a whole lot going on

June 12, 2013

There’s so much going on right now that I don’t know if I’m coming or going. But due to my OCD issues, a weekly post has to happen, even if it has to happen in bullet points.

Apartment Hunting

• We are in NY right now trying to find a place to live. I am mystified by the concept of what brokers call a “3 bedroom flex.” A dining room is not a bedroom. And no pressurized wall will make it so. Ever.
  • Also, I don’t get why we can only rent a place 30 days out. How do people plan things? The uncertainty of everything is killing me.
  • $465 a month for a parking spot? Baffling.
Trump Hotel in Soho...I highly recommend it, with the exception of their below average breakfast...

Trump Hotel in Soho…I highly recommend it. But definitely go elsewhere for breakfast.

Our Anniversary

• Monday marked 13 blissful years of marriage.
  • Instead of a gift I made a valiant attempt at not being bossy. I failed, just as we all knew I would.
  • Ali made me a handmade card because he forgot to buy me a real one. Just as we all knew he would.
  • We ate at David Burke Kitchen, in between viewing “flex” rooms and galley kitchens. The Pretzel Crab Cake sort of made up for everything.
Anniversary Pictures... taken by Maya.

Anniversary Pictures at our hotel and at David Burke Kitchen…taken by Maya.

Other Things

• Maya is driving us nuts. We keep buying her candy and books to make her stop. It isn’t working.
  • My email inbox is overwhelming me.
  • I need to educate myself on rain appropriate footwear because I just ruined a brand new pair of shoes. Suggestions?
Maya in Central Park.

Maya in Central Park. Aside from the fact that her eyes might be closed (I can’t tell) I LOVE this picture.

So obviously there are a million things going on and there isn’t a moment to breathe. But the truth is that I wouldn’t change a single thing about anything right now.

Not one.

1. June 12, 2013 1:18 am

It would be perfect if you could have a perfect, super clean, spacious apartment with number of bathrooms overlooking Central Park, So you and Maya can go there all the time for fun times. Enjoy your stay and Happy Anniversary. Thank you for sharing:)

• June 12, 2013 4:09 pm

An apartment overlooking Central Park would be a dream!

Thanks Maha for the anniversary wishes. 🙂

2. June 12, 2013 3:33 am

Ameena! Happy Anniversary to you and Ali! Ralph and I will reach 13 years in October. This is all so exciting! I have always heard how expensive it is to live in NYC and I’ve always dreamed of doing it for just a few months…like running away. That would be such fun! Reminds me of a book…Summer at Tiffany’s. Did you ever read that? No time for questions like that now…Find a Place To Live!! Good luck!

• June 12, 2013 4:10 pm

I have not read Summer at Tiffany’s but it’s now on my list…sounds right up my alley.

And happy anniversary to you…a few months in advance. 🙂

3. Taking On Magazines permalink
    June 12, 2013 3:43 am

Happy anniversary. It seems you did get the perfect gift this year. I’m still reeling from the news that you’re finally headed to your beloved city! It’s wonderful for you. I wish I could give you advice on the shoes, but I got nothing, unless you like Keds.

• June 12, 2013 4:10 pm

I’m still reeling too!

And I can appreciate a good pair of Keds just as much as the next person. 🙂

4. Fariha permalink
    June 12, 2013 4:11 am

Happy anniversary!
    Re the shoes, you definitely need a pair of hunter boots- your warm and dry toes will thank you… Plus they will carry on into winter with a pair of boot socks and help deal with the slushy sidewalk snow 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Thank you Fariha!

And I will need to look into the Hunter boots…I think those might be exactly what I need to get. Are they easy to walk in? Comfortable?

5. June 12, 2013 4:52 am

thoughts:
    nyc makes small apartments worth it
    patent leather for rain, my pick now I just need a good umbrella
    happy anniversary, we’re 15 years (tomorrow)
    How long are you here/when are you back? I am child free on 6/21.

• June 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Just left NYC for London Lauren…but we’ll be back in about 6 weeks for good.

Happy Anniversary to you as well!

6. June 12, 2013 5:09 am

Happy Anniversary to you and Ali! Despite the chaos of house hunting, I’m glad your time in NYC is going well. I hope you find the perfect place for your family, and I can’t wait for pictures. Have a wonderful week, my friend!

• June 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks Jenna…I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

7. June 12, 2013 5:35 am

Happy anniversary to you and Ali! I have a love/hate relationship with moving. On the one hand, it’s so exciting, and on the other, well…it’s a pain in the a$$!!! I’m so happy for you guys and can’t wait to read about all the fun NYC adventures that await you!

• June 12, 2013 4:18 pm

It’s definitely a pain but I’m thinking the final destination is worth all the hassle, right?

8. June 12, 2013 5:38 am

Happy anniversary to you and Ali, Ameena. Sounds like things on the moving front are shaping up and all very exciting! As stressful as packing up and home-hunting can be, the adrenaline and end-reusult makes it totally working….take a deep breath and soak it up! Loved your last line of this post :)!

• June 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Thank you for your anniversary wishes Khushboo! I appreciate it.

And yes, the end result is well worth the effort. 🙂

9. June 12, 2013 5:43 am

Happy Anniversary! I’m sure you will love N.Y.C even if the apartment is smaller 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree! Definitely looking forward to downsizing as well.

10. Heather C permalink
    June 12, 2013 6:21 am

Happy anniversary to you both! I second the Hunter boot suggestion but I live in the arid west so stylish rain gear is something I have firsthand knowledge of. What exactly is a “pressurized” wall?

• Heather C permalink
      June 12, 2013 6:21 am

*isn’t

• June 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Okay so I definitely need to test drive some Hunter boots! Thanks for the recommendation.

And I’m not sure how a pressurized wall works but it’s just a temporary wall that companies in NY put up to make an extra room out of a room that isn’t really a room.

Confusing? I know.

11. Lydia permalink
    June 12, 2013 6:42 am

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to both you and Ali. Here’s to many many many more happy & healthy years to come! I hope you find a good apartment soon (and also praying for the smooth moving process), apartment hunting could be very stressful, especially in Manhattan. Any chance we’re going to see you guys in the House Hunter episode? 🙂 Always love that show, esp. the international version.

Great pictures of you & Ali and of Maya. Looks like she’s enjoying NYC so far.

Agree with Hunter boots (or any kind of rain boots for that matters) are perfect solution for raining season.

• June 12, 2013 4:22 pm

So funny…Maya wanted us to apply for a House Hunters episode but I said no way. It would just be too weird to see myself on camera.

Thanks for the Hunter suggestion…you are the third person who has suggested them so I am definitely going to check them out!

12. June 12, 2013 6:42 am

Happy 13 years!! I am behind and didnt realize there was an imprending move to NYC!! How exciting.

• June 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Thank you Daisy! Yes I am very excited about the move!

13. June 12, 2013 7:05 am

happy anni! i can definitely relate to the nothing is certain and everything is up in the air mindset. i’m going through it right now too! my absolute rainproof gear are a pair of aubergine classic hunter wellies. you will not regret this purchase! rain or snow, your feet will always stay dry! i just pack a pair of flats in my bag and change when i get to my destination!

• June 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Can I ask a stupid question? What do you do with your boots when you change into your flats? I mean, it seems like people carry around a lot of stuff with them in NY but I haven’t seen them with boots. Yet!

14. June 12, 2013 8:12 am

NYC is one tough City to crack! So excited that you are moving there! I would be scared out of my mind but if it’s what you want then you take that leap. I get totally overwhelmed too in situations like that. Take a deep breath. It will be okay!!

• June 12, 2013 4:24 pm

It is definitely an overwhelming city…I kind of feel like if I can make it there then I’ll be successful anywhere.

Fingers crossed I find some work. 🙂

15. June 12, 2013 8:26 am

Happy Anniversary and good luck with NYC. I wear flip flops almost every day so I am not going to be able to help you with good shoe choices 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:25 pm

When I move to Hawaii I’ll definitely ask you for your warm weather shoe recommendations Rhonda. LOL

And thanks for the anniversary wishes!

16. June 12, 2013 8:37 am

A very Happy Anniversary to you and Ali!!! This is so exciting, you are moving to NYC!!!!

I didn’t even notice Maya’s eyes, until you mentioned it. I think its a great pic! Is Maya excited about moving to NYC?

• June 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Maya is very excited. The great thing about her is that she can adapt pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes Priyanka!

17. June 12, 2013 8:40 am

Happy Anniversary to you and Ali!! And I can’t wait to read more about your NYC adventures when you guys are finally settled in 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks Kiran! I’m sure I’ll be blogging nonstop about NYC and our move. 🙂

18. June 12, 2013 8:45 am

So happy for you! Sorry for the stress of it all, but there’s nothing as magical as moving to a city you love.

• June 12, 2013 4:27 pm

I totally agree! Or at least I think I will.

I’ll check back in after the move is over!

19. Sam @ Mom At The Barre permalink
    June 12, 2013 8:48 am

You absolutely need a pair of rain boots! It rains a lot over the summer and boots are indispensable.

Sad how living here skews your point of view but 450 is actually relatively reasonable for parking unless you choose to park on the lots all the way on the west side in midtown (which may be an option if you won’t be using your car everyday). Sadly, monthly parking can cost a lot more. Let me know if you have any questions and we can talk about them offline.

• June 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I’m sure I’ll be hitting you up offline with dozens of questions. I’m also thinking it’s probably wise NOT to bring a car to the city.

And thanks for the recommendation … I will definitely be looking into some Hunter boots soon.

20. June 12, 2013 9:18 am

Happy Anniversary 🙂 In spite of all this – it will be soo worth it at the end.

• June 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Thank you Dixya! And yes I think it’ll all be worth it in the end!

21. June 12, 2013 9:26 am

Happy Anniversary Ammena! So excited about your move to NYC! Lots of new adventures to be had.

• June 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I’m excited about the new adventures…thanks for the anniversary wishes!

22. June 12, 2013 9:52 am

Happy Anniversary!! 🙂 Seems like everything is moving in super speed but it is going to feel like a dream when you finally settle down, enjoy the rush! 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks Sonali…I am definitely enjoying the rush right now!

23. Piya permalink
    June 12, 2013 11:11 am

happy anniversary!!! ali’s card is so cute!! is that the empire state building he drew on it? lol. the worst thing about living in nyc are the apartment sizes, I would imagine. parking is super expensive here in boston as well :(.

• June 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Thank you Piya! I’m not sure exactly which buildings Ali was trying to replicate on his card. 🙂

And sorry that Boston is so expensive as well..I really had no idea!

24. June 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Good luck! We were also overwhelmed when we moved across the country. I think we even paid too much for our house b/c we were desperate to have a nice place to live, to make up for the fact that we were leaving EVERYTHING and EVERYONE behind. Soon, this will be a blur and you’ll be settled. Then we can meet for lunch 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I can see myself paying too much for an apartment because things go so quickly! I’m scared that nothing will be available when we’re ready to move.

I’d love to meet for lunch! Can’t wait to move permanently.

25. June 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Oh and happy anniversary!!

26. June 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Aww, this gave me the warm and fuzzies! So glad to hear you guys are doing great. Tell me you guys took a trip to the Halal Food Cart for your anniversary dinner? 🙂

• June 12, 2013 4:31 pm

I have never been to the Halal Food Cart but everyone tells me it is amazing! I will need to make a trip. Care to join me? 🙂

27. June 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Oh, are you moving to NYC? I can’t imagine paying almost as much for a parling spot as an apartment costs here.

• June 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I drew a similar comparison when I heard the price…crazy!

28. June 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Wow I can’t believe you’re moving to NYC!! I know how much you love it there. I think NYC is to you what LA is to me…so I’m glad that you’re making your dream come true. You’ll be in love w/all the little things no doubt! Happy Anniversary!

• June 16, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you Kate! I hope I end up loving NYC as much as you love LA.

29. June 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Jimmy Choo and Hunter have collaborated to make an amazing rain boot. Definitely invest in them here 🙂 It’s been raining A LOT

• June 16, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you for the great suggestions…maybe my first pair of Jimmy Choos will be in rain boot form? 🙂

30. June 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Happy Anniversary again!!! Ooops.. the card was from Ali, on Instagram I said, “awww.. such a cute card from Maya.” Well, it’s the thought that counts. Congrats on your move… that’s very exciting. I can’t wait to read about your NYC adventures. So nice to see you again, Ameena. Have a great time in London. 🙂

• June 16, 2013 12:51 am

Thank you Nisha! So great to see you again too. Looking forward to many more lunches with you. 🙂

31. June 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Happy anniversary Ameena. :13 years and going strong (Y) .

32. June 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Happy Anniversary, Ameena!! Ali made you a card – that is adorable!! Sounds like things are really exciting out there :-).Anyway, now’s the time to put all those Pinterest boards to use!!

• June 16, 2013 12:52 am

I’m not on Pinterest actually…I just couldn’t do it! Too much social media pressure already. 🙂

33. Shauna permalink
    June 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Happy Anniversary!!!! It’s ours today. We just got back from a nice dinner at our favorite restaurant in downtown Los Gatos.

I’m glad you are enjoying this process even though there are a couple of bumps along the way like a four hundred and something dollar parking spot, insane. Maybe not, it’s NY I guess? I’m really happy for you and your family. I can’t wait to be along for the ride and I was serious about trying to get together before you move. We can do it!!! Although you are going to be very busy…. we’ll see… 🙂 Love,

Shauna xo

I love the picture of you and your husband. I think Ali is really cute. And you are always so pretty. I love your hair. .xoxoxxo

• June 16, 2013 12:53 am

Happy Anniversary to you as well Shauna! I hope that you had a great dinner.

And thank you for all the compliments, as always. On behalf of Ali, thank you as well!

34. June 13, 2013 1:07 am

A very Happy Anniversary and wishing you many more…Hand made cards beat the store bought ones hands down anyday..That’s a cute card by Ali..and I must say that its pretty awesome that inspite of all that’s happening, you found time to post.

• June 16, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks Gayathri! My OCD won’t let me NOT post. It’s kind of terrible how obsessive I am with routine…

35. June 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Oh, apartment hunting is just the worst – and I can imagine it’s even crazier in NYC! This is so exciting, though, and I know you’ll wind up with a fantastic place to live. Aaaand you can probably expect to hear me begging to come live with you when you do…Maya needs a 28-year old sister, right?

• June 16, 2013 12:54 am

Maya needs a sister / babysitter! Are you up for the job? 🙂

36. June 14, 2013 5:10 am

It looks like you all are having awesome time, such an amazing feeling moving houses even when it’s so chaotic! And happy anniversary…mayas card is so cute ! Congrats on 13 years

• June 16, 2013 12:54 am

Thank you Amelia! Can’t wait for a new place as well.

37. June 14, 2013 9:36 am

NYC house hunting seems almost as crazy as the SF market. Here you have to bring your credit report, blank check and pen ready to fill out the application when you go to the open house or else you are SOL. There are so many people viewing and ready to rent out that there is no time to sleep on it!

• June 16, 2013 12:55 am

I’m learning that very quickly…the market moves really fast! I can’t believe it.

38. June 14, 2013 10:58 am

Aww what a lovely delightful post today Ameena – loved it 🙂

39. June 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Just read that you’re moving to NYC, and congrats on that :)! But $465 a month for a parking spot? That is seriously crazy!

Maya looks so pretty in that picture. I can’t tell if her eyes are closed or not.

• June 16, 2013 12:55 am

It is seriously crazy….I’m thinking we’ll leave the car behind? LOL

40. June 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Maya is very beautiful, masha Allah 🙂
    Anyway, we have the same terms as well here in Vienna. When i asked last time about flat, they keep saying 3 rooms. I was thinking 3 bedroom, apparently it is one big living room (with dining room together) and 2 bedrooms.
    I hate flat hunting ever since.

• June 16, 2013 12:56 am

Yes, I agree that rooms should = bedrooms. But that is not the case in NYC either!

And on behalf of Maya, thank you for the compliment. 🙂

41. June 16, 2013 7:09 am

Happy anniversary and congrats on moving to a new house. It’s really expensive in NY and the “three-bedroom” concept there is a bit strange for us in India. I loved your daughter’s pic, she’s so cute!

• June 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Are 3-bedrooms not common in India?

Thank you for the comment and the compliment Purabi!

42. June 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Happy Anniversary!

43. June 17, 2013 12:04 am

Thank God for the OCD thing. So look forward to reading your blog post each week.
    And yes Happy Anniversary!

44. June 17, 2013 8:33 am

Solidarity right here, I forgot it was Father’s Day, there’s always next year. In my defense I was camping all week with the girls in my church, and I am not sure if you remember but camping is my least favorite activity in the entire world. I think I should get an award for surviving!

Anyway, the prices are insane in NY, so good luck with that. Funny post, loved it. It’s always great to laugh at someone else’ life, cause you know mine is crazy too. Just without all the fancy food.

• June 18, 2013 11:47 pm

I think you should get an award for camping as well. It’s just not something I’m good at so I can appreciate how hard it must be for you too!

PS: I only eat fancy food when on vacation…otherwise it’s things like rice cakes with ketchup. 🙂

45. June 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I am just so excited that you’re moving to NY.

Shall I send you several separate e-mails with suggestions? (In case you’re in danger of catching up on your inbox?)

Ha ha – I remember 3 bedroom flex. And I remember – you call THAT a kitchen? Good luck!

PS Send Maya to the French school on the Upper East Side and then she can chat with Juliet in French.

• June 18, 2013 11:48 pm

I would love suggestions! Although we will be on the UWS due to schools.

And our kitchen? A matchbox. Literally.

46. June 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Happy Wedding Thirteen

47. June 21, 2013 6:31 am

Belated happy anniversary Ameena and Ali! Wow. 13 years!! Congratulations. Oh and all the best for the big move! Can’t wait to start reading your posts about the Big Apple. And hey- the upside is that you will not have to fight for parking spaces anymore since NY is big on the public transport.

• June 21, 2013 7:51 am

So true! I am excited about public transportation…

Ali-

48. July 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I seriously love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you build this amazing site yourself? Please reply
    back as I’m hoping to create my very own site and want to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thank you!

49. July 20, 2014 3:31 am

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I
    was wondering your situation; many of us have created some
    nice procedures and we are looking to trade solutions with
    other folks, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

1. london town | Fancy That...Fancy This