shopping with maya

November 4, 2015

There are few things more painful than shopping for clothes with Maya. This is because:

• She’s inherited her father’s indecisiveness.
  • She has zero concern for time constraints.
  • Her love for neon colors goes against everything I know.
  • Maya insists that everything is either too tight or too scratchy*, which makes trying on clothes exhausting.
image3

Tea time at the Peninsula Chicago.I forgot my hair brush and blow dryer. Things were a bit scary. Hence the braid.

*Maya recently started cutting off any and all clothing labels and tags. Since her Hello Kitty scissors aren’t the sharpest, this has led to holes in just about everything she owns. Which has led to Ali lecturing me that Maya has no clothes and why can’t I replace her holey clothing?

–>There are FEW things more annoying than this lecture.

IMG_2411

In our hotel room…the free bear made for a successful trip.

So on one hand, I admire the fact that Maya can wear her hot pink Nike’s with her orange Target dress without caring she’s offending my sensitive color palate.

I also think it’s great she doesn’t let her watch rule her world, like I do.

IMG_2434

The aftermath at Nordstrom in Chicago. After trying on no less than 8 pairs she FINALLY bought the snow boots. FINALLY.

But last week, when we were in Chicago and Ali insisted we buy Maya new snow boots? A process that took almost an entire hour? I wanted to scream “For the love of God, will you just MAKE A DECISION?”

I’m still recovering from that painful shopping expedition. It’s been a week.

All that’s left to say is that I fear the teenage years.

1. November 4, 2015 8:48 am

Haha, love her indecisiveness! Wait till she gets to be a young adult and can’t decide what to do with her life. That’s the struggle I’m going through right now with my 22 and 24 year old sons!

• November 5, 2015 6:36 am

I think I was in my late twenties before I finally figured that out Cat! Hopefully that makes you feel better about your kids!

• November 5, 2015 8:20 am

Only slightly, Ameena! I just turned 60 and I still haven’t figured it out. πŸ™‚

• November 6, 2015 6:41 am

LOL πŸ™‚

2. November 4, 2015 9:05 am

Tell Ali to YouTube darning small holes and get him a needle and thread as a “gift.” That oughta keep him busy…or better yet they can do it together for father-daughter bonding while you go get a massage all by yourself.

Ps I am a huge fan of braids in long hair like yours, bad hair day or good hair day. Flattering all around.

• November 5, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks for the compliment Andrea! The braid option is the one reason I don’t think I can ever cut my hair. πŸ™‚

The visual of Ali sewing something is just too funny. And impossible.

3. November 4, 2015 9:51 am

I love that Maya is an independent thinking (how’s that for a spin)! Can’t wait for the teenage year posts πŸ™‚

• November 5, 2015 6:43 am

I doubt she’ll let me post about her when she’s old enough to read these on her own!

4. medihadin permalink
    November 4, 2015 11:23 am

Lol, she did this when were in England years ago. Went into Marks to get her a sweater because it was cold and she would not make a selection. We ended up leaving with a sweater! I had no idea how picky she was till then. Uncle Anthony is the same way πŸ˜‰

• November 5, 2015 6:44 am

I didn’t know Anthony was picky until recently! I’m glad they can bond over that. πŸ™‚

5. hcoving permalink
    November 4, 2015 12:02 pm

Reading this makes me glad I have boys. They detest shopping and are very motivated to make a decision so they can escape the store. As for the hot pink shoes and orange dress, sounds like Maya is just a master at color blocking, which according to my InStyle magazine is cool these days.

• November 5, 2015 6:45 am

I had to figure out what color blocking was Heather, I am THAT out of it. Must review InStyle this weekend…so I’m a bit more up to speed. πŸ™‚

6. November 4, 2015 3:18 pm

I feel her pain….and yours! I am a super indecisive shopper. I realize how annoying that is so I prefer to shop by myself or with my mom who is just as indecisive of a shopper as I am.

• November 5, 2015 6:46 am

I am not a shopper at all so I’m in and out for the most part. But yes, I also like to go alone to minimize the time!

7. seana permalink
    November 4, 2015 3:39 pm

Oh my. I’d like to say it gets easier but, well, it doesn’t. The last time I was at the mall w/ my daughter she was 17 (21 in less than 2 weeks). Prom dress shopping. She drove with her learner’s permit (an hour from home). Couldn’t park the car in a packed lot, We’re holding up traffic, I had to switch places with her to park. ha ha. The shopping wasn’t the difficult part, she’d found the dress w/ a friend but needed me to pay. Not shocking . On the bright side, you are making memories! I won’t go out on Black Friday w/ my mom in law and husband when we are down in NJ for Thanksgiving. There is a reason for internet:)

• November 5, 2015 6:47 am

The concept of me watching Maya park just seems impossible. I could never give up control! Or teach her how to drive! I guess I figured out why Ali could be VERY useful down the road. πŸ™‚

No way I go shopping on Black Friday either. I don’t need anything that badly!

8. November 5, 2015 6:28 am

Oh gosh, I’m one of those girls that doesn’t like to shop. I’m just a run in and out type of person. My mom loves browsing for hours though. Maya needs some cute Hunter boots for rainy season! I’m totally eyeing them myself πŸ˜€

• November 5, 2015 6:49 am

Hunter boots are the best, agreed! But Maya is between sizes and has been for a while now. She bought Sorels instead, let’s see how those work out this winter!

9. November 5, 2015 8:17 am

i am not a big fan of shopping either so i am with you. how about next time send Ali and Maya alone? Can you imagine what they will come home with? Perhaps groceries and sugar rush πŸ˜›

10. Jessie E. permalink
    November 5, 2015 10:55 pm

I think there’s something about that age that just loves neon clothing. I remember I loved neon clothes at Maya’s age, and I would wear them with stirrup pants (omg, I’ve both dated myself and revealed how dorky I was). I would get pretty impatient with an hour of boot-buying, too! I mean, I could be eating something tasty or watching an awesome TV show during that time! πŸ™‚

• November 6, 2015 6:40 am

I remember stirrup pants! My parents thought they were ridiculous and wouldn’t let me buy then though. I’m still trying to get over that!

11. November 8, 2015 9:46 pm

I remain envious of Maya’s style! I’m excited to see how she will style these boots. Can you please start a fashion blog for her? With a cameo by Ali in khakis? πŸ™‚

• November 9, 2015 7:27 pm

Maya has more style than IҀ™ll ever have, thatҀ™s for sure!! I could never carry off those boots. πŸ™‚

12. November 9, 2015 10:47 pm

Maybe Maya will get better at shopping when she becomes a teenager. I’m sure there will come a time when it will be nice that she doesn’t rush through things!

• November 10, 2015 6:38 am

I really do admire her for not rushing through things…I only wish I had the same ability!

13. November 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Personally I can’t wait for the teenage years! Those posts are going to be pure gold πŸ˜‰

• November 22, 2015 8:00 pm

I can waitҀ¦I have no problem waiting!!

• November 23, 2015 4:09 am

Ha ha well let me tell you that it will be pretty cool – if my two are anything to go by. You’ll (eventually) gain your best friend – though the process of getting there will, I have no doubt at all, be hilarious to read πŸ™‚

1. Fancy That...Fancy This