socially (cue)less : round 2

August 16, 2011

I’m working on the patience thing. I’m working really hard. But I swear that being hungry and not having a working printer is a lethal combination.

Me: “I don’t understand why YOUR computer prints just fine and yet I have to attach what I’m trying to print to an email and email it to the printer. This is about 3 steps too many and frankly, it just pisses me off.”

Seeing as sunset was more than 10 hours away at this point Ali would be been wise to agree with me and solve my problem, right? But my husband decided instead to address the fact that the email I was sending to the printer lacked a “subject.”

Ali: “How can you send an email with no subject? That’s not right.”

Me: “What’s the problem? Have I offended your printer’s delicate sensibilities?”

Ali: “That’s not the point. It just doesn’t make any sense to have no subject. What if the printer gets confused?”

Me:“Oh that’s right! I forgot the printer has feelings and logic as well.”

At this point my husband nodded – completely satisfied with my response. Which just reiterates that we have made zero progress since my post this past May on his inability to pick up on social cues.

I’ll report back in another few months but frankly, the outlook isn’t too good.

1. August 16, 2011 12:16 am

That was a harsh tone(r)

2. August 16, 2011 1:59 am

Ha, gosh you make me laugh. I love it. Your a hoot. I would have given up on that printing business the first time it did that. And, what does the subject being empty even matter?
    Your remarkably patient considering.

• August 16, 2011 2:28 pm

So I wasn’t missing something on the empty subject line? Glad it wasn’t just me…

3. August 16, 2011 2:32 am

The key here is sundown. Ali should really choose his battle these days based on the sun. Not smart. Not smart.

The Spaniard learned early on not to mess with me when I’m hungry. “Give the blonde whatever she wants.”

If I were fasting I think the Spaniard would only talk to me at night. We would sustain our relationship via text until sunset. It would probably be best that way.

• August 16, 2011 2:29 pm

I love utilizing text/email to communicate during Ramadan. Things are so much less offensive! And avoidable.

4. August 16, 2011 3:37 am

har har. I think he attended my husband’s school of emotional intelligence…

5. August 16, 2011 3:40 am

Aw! Too bad you can’t somehow send these social cues through his iPad or iPhone. Maybe he’d be more responsive!

6. August 16, 2011 3:42 am

Oh my goodness. He has the HP tablet as well? Does he work for Gizdomo or some outfit like that? You m’lady have indeed been married to the rarest of all rare species: not the first adopters, but the pre first adopters. Whoa.

• August 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Why of course he has the HP Tablet. It is exists therefore it must be owned. I think that is my husband’s philosophy.

7. August 16, 2011 3:51 am

L-M-A-O!

8. August 16, 2011 4:08 am

The way I solve printer issues at work is to print from a different computer. Or turn it off and on. Or make someone else do it…

• August 16, 2011 2:31 pm

I tried all of the above and my only conclusion is that my husband has given me a faulty new computer. And we are right back to where we started with this entire thing being his fault.

9. August 16, 2011 4:30 am

Under the circumstances, Ali could have given you more leeway. When I’m hungry, people want to stay clear of me because anything is possible. Grrr. 🙂

• August 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Any sane person would realize this but Ali? Not so much.

10. August 16, 2011 4:57 am

You know I do have an opening in my 4th grade boys social skills group? I’m sure they’ll play nice with him 🙂

• August 16, 2011 2:32 pm

If the 4th graders are interested in technology this may be a good fit!

11. August 16, 2011 5:16 am

Ameena – you and Ali should have your own half-hour sitcom. For real. And your already in LA! I swear – you’d be more comical than half the crap on TV…;)

• August 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I’m so glad that you find us funny! I’m glad that I could re-read this myself and laugh too. It helps avoid taking…desperate measures.

12. August 16, 2011 5:37 am

You are TOO funny, Ameena!! Is that your new laptop looming in that photo?!?! For your sake, I hope so!!

13. August 16, 2011 6:07 am

Hilarious! With my husband, when he is being completely obtuse, I say to him, “and your line is” followed by whatever it is I want him to say. After 15 years of marriage I have realized they just don’t get subtlety and need help often.

• August 16, 2011 2:34 pm

So the secret to a happy marriag eis to walk around with cue cards? This is a brilliant idea!

14. August 16, 2011 6:14 am

Love this post!! Too funny! Right now my computer isn’t hooked up to the printer at all, so if I want to print something I have to either email it to Zach and try to convince him to print it from his computer (his response is usually “no, I’m busy”), or I have to put the file on a flash drive, walk over to Zach’s computer, and try to convince him to vacate his computer long enough for me to be able to print something… Which is impossible… What’s up with our guys and this technology addiction??!!

• August 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I guess in your situation you’d actually welcome the fact you could email the printer then…I hope Ali doesn’t read this!

15. August 16, 2011 6:24 am

Oh the appeasing nod. How I loathe that move.
    I think I’d rather continue arguing than get that move.

16. August 16, 2011 6:34 am

hahaha nope, the outlook is grim on that front.

17. August 16, 2011 6:46 am

Maybe the printer was hungry too and out of ink.

• August 16, 2011 2:35 pm

No, the printer just doesn’t want to print using traditional methods because apparently it’s offended!

18. August 16, 2011 6:53 am

oh the love of tech talk. i just bang stuff til it works

19. August 16, 2011 7:18 am

🙂 ah well you definitely got more patience then me .. my printer is in the BIN …

• August 16, 2011 2:36 pm

My husband would throw me out if I threw the printer in the bin.

20. August 16, 2011 7:20 am

I guess like me, you married your husband cause he was cute ;).

21. August 16, 2011 7:27 am

I’m pretty convinced that my hubby thinks his iPad has feelings too.

And we’re the crazy ones?

• August 16, 2011 2:37 pm

Maybe it has something to do with Apple’s brainwashing?

22. August 16, 2011 7:45 am

Ugh– we’ve been having printer problems at our house too. I really don’t know if there is ANYTHING more frustrating.

Well, maybe clothes on the floor 🙂

• August 16, 2011 2:37 pm

Valid point. I might consider a non-working printer slightly less irritating.

23. August 16, 2011 8:20 am

Hahaha I remember as a child wanting to pound/throw out the window/do horrid things to our printer whenever it malfunctioned (which was almost all the time).
    Wait so nowadays you have to e-mail your printer?!?! And printers get confused by no subject e-mails?! Wow.

• August 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Yes, things have come a long way since our dot matrix days. Although the malfunctioning continues in a better quality!

24. August 16, 2011 9:37 am

Dang technology…..I use my mac and thats it. My printers don’t even work right now and I don’t have the time to fix them.

You’re too funny!! I would love to see you and Ali in person 🙂

xxoo

25. August 16, 2011 9:50 am

Printer problems are the bane of my existence! I wish I had a minion that would just print and bring my printed documents to me 🙂 That would really help!

• August 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I thought getting married automatically provided me with a minion but I guess that isn’t really the case? 🙂

26. August 16, 2011 10:28 am

—You told him, girlfriend!! 🙂

27. August 16, 2011 11:12 am

I would totally send an email with no subject. Heck I’ve tried to send an email addressed to a website. And if I was hungry with no food until sunset…… Ali should not ask questions and just fix all your computer problems. I expect my husband to.

• August 16, 2011 2:41 pm

I wish he understood the “don’t ask questions” but I fear that neither he nor Maya really understands that concept.

28. August 16, 2011 11:28 am

Hahaha,,, looks like Ali is a slow (social) learner.. 🙂
    That’s a good question though, how come you have to go through 3 steps just to print while he doesn’t have to? and why an email has to have a subject title? Maybe the computer has more social cues than Ali?

• August 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I’m scared to say that I think my husband gave me a faulty “new” computer. I believe this thing has been refurbished! There is no other explanation for all the problems I have been having.

29. August 16, 2011 12:41 pm

hahahahaha I love that he thinks you need a subject in an email to your printer. Im sure its highly offended.

30. August 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Really? Don’t you love when printers are in touch with their feelings? It warms my heart.

• August 17, 2011 10:25 am

Ali would totally miss that you are being sarcastic here…do you see the problem?

31. August 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Pick your battle Ali! I never send subjects – whats the point. you have to read the email anyways.

• August 17, 2011 10:25 am

I think Ali doesn’t read most of his emails…maybe that explains a lot?

32. August 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Why the hell would your printer need a subject? I’m so confused…. I get mad when gmail suggests I add a subject line, if my hubs did it, I’d prob smack him in the face…and I don’t even fast.

• August 17, 2011 10:26 am

The printer doesn’t need a subject but Ali insists it does…

33. August 16, 2011 7:26 pm

LOL. The nod. That’s a husband thing.

My printer never listens to me either. I would scold it, but I might hurt its feelings.

34. August 16, 2011 7:40 pm

It’s kind of like he was channeling the Gmail reminder on my phone that asks me if I’m sure I want to send something without a subject. Constant vigilance.

p.s. What is going on with you and technology lately?!

• August 17, 2011 10:26 am

I think that fasting has made my minimal patience even less and that’s why all this technology is working my last nerve.

35. August 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Smile. I don’t know how you do it…I’m cranky enough with food every few hours. You are a wonder woman! And don’t worry, I send plenty of emails without subjects. It’s what cool people do.

36. August 16, 2011 8:40 pm

When my fiance gets frustrated with my (lack of) electronic abilities, I just say, “Why should I bother to figure these things out when you are just going to come over, tell me I am doing it wrong, and do it for me anyway?!”

Also, men seem to focus on the wrong thing in ANY conversation. 🙂

37. August 16, 2011 10:08 pm

delicate sensibilities HAHAHAHAH …. CLassic….

38. August 16, 2011 10:46 pm

oh poor girl. at least you got your new computer? thank god for small favors. now i guess you we just have to work on his social adaptability to society? oh wait…there’s an app for that =)

• August 17, 2011 10:28 am

I think I should develop an App for that. Then I can afford to buy a printer that doesn’t piss me off!

39. August 17, 2011 2:34 am

I think the Sun and Ali are partners who are conspiring against you and taking full advantage of you. The printer is in fact a piece of machine and does have feelings – hence why I like to keep switching mine off and on to annoy the bloody thing.

• August 17, 2011 10:28 am

Ali warned me never, ever to switch ours off. I fear the consequences!

40. August 17, 2011 3:27 am

Haha, aww, Ameena … men just don’t get it, do they?? Sometimes, while I’m frustrated about something and venting, my husband sees it as an opportunity to fix something or give nsolicited advice that has nothing to do with the situation – and I’m like, gah! I just want to vent! Just agree with me and I’ll feel better! … I’m glad to know I’m not the only one!

Sorry to hear about the uncooperative printer (you have to email it? Really?? Poor gal!). Especially when you’re hungry! You have my sympathy, Ameena! :O

• August 17, 2011 10:29 am

I just wanted him to fix the problem – not give me a lecture. Not sure why the husbands don’t get that?

41. August 17, 2011 4:10 am

I am stuck on why emails need subjects. Conversations don’t need subjects. You don’t need to say to someone now we’re talking about “plans”. Did Ali object to your omission or is there a possibility the printer will not print a subject-free email?

• August 17, 2011 10:30 am

The printer prints fine sans a subject…but this does not sit well with Ali anyway. It is a mystery why…

42. August 17, 2011 6:51 am

Sigh. I have no answers. Just last night Shaune asked me for the ten millionth time what he needed to do to get one of the kids ready for bed. I told him. He went upstairs and asked me again. I asked him if he’d been listening ten seconds prior when I explained it all. No he said unapologetically. He has a very small window of time (sometimes a second or two) when he registers what I’m saying. And being hungry while communicating with him? You’re right, lethal!

• August 17, 2011 10:31 am

Sometimes I put Maya to bed just so I don’t have to hear him ask me what to do. It is exhausting repeating yourself, isn’t it?

43. August 17, 2011 9:10 am

hahaha!!! A hilarious post!! I am literally in splits Ameena 🙂

44. August 17, 2011 9:14 am

Maybe you should have a rule that while you don’t eat during the day, Ali can’t talk to you during the day?!

• August 17, 2011 10:32 am

I think this is brilliant! And since I’m sleeping at night then we don’t have to talk for close to 24 hours!

45. August 17, 2011 9:34 am

How annoying to have to email your printer! I don’t even do know how to do that. Do printers have email addresses? Obviously Ali will not deem me worthy considering I don’t even know that! 🙂

But really, an email subject is seriously over-rated. And I’m talking about in emails to human beings. I think your printer will manage fine without one too!

• August 17, 2011 10:32 am

Yes our printer has it’s very own email address. Ali is very proud of it too!

46. August 17, 2011 12:58 pm

i had no idea you could email your printer:) need to look into that! and btw, how do you like the hp touch pad? any good?

• August 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I haven’t used it yet because I find it easier to utilize the various iPads and my laptop but Ali said the TouchPad has some cool features. But it also has some glitches too…

47. August 17, 2011 6:49 pm

I used to have a friend who wold get really ticked off if I didn’t have a subject in my emails. I never saw the point – in casual emails to friends, the subject is basically “Hi.”

• August 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I absolutely that “hi” is sufficient. Your friends seem…demanding…

48. August 17, 2011 9:18 pm

And you think technology was there to make life simpler ..or maybe it was except when the ‘ know-it-all’ husband comes in picture 😛

• August 18, 2011 7:27 pm

It doesn’t make life simpler around here, that’s for sure!

49. August 18, 2011 12:10 am

I HATE PRINTERS with a vengeance…. they just don’t get my commands, much like the hub! Teehee that Ali doesn’t get it either! Patience eludes me … ALWAYS!

50. August 18, 2011 1:23 am

We men turn too old too early to learn new things. And like I already asserted, invariably it is always a husband’s fault. No question about it. A proven & time tested fact learned over the years.

Hopelessly though, looking forward to your next progress report on the project.

51. August 18, 2011 8:35 am

Anything that involves technology and I don’t get it to work the first time then becomes my hubby’s problem. What? I feed him 3X a day. Give and take right? Teehee. Hope you’re dealing with the fasting ok, my dear. I don’t know how you have the strength to do that and still function properly. I’m sure I would’ve kicked my hubby and kiddies out of the house by now.

• August 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Give and take is exactly right…I make Ali food 2-3 times a day as well hence why I am so upset that I still have to email the printer!

52. August 18, 2011 11:32 am

hahaha, okay it’s funny as hell but the reality isn’t fun at all- so i shouldn’t laugh. It seems as if the technology man has intelligently created has backfired… technology controls man.

*deep breaths* .. inhale.. exhale… inhale.. exhale… feel better? no, didn’t think so 😉

xoxo ❤

• August 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I even tried the count backwards from ten…I still don’t feel better. 🙂

53. August 18, 2011 11:53 am

hahahaha….cant stop laughing… the printer wont print becoz there is no subject in the email…lolz…. terrific post 🙂

• August 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you Israr for the compliment and for reading. 🙂

54. August 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Ha……it’s funny how he see’s the ‘subject’ thing as the problem, and doesn’t fix the actual problem…..maybe you need to speak his language – or is that possible? 🙂

• August 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I’m trying to learn his language Amy – I feel like this is absolutely necessary for a happy marriage. So far I haven’t had much luck though…

55. August 18, 2011 1:16 pm

How’s this for a subject line: Give me a break and go wash the dishes.

• August 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Ali wash the dishes? Are you kidding? I have a better chance of getting the printer to wash the dishes.

56. August 18, 2011 6:27 pm

I had to laugh reading this…I know what you’re going through, lol! (And not just with the hunger, but also with dealing with the husband while hungry. 😉 )

57. August 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Bahahah “what if the printer gets confused?”!!!

58. Erika permalink
    August 20, 2011 5:02 pm

LOL funny cute. On another note the table and cushions look cute, need a better picture though. 🙂

• August 21, 2011 6:36 am

Thank you Erika – at second glance I realize that my table needs to be cleaned!

59. November 9, 2011 11:14 pm

Might be the best piece to date.

1. i don’t want to know « Fancy That…Fancy This