the trip (maya guest post)

July 3, 2013

So it’s been a while since I’ve “posted.”

Don’t you love putting things in quotes? My mom laughed when I first did it, so I started doing it more! But then she warned me that doing something funny too often isn’t really so funny anymore. She also said that sometimes my quotes don’t make any sense.

My mom excels at making anything remotely fun no longer fun.

My mom and I at Haagen-Dazs. She let me eat as much ice cream as I wanted. I had about 12 mini-scoops and felt sick after. Just like she said I would.

Anyway, it’s been a while since I’ve posted because as you may know, we were on “holiday.”

We started out in NYC so we could find a place to live. My mom pretended our opinion mattered but all three of us knew she’d already identified where we were going to live ages ago. And we all knew we were going to live there no matter what. So really, the trip was just a mere formality.

But at least she was in a good mood and took me to Central Park and Dylan’s Candy Bar. So I guess I can’t complain about controlling tendencies.

I was a "Trump" kid for a few nights in NY. It was lots of fun. Kinda confused why they gave me business cards but I guess it was a nice touch. My mom and I were "offended" by the "There is so much to buy" coloring page. Shallow much Mr. Trump?

I was a “Trump” kid for a few nights in NY. It was lots of fun but I was confused why they gave me business cards. And my mom and I were “offended” by the “There is so much to buy” coloring page (Shallow much Mr. Trump?). The kid’s menu looked delicious but my mom says she’s allergic to kid’s menus so there were no chicken fingers for me.

After “we” finalized “our” decision of where to live, we flew to London, which was even more awesome than New York.

This because I got to see my grandparents and they rock. But also, after my mom’s laptop was stolen, she had a few days of free time to do cool things like play Uno with me and take me to the park where, incidentally, we saw a very pretty lady my mom called Posh.

I was far more impressed with Legoland than the very skinny lady, but I guess to each her own, right?

I think this was at the Science Museum. Or maybe Legoland? Everything is such a blur. Maybe because I'm jetlagged and I'm being forced to go to Summer Camp?

I think this was at the Science Museum. Or maybe Legoland? Everything is such a blur. Maybe because I’m jet-lagged and I’m being forced to go to summer camp?

We’re all back in L.A. now, and my mom is moving at 100 miles an hour again.

She wasted no time putting me in summer camp, which is where I am this entire week, despite being jet-lagged. Some people don’t think it’s unreasonable to put their 8-year-old in camp one day after a trans-Atlantic crossing.

But if nothing else, at least my mom and I will always have “London.”

My dad was being a bit "thrifty" when he said we couldn't go into the Wax Museum but at least he let me take this very neat picture.

My dad was being a bit “thrifty” when he said we couldn’t go into the Wax Museum but at least he let me take this very neat picture.

She’s cringing right now. I can feel it.

1. July 3, 2013 12:12 am

New York, London, summer camp. Jet setter!

You know what I love more than putting things in quotes in writing? Air quotes. It annoys everyone.

So I guess your Mum is right …. funny things aren’t funny if they’re repeated to death.

Whodathought.

• July 3, 2013 3:29 pm

Maya does air quotes! She loves them.

Unfortunately Maya’s mom loves them and over uses them as well. 🙂

2. July 3, 2013 12:47 am

I am happy that with all your travels, you still are excited by UNO.

• July 3, 2013 3:30 pm

UNO is a great game, well tolerated by Maya’s mother. Who dislikes games. Intensely.

3. July 3, 2013 4:26 am

The only thing I can focus on in this post is the fact that you two saw Posh Spice!!! I would have been freaking out. Seriously.

4. July 3, 2013 5:55 am

London sounds like it was a blast! And Trump is a moron so no worries about his silly coloring books. 🙂

5. July 3, 2013 6:07 am

Maya, I suspect that right now is a good time to do whatever your mother tells you to do, even if you are jet-lagged! I can only imagine that she is just a “little” (ha!) bit busy at the moment. 😉

6. July 3, 2013 6:10 am

Lookin’ sharp Maya! Always enjoy hearing from you :p Make the most of LA before you make the big switch to the Big Apple!

• July 3, 2013 3:32 pm

Maya will, for sure! Thanks for the comment Meenakshi!

7. Lydia permalink
    July 3, 2013 6:19 am

Oh man, Maya is so funny! Enjoy your last summer camp in LA Maya and enjoy New York 🙂
    I love Victoria Beckham, I’d be freaking out. Have a great 4th of July!

• July 3, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks Lydia! “We” hope you have a great 4th as well. 🙂

8. July 3, 2013 8:20 am

She is funny!! I bet Victoria is even more skinny in person then she appears on TV. Maya is certainly the jet setting little 8 year old. Can’t wait to see your new pad!

• July 3, 2013 3:32 pm

Posh is tiny. And after 4 kids! I have no idea how she does it.

9. July 3, 2013 8:26 am

I Love Maya’s “guest posts” 😀 !! This one is awesome. I wonder what my kids would have to say if “they” did a guest post? LOL!!

• July 3, 2013 3:33 pm

I often wonder what’s going on in Maya’s little brain…one day she’ll hopefully get a laugh out of these posts…

10. July 3, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Maya… I’m so glad you had a nice trip to NY and got to visit Dylan’s Candy Bar. How “exciting”! I haven’t been there yet… but I’ll check it out since you love it. London seems like so much fun too… I’m glad you got “quality” time with your mom. Sorry about summer camp, but think about all the “neat” stuff you’ll get to do there. Enjoy!!! 🙂 Sorry about the quotes… was it funny for you?

• July 3, 2013 3:34 pm

Nisha! You haven’t been to Dylan’s? We’ll have to go together. Maya will be thrilled to give you the grand tour.

And yes, it was funny for Maya. Everything is funny to Maya! 🙂

11. July 3, 2013 10:41 am

Ha! This was too cute. My father was also allergic to the kids menu, so I tell my mom that’s where my love for expensive chocolates and creme brulee stemmed from.

• July 3, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes, Maya loves her Godiva and sushi and Pellegrino and I suppose I have nobody to blame but myself?

12. July 3, 2013 8:45 pm

I love these posts 🙂

13. July 3, 2013 9:58 pm

Great post, Maya!

14. July 4, 2013 12:22 am

haha love it when you do this 😀 It is really entertaining 😀 such an adorable post.

• July 4, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks Eddie…I appreciate the comment and I appreciate you reading. 🙂

15. July 4, 2013 5:03 am

Maya, you write the “funniest” posts! 😉 Enjoy camp!

• July 4, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks Fran! Despite all her complaining, I think she is enjoying camp. 🙂

16. July 4, 2013 5:29 am

This is so hilarious. Can’t wait to see pics of the NY apartment.

I love that last picture.

• July 4, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks Jennie…no pics yet but by the end of the month for sure!

17. July 4, 2013 6:01 am

Love your post Maya! Hope camp is fun despite the jet lag!

• July 4, 2013 9:10 pm

On behalf of Maya, thanks Stacie! I think, despite her complaining, she is loving camp!

18. July 4, 2013 2:41 pm

A very adventurous and fun summer so far!! With or without quotes 😉

19. July 4, 2013 11:12 pm

A wonderful post again Maya – I think you had a wonderful time in London and I bet you’re going to really enjoy Summer Camp too. I bet your mom enjoys it better though! Sorry to hear you had the laptop stolen – I live in fear of that with me… 😦

20. July 5, 2013 6:37 am

This is so cute 🙂 Nice reading from Maya’s point of view. and Summer Camp for an eight year old? God! We didn’t have those until 9th grade. Go easy on the little princess 😛

• July 9, 2013 9:33 pm

We never had summer camp! We had summer school which was never much fun….

21. July 5, 2013 7:26 am

Ice cream fondue?! Amazing! That’s neat that you got to see VB at the park :P.

Love that last picture!

22. July 5, 2013 10:30 am

Maya you are too funny, I love your guest posts. Even if your Mom may not think they are too “funny”. 🙂

• July 9, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks Rhonda…I appreciate the comment and you reading!

23. July 5, 2013 1:15 pm

lovely post again Maya. Hope the summer camp goes by quick and in no time you will be in NY hopefully making frequent trips to the Dylans Candy Bar 😛

• July 9, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks Dixya…as crazy as that candy store is, I think that Dylan’s is a small price to pay to live in NYC. 🙂

24. July 5, 2013 1:21 pm

That sounds like such a great trip. I’m so jealous that you saw Victoria Beckham. I love her!

• July 9, 2013 9:35 pm

I am not the hugest fan of her singing but she is stunning!

25. July 6, 2013 2:45 am

Hahah you gotta love a celebrity spotting…even if that celebrity in question is Posh :)! I’ve only ever been to the Haagen Daazs cafe in Mumbai but y’all are making me think to add it to my list while I’m here!

• July 9, 2013 9:35 pm

Please take a trip to the Covent Garden location! It’s really extraordinary, and I don’t even care for ice cream. 🙂

26. ameliakumar2013 permalink
    July 6, 2013 10:11 am

Maya you write so well, any help from Mum (Mom?) I too am fascinated by celebrity hair, wish mine would look like that daily.
    Congrats on your move once again..

• July 9, 2013 9:36 pm

Wish mine would look like that too! But it never will – not without a ton of heat intervention….

27. July 7, 2013 1:26 am

beautiful mom and daughter.

28. July 7, 2013 10:12 am

Beautiful Mom and Daughter I second that. Ameena you can never have a bad hair day. You always look Picture Perfect in your pictures. Your daughter takes after you.

• July 9, 2013 9:37 pm

If I’m being honest Maha, I only show the pics where my hair looks decent. LOL

But thank you for the compliment. 🙂

29. July 7, 2013 11:52 pm

Oh we have missed your posts Maya. You are “funny”, fashionable and so easily entertained by UNO. I don’t know what mom complains about 🙂
    Glad you like London and on a side note so jealous you got to see Posh.

• July 9, 2013 9:37 pm

On behalf of Maya, thank you for the compliments and comment Shefali! So nice of you. 🙂

30. July 9, 2013 7:45 am

Maya, I think your mom is fun so that makes me what…? And Posh? Do tell.

31. seana permalink
    July 9, 2013 3:20 pm

I am off for vaca tomorrow for a couple days in AC NJ with my son and his girlfriend. I shall keep a lookout for Posh. I will give my next comment on your post as my son Jake. “My mom sucks. She only paid for our hotel and food. My girlfriend is mad we shared a room at the Borgata. We should’ve had our own.” Should be an interesting trip. If I can survive a 5 hr. car trip each way with two 22 years old, I can do anything 🙂
    PS: His girlfriend is more opinionated than you and I put together.
    Shoot me now. What were my husband and I thinking?

• July 9, 2013 9:38 pm

Wishing you loads of luck on a 5 hour car ride…that can be dangerous, even without two 22 year olds in the mix! LOL

Have a great time in AC!

And tell Jake he needs to get himself in line. 🙂

32. July 16, 2013 5:36 pm

There are definitely many of these, ladies and men disadvantage to through the help of technique is you may still must waste high quality rate, and the class may be significantly more minimal considering that the hands are likely to be attached in connection with the card dealer buys they have got because of the suppliers. The tactic to specific some of product flawlessness is to eliminate destinations and be known as satisfied with related resources along with materials related to Chanel equipment rather than.

33. July 22, 2013 3:44 am