allowance

December 12, 2015

Ali and I (unsurprisingly) don’t see eye-to-eye on the subject of giving Maya an allowance.

In a surprising streak of independence, however, Ali decided to ignore my very strong feelings on the subject to give Maya $5 a week anyway.

IMG_2490

At Fig and Olive. Where we waited SO LONG for our food that we got it on the house.

I was annoyed (unsurprisingly) because:

• Maya does nothing to justify receiving an allowance. Seriously, when I was 10 I was washing the family cars and polishing the marble. At 7 am on a Saturday. Maya can’t even put her toothbrush away without written instructions.
  • I don’t understand why she needs an allowance when she pretty much gets whatever she wants from either Ali, me, or another family member, as we all try to buy her love.
  • I don’t like Ali’s streak of independence. I don’t like it at all.

IMG_2483

If one more person tells me Maya needs braces….

Anyway, after about two days of NOT taking out the recycling, NOT emptying her lunch box, and NOT putting her dishes away, I found out Ali gave her a cost-of-living increase, taking her to $8 a week.

Me: I’m really mystified Maya, as to why you are now getting $8 a week for doing less than you did before you started getting an allowance?

Maya: Well Mama, you’re the one who lectured me about how girls make less than boys for doing the same job – just because they’re scared of negotiating. So I negotiated.

IMG_2589

At Moti Mahal Deluxe…moments before I unknowingly ate something that contained milk. I’ve never known such sickness.

As you can imagine, my mind was a battlefield of thoughts:

• I’m raising a smart-ass.
  • A lazy one.
  • But why shouldn’t she get paid to do nothing around the house, just as her father does nothing around the house?
  • At least my constant lectures aren’t going in one ear and out the other.

Actually, I’m secretly quite proud to be raising a fighter. Even if she’s a lazy one.

1. December 12, 2015 1:12 pm

At least you know you will never have to worry about her making a comfortable living 🙂

• December 13, 2015 7:43 am

There is something to be said about taking comfort in that Elaine!!

2. December 12, 2015 3:22 pm

That Maya’s on her way to CEO! I’ll be cheering her on from here (as I pick up all the crap the babies left all over every surface of our house) 😉

• December 13, 2015 7:45 am

The picking up of crap never ends my friend. It never ends….

3. December 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I’m with you! I was washing dishes and doing laundry at her age, among other various chores. But I’m not surprised you’re raising a fighter. Definitely a disgruntled parent / proud parent moment. 🙂

• December 13, 2015 7:54 am

I have so many of those moments J! Probably more disgruntled than proud, if I’m being 100% honest. 🙂

4. December 12, 2015 5:59 pm

I just took a class on negotiations and the lecturers favourite phrase was “If you don’t ask, the answer is always no”. Clearly Maya took the same class or she is just born clever. Either way, good on her 😊

• December 13, 2015 7:55 am

The lecturer was quite right Deepa…luckily Maya has no fear of hearing the word no and thus has no problem asking away!!

5. December 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Tell her she can keep 1/3, save 1/3 and donate 1/3. Or she has to refund you for all the grief caused over the years.

• December 13, 2015 7:55 am

She has a HUGE refund to give me. So. Much. Grief.

🙂

6. December 14, 2015 5:41 am

LOL way to go Maya! I never got an allowance growing up. Also, being 1/2 Asian, my parents never gave me the traditional “lucky money” or red envelope on Chinese New Years. Boy did I miss out!

• December 14, 2015 7:01 am

Sorry you missed out on the little red envelopes…I remember getting those in elementary school every year. Not sure why they gave them out but I wasn’t about to question it. J

7. December 14, 2015 7:51 am

Ha!! What a smart young lady! I love it!

8. Taking On Magazines permalink
    December 14, 2015 10:03 am

We’ve offered Sophie a $10 per week. All she has to do is do her weekly chores without us having to ask her to. Needless to say, we’ve not paid out a cent so far.

• December 15, 2015 7:21 am

Wow, $10 a week? So North Carolina pays out better than NYC. J

9. sarahjmir permalink
    December 14, 2015 3:49 pm

hahah bravo Maya! Of course as a fellow mother I can see how this is a little infuriating

10. Salina permalink
    December 14, 2015 4:04 pm

I am proud of you Maya. You are a great negotiator. Why should you do something in order to earn money, if you can avoid not doing anything and get paid. There is the way Maya. Thumb up.

11. December 15, 2015 10:01 am

Maya sounds like a very smart girl! She deserved the allowance raise after a smart negotiation! xD

12. December 15, 2015 12:42 pm

I think I used to get $5 per week back in the day. Or was it per month?? Smart girl right there!!

13. December 16, 2015 10:52 am

#Maya2016.

14. December 18, 2015 11:50 pm

I loved her comment! At least she negotiated! At the very least she seems smart and confident which will get her pretty far in life. We need more girls like that. 🙂
    OMG.. and Fig and Olive gave you a free meal, how awesome. I’m addicted to their mushroom croquettes and crostinis despite all the negative stuff going around, I’m sure you’ve heart.

• December 19, 2015 7:53 am

Maya and I would love to meet you at F & O after the holidays….it’s one of our favorites. Have a great holiday seasons N! Looking forward to catching up with you soon.

15. December 23, 2015 11:50 am

I like the idea of allowance, but with chores …

16. Jessie E. permalink
    December 25, 2015 7:51 am

First of all, I absolutely adore the pictures in this post. What a beautiful family! Second, I have no idea if an allowance is a good idea or not, but Maya’s negotiating technique is 100% amazing 🙂

17. January 14, 2016 3:07 pm

You’re in good company. I’ve given up the fight and allowed my kids an allowance for doing nothing too…