is summer over yet?

August 19, 2011

Are you ready to hear something shocking? Yesterday, a mother at the park said she was dreading the start of school because she was going to miss her kids.

I’m sorry, but WHAT?

The truth is that I don’t miss Maya one bit while she’s at school. Maybe this is because I am working and the time goes by quickly…maybe this is because I believe absence makes the heart grow fonder…or maybe it’s just because I’m thrilled that Maya’s entertainment is somebody else’s problem for 6 hours.

Now before you start feeling bad for my kid know this: Maya is happy to be away from me for a good part of the day, as evidenced by the fact she often asks if we can leave for school early. As in 6:15 am.

I know this isn’t healthy behavior but I’m not going to worry about it too much because I expect Maya’s therapist will explore this further with her in about decade or so. And thanks to my diligent contributions, her therapy fund is in a really solid place right now.

Study hard and become a successful doctor Maya...because at some point your therapy bills will be your problem.

All I know is that I am beyond excited that school is right around the corner. Here’s what I won’t miss about summer.

1. The ridiculously early pick-up time of summer camp.
  2. The non-stop quest to find things to keep Maya busy after summer camp and before bedtime.
  3. The ridiculously early pick up time of summer camp.

Is it September 7th yet?

1. August 19, 2011 12:18 am

she won’t need therapy. it’ll be worse.
    she’ll start a blog.

• August 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Very true. Blog = free therapy. It’s done wonders for me!!

• August 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Ok. I cannot leave a comment for this post after seeing this comment. Please blame Eden for her brilliant comment.

2. August 19, 2011 12:25 am

Well I am enjoying these holidays less traffic on road… Reach work early.. But also the fact too many kids on the road.
    Not long to go 2 weeks …
    beautiful girl god bless her…

He he he the first comment. She will start to blog and then your secrets will be out..o_O

3. August 19, 2011 12:35 am

Well it not only Maya. I have seen a lot of Kids who love to be at school. Guess schools are not like what it used to be during our times. In fact, I feel it’s great that they enjoy being away from home. BTW Maya looks very cute in that pic 🙂

• August 19, 2011 2:40 pm

It does feel good to know that Maya likes going to school because I’m sure my mom hated the fact that I would cry myself to kindergarten and back every single day.

4. August 19, 2011 12:43 am

I think my mom and I competed for the ‘who is looking forward to school starting the most’ award! If we only saw the foreshadowing that then. Senior year of high school I could not move away to college soon enough! The fights for independence were legendary. 🙂

But rest assured. Years of therapy later we have a fantastic relationship. 🙂

• August 19, 2011 2:41 pm

I think this is exactly what I’m going to experience with Maya in a decade or so!

5. August 19, 2011 12:54 am

Ha ha! I am confident that my children prefer Nanny days to Mommy ones.

6. August 19, 2011 1:22 am

My mom, who just loves love kids, is extremely motherly, and is the best mom in the world always used to say, “I can’t wait till you go back to school.”
    Have a great weekend daaaaaahling!

7. Allie permalink
    August 19, 2011 3:46 am

Maya is so lucky she gets to start in September !!

8. August 19, 2011 5:34 am

🙂 Maya is gorgeous. I ‘m glad that she loves school and being with her friends – that’s GOOD!!!

9. August 19, 2011 6:19 am

I really don’t know how parents handle entertaining kids in the summer! So much work, as I found out after some time with my little nephews last week!

• August 19, 2011 2:41 pm

We employ lots of people to help us. And turn on the television. 🙂

10. August 19, 2011 6:21 am

I don’t think I could be a stay-at-home mom (sahm) either. Like 24/7 being with your kids. I admire those who can. I love my kids to death but I need a break. Being a sahm is just not for me. Not good for my sanity & everyone else’s safety.. 🙂

My son is off of his summer camp this week and we did a lot of things already (today we’re going to go bowling). I’m surprisingly enjoying it, until probably around 2 PM when all of my energy is evaporated and he’s still looking forward to do more! I can’t compete with 6.5 years old boy. I feel sooooo old.

Have a great weekend and hang in there, 2 more weeks to back to school and is it 1 more week to Eid ul-Fitr?

• August 19, 2011 5:14 pm

We still have 11 days until Eid. It’s coming…slowly but surely. 🙂

11. August 19, 2011 6:22 am

Ameena, it sounds like you have a co-operative relationship. She likes to be at school (way to go, Maya!) and you like her to be there. Works for me. No guilt here, I think.

12. August 19, 2011 6:29 am

Hey, you had her, you’re allowed to push her onto that school bus with a smile on your face 🙂

• August 19, 2011 5:15 pm

I often use that excuse with Ali…that I actually HAD her so really anything I do is justified!

13. August 19, 2011 6:50 am

Ha! I think you’re right on point with most parents. Then again, you make sure to have a social life outside of your child, which maybe that mother in the park doesn’t have.

14. Leslie permalink
    August 19, 2011 7:12 am

Hilarious, Ameena! Fall down funNEE! And doesn’t Maya look gorgeous and happy, per usual. And my mother would have totally agreed with you — she loved waving buh-bye.

It was partially leaving my mother, but more I merely hated going to camp – I cried torrents every day. Mom couldn’t wait to have some time to herself. My hatred stemmed from a misguided “back to nature” theme featuring unrelenting heat, humidity, and hellacious Porta-Potty scheme that HAPPYLAND flogged to parents of children living in high-rises.

Anyone up for Green Acres reruns? The Air! Times Square!

• August 19, 2011 5:16 pm

I hated leaving my mother too so I’m VERY happy that Maya is the opposite. I think that being so afraid of everything held me back in so many ways…I hope that nothing holds Maya back!

15. August 19, 2011 7:18 am

I enjoyed being a nanny but ill admit there were times I HAD to call out because I couldn’t be with the kids every waking second entertaining them. Clearly thats why the stay at home parents had me there because they didnt want to either!

• August 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I could never, ever be a nanny. I can barely parent my own kid but to parent someone else’s? Not a chance.

16. August 19, 2011 7:47 am

Being a non-motherly-type, I can fully appreciate your sentiment. I have a friend who is celebrating because her daughter is back to daycare 5 days a week, starting on Monday. We’re definitely meeting up for brunch and a pedicure!
    Sounds like you and Maya have a healthy understanding of her needs (and yours too!).

• August 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Daycare was even better than regular school because it never closed and had extended hours. I miss daycare! 🙂

17. August 19, 2011 7:48 am

—-Dear, Ameena,
    I looove your honesty.
    And I understand completely. Time does make the heart grow fonder. 🙂

• August 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Thank you MIC! So nice that you can understand as well.

18. August 19, 2011 7:58 am

Okay. I don’t even have any kids and that woman’s comment made my eyebrows shoot up to the very top of my forehead.

Will be adding “Therapy Fund” to the list of other things we have to save for like…College, Wedding, Expensive Jewish Summer Camp, Religious School, Bar/Bat Mitzvah Party, First Car, and Cool Toys So Your Kid Isn’t The Odd One Out In Playgroup

SO MUCH FUN.

• August 19, 2011 5:19 pm

The good news is that your parents and in-laws will likely have the “Cool Toys So Your Kid Isn’t The Odd One Out In Playgroup” covered. So you’ll have even more $$ for the Therapy Fund.

19. Tiffanie permalink
    August 19, 2011 8:15 am

In fear of being the COMPLETE minority here, I have to defend that woman at the park. I too would hate for school to start, and miss out on being with my children. We actually homeschool, EGADS, how crazy you must be thinking! While I have a VERY healthy relationship with my children, this is NOT a child centered household by ANY means. They go to bed early so that I can have time with my husband alone, are involved in many outside activities with other children, and I have plenty Girls Nights Outs throughout the month. But I enjoy my kids. There will come a day, when my kids are gone and grown, and then yes, I’ll have all the time in the world to get pedicures, sleep in late, workout for an extra hour, or three, won’t have anyone’s toast to butter, or anyone’s grammar to correct. And I do look forward to those later years when once again it’s just me and my handsome husband dancing to the beat of our own drum, and schedule. But until then…I’m going to FULLY enjoy the time I’ve been blessed with, enjoying my children’s company! it’s really not that bad 🙂

• August 19, 2011 5:25 pm

The truth is Tiffanie that I really want to be a mom like you (and the one at the park). But since I just don’t have it in me I have to make myself feel better by justifying my lack of mothering abilities – hence my sarcastic blog. I don’t think you are crazy at all – I actually really admire you for being the type of mom that your very well-adjusted kids will really appreciate one day. Every kid should be so lucky! Poor Maya. 🙂

20. August 19, 2011 8:25 am

I don’t think I’d miss my kid one bit either. It always remind me of how sad for my I used to feel when I’d go back to school and leave my mom home at home alone. Little did I know how happy she probably was to get rid of me.

• August 19, 2011 5:22 pm

How sweet…you used to feel sad for your mom? I bet that doesn’t even occur to Maya!

21. WellYaKnow permalink
    August 19, 2011 8:44 am

I feel like time spent apart can only help with decreasing the need for therapy and increasing the chances of having happier family get-togethers when she is older.

22. August 19, 2011 9:32 am

My two started school 2 weeks ago and it was all I could do to not do a happy dance in the school parking lot. I also don’t get those moms who miss their kids and by the end of summer I typically have used up every, single entertainment idea I can muster up and am more than happy to pass the baton to the school. Love the picture of Maya, what a gorgeous kid!

• August 19, 2011 5:23 pm

On behalf of Maya, thank you Heather! And I am SO ready to pass the baton.

23. August 19, 2011 9:57 am

All the moms I know are celebrating their butts off. Just sayin =) I’d be thrilled. and not just b/c the kids are getting an education ❤ enjoy lovey

24. August 19, 2011 9:57 am

My college starts on Monday. Even in elementary & middle/high school we started in later August. School starting in September is a foreign concept to me.
    I hope you can survive these last couple weeks. 😛

• August 19, 2011 5:24 pm

We always used to start in September so I’m really surprised at your early August start date! Your mom must have LOVED that.

25. August 19, 2011 10:01 am

6:15 am?! How is she even up that early? I have to say though that as a kid I LOVED going to school…mostly so I can show off all the outfits I thought I looked cool in

• August 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Seeing as Maya used to wake up at 5:30 am, 6:15 am is like the middle of the afternoon for us!

26. August 19, 2011 10:06 am

hahaha you’re awesome. I wish my parents started a therapy fund for me. 🙂

27. August 19, 2011 10:11 am

My son, who is 9, just told me this morning “I can’t wait to go back to school.” Yes he did.

So yeah we are so ready. And I am so ready to have my children out of my house for the day so that when I come home from worked it is not trashed.

September 7th, though! UGH! We start back August 30th! Woo Hoo!!!

28. August 19, 2011 10:36 am

That mom was clearly lying. There’s just no other reasonable explanation 🙂

29. August 19, 2011 11:00 am

I’m sure my daughter is ready……she’s been my baby sitter for the summer. I’ve not had to wake up an hour earlier than I really need to – I only have to get myself dressed worry about my own eating – didn’t have to threaten my children that if they DO not get out of bed they will be in a LOT of trouble. I’m dreading the start of school…..UGH driving them to school – dragging the out of bed – packing lunches….grrrrrrr

• August 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I’ve never had to drag Maya out of bed but I feel you on the packing lunches…it’s not easy!

30. August 19, 2011 11:16 am

I honestly don’t think I would miss my kid for a few hours a day.
    Thank god for moms like you who plan ahead for therapy. For real.

• August 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Establish the therapy fund first, college fund second. 🙂

31. Piya permalink
    August 19, 2011 11:17 am

i cannot wait for school to start already!!! even though my daughter only goes for 3 hours a day….i’m happy i won’t have to entertain her for those 3 hours 😀 piya

• August 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Just wait Piya – soon your daughter will be at school for 7 hours!

32. August 19, 2011 11:47 am

Sweet balls of fire, I’m counting down the days until my two oldest are at school!!!!!

33. August 19, 2011 1:24 pm

I know, I can’t believe some people are so lucky and their school started already. Next time I plan to move a school early starting schedule will def be a plus

34. August 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Join the club. I was so ready for school to begin. We did everything there was to do in a summer. My kids had more fun than I thought possible. And guess what? They too can’t wait to get to school. I feel it is a sign they are ready for a new challenge and feel so loved and secure at home that they are fine with being gone all day. They know we will be there at the end of the school day hanging on their every word at how their day went.

I put my heart into parenting but I feel the same as you, I should probably be saving for the therapist because sooner or later, everything that’s wrong will be my fault.

• August 19, 2011 5:30 pm

You really did pack a lot into the summer – I envy your energy and creativity Marie!

35. August 19, 2011 2:36 pm

As always, Ameena, I love your honesty approach of motherhood 😀 Can’t believe summer is almost over!

36. August 19, 2011 2:46 pm

School is already back in session here. I don’t miss the kids during the day, either, while I’m working. And I really do enjoy spending time with them. But I will say that I thoroughly enjoy them being old enough to just stay home and take care of themselves during the summer.

• August 19, 2011 5:30 pm

It’s already back in session? How lucky are you?

37. August 19, 2011 6:22 pm

I was ALWAYS excited to start school as a kid! And if I am ever a mom, I am going to be excited to pass my kid on to someone else for 6 hrs too! 🙂

• August 20, 2011 6:47 am

I actually used to hate the start of the school year when I was a kid, probably because I was so shy. Again, so glad Maya isn’t like me!

38. August 19, 2011 8:28 pm

My poor parents are so sad that I don’t have a high enough gpa for med school, At least I did try….

• August 20, 2011 6:47 am

Poor Sana…from one Indian daughter to another, I totally get it.

39. eva626 permalink
    August 19, 2011 10:08 pm

does maya really have a therapist???

i wish i was a school-o-philic as maya is lol

• August 20, 2011 6:47 am

She doesn’t have a therapist…yet. But it’s inevitable.

40. August 20, 2011 7:18 am

TELL me about it. We’re starting a week later this year – Sept 5th. Luckily the kids go to a play centre 2 days a week leaving me time to collect my sanity.

41. August 20, 2011 7:21 am

I miss my kids when I’m away from them, overnight, for several days, but I stayed home with them last summer, and was so relieved when school finally rolled around! They are TIRING. I’m definitely with you on wanting to have someone else entertain my kids. And don’t most kids need therapy as a result of their parents?

42. August 20, 2011 3:24 pm

At least your planning for the future (therapy fund). I love your honesty and this fact will develop Maya into a strong, confident woman. It’s the people who say one thing and do another -where what you see isn’t what you’re getting that really screw up their kids. Looks like Maya will probably have her own money for therapy – Doctor?

43. August 20, 2011 3:26 pm

You speak from my heart.

I am reminded of the (Target?) commercial from last year where the father is pushing a cart full of back to school stuff smiling and dancing while the kids trail behind with hang dog faces.

That’d be me.

• August 21, 2011 6:38 am

CG – I haven’t seen that commercial but trust me, that could be me too!

• August 21, 2011 10:08 am

My mistake, it’s a Staples commercial. Here’s the link:

• August 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I love it. Staples is my new favorite company, just for having this commercial. 🙂

44. August 20, 2011 9:38 pm

My mother used to be excited to send my butt off to school too. Back to School shopping was her favorite. Just getting me ready was like her getting ready for a vacation.. and she worked LOL. I can imagine I will do the same with my kids. Not to say she didn’t love me because we are VERY close.. but the heart does grow fonder when your loved one is absent for awhile.

45. August 21, 2011 8:39 am

I could not WAIT for August to get here to send the kids off to school. Now as for me returning to school, I could use just a little more time.

The good side to this is that she wants to go.

46. August 21, 2011 5:11 pm

I’m so with you on this one. I’m going to be thrilled when Z starts school. The older he is getting the more energy I am needing to expend in entertaining him, and he’s only 8 months old! He is already bored of all his toys, has thoroughly explored all the nooks and crannies of our apartment and gets antsy at his music class. Sigh.

47. August 21, 2011 10:05 pm

I know tons of people who are looking forward to school again. I am too because then I can get some work in subbing and make a little extra cash. But summer ending means winter is coming near and we are in Japan now in the north and it will snow, snow, snow, which I am not sure if I am ready for yet.

48. Cindy permalink
    August 22, 2011 8:44 am

I have a therapy fund for both my children too!

and a bottle of excedrin for me!

tee hee!
    xo

49. August 22, 2011 10:54 am

I think a portion of the therapy fund should go to the mother at the park. Assuming she has a playground-aged child it wasn’t long ago she had things to do for the daytime hours. She may need help rediscovering them. Sept 12th (mid september) my kids go back. After sitting on the runway at JFK for 4 hours last night I can assure you I will not miss my children in september (and they will not miss me).

50. August 22, 2011 11:11 am

That mother in the park was just in denial is all. That or she is on really good pharmaceuticals. You have no reason to feel guilty. Plus clearly Maya will grow up to be a rocket scientist (or equivalent in another field), therapy or no.

51. August 22, 2011 12:30 pm

ya, I never got that either. When I am a mom, I will be THRILLED for school to back in. I am selfish with my time I guess. haha.

52. August 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I don’t have kids but I am familiar with 6 year olds so I really can’t say that I blame you, Ameena! Maya really does look like a super happy kid though!

53. August 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one looking forward to it. Ours actually starts this Thursday; it can’t come quick enough!

54. chh permalink
    August 22, 2011 5:39 pm

please advice some nice parenting books 😉

• August 22, 2011 7:40 pm

I wish I had some advice on parenting books but the truth is that I haven’t read any! And it’s probably not too much of a surprise seeing as I lack basic parenting abilities. 🙂

55. Janelle permalink
    August 22, 2011 7:18 pm

My mom often shared with us the countdown till she got to ship us back to school. The fantastic thing was that the feeling was mutual.

Sounds like you guys are in the same boat – I do believe that means you have a healthy relationship!

56. August 24, 2011 2:46 pm

When she starts college, you’ll be missing her ALL THE TIME.

I’m not a mom, but I have a mom who has a daughter who goes to college. Aka, me.

57. August 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Oh I’ve started saving up for my kids’ therapy even before they were born. Now university tuition is another story. I will only be responsible for what I have caused. 😛

1. mickey d’s « Fancy That…Fancy This