an impressive reproduction

December 2, 2011

While my husband has no problem living among chaos and clutter, it is incomprehensible that his car would be in anything but pristine condition. This means that whatever money he isn’t spending on Starbucks lattes goes towards washing his precious automobile.

You’re probably wondering “Why do you care how often he gets his car washed Ameena, as long as you don’t have to do it?”

Well I’m annoyed because despite my numerous requests, my husband refuses to remove my sunglasses from his car prior to taking it to the car wash. This means that my glasses keep getting stolen.

Ameena's Sunglasses - 2009-2011

Instead of doing the smart thing – which would be troll eBay for a replacement pair – my husband asked the following question:

Ali: “Why do you keep putting sunglasses in my car?”

Me:  “Allow me to break it down for you for the billionth time: I keep a pair in your car so that when you’re out of gas and take my car – yet again – I am able to ensure minimal exposure to the blinding L.A. sun. “

As expected, my complaint was met with total silence. Instead, Ali left this admittedly impressive reproduction of my glasses on my desk this morning. Because apparently, it’s supposed to make up for the fact that the real ones are gone.

There’s nothing left to say. Except maybe RIP wherever you are pretty Chanel glasses.

1. December 2, 2011 1:02 am

We could analyse his behaviour all day and try and determine the best way of changing it so that your glasses do not get carted off with the car when it goes for a wash. But who has time to do that?

The solution is simple – every time your glasses are stolen, he buys you a replacement pair.

Job done……? 😉

I’m with you on this car-is-clean-but-house-is-not thing with men – my brother is the same. Bright, shiny car – cluttered house. Weird.

– Razwana

• December 2, 2011 3:03 pm

I don’t want to keep buying the same thing over and over though, especially since sunglasses are not cheap. So frustrating!

2. December 2, 2011 1:47 am

It drives me nuts how anal men are about cars! Like, I can appreciate a nice vehicle and everything, but at the end of the day it gets you from point A to point B. I couldn’t care less if it has a v8 engine and 475930 horse power.

And that is annoying about your glasses – although I have to admit Ali’s memorial drawing made me laugh :). Have a great weekend Ameena!

• December 2, 2011 3:04 pm

Exactly…when we were buying my car Ali wanted me to get a supercharged engine (or something like that) and I said, who cares what’s under the hood if the car looks nice?

3. December 2, 2011 2:59 am

Oh MY! Chanel ones gone??

My toddler breaks my glasses each time I buy them, so I have decided not to buy me a new one until she grows up a little to understand how it pains to see your favourite glasses lying in a corner, in pieces.

That drawing is very cute, by the way.

• December 2, 2011 3:04 pm

Maya broke my sunglasses once too…and they were prescription! I was so upset.

4. December 2, 2011 4:54 am

Oh dear. Chanel. He’s not going to get off that easy.

5. December 2, 2011 5:00 am

I would’ve maybe sided with Ali on this one but we had this conversation minutes ago. I asked Marc “did you get my ipod from the car?” He said “no but I saw it there”. I said “if you saw it who didn’t you bring it to me so I can run?” He said he forgot. I hope the garage attendant likes audiobooks. Crap.

• December 2, 2011 3:05 pm

Typical. I don’t know what else to say but that.

6. December 2, 2011 5:28 am

Well if it is any consolation I am sure someone’s girlfriend is getting a really nice Christmas present this year.

When or when is Ali going to get it together!

• December 2, 2011 3:05 pm

I’m not sure if I feel good for the girlfriend or bad for her…after all, she’s getting a pair of used glasses with a scratch on the left lens!

7. December 2, 2011 6:51 am

Hahaha.. I’m sorry but Ali’s funny with that sunglasses drawing. Make him buy you a new pair everytime they’re missing! It’s Chanel for goodness’ sake!
    Have a great weekend!

• December 2, 2011 3:06 pm

I don’t want to keep wasting money on sunglasses though…it’s so frustrating!

8. December 2, 2011 6:52 am

Ha, that is a pretty good rendering of them! I would be pissed if my sunglasses kept getting stolen. You should talk to the manager at whatever place Ali takes the car.

• December 2, 2011 3:07 pm

They just don’t care! They even have signs to remove valuables before leaving the car. Too bad Ali doesn’t read/care about the signs…

9. December 2, 2011 6:52 am

Aw man! Of COURSE you have to keep a pair in the car. There is nothing worst than starting your drive and realizing that, when the sun comes out, you are without eye protection… doesn’t he know this?!?!?!

• December 2, 2011 3:07 pm

Finally. Someone else who understands the need for protective eye wear!

10. December 2, 2011 7:06 am

Heavy sigh…Men! I find little drawings of Me scattered around the house among the tumult. At least Ali is neat in his car. Ralph does not speak “neat.” Ralph is always losing His sunglasses and asking me where they are…as I said earlier…Men!!

• December 2, 2011 3:08 pm

Ali loses his sunglasses too but he doesn’t seem to care. Of course they aren’t Chanel so maybe that’s why?

11. December 2, 2011 7:15 am

That drawing is a work of art!! Keep it – seriously.

• December 2, 2011 3:08 pm

A work of art? Or a constant reminder of what’s gone…

12. December 2, 2011 7:48 am

First of all, I love that blue chair! And secondly, perhaps Ali needs to work on his drawing skills….that picture looks more like a fancy bra, haha! 🙂

13. December 2, 2011 8:08 am

Not Chanel glasses! Cry!

14. December 2, 2011 8:15 am

Oh I would not stand for that! Brandon always takes my car and never puts gas in it and I feel like there has to be some sort of equally annoying retaliation out there that I haven’t discovered. Maybe like drink almost all his beers and just leave a centimeter of beer in each can?

• December 2, 2011 3:09 pm

I’ve contemplated retaliation but the only thing I can do to piss him off is to ruin his computer or car. And I am not capable of either!

15. December 2, 2011 8:24 am

Ameena,

I have a blog award waiting for you on my blog. Do check out my latest post. Congrats!
    XX

• December 2, 2011 3:09 pm

Anita…how sweet are you? I can’t wait to check it out.

16. December 2, 2011 8:29 am

I think it’s smart to leave an extra pair in his car, but ouch, so many pairs stolen? Can’t you talk to the Car Wash Manager? Since I fancy myself a Detective I would try and figure this whole thing out. I get bummed when my $10 pair go missing.

And double bummer that your comments have been going to spam (whatever and wherever that is), but hopefully it’s working now.

• December 2, 2011 3:10 pm

I haven’t talked to anyone about the missing glasses…because I want Ali to! But we both know that’s unlikely to happen. Sigh…

17. December 2, 2011 9:18 am

Oh dear. You need to have Ali install a hidden video camera in his car before he goes to the car wash again. That way you can catch the theft on tape and demand justice. Plus it’s kinda techy, so maybe Ali will get into that???

• December 2, 2011 3:11 pm

You make a good point Andrea! If it involves wiring Ali might be interested in setting a trap…

18. December 2, 2011 9:33 am

LOL…i imagined you ‘breaking it down’ while explaining to ali.

• December 2, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah…breaking it down is a euphemism for going ape sh#$ crazy. 🙂

19. Tandra permalink
    December 2, 2011 10:34 am

Ameena, all sympathies to you for having lost your Chanel glasses, I hope Ali gets you a better pair each time…but I must say, the highlight of this post is his sketch…it threw me in splits 😉

• December 2, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you Tandra…for your sympathy! And for your compliment of Ali’s drawing. If he’s reading this he’ll at least see one positive comment. 🙂

20. December 2, 2011 10:45 am

I’m upset about those Chanel Sunglasses, I think I’d cry and make him buy me a new pair, and that doesn’t count as a xmas gift. Men are definitely challenging to live with… do you actually say those things to him – calmly? I’m crazy when I get angry.
    Btw… I LOVE THAT CHAIR! Please enlighten me. 🙂

• December 2, 2011 3:12 pm

I wasn’t calm at all…are you kidding? I PG-13 everything for the blog, trust me.

And the chair is from Overstock.com. It was a fabulous deal!

21. December 2, 2011 10:47 am

And this is why I get my glasses from Forever 21, for $7.99 I can get TWO pairs!!!

• December 2, 2011 3:13 pm

Maybe you are on to something here….but I bet the minute I buy cheap sunglasses Ali will start taking them out of the car at the car wash!

22. Heavenly Housewife permalink
    December 2, 2011 11:12 am

Easy solution: Ali needs to go shopping with you for a fabulous new pair. When he sees how much a pair of Chanel glasses cost, he’ll definitely be more careful in the future 🙂
    P.S. ali’s picture was so cute, it made me laugh– but I’m guessing it p’d you off

• December 2, 2011 3:13 pm

His picture confused me more than anything…what do I do with a constant reminder of what’s now gone forever??

23. December 2, 2011 11:49 am

I never spend more than $20 on sunglasses for this very reason. That, and, my dog loves to chew them to pieces. *sigh*

Also, your orchids are incredible!! I think I’ve officially killed mine. Why is it so hard for me to keep something alive?!

• December 2, 2011 3:14 pm

I usually kill every orchid I buy within 2 months. This one has been flourishing…somehow. Knock on wood….

24. December 2, 2011 11:53 am

lol well at least Ali was nice enough to draw you a picture.

You could always demonstrate the importance of these things by taking your car to be washed and leaving his iphone on the front seat. 🙂

• December 2, 2011 3:15 pm

But then he’ll just buy another iPhone and we’ll be out the money it took to replace my glasses and his iPhone. Co-mingling funds is no fun.

25. December 2, 2011 12:02 pm

I think Ali needs a reminder of the pricetag that Chanel comes with. I guarantee you will never ‘lose’ another pair again!

• December 2, 2011 3:15 pm

Are you kidding? Ali doesn’t worry about money. That’s my job as the conservative one in the relationship!

26. December 2, 2011 1:15 pm

oh that stinks about the glassed!! Ali can be so frustrating, grrrr 😉

27. December 2, 2011 1:35 pm

You’re going to have to get yourself a dozen or so pairs from the dollar store to leave visible in the car! Maybe stick the expensive ones under the seat where no one will think to look for them! Ouch. I feel your pain, my friend!

• December 2, 2011 3:16 pm

Good point. Maybe I can hide them somewhere other than the side pocket…

28. December 2, 2011 1:39 pm

How on earth is Ali alive? I would die if my chanel sunglasses where stolen. Or atleast destroy his car. Oh yes! I’m like that 😀 You should be proud of your patience!

• December 2, 2011 3:16 pm

See Ali? Someone thinks I have patience! Imagine that.

29. December 2, 2011 1:40 pm

Eeeks! Did he at least surprise you with a new pair?

30. December 2, 2011 4:02 pm

Dang girl, that freakin stinks. I lost a couple of pairs of brandies, so reverted to the servo sunnies for $15. The thing is…. They NEVER break and no one wants them. Not even the car cleaning guys. Lol! Hope you find some newbies. 🙂

• December 3, 2011 8:18 am

Love your Australian ling…servo sunnies? I love it!

31. December 2, 2011 5:09 pm

I think you should get a cheaper pare for Ali’s car, maybe some Chanel knock offs for 10$, you have to look good when driving. For now copy that drawing and replace all his glasses with it, maybe he will “see” the frustration.

• December 3, 2011 8:19 am

“See the frustration” is hysterical. Great play on words…

32. December 2, 2011 7:03 pm

I agree with polwig. A cheaper pair will make you not quite so sentimental when they get stolen for the umpteenth time. With three small terrors living in my house (and one rather large one), I only buy the under $20 style. Love the picture though. That’s a much better drawing then my husband could ever put together.

• December 3, 2011 8:20 am

I can’t draw a stick figure so I too was pretty impressed with the drawing! And I’m assuming your large terror is your husband? Too funny.

33. December 2, 2011 8:40 pm

No matter where I put sunglasses – on a shelf, in a car, in MI, in NY – they WILL end up lost. I only buy cheap pairs now. I’m actually really proud of myself because I have kept the same semi-designer pair for seven months now. They were $40, which is 4 times my normal sunglass-spending-limit.

It might be annoying that it is technically ali’s fault that they keep getting stolen, BUT maybe the gods are just….trying to tell you to buy cheaper sunglasses? 🙂 IDK…

Sunglasses are one of those things where I feel like it doesn’t reflect poorly on my style to have really cheapy ones? I wouldn’t wear clothes from wal mart, but I have no prob with sunglasses purchased on the street, lol.

• December 3, 2011 8:21 am

I don’t have a Wal-Mart near me but I have to say I’d wear Target’s clothes in a second. Me and Maya love their cute stuff. And to be honest, most of my sunglasses are gifted to me by my MIL. If I had to buy them I’d probably buy them from Target too!

• December 4, 2011 7:54 pm

I LOVE target clothes. But I draw the line at wal mart. 🙂

34. December 2, 2011 9:22 pm

I know it’s already been said above but my vote is that Ali gets you a new pair!

• December 3, 2011 8:24 am

Let’s be honest, it’s more likely that my amazingly stylish MIL will be getting me a new pair. Not Ali!

35. December 2, 2011 10:21 pm

I do understand. There are certain things in life that one cannot live without. Case in point: Multiple pairs of sunglasses. Someday, I’ll have a really nice pair that I will never lose. Until then, I go for big and cheap, and hopefully adequate UV protection.

• December 3, 2011 8:25 am

I dream of that day…a day my sunglasses aren’t lost or stolen!

And as an aside, if that’s all I have to worry about it sort of puts things into perspective… 🙂

36. December 3, 2011 2:22 am

I have two CHEAP pairs (less than $15 each) that are always roaming around. Then I am not off in la la land searching all the time.
    🙂 Makes sense to me

37. December 3, 2011 2:45 am

Sorry, but based only from what I read, you have married an inconsiderate, self-centered, dumba$$. if he doesn’t show early signs of improvement, either adapt yourself to accept behaviours like this forever, or if you don’t see that as possible, develop an exit plan. If it really nerves you, don’t keep kicking the can down the street hoping for change, take action before you have too much time, emotional capital an youth invested to thnk of exiting.

• December 3, 2011 8:28 am

I can see why you’d write this…especially since I have a flair for the dramatic and I usually discuss Ali’s bad habits more than his good. But really, he is a good guy with irritating quirks.

Also, if he had a blog and wrote about my annoying habits (which are many!) then I’m sure people would tell him to kick me to the curb. And I wouldn’t blame them.

In any case, thanks for reading! And commenting.

38. December 3, 2011 4:30 am

It’s a shame but on the bright side you get a new pair!
    🙂

• December 3, 2011 8:28 am

The silver lining…it exists even in this situation! 🙂

39. December 3, 2011 8:07 am

I now completely understand where all of Maya’s artistic expression comes from.

I don’t know what sort of carwash this is, but you need to start complaining to management even if they do post signs. Leaving something in your car is not your donation to an employee. It is not permission to violate or plunder your property. Absolutely ridiculous.

• December 3, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks to their warning signs – posted everywhere – they are not responsible! It is absolutely ridiculous.

40. December 3, 2011 3:57 pm

Time to find a new car wash place.

41. December 3, 2011 6:35 pm

First of all – the said glasses in question were NOT lost. Apparently, I am so programmed to be careful of my wife’s belongings that I could not concretely recall moving them out of the car and keeping them safely in HER car. Thus, missing glasses now not missing.

However, I do admit, today’s car wash run that I did for my wife…

I not only picked up her glasses but kept a clenched fist around them the entire time during the car wash.

• December 4, 2011 7:42 am

I’m thankful to have my glasses back but I am mystified as to how you can move them and yet forget about moving them.

So confused….

42. December 4, 2011 6:22 am

People actually steal your sun glasses?! Cant you go back to the car wash and complain?

• December 4, 2011 7:43 am

I’ve had quite a bit stolen at different car washes including my CDs, sunglasses, spare change…you name it!

43. December 4, 2011 6:26 am

What is it with men getting their cars cleaned like crazies??????
    anyways you will get new glasses now so I guess you can be happy for that 🙂 🙂

• December 4, 2011 7:43 am

I know Purvi…If only he’d clean up his closet half as well as his car…

44. December 4, 2011 8:03 am

I was totally confused for a minute, because in these parts, a car wash implies washing just the outside of the car and you do it yourself. If you get your car detailed, which it sounds like Ali did, then yes, you’ll have someone else in your car. Took me a couple of reads through the post to sort myself out 😉

I keep my glasses in my purse because the optical people told me not to keep them in the car as high temperatures can cause distortion of the frames and I don’t want anything to happen to my precious sunglasses. I can feel your pain, because I might actually cry if I lost my favourite Prada glasses. (But if I read Ali’s comment correctly, the glasses have been found – woohoo!)

• December 4, 2011 7:13 pm

When you get a car was here in LA they actually clean the inside as well. It wasn’t a detail!

And yes…the glasses have been found. What a relief.

45. December 4, 2011 11:52 am

hahahaha. i feel like i would have responded to that drawing… less by taking a photo, and maybe a little more by ripping. they do look pretty adorable. but they may do the opposite for the awful LA sun… like how everything is blindingly bright in the snow? hold up the white-paper-sunglasses, and instantly lose your eyesight. :p

• December 4, 2011 7:14 pm

I think I am the only person in LA who finds the blinding sun irritating!

46. December 4, 2011 4:38 pm

That is terrible that they keep getting stolen and now you have to wear paper ones, how will you see!? c

47. December 5, 2011 1:17 am

The most annoying part is not the stolen glasses… but that he keeps doing the same thing over – and over – that results in the stolen glasses. SO frustrating! There has to be a way to retrain this behavior. I mean – there has to be – or else there is no hope for a girl like me who is just starting out on her marriage voyage. *worried*

• December 5, 2011 9:16 pm

Yes…SO frustrating! Finally, someone understands the need to retrain. 🙂 I’m worried for you my friend.

48. December 5, 2011 5:31 am

Oh boy! Sounds like a typical conversation. Ryan actually leaves his in my car a lot because we take mine on the weekends. Then when they do disappear I have no idea because I really do not know what he does with them. Usually he brought them in and stuck them somewhere and forgot but thought they were still in my car. Not good that yours were stolen.

• December 5, 2011 9:17 pm

They’ve been found! Because Ali put them in my car and didn’t bother to remember to tell me. Sigh….

49. December 5, 2011 10:14 am

I keep giggling at those paper sunglasses, which I know is so wrong, but … *giggle* Oh, Ameena … I sympathize with you so much. How frustrating for you! And Chanel! It’s amazing how men have some sort of selective hearing that keeps them from fully comprehending what we tell them. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked Peter not to dump his stuff all over the floor, so that when I’m walking around in the dark in the midst of an episode of insomnia, I won’t trip and break something. Guess what happened last night.

Have a wonderful week, Ameena! Treat yourself to some new sunglasses!

• December 5, 2011 9:17 pm

Sorry about the stuff on the floor and the tripping…I hope you didn’t break something!!

50. December 5, 2011 10:19 am

we think alike. I would have done the same. I can’t believe the chanel are gone. I would have hid his laptop or something in revenege. whoops, did i just say that?
    😉

• December 5, 2011 9:19 pm

Messing with Ali’s laptop is just…not possible. As much as I’m tempted I’m not crazy!

51. December 5, 2011 11:09 am

those are pretty glasses, even in the pic…sometimes losing the old is a doorway to invite the new-forward him the bill for every new pair bought each time this encores…maybe the solution to your problem comes your way:-)

• December 5, 2011 9:19 pm

The problem with being married is sharing a checking account. So really, I’m just forwarding myself the bill!!

52. December 5, 2011 11:20 am

oh no!!! that’s why all of my sunglasses are $10 and come from the venice boardwalk…

53. December 5, 2011 12:44 pm

I’m sorry my dear, but LOL at the sunglasses picture. At least your husband knows what cleaning the car means. My husband doesn’t understand any form of the word clean. Love your Orchid, btw.

• December 5, 2011 9:24 pm

Thank you LeQuan. I think this orchid is going on 3 months which is a new record for me.

54. December 5, 2011 4:33 pm

Good one!

55. Leslie permalink
    December 5, 2011 4:54 pm

Ali took time to draw you a pair? Please tell me you’ll date the drawing, then kiss it, savor it, save it. What a sweet, sweet gesture. I say, “All is forgiven…” because Ali is so creative and romantic.

• December 5, 2011 9:24 pm

That’s one way to look at it Leslie! 🙂 I was offended he thought a picture could replace the real thing.

56. nadia khan permalink
    December 5, 2011 8:46 pm

awww, so sorry ameena…i had my fav chanels stolen too:( which is why i never buy $100+ glasses any longer….so sad to learn the hard way, i don’t think i’ve gotten over it still:( but love ali’s drawing…doesn’t quite replace the real thing though.
    xoxox

57. December 5, 2011 9:03 pm

—Chanel?

I want me some of those !! ))) x

perhaps you need to buy a cheap pair for hub’s car…

58. December 5, 2011 10:13 pm

OMG!!!! Chanel….

God my husband is same, I think all men are like that may be….
    It is really frustrating buying same stuff over and over again, but my dear friend go-ahead and buy them… again and again and again, I am sure one day your dear H will understand…
    Atleast mine have started, some what.

59. December 5, 2011 10:41 pm

I am the one taking care of the cleanliness of the cars since my Quay Lo travels so much. I like my cars neat and clean but if something more important to do than going to the car wash, they can wait:D

60. December 6, 2011 2:55 am

The drawing is priceless. I suppose you could keep a not-so-expensive pair in the car…

61. December 7, 2011 3:25 am

I can only think about the lucky person who got your Chanel sunglasses. Sigh!

62. December 8, 2011 5:27 pm

Maybe you should leave a pair of cheap sunglasses in his car,

63. December 10, 2011 12:38 pm

I think you should buy 2 new pairs, then make several photo copies of the receipt…placing a copy in every location that he would see them in. Examples, tape one to his cell phone…to his laptop keyboard, maybe in the window of his favorite Starbucks 😉

• December 10, 2011 9:31 pm

He has way too many favorite Starbucks for this to work. Love the idea though… 🙂

64. December 12, 2011 8:43 am

Shaune has the same reasoning abilities. He is famous for leaving the kids stuff – he loses hats, forgets to bring home Deaglan’s lunch box or snow pants and when I question him about it in frustration he always asks this: Why do you trust me to be responsible for these things? He leaves me speechless at these times.