vegas trip

July 30, 2015

That’s why both Maya and I are still so surprised that I randomly decided to take her to Las Vegas this past weekend.

Outside of Caesar's Palace...it was 105 degrees!

Outside of Caesar’s Palace…it was 105 degrees!

I’m not sure why I did it.

Especially since my lack of planning led to ridiculously high airfare and hotel rates, which troubles the Indian in me to no end.

Also, I’m sure I don’t need to delve into my anxiety regarding airplane travel + Maya’s motion sickness.

The view from our room at the Bellagio.

The view from our room at the Bellagio.

But for once I just wanted to be the fun parent (which I admittedly am NEVER).

— I let her stay up until whenever.

— I fed her gelato knowing she’d get a stomach ache. (This after my sweet cousins took her to M&M World, the Hershey’s store, and fed her caramel popcorn.)

We went swimming at the hotel pool, which was amazing.

We went swimming at the hotel pool, which was amazing.

— I took her to the Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson show and then to dinner at the shocking hour of 9:30 pm.

— I even threw caution to the wind, bought myself a glass of orange juice for $7.50, and shared some with Maya (I’m very much opposed to kids drinking juice – a post for another day).

In the Bellagio lobby.

In the Bellagio lobby.

But by Sunday afternoon I was tapped out. I couldn’t answer even ONE MORE OF HER QUESTIONS.

So I did what any respectable parent would do: I handed her the iPad (which I am also very much opposed to) at the Las Vegas airport and told her that “Mama’ s going to close her eyes for a little while.”

I guess the moral of the story is that there is a place in my world for orange juice, the iPad, and a bit of spontaneity. Everything in moderation I suppose?

1. July 30, 2015 8:37 am

Maya is a lucky girl!!

Almost immediately after I saw your first Vegas IG pic, I saw the coverage about the fire at the Cosmo. Glad y’all are ok.

• July 30, 2015 6:37 pm

The fire was scary…the amount of smoke on the strip was quite terrifying!

2. July 30, 2015 10:22 am

So fun. Some of my favorite memories as a kid are of just me and my mom. You and your daughter are beautiful, Ameena!

• July 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Hope that Maya looks back and remembers this trip forever! I know I will.

Thanks for the compliment Heather!

3. July 30, 2015 10:36 am

You get the Super Mom badge for this one. Sounds like so much fun! I gave Reed the Ipad in a restaurant the other day and hated myself for it…but it did work. I never thought I would be that parent. Shame on me. At least Elmo helped him learn some letters…

• July 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Nobody has given me a Super Mom badge before…thank you!!!

And there are far worse things than Elmo! I’ve seen kids watching some scary things….

4. July 30, 2015 11:27 am

This trips seems so much fun! Loved the pictures.. Both maya and you look gorgeous

• July 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you Nandita! I appreciate your kind comment. πŸ™‚

5. July 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Love it! My step-brother lives in Vegas, but I have a hard time going because of the heat. I also feel like there’s not much for me to do since I don’t have a lot of money to spend and don’t really like drinking/gambling. At least you have a kid to fall back on. πŸ˜‰

I remember when my sister poured too many M&Ms into two bags at M&M World trying to make specific designs and I had to ask the lady at the counter if we could just not buy one of the bags when her total was $60. She was 26 at the time. It was something.

• July 30, 2015 6:43 pm

It was SO HOT there…and then indoors it was SO COLD!

I didn’t gamble at all J…just ate, swam, and walked. I don’t think I bought anything either! Except my $7.50 orange juice, which I am still recovering from. LOL

6. July 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Indont get the juice thing either. It’s like a cup of sugar with vitamin C. Just eat the whole fruit. Glad you two had a good time together. And now I want to go to Vegas just for the hotel pools.

• July 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Exactly, just eat the whole fruit. Not sure why people think I’m crazy for believing juice is as bad as a Snickers bar!!

Okay, maybe it’s not AS bad but still…

7. July 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Sounds like you…had fun! That’s a good thing. Sometimes you need to clear the palate. Since I never manage to leave town I decided last week was the one I would neglect as much work as I could (which wasn’t much considering I was performing several times and working a cocktail event that weekend). But I did every fun unhealthy thing I could fit into free time and it was so nice. It also made me really happy to get back to my workaholic ways;)

• July 30, 2015 6:46 pm

I remember the days of fitting in loads of unhealthy things during my free time. But then I had Maya and everything fun and unhealthy went straight out the window. LOL

• July 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Aw, I’m sorry! You get to enjoy vicariously being a kid again though!:)

8. Med permalink
    July 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Great pictures! So fun to sometimes do the things that we are “really opposed to” every once in a while- like listening to rap music with less than stellar lyrics with my little baby in the car 😁

• July 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Luckily he’s just a little guy right now…when he starts to speak / repeat those lyrics could be a different story. You have some time M! πŸ™‚

9. July 30, 2015 6:24 pm

And the moral of the story when i try to be the fun parent is “it kind of defeats the purpose if you end up freaking or bitching during the fun-ness” you’re awesome/we’ll be in Vegas in Aug (end of a trip) was it 110 out?

• July 30, 2015 6:47 pm

It was unbearably hot Lauren…105 at least. And then indoors is was unbearable cold! Vegas is all about extremes…

10. July 31, 2015 4:26 am

“It should come as no shock that I’m allergic to last-minute deviations from Routine and Established Schedules.” <— this is literally me. I hope I can do a random vegas trip some wknd soon! haha…my BF would probably be as surprised and happy as Maya πŸ˜›

• July 31, 2015 7:39 am

I definitely recommend an impulsive trip to Vegas Floey! Let me know if you go. πŸ™‚

11. July 31, 2015 4:42 pm

I love that you not so much as stepped out of your comfort zone as leapt out of it! Will there be more such spontaneous moments?

12. August 3, 2015 7:52 am

What a lucky gal Maya is! So glad you guys had fun and I loved seeing your pics via Instagram. You should make these spontaneous weekend trips a weekly thing πŸ˜‰

• August 3, 2015 3:46 pm

A weekly thing would be ideal…I just don’t know if my work situation would love that!! πŸ™‚

13. Nadia permalink
    August 12, 2015 12:58 am

A www loved these pics! Couldn’t wait to hear about this trip…..I am super impressed with dinner at 9:30 what were you thinking;). I’m sure maya had a ball since Vegas is my kids favorite city in the world LOL! Can’t wait to hear how London is going please post away…let’s talk soon Xoo

• August 12, 2015 3:25 am

CanҀ™t wait to catch up! FT me anytime. πŸ™‚