brooklyn. the dog.

December 29, 2015

All Maya has been asking for, for the last 5 years at least, has been a dog. And so for Christmas, Maya’s uncle gifted her a dog.

Here in London.

IMG_2741

At The Wolseley for Breakfast.

I’m a bit unsure of the plans for the dog (Maya named her Brooklyn) as we are leaving to go back home shortly. But I do know that:

• Brooklyn is more work than a child.
  • It’s putting my OCD into overtime.
  • There is no space at our place in London for Brooklyn.
  • There is no space at our place in NYC for Brooklyn.
  • Brooklyn is not coming home with us.
  • We are NEVER getting a pet of any kind. And that includes a goldfish. (I can barely keep track of Maya’s potato.)
Brooklyln. The Dog.

Brooklyln. The Dog.

To soften the blow I took Maya to Hamley’s and let her build a Snoopy at Build-A-Bear.

I waited in line for 40 minutes so the dog could be custom stuffed, and then waited in line for 15 more minutes so I could pay for it.

I bought it a dog bed, a leash, and an outfit.

IMG_2764

Dragged Maya out for a 1.5 hour walk through Hyde Park.

I even said Snoopy could come home with us, despite the fact he is too big for our carry-on luggage and thereby is in strict violation of Rule 98: We Are Each Allowed Only One Carry-On And Everything Must Fit.

IMG_2749

Lunch at Ishtar.

I’m so envious of moms who have a knack for making the holiday season so warm and fuzzy, and who have the patience for pets and mess and chaos.

I am not that mom.

Maybe next year, instead of a pet, Maya should ask Santa to gift her mom a boatload of patience and a cure for OCD?

1. December 29, 2015 1:50 pm

good luck with the puppy!!!! Pretty Rainbow in Hyde Park 🙂

• December 30, 2015 3:10 am

Thank you Daisy! We need all the luck we can get. (Or at least I do!)

2. December 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Wait… is Brooklyn going home with you, or no? It sounds like no, but I suspect that might actually mean yes. I vote yes. I need cute puppy pictures on top of your already amazing pictures and stories. I’m still not in New York playing nanny, so this is the next best thing. 🙂

• December 30, 2015 3:11 am

Brooklyn is staying in the UK…otherwise I’d need to take care of 3 people / animals and we both know I’m barely hanging on by a thread as it is. 🙂

3. Piya permalink
    December 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Arya has been asking for a gig for Christmas since she was 3!!! It’s just not happening. I can barely manage our lives. 😄

• Piya permalink
      December 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Dog* not gig.

• December 30, 2015 3:11 am

Agreed! I can barely manage our lives also and a dog never grows up!

4. seana permalink
    December 29, 2015 4:53 pm

i like dogs, but I don’t want one. Ever. We were at my sister’s for Xmas. Her dog licked the ham. No ham for me. Seriously? Its hard enough dealing with your kids let alone an animal. Hope you enjoy (ed) the holidays!

• December 30, 2015 3:12 am

I was terrified that Brooklyn would jump up on the table during our Christmas lunch. Luckily she’s pretty small.

Your sister must have flipped out!!

5. hcoving permalink
    December 29, 2015 5:35 pm

The chaos of Christmas Day also makes me nuts and grumpy. I don’t think I really registered any of my kids joy in opening their gifts because I was too busy running around the room with a trash bag picking up wrapping paper and trying form some semblance of order to all the stuff.

I share your clutter phobia and OCD but for some reason that doesn’t translate to my dogs. I love those hair balls even if it does mean I feel compelled to vacuum daily.

• December 30, 2015 3:13 am

You actually came into mind when I was thinking about warm and fuzzy moms…I doubt you were remotely as nuts as I was on Christmas Day. I think you’re just hard on yourself. 🙂 I can tell!!

6. December 29, 2015 5:41 pm

The best dogs are OPD (Other People’s Dogs) 🙂

• December 30, 2015 3:14 am

I love that Elaine!! OPD for sure.

And OPB (Other People’s Babies)…

7. michelle permalink
    December 29, 2015 5:48 pm

I love the relationship you have with your daughter. My older daughter is 5 and she’s going through a phase with not wanting to be disciplined…so I hope one day she will be like Maya. Best buds with her mom 🙂 My second daughter is younger, so I know she will go through the 5s.

• December 30, 2015 3:15 am

I doubt Maya would consider me a friend at this age…I can feel the teenage years coming on already. I know a good eye roll is right around the corner.

Thank you for the nice compliment though Michelle and for reading!

8. December 30, 2015 5:45 am

Holy moly! Did her uncle run this by you before he bought the dog? A pet is a HUGE responsibility. I recently got a cat and am thinking about quitting my day job so I can be a stay at home (cat) mom. Seriously, the little guy is SO much work and requires my attention 24/7! I can’t even pee without him following me. But he is a gem, and I love him.
    Is Maya pissed at you? Snoopy is awesome btw.

• December 30, 2015 7:05 am

We had a cat when I was younger and it was 10X easier than a dog…less accidents, less exercise needed, etc. I think it just hung out and slept all day long!

9. December 30, 2015 8:56 am

Scratch the dog gifting uncle off the Christmas list. Santas evil helper! No amount of patience can help you now. You are sunk.

• December 30, 2015 3:03 pm

He truly is the nicest uncle in the world…Maya is so lucky that her uncles want to deliver what her mother won’t. Part of me is jealous. 🙂

10. December 30, 2015 8:57 am

We almost brought home a Guinea pig thanks to my sister this Christmas. She did talk to us about it first. The issue was finding a long haired one, which is what Sophie wants. I’d have loved the thing, but then I’m pretty much the opposite of OCD. 😏

• December 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Wish I was pretty much the opposite of OCD….I envy you!

11. January 1, 2016 1:26 am

Awwww… that is a cute dog. They are just so cute. I’m hanging out with one right now. I understand though, it’s different having a pet at home, I’d be paranoid of the mess he/she would make.

• January 2, 2016 6:48 am

I’m very paranoid about dogs having accidents…and this puppy had many unfortunately!!

12. January 3, 2016 8:28 pm

Happy New Year to you and yours. Here’s to a New Year with new beginnings and new adventures!!

13. January 4, 2016 9:35 am

agh! people should really think twice before giving such gifts.. uncle gets to be the hero and you get stuck being the evil mom who won’t let her daughter have the puppy..
    I am with you.. I am often overwhelmed by by own kids.. adding a pet to the mix.. unimaginable.

• January 4, 2016 5:26 pm

I am constantly overwhelmed by my ONE kid…parents of multiples (like yourself) have my utmost respect. 🙂

14. January 4, 2016 5:21 pm

That is quite a gift to give-and especially when it needs to be transported to another country! There are just too many strings attached. I am so glad that MJ doesn’t want a dog. I am too OCD for a dog. It would drive me nuts and I’ve never been a pet person at all. Best of luck!!

15. January 4, 2016 9:55 pm

Wow, the dog must have been quite the surprise! It sounds like Maya was okay with bringing home Snoopy though. Was it hard to convince her that Brooklyn couldn’t come back to the US or did she take it well?

• January 5, 2016 7:28 am

I’m pretty sure Maya didn’t think, even for a second, that the dog would be coming home with us. She knows me too well!

16. January 15, 2016 3:53 am

😦 what will happen to the poor dog? I wish I’d know – we’d have taken it and then Maya could visit with you whenever in the UK! 😀

• January 15, 2016 4:39 pm

The dog has a nice foster family who will be taking care of him when we’re not in town. But if we need more help we know who to turn to! 🙂