it’s that time again…
This weekend I plan to eat WHATEVER I WANT (and yes, the all caps is necessary). Why? Well because Ramadan starts bright and early Monday and that means that for the next 30 days I will once again be:
- Hungry and thirsty for 15 + hours.
- Continuously calculating how much time is left until sunset when I can eat.
- Mentally berating myself for calculating how much time is left until sunset when I can eat.
- Watching the Food Network obsessively.
- Fuming at those who complain that giving up chocolate for Lent is SO hard.
- Organizing everything in sight to make the day go by faster.
- Attempting to master the art of patience. Especially with Maya.
- Screaming at Maya non-stop despite my attempt to master the art of patience.
Every year I tell myself that I’m going to be my most kind, understanding, and charitable self during Ramadan. But this year I’ve pushed my idealistic notions aside so I can be prepared instead. And thus I’ve enrolled Maya in as many classes as I can find so we can minimize our interactions.
So maybe I’m not getting as much out of this month as other, more religious people are. But at least I get points for my honesty, right?
I hope so.