flying solo

July 14, 2015

In about an hour I will be boarding yet another flight to Los Angeles.

Solo.

This is because Maya is already in LA, and Ali is currently at a resort in Florida doing”work.”

I have mixed feelings about this journey:

Positives:

– I didn’t have to pack for anyone except MYSELF. And since everything I own is black this took about 5 minutes.

Packing for one....

Packing for one….

– I calmly hailed a cab on the early side, and thanks to TSA Pre-Check, I had time to write this post.

– Maya is not with me and thus I am not on vomit-watch.

– Ali is not with me and thus I am not on technology-watch (his favorite thing to do is to FaceTime the second the flight crew makes an announcement that the doors are now closed).

Negatives:

– Maya and Ali are not with me.

It took an hour to get to the airport thanks to traffic and rain. But I didn't mind because I wasn't on vomit-watch....

It took an hour to get to the airport thanks to traffic and rain. But I didn’t mind because I wasn’t worried about anyone getting car sick…

Conclusion:

So they both drive me absolutely bananas – if they didn’t this blog wouldn’t exist.

But the last few solo weeks in NYC have made me realize that when I don’t have to manage their lives I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF.

How sad is that?

I’m thinking I’ll use the next 6 hours and 36 minutes to investigate the possibility of a new hobby….

1. sarahjmir permalink
    July 14, 2015 8:52 pm

That’s so relatable for me – my girls were driving me batty the other day and I managed to get them both to nap, did my happy dance (jk, I am a bad dancer) and 90 minutes later I was panicking that neither was awake, by the 2 hr mark I considered waking them up *head thwack*. Have a safe journey back

• July 15, 2015 9:11 am

I remember the good old days of nap time…I would tip toe around Maya so I could maximize every second she slept! You are a better mom than me. 🙂

2. July 14, 2015 9:14 pm

this is touching!!! you are the sweetest.

3. July 14, 2015 9:41 pm

You are such a darling!!!
    Well, that’s how it is with most of us I feel.
    When my kids ain’t around I really dunno what to do, yes u do enjoy my free time for a bit but then ..somehow feel lost.
    Husband is always travelling too, so I know where you coming from.

• July 15, 2015 9:11 am

I think we both need to identify some hobbies Z. Any ideas? I’m all ears.

4. July 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Try knitting, it is all the rage. And it comes in black.

• July 15, 2015 9:12 am

I’m not coordinated enough for knitting…I also think I am far too impatient to make it work! I admire those who can though…

5. July 15, 2015 4:13 am

What kind of purse is that? (the white one). I’m purse shopping so I’d love your recs 😛

• July 15, 2015 9:12 am

It’s See by Chloe and I really like it! You can buy it online at shopbop.com!

• July 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Is shopbob a good site? I’m looking at some of their bags right now haha.

• July 16, 2015 8:24 am

I like their site…quick shipping and returns! Can’t beat that.

6. July 15, 2015 9:15 am

I’m really trying to enjoy all the solo flying I’ve been doing. I can only imagine how things will change when we have kids!

• July 15, 2015 6:50 pm

It’s a whole other kind of travel Parita!! Enjoy while you can. 😀

7. July 15, 2015 11:01 am

Not sad – very, very lovely and one of the many reasons I love reading your blog posts 🙂

8. July 15, 2015 8:31 pm

They are your best hobby 🙂

• July 16, 2015 8:24 am

You have such a nice way of putting things Ayala. 🙂

9. Lydia permalink
    July 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Enjoy your little “me” time 🙂 and Happy Eid al-Fitr Ameena. I miss reading your blog.

• July 18, 2015 10:10 am

Thank you Lydia! Eid Mubarak to you (if applicable. ) 🙂

10. July 19, 2015 8:21 pm

You are such a good mom, friend! I hope you got a giant latte, a fancy snack, and enjoyed the rest of that flight because can’t nobody put a value on a barf-free journey 🙂 Hope you had a fantastic Eid and hooray, for the return of daytime coffee!

• July 20, 2015 10:50 am

Eid Mubarak to you too! I hope that you had a great weekend!

11. July 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Awww. this was a sweet post. A little peace and quiet is always nice, you appreciate it more when you have kids. Hope you’re having a good time in LA.

12. July 22, 2015 7:56 am

Aside from our impending shopping trip – may I suggest you watch Bin Roye?
    Don’t expect and Oscar nomination but it was a cute film! That would kill 2 of your 6 hours. Hehe

• July 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Bin Roye? I’ve never heard of it but I’m definitely going to Google it… 🙂 I have lots of flights coming up!

13. July 28, 2015 9:42 am

I love flying! But I haven’t flown solo or gone any place to visit alone. But seeing that I won’t find a companion — at least not anytime soon 😉 — I’m thinking of taking solo trips around the world. I just keep feeling insecure for the fact that I’m gonna be alone in the whole time in a foreign country and worried as I might get bored with myself. Two of the three reasons that kept me from traveling anywhere alone.

• July 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Traveling internationally as a single person intimidates me as well. I have no problem with it in English speaking countries, it’s the language barrier that makes me nervous!