A French Lesson

January 29, 2010

Maya has been asking me for months now if she can learn French.  Damn that Fancy Nancy and her bad influence!  I have been humoring her all this time because I figured she’d forget about it but apparently my child has a memory like an elephant.  So I stopped being lazy, did a little research, and took her to a class this afternoon.

Who knew that so many preschoolers had such extensive language needs?  When I was Maya’s age I think my parents were just pleased I could speak English without utilizing the word “ain’t.”  Learning another language never even entered the picture.

Initially the teacher was concerned that Maya would have separation issues…she clearly has no idea that my daughter is willing to spend time with just about anyone else if it means she gets time away from her crazy mother.

Things were kind of chaotic with the teacher talking at an extremely rapid pace and in a very loud voice.  I don’t think she understood that I was serious when I said that Maya doesn’t know any more than Bonjour.  After the 45 minute class was over I asked Maya what she learned and she said, “I don’t know, Mama.  I think I need some more classes.”  I wonder if that was Maya talking…or the teacher talking?

After French we headed to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner…Fresh Corn Grill

Fresh Corn Grill is conveniently located near our place in Westwood.  But the parking, or lack thereof, is a nightmare!  We had to circle the block a few times to finally score a parking meter.

The restaurant is quite small and isn’t exactly a dining destination so we usually just use Fresh Corn Grill for catering.  And they do an amazing job at catering!  But I was craving a salad tonight and since I wasn’t exactly about to turn heads in my soccer mom ensemble:

We figured we’d forgo ambiance for good food.

Fresh Corn Grill is the kind of casual place where you place your order at the counter and they bring you your food when it’s ready.

Maya usually loves Fresh Corn Grill but today she was in a bad mood and said she “didn’t want anything” from the restaurant.  “Not one thing.”  She brought her own pasta instead.  I had no idea what her deal was, but I was too excited about my salad to really care.

I had the Fresh Corn Grilled Salad with Salmon (corn, zucchini, scallions, asparagus, tomato, and avocado tossed in a house vinaigrette).  It was fabulous.  I pretended not to notice Maya longingly eyeing my salmon.  But she would not be ignored.

“I wish I could have some salmon,” she kept sighing.  And after I gave her a couple of bites she said, “I wish if I could have some more.”  I told her she could have more of my salad but the rest of the salmon was all mine.  She huffed and puffed but I would not back down.  I told you I don’t share very well.

Ali had the Grilled Chicken with Caribbean Sauce and Grilled Zucchini.  I didn’t hear any complaints coming from his direction but he wasn’t exactly laying on the compliments either.  Again, I didn’t really care because I was too excited about my salad, which he incidentally ate half of.

It’s another exciting Friday night around here…I am about to break out some chocolate and watch Sunshine Cleaning.  I hope you are all out doing some more interesting than me!

1. January 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I’ve been longing to learn French too 😀 Still not getting around to it. I wish I’d learnt it as a kid – I was pretty ignorant then. May sure knows what she wants!

I don’t blame your family for eating part of your food. That salad really looks delicious – despite all the greens.

2. January 29, 2010 11:31 pm

bonjour! maya’s little sponge brain will soak up all that knowledge. so cool!

3. January 30, 2010 1:54 am

Good for your daughter!! It will be so much easier for her to pick it up now!!! that’s fantastic!

4. January 30, 2010 5:09 am

That is so cute that she wants to learn French. When I was her age, I just wanted to play with my cabbage patch dolls!

5. January 30, 2010 5:26 am

Excellent post. I did french all during high school…would love to be fluent in more languages….I can barely handle my own english 🙂
    The restaurant looks beautiful. I TOTALLY agree with u on sharing (I dont care WHO it is)….its like that old friends episode where Joey is really bothered that his girlfriend keeps eating off his plate 🙂
    Nice hat u have on.

6. January 30, 2010 6:22 am

That salad DOES look good!! And Maya is too cute!! Kids that age are absolutely hilarious.
    I think it’s great that she wants to learn a language. Kids are so so so much more receptive of learning and new language and it’s easier at a younger age. Many schools start them early now and I think it’s fabulous!

7. January 30, 2010 6:22 am

Sounds like a nice little evening!

8. January 30, 2010 6:48 am

Kids are like sponges at this age! Especially with languages!
    And if she *wants* to learn French herself, then I bet she’ll be fluent in under 3 months. Although…that might mean financing a pricey study abroad program to Paris somewhere down the line 😉

9. January 30, 2010 8:08 am

That is great that Maya wants to learn french!! I’d say go get her some tapes/books/DVDs/CDs from the library. Or maybe some books on tape?? Learning a 2nd language puts kids at such an advantage in school.

10. Danielle permalink
    January 30, 2010 8:33 am

That’s awesome that Maya wants to learn another language! Supposedly that’s the best time to teach someone…

That’s definitely not a soccer mom ensemble! You should see MY mom. I really like the hat 🙂

11. January 30, 2010 8:34 am

Wowie… I can’t remember ever wanting to learn a new language at Maya’s age… all I was really thinking about was toys and cartoons. I guess it’s a good thing that she has such intellectual interests? It’s always good to know another language, anyways.

Your salad looks delish, I wouldn’t want to share either 🙂

12. January 30, 2010 9:01 am

That salad looks delicious! And that’s great that she is interested in languages. I am a foreign language teacher and the earlier kids learn and are exposed to languages, the better they will grasp it 🙂

13. January 30, 2010 9:32 am

That’s so awesome that your daughter wants to learn French!
    I want my daughter to speak different languages 🙂

Lovely looking salad! It looks so refreshing!

14. January 30, 2010 9:53 am

Maya is way too funny. haha. Super cute. Id love to learn french too actually! Well I used to be able to speak pretty well but lost it since I havent practiced in years. I got the Rosetta Stone to practice french and spanish at home and it actually works pretty well. Its fun too. So awesome you are starting her early though! Its awesome that they have a place to go and learn a new language too. I think the younger you are the more easily you pick it up. (Or so Ive heard)

The restaurant looks great! Where is that located at? I hope you are having a fabulous Sat. so far sweetie. Take care!

• January 30, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Chrysta – the restaurant is in Westwood on Westwood Blvd and Ohio (near Bristol Farms). We should meet up there one day!

15. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 30, 2010 9:54 am

lady that is NOT a soccer mom ensemble, if you want to go there you have to bust out the “mom jeans” and a sweatshirt that says “worldspeak mom” or something equallycool. i think it’s great that maya is learning french, exposing kids to language is one of the greatest things you can do! their brain plasticity is amazinggg, i swear she could be fluent in a few months :).

16. January 30, 2010 11:19 am

That salad looks so good! And I am not even a huge salad fan! 🙂

17. January 30, 2010 11:29 am

How interesting that she wants to learn French. I don’t think I was aware that there were languages besides English until I was 12. Is that bad?
    Kids and their eating preferences are so odd. I guess being grumpy about food is one of the only ways to exert power as a little kid.
    Did you like “Sunshine Cleaning”? I liked it…cute movie.

18. January 30, 2010 1:04 pm

hey! its so cool that maya already wants to learn french(: when i was little, all i wanted to do was play with barbies and eat chocolate! and im loving that salad, yum. its adorable about those tiny hints she would give you awww. have a great saturday night! xoxo soph

19. January 30, 2010 1:41 pm

I think it is so cool that you took Maya to French class! I always like to think I would have my hypothetical kids learn another language. Why not? Their minds learn language so well at that age!

January 30, 2010 4:16 pm

How great that Maya wants to learn french!! I HATED it. Of course, it didnt help that the year we started french in school (grade 5?) my french teacher was my mom. I was probably her most annoying student. “But mom, MY hand was up first!”

21. January 30, 2010 6:00 pm

You turn my head 🙂
    You look great in that pic!

And I think it’s great you’re helping Maya indulge her idea. If you didnt try it, it would continue to be something she’d ask you about and now you know what it’s all about and Maya can go back and get her french groove on if she’s interested.

22. January 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Kidlets are like sponges when it comes to languages! give her all the french lessons she can handle! how way fun is that!

My children speak other languages but it usually involves kai Lan Ni Hau or Dora.

haha

jk

JJ can speak a fair bit of sign language. He does it when he’s totally frustrated with my not ‘getting” him.
    xo

NICE SALAD and Ali is smiling! Happy day to you!

23. January 30, 2010 8:29 pm

That say thats the best age for learning languages…

24. January 30, 2010 8:30 pm

I think Maya is doing a good job by learning more languages. Love that salad, I am sure I wouldn’t share that one 😉

25. January 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Wow Maya continues to impress me…first sparkling water and now French.

She is one ambitous and sophisticated 4 year old!

26. January 31, 2010 9:52 am

Yr Maya has pretty sophistcated taste – don’t know many 4 y/o’s that would like le poisson and to learn French. Has to come from somewhere. Fancy Nancy books are fun to read but my 6 y/o has moved beyond the FN. It’s just that I have not so we have kept a few of those Fancy books. Most of the children in my big ext’d fam speak at least 2 languages. Children are just amazing and that they know and speak the truth and has wisdom (often times) more so than I realized.

1. A Car Story « Fancy That…Fancy This