have these altered so that my size 28 stays a size 28!

I need to learn to stop messing with what works – Paige jeans are cheaper than these, fit me the best, last forever, and are worth every penny.

3. Jake the Bachelor is overrated.

I’m not even sure where to start on this one.  I’ll give Jake the fact that he is semi-attractive and has good hair.  Plus the fact that he is a pilot gives him a uniqueness and respectability.  But the guy cries every 5 minutes, his clothing choices are kind of random, and he thinks he can channel Tom Cruise in Top Gun and get away with it.   If anyone can look past all that and Jake’s cheese ball nature, the fact that he finds Vienna even the slightest bit attractive?  A deal breaker for sure.  ABC needs to do better with their casting otherwise I will no longer be watching this silly show.

4. Three Cups of Tea is overrated.

I am a total sucker for feel-good books so when I found this very highly rated bestseller sitting around at my in-laws I couldn’t wait to read it. I have heard so many good things about this book!  But Three Cups of Tea has been sitting next to my bed for an entire year, and despite picking it up to read it a dozen times I cannot get through the first chapter.  What is with me and bestsellers these days?

5. New cars are overrated (This one is on behalf of Ali).  Guess who just called me to say that his battery is dead and his car is stuck at his office?  Sorry no photo but I wasn’t about to aggravate Ali further by asking him to take a picture of his brand new, dead car.  I’m sure you’ll agree that was a wise decision on my part.

Because I don’t want to be Negative Nelly, and since no post is complete without at least a mention of Maya, allow me to end with something that isn’t overrated:

Little girls who clean up their room, dress themselves in a cute outfit, eat breakfast, put their dishes by the sink, and then give you tons of goodbye hugs when you read them super long stories during goodbye time at school.

Sometimes having kids is definitely NOT overrated.

What do you think is overrated?

1. February 22, 2010 10:00 pm

I agree with everything you just said.
    I have spent thousands!!!! of dollars on jeans and really have no biz spending that kind of cash on pants but i have. and then they stretch out and dont fit precisely 2 hrs after you cut the tags off and are forever doomed.

I used to like Paige but they have failed me too.

now i am just a hippy yogi and live in Be Present pants.

And the coconut oil chocolate..i am still so happy bout that for you!

2. Kyle permalink
    February 22, 2010 10:36 pm

oh, SO glad you just informed me about barney butter. I research many of the different nut butters bloggers mention out of curiosity – most aren’t available here in Hawaii. Glad I didn’t pay for the shipping to try it. Thanks!
    I seriously think the pumpkin puree in overnight oats (and etc.) was overrated. The way everyone was writing about it made it sound like the best thing to happen to oatmeal add since pb but…alas… not so much. Maybe it’s just me 😮

3. February 22, 2010 10:46 pm

LOL I have not tried the Barney Butter so cannot speak about it. Nutella is definitely my girl’s fav since she has been having waffle and Nutella for the past 3 wks. Much agreed with the new car. It must be a Mercedes. Many people that I know had their Benz’s back in the shop often. May be the Lemon law still applies to a leased car. I think some of the profrssional atheles in the US are over-paid and over-rated. Ssome company CEO’s (names withheld) are also over-paid and their contributions are overrated. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt also. Dare I also mention some expensive designer brands…..

4. Danielle permalink
    February 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Haha I agree with you on the Barney Butter AND Jake the bachelor. That guy has 10x more emotion than I do…I couldn’t handle it.
    My jeans always loosen up by the end of the day! That’s why I’m always washing them- to shrink back to normal.

Another thing that’s overrated: Twitter. Sorry, had to say it.

5. February 23, 2010 12:00 am

i’ll wait till i pop out a kid to decide if they’re worth the trouble, but yours is certainly cute enough to prove your point ;). i’ve resisted the urge to buy barney butter bc of the added gunk, i think you’re probably right! it’s “on sale” aka a dollar less right now at WF but that’s still not cheap enough for me to be disappointed!

6. February 23, 2010 12:04 am

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks Barney Butter is over rated. Seriously… why add the extra stuff when the pure and natural stuff tastes even better!?

7. February 23, 2010 12:45 am

never tried barney butter, but i think almond butter is flavorless! ick. overrated!!

i feel you on the book! I can almost never pick up a book that’s a “popular best seller” because usually, they’re crap! the writing is lame, the plot is, at best, predictable, and I can never figure out what people see in it. Off the top of my head I’m thinking of The DaVinci Code (I’m sure I’m offending just about everyone, because everyone freaking loved that book) but I couldn’t get through the first page! It was ridiculous. I’ve tried…no go.

• February 23, 2010 7:31 am

It is so great to hear that I wasn’t the only one who didn’t like The DaVinci Code!! I kept wondering what was wrong with me?? I just couldn’t get through it.

• February 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Good to see more and more people agree on that count. The Da Vinci Code was definitely over-rated. Totally not worth the time invested in reading or the price of the book

8. February 23, 2010 3:15 am

I 100% agree with everything you wrote!!!!

Barney butter is WAY overrated. I don’t like it at all!

H&M IS a glorified Forever 21!

Rock & Republic jeans can stretch up to 1 1/2 sizes bigger than what you buy.

I can’t stand Jake on the Bachelor. Sometimes I think he thinks he’s an actor on Day’s of Our Lives. He has cheese balls soap opera actor written all over him.

I’ve never read 3 Cups of Tea…

You’re daughter is the cutest thing ever and can never be overrated 🙂

9. February 23, 2010 3:47 am

OH I toooooootally agree about barney butter!! I just don’t see it?!! I’ve only tried the little samples and the nut butters are all hard in those little packets and the flavor is ok, but nothing to write home about.

10. February 23, 2010 4:18 am

Arhg– I have wasted so much money on expensive jeans!! NO MORE!

Glad to hear that about BB– I’ve been dying to try it, but I totally realize that it absolutely cannot be as good as everyone in blog world says it is.

11. February 23, 2010 5:05 am

I’m with you on the Barney butter and Jake. If he could like someone like Vienna you gotta wonder. Other things that are over-rated? Shirataki noodles and stevia come to mind.

12. February 23, 2010 5:09 am

I’m so glad that your guest post on Sophia’s blog brought me to your beautiful blog! 🙂 I absolutely loved this post… 🙂 I’m so glad you told me about the Barney butter – I’d been contemplating caving in and purchasing some, but I’m definitely saving my funds now, thanks to you! 🙂

The picture of your daughter is so beautiful!! 🙂

13. February 23, 2010 5:12 am

i totally agree. i tend to avoid hyped up items / trends like the plague. the lone exception being in high school when i got my bellybutton pierced haha

and that is an adorable picture of your daughter!

14. February 23, 2010 5:17 am

Things that come with a lot of hype tend to turn me off as well. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to standing in line outside a frozen yogurt store just to get a taste… I won’t even stand in line to get good seats at a movie on opening night. I usually prefer to do things after the hype has died down.

That being said, I’ve spent way too much money on expensive jeans… but I think I’ve learnt my lesson.

15. fitandfortysomething permalink
    February 23, 2010 5:45 am

First off totally agree about three cups of tea.
    Secondly must try the paige jeans-never have!
    Third, your daughter is a doll!
    What is overrated is…….In and Out Burger. I simply cannot understand why people like to eat there!
    Have a great day.
    xoxo

16. February 23, 2010 6:10 am

The problem with popularity (esp regarding food) is that once a restaurant gets fame and the word spreads around, they have to face with the challenge of maintaining their standards and catering to the increased crowd at the same time. And unfortunately, the standards drop most of the time and then people start complaining that it isn’t that good after all. So ironic isn’t it.

I also agree that alot of clothes/shoe brands are overrated. I’m quite susceptible to getting blisters, so once my mum bought this rather expensive pair of pumps for me form Nine West. Unofortunately, it still caused blisters. But the pair of pumps that I bought for ~$20 from Target in Australia has not caused any problems thus far!

17. February 23, 2010 6:15 am

DEFINITELY #3….!!!

18. February 23, 2010 6:38 am

OMG I just died laughing. Okay, Barney Butter- I bought into it, and here I am with 2 jars left b/c I insisted on buying excessive quantities on Amazon. Oh, and are you trying to say that you don’t love Jake the Bachelor’s turtlenecks and khaki pants? I thought for sure that ABC would have someone dress him? I don’t get it.

That’s crazy that Ali’s car battery already died… the car sounds like it’s on its way to lemon law city!

19. Erin permalink
    February 23, 2010 6:39 am

Kids are never overrated. Barney Butter, however, is nasty!

20. February 23, 2010 7:02 am

Ugh, the Bachelor. Ick. I only watched one episode but that guy is cheesy and those girls are whiny and annoying. I wish I could train my husband as well as you’ve trained your daughter. Right now I’m working on getting him to put his clothes in the laundry basket, not near it. Apparently he thinks that’s overrated.

21. February 23, 2010 8:17 am

I love this!! I agree about Jake. I still watch because it’s my mindless fix, but I’ve definitely fast-forwarded through most of this season. Good to know about the Barney Butter… I’ve been wanting to jump on the band wagon, but you’ve inspired me not too.

That sucks about the car 😦

22. February 23, 2010 8:22 am

Pinkberry – Definitely agree with you on THAT trend. Also, if we’re going with the LA-trendy stuff, “Sprinkles” cupcakes are totally overrated. In general, I’m over the cupcake trend, but I never was a fan of “Sprinkles” and didn’t understand the ubiquitous line out the door.
    Reality TV in general. Where to begin?
    Fun topic!

• February 23, 2010 12:25 pm

How could I forget Sprinkles! I refuse to wait in their ridiculous line and the fact they keep the door shut to “protect” their cupcakes? There are just no words!!

23. February 23, 2010 8:41 am

I am with you… if I hear a big hype about something I just stay away… simply because 9.5 out of 10 it is overrated.

So are you rethinking the car shopping advice that I gave you.. lol.. you might be back a dealer before 2012 lol (sorry)

Thanks for your honest review of Barney Butter. I have seen it everywhere and everyone is just in love with it… I have to admit I wasn’t about to go buy it since I am in love with Maranatha almond butter (raw) only ingredients.. Almonds. But I was curious about all the hype..

Here is a list of things that I think are overrated;
    – Coach Purse
    – Ed Hardy
    I can go on but those two are the ones that really get under my skin

24. Susan permalink
    February 23, 2010 8:56 am

Expensive clothes in general are most definitely overrated. And while I do agree that reality tv is overrated, I’m not gonna stop watchin’ anytime soon haha!

Also sometimes I think whole foods is overrated (let the stones start flying!). I much prefer farmers markets and trader joe’s.

25. February 23, 2010 9:51 am

Everytime I see a photo of Maya I get the urge adopt a daughter. She has such a beautiful face.

I haven’t tried Barney Butter or the like (Vitatops, Oikos, PB Puffins, Lara bars…), because they’re WAY out of my price range. But I don’t put much stake in hype–the only time I’ve jumped on a bandwagon wholeheartedly was when Green Monsters entered the scene. And those you make yourself.

26. February 23, 2010 10:09 am

Haha, Maya is the best!
    I have to agree with you on all this. I also think H&M is just a glorified Forever 21 (and I’m convinced that the ones in Europe that I’ve been to carried far better clothes). Pinkberry is also a mystery to me (as is frozen yogurt in general. I’ll have it a few times a year, but it’s always so grainy). I don’t understand Barney Butter, I hate jeans that stretch, and the bachelor makes me slightly nauseated. I’ve had “Three Cups of Tea” on my shelf for years, but I can’t open it. To me, the title reads, “Three Cups of Sure-to-Disappoint Tea.”
    I think Whole Foods is overrated. I go in there and have a panic attack. Way too much selection. I’m pretty sure orthorexia was created in those aisles.
    I think those shows with dancing celebrities are overrated.
    I think shows with any kind of dancing are overrated.
    Same for singing.
    I think pumpkin is overrated. It tastes like baby food to me.
    I think Taylor Swift is overrated.
    I think having a job is overrated.

I could go on.

27. February 23, 2010 10:21 am

Your daughter is precious. You are so lucky! i can’t wait to have kids sometimes… but then i re-think that haha

I have to disagree about Barney Butter, I love the stuff, but to each his own.
    As for Jake… OMG. Is it just me, or does he seem SUPER fake?! I mean yeah he looks good and all but really? NO thanks. No one is that perfect.

I have to say that dating is super, mondo, majorly overrated..
    as is Survivor, talking on the phone, American Idol, Hummers, and Abercrombie.

28. February 23, 2010 10:34 am

Love this list. Once again, you write one of the best posts on one of the best blogs I know!

29. February 23, 2010 11:16 am

I am clearly not a trend setter or I am afraid to be lashed out by hundreds of blog reader. My thoughts exactly about the Barney Butter, first it is freaking expensive, second where I live it is not easily found in the regular stores. I believe my store bought version tastes exactly the same. So yeah!

30. February 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Sorry Ameena. My email address was incorrect when I submitted the comment last night. Yippie yea on agreeing about Brad & Tom. Thanks. I need to check the email next time around.

February 23, 2010 12:02 pm

I totally agree with you. Especially when it comes to expensive jeans. I dont pay more than $40 for my Warehouse One jeans and they last forever and look just as good as the expensive ones.

32. February 23, 2010 12:12 pm

I whole heartedly agree with you about the Barney Butter. I thought it was disgusting and so upset that I spent that kind of money. I like TJ’s WAY better as well and it has a much better ingredients list. Almonds.

33. February 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Yep… I think Barney Butter kind of tastes like Jif. I can hardly tell it’s made from almonds! I do like to keep the packets in my desk, though.

Reality TV. Seriously, I don’t understand how people spend hours and hours watching it.

34. February 23, 2010 12:44 pm

awe…Maya is such a sweetie. she could definitely teach my 3 yr old daughter a thing or two. i totally agree, children are definitely not overrated. all those sleepless nights parents stay awake with their babies is a small price to pay for all the hugs, kisses, and love we get back.hope you have a great day 🙂

35. February 23, 2010 1:34 pm

ha! great post! I think fad diets couldn’t be more overrated! 🙂

36. lowandbhold permalink
    February 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Haha, loved this post. Personally, I think The Office is overrated. I love many of the cast members, but I just don’t love it. And I refuse to watch it just so I can exchange witty banter with people who find themselves to be exponentially cooler than those who don’t watch.

37. February 23, 2010 5:20 pm

Oh my god I looove you for posting this. I agree with your list of things that are overrated. Jake? Definitely. Barney Butter? Try Maranatha.
    But you were so right about your precious little girl!
    Have a lovely night!

38. February 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Love this post! Believe it or not I’ve actually never tried Barney Butter…and now I don’t think I will, lol!

Your daughter is an absolute sweetie!

39. February 23, 2010 9:05 pm

I’ve never tried those jeans but have you tried Mavi? They aren’t too pricey and the pair I bought are the love of my life. They fit SO well and I wear them for about a week without washing (is that gross?) since they don’t stretch or get annoying.

I’m not sure what I think is overrated.. oats in a jar. Never tried it, probably never will. I like my oats in a bowl.. possibly a cup if I’m being creative/lazy.

40. actorsdiet permalink
    February 23, 2010 11:28 pm

i feel like there are SO MANY THINGS in the world that are overrated. i try not to have expectations anymore!!!

41. February 24, 2010 1:50 pm

i feel you on that book. i just CANNOT get through it and i actually feel badly about it 🙂

42. February 24, 2010 4:54 pm

I love this post, tell it like it is! I think that anything “keeping up with the Jones’ is overated!” haha… I also think that Carraba’s and really any chain resturant is way overated…

Great Blog!

43. February 25, 2010 8:25 am

Barney butter is def overrated. So is Kabocha squash (good, but no better than acorn or delicata). 3 CUPS OF TEA was mediocre, and so was THE KITE RUNNER. Most of NYC’s big ‘ole fancy restaurants are overrated (Le Cirque? Le Bernardin? Whatevs).

Should I go on? 🙂

44. February 27, 2010 1:35 pm

FIRST – I agree with you that any roasted almond butter is overrated. It’s so disappointing it’s not funny. Go raw. Or make it yourself. Making it at home is the best.

SECOND – GENA I LOVE YOU!!! I have been quietly questioning the kabocha squash craze for so long. Gimme butternut any day. Oh yeah, and I agree about Hosseini as well.

THIRD – Nice to end with a cute pic of your cutie. Def NOT overrated.