a potato

November 24, 2015

I’m currently on a flight to Los Angeles with Maya and her potato.

A potato you ask? Why on earth does Maya have a potato?

Well because a very smart doctor friend of mine suggested that holding a potato somehow helps those who have motion sickness.

IMG_3530

This picture has NOTHING to do with this post, but Delta will only let me connect to one device at a time and I have no access to the pictures on my phone (despite the astronomical GoGo InFlight charge I just paid).

I have no idea how it works.

I don’t really care how it works.

(I am admittedly curious what TSA thought of a potato in our carry on, but I suppose they’ve seen stranger things.)

IMG_3531

Ali was either rolling his eyes at me (seems likely) or at the terrible service we had at Gotham Lounge in the Peninsula Hotel NYC (where this picture was taken).

All I know is that since we left our NYC apartment 4 hours ago I’ve made sure that Maya has been holding this potato as though her life depends on it.

And the fact is that we are currently 2 hours and 8 minutes into this flight and Maya hasn’t complained that she’s feeling sick EVEN ONCE.

So a big thank you to my friend Sam whose suggestion has allowed me – for the first time since Maya was born – to actually think that there is hope for Maya’s motion sickness.

In the form of one of my favorite vegetables no less.

IMG_3532

Only Maya knows how to take a picture apparently. Ali and I are kind of challenged when trying to look at the camera at the same time.

Rest assured that I’m still armed with various airsickness bags just in case this post jinxes everything. But until then?

It’s all about the potato.

1. Jessie E. permalink
    November 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Now I’m really curious about the potato. Is Maya supposed to smell it? Is it something about the texture, or having something to concentrate on? All I know it, I’m so glad it works!! 🙂

• November 25, 2015 9:09 am

She just has to hold it Jessie…which she did for about 7 hours straight!

2. November 24, 2015 10:08 pm

What?!? A potato? Who knew??? Anxious to hear if it worked for the duration of the flight. Enjoy LA!

• November 25, 2015 9:09 am

It worked Heather! I can’t believe it. This may open up a whole new world of travel for us. 🙂

3. November 25, 2015 5:33 am

Okay so I’m going to hold a potato during our next road trip. Does it have to be baked or raw? 😀 Also, Maya is looking more gorgeous by the post! hah hah

• November 25, 2015 9:10 am

Our potato was raw Floey…I hope it works for you too! And thank you for the kind compliment (on behalf of Maya)!

4. seana permalink
    November 25, 2015 7:04 am

I would guess it takes her mind of getting sick. Focus on the potato, not on nausea, I’m not a doctor but I’m guessing it’s more of a mental focus thing-mind over matter.. We are off to NJ for Thanksgiving for 4 days. Driving so no issues. My only concern is hitting a deer,, Neighbors went to Aruba last week and hit a deer on the way to the airport and totaled their car. State Troopers drove them to the airport. Can you imagine? Have fun in LA. My other trip concern is we’re going to the Jets/Miami football game Sunday and I don’t want to freeze to death 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!

• November 25, 2015 9:14 am

Placebo effect maybe? I have no idea.

Hitting a deer has never been a problem I’ve had to face…but really how nice of the State Troopers to take them to the airport. Here in LA the police probably wouldn’t be so gracious. 🙂

Have a great Thanksgiving!

5. November 25, 2015 9:07 am

A potato? Really?! I’m so intrigued!

6. November 25, 2015 10:17 am

Interesting! I wonder if it’s a placebo effect. 🙂

• November 25, 2015 2:12 pm

I wondered the same thing Nomad! Whatever the case, it worked. 🙂

7. Lauren permalink
    November 25, 2015 10:54 am

It just occurred to me that she has the worst motion sickness and you love motion/ travel. And now I’m craving fries

8. November 25, 2015 5:46 pm

I wonder what else a potato might cure? Bankruptcy? Acne? Heartbreak? Wishing you non-pukey thoughts (and flights).

Happy Thanksgiving, my dear.

• November 26, 2015 9:44 am

Maybe if I carry a potato around I might FINALLY have clear skin? LOL I wish.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

9. November 29, 2015 12:52 am

I’m wondering if the potato would work in the car….I feel like lots of people in my family suffer from car sickness. What a great, natural idea!

• November 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Maya gets carsick as well and the potato worked in that situation also! Give it a try. 🙂

10. December 8, 2015 1:37 pm

Wow – who woulda thunk it!? Haha!

1. brooklyn. the dog. | Fancy That...Fancy This