so many questions…

July 1, 2015

I know I’m not the only mother who has a child that is prone to motion sickness.

I know that most mothers don’t fear vomit as much as I do.

I know that 10 years is long enough to become accustomed to being barfed on.

I know that children feed off their parent’s energy and Maya probably wouldn’t feel obligated to throw up all over me constantly if I could just be less stressed about the whole thing (funny how she’s NEVER thrown up on Ali).

At the premiere of “The Trials of Spring” – a film I’ve been working on for the last 9 months.

I know all of this and yet I was on pins and needles during our flight to LA last week, as well as during the remaining hour it took to battle the freeway home.

You don’t even want to know my mental state during our 3+ hours traipsing up and down the 405 freeway the following Monday.

FaceTime with Maya... Does FT flatter anyone?

FaceTime with Maya…We both look half asleep. Why doesn’t FT have filters?

Ultimately my 3 days in LA went relatively smoothly and I left the traffic-ridden city without incident.

But the question still remains: When will vomit and I be at peace with one another?

1. seana permalink
    July 1, 2015 7:10 am

You will never become one with it. Eventually they get old enough to clean it up themselves. That is your only saving grace. My son got sick in his friend’s car a month ago (questionable etiology based on 2 a.m. hour of occurrence). Poor kid was out cleaning the next day. Karma 🙂

• July 1, 2015 7:33 pm

I don’t think the car can ever truly recover from that smell….I speak from experience here.

2. July 1, 2015 8:38 am

NEVER! My older one has vertigo ( I think thats it) but basically he can’t handle motion sickness, her throws up on zero gravity points. We learned this the hard way when visiting Saudi Arabia – there is a mountain called Jinn gali or something, basically it’s zero gravity and my little guy had the worse case there. So yeh – keep in touch, if you find a way to make peace let me know.

You work on movies? How very interesting. What do you do? (if you don’t mind me asking) totally going to watch the movie now that I feel a personal association with it. he-he

• July 1, 2015 7:35 pm

I’m sorry you too have a child prone to motion sickness…

I work on the finance / accounting side of things for different films and TV shows. I hope that whatever you saw was awesome!! 🙂

• July 2, 2015 7:49 am

Very cool!. I’m an accountant as well but I deal with Hedge Funds/Private Equity.

3. July 1, 2015 10:27 am

There must be a tea that Maya can drink to deal with this issue. You should just start seating her away from you, give her a cup of said tea, and see what happens. Either way, no one should ever have to feel at peace with vomit. That’s just… gross.

• July 1, 2015 7:36 pm

Someone suggested ginger tea, which we tried. That failed too…

I just need to come to terms but somehow can’t seem to do so!!

4. July 1, 2015 1:07 pm

One can never make peace with vomit. Never. I also want Facetime filters, particularly one that makes my nose look smaller.

• July 1, 2015 7:36 pm

I want a filter that makes my skin look less blotchy. Something that could handle my hair would be welcome as well….

5. Taking On Magazines permalink
    July 1, 2015 3:20 pm

Vomit and people should NEVER be at peace with one another! Sophie and I had a flight from Chicago to NC this past weekend and she started having a queasy stomach as we were getting ready to land. I was very nervous all the way until we were on solid ground since she has thrown up on someone’s shoes in the aisle as we were getting off the plane before. Ah, the memories.

• July 1, 2015 7:37 pm

How did the shoe owner react? I don’t even know what I would do in that situation!!

6. Priyanka permalink
    July 1, 2015 9:40 pm

I get it Ameena. Everything you write about parenting, I get it all now. My son pretty much throws up every week or so and I know I sound like a horrible mum but it just drives me nuts. Especially when he does it over the carpet. And then I feel bad that I fussed over him throwing up. ( He has a sensitive gag reflex)

• July 2, 2015 7:06 am

The only thing worse than cleaning vomit off the carpet is cleaning off the car seat.

Fingers crossed your son grows out of it P! I’m so sorry. 😦

7. sarahjmir permalink
    July 2, 2015 11:05 am

*sigh* I don’t think you can fault yourself for not being used to it, sounds rough.

• July 2, 2015 1:07 pm

I’d only hoped that after 10 years it wouldn’t be SO rough….

8. July 2, 2015 3:25 pm

Awww.. that’s tough Ameena. I don’t know how you do it, the smell gets me so nauseous. THat’s a great pic of you and Ali though, your hair looks so nice and smooth.

• July 3, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks Nisha…I sat through a dreaded blow dry for the premiere. 🙂

9. Priya permalink
    July 6, 2015 4:15 pm

You may not have to get over the vomit. Rewind 30 years or so and I was Maya.. I was an airplane thrower-uppper! I had altitude sickness and my dad loved to travel. This was a rough combo during my childhood. My mom would get all stressed and at the time, it seemed to me like she wasnt at all sympathetic of my plight. Now I know better than to judge her for it! It was not fun for my mom till we got to our destination. My dad was totally oblivious to the whole affair (something like Ali?). Mom was always looking for barf bags and trying to keep the mess from spreading to other fellow passengers. So I see your perspective. But miraculously, after my 13th birthday, I got over the barfing. It was like a switch went off in my head. I still get queasy on flights, especially when the turbulence hits. But I’ve learnt to take a few deep breaths and let it pass. So long story short, there is light somewhere at the end of the tunnel! 🙂

• July 7, 2015 6:55 pm

Sometimes I feel like I give Maya the impression that I blame her…which I don’t…but in the thick of it all I probably don’t convey that too well. It’s so nice to get your perspective Priya, and most importantly, you’ve given me hope that age 13 might be a turning point!! Thank you!

1. polish | Fancy That...Fancy This