an understatement

June 26, 2013

I am an idiot.

I am an idiot because last week I left my laptop somewhere between Heathrow and Paddington Station. At which point someone else so kindly adopted it.

At the park...love London parks.

Love London parks…all of them.

To say that I beat myself up as I searched every inch of Heathrow is an understatement.

To say that I was disappointed to have to go back to L.A. early so I could locate my backup drive and get back to work is also an understatement.

To say that I was bitter when Ali and Maya threw me a little wave goodbye and then stayed on another week to enjoy Marks and Spencer, fabulous Indian food, Harrods, and Legoland (Truth: I’m actually happy I missed that little excursion), is the biggest understatement of all.

Love the food in London: Caprese at Zoom, Salmon Salad at Sofra, Salmon at Prezzo, Salad at ? (Can't remember)

Love the food in London: Caprese at Zoom, Salmon at Sofra, Salmon Salad at Prezzo, Salad at Le Pain Quotidien.

Naturally, I took my bitterness out on Ali.

“I’m not sure what upsets me more – the fact that you get to stay in London, or the fact that I can’t seem to come up with a reason to blame you for my laptop being stolen.”

Love Haagen-Dazs in London...even though I don't eat ice cream!

Love Haagen-Dazs in London…didn’t love Maya’s sugar rush after the fondue though.

Ali: “Well actually, it is my fault your laptop got stolen – because I suggested we take the Heathrow Express. If we’d just taken the London Underground everything would have probably been okay.”

On the River Thames...

Love the River Thames…can you tell I love London?

And this? This is why I can overlook the fact that my husband tells me I have fat thighs.

1. Med permalink
    June 26, 2013 1:47 am

I get so mad too when I can’t blame someone else (guess who) when I do something like trip over a shoe or bang my knee in a coffee table! You can see Maya’s sugar high through the picture!

• June 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Maya trips over a shoe and even if Ali is out of town she blames it on him. Now I know where she got that from.

🙂

2. June 26, 2013 3:33 am

Your laptop? I can’t begin to imagine how panicked you must have been when you realized it was gone. Anyway, that’s why we take backups, right? P.S. – Look at you! You are probably the last person in the world to have fat thighs 🙂 – Yours truly, Ms. Thunder Thighs.

• June 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Ha. I doubt you have Thunder Thighs…we are our own worst critic, right?

Unless one is married to Ali and then he is one’s worst critic. LOL

3. June 26, 2013 3:58 am

I’m so sorry! I would have been beside my mind too. That’s one of my biggest nightmares. Glad you have a backup drive.

Now that you are living in NYC, you can go to London whenever right? Just focus on the fact that you missed the legoland… 😉

What Ali said was pretty cool, ok, we’ll give him that. 🙂

• June 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I’m so thrilled that NYC is just 6 hours away from London. My two favorite cities…I can’t wait to see more of both of them.

And yes, we’ll give Ali a bit of credit. This time. 🙂

4. June 26, 2013 4:00 am

I love that you love London. Maybe you should move here! You one more step closer once you are in NYC! Sorry about the laptop! Maya looks lovely in that picture at Haagen Daz!

• June 26, 2013 7:53 pm

What part of London do you live in? My ultimate dream is to live there as well, maybe after NYC?

And thanks for the compliment (on behalf of Maya!).

5. June 26, 2013 4:41 am

Great photos and it looks like you had a great time in spite of it all! What a pain to lose your laptop!! I would have been crazy, too. Good luck with packing/moving!!

• June 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks Fran…now that I’m home I really need to start packing up! Easier said than done. 🙂

6. Lydia permalink
    June 26, 2013 6:40 am

I’m sorry to hear about your laptop. I hope you don’t have any personal info stored in there. That’s very nice of Ali to say something like that. Glad you have a back up. Love the last pic, perfect hair!

• June 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes, I am so happy to have the backup!

And thank you for the compliment. My hair was behaving that day! Difficult accomplishment in the rain. 🙂

7. June 26, 2013 8:03 am

Good for Ali for accepting that it was definitely his fault. I’m sorry for the loss of your laptop. I have left several an expensive tech item in places. It’s so frustrating.

• June 26, 2013 7:56 pm

I would have rather lost my phone, the iPad, jewelry! Anything but my laptop.

But I’m trying to move on…

8. June 26, 2013 8:41 am

That SUCKS!!! Not only the loss of the item but the loss of the last week of your trip. Sorry! And your thighs are so not fat!! You are tiny. Our husbands no nothing of which they speak.

• June 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Exactly…having to leave London was almost as sad as losing my laptop!

And yes, they know nothing of what they speak. I love that saying!

9. June 26, 2013 9:23 am

What a good husband for recognizing that it was in fact his fault. It doesn’t make the situation suck any less, but at least the thought is there. 🙂

• June 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes, he actually said the right thing. That alone spoke volumes!

10. June 26, 2013 9:29 am

Sorry about the laptop, I can understand how worthy the data in the laptop.

• June 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks Hassan…Luckily I am up and running with another computer. So I have to be grateful for that!

11. June 26, 2013 9:42 am

I am sooo sorry about the laptop. Ali is doing a good job there taking all the blame. Hopefully you will find it or at least have a backup of files.

• June 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I have a backup which is fairly recent. And I am up and running again!

12. June 26, 2013 10:44 am

Oh my goodness, left my laptop in a taxi once, the worst feeling. For me it makes sense b/c I am always rushing but something like this shouldn’t happen to someone as on top of things as you are. So sorry, but I find it interesting you love the food on London. And to change the subject further Maya/Ali look so much alike- never realized it.

• June 26, 2013 7:59 pm

You don’t like the food in London? Well next time you go I’ll give you some amazing places.

Hope you got your laptop back from the taxi??

13. ittakestime permalink
    June 26, 2013 10:58 am

That is an answer worth 100 lost laptops 🙂

14. June 26, 2013 1:49 pm

AWW! Now that’s true love. 🙂

15. June 26, 2013 2:45 pm

I’m so scared to lose my phone or laptop. My whole life is connected on there, which sounds pretty silly. I also love your husbands attitude about the whole situation! Funny how they are the first ones to get blame thrown on them for things that have nothing to do with them.

• June 26, 2013 8:00 pm

It is sad how much we depend on technology. It was definitely a good lesson for me to be more diligent about the backups!!

16. June 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Ameena!! I am so sorry about your laptop! That is the worst! I would panic. I lose my cell phone like 479879687 times a day and I freak out every single time even though I know it’s just buried in the pile of stuff I call work. The pictures of Ali and Maya are adorable 🙂

• June 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Funny enough, I couldn’t care less about my cell phone. I’m just not much of a phone person I guess? But my laptop? It’s like my 3rd arm!

And thanks for the compliment, on behalf of my family who are still in London! 🙂

17. June 26, 2013 8:16 pm

What a cutie Ali is :)! I’m so sorry you lost your laptop- I would have been a mess and a half! I just backed mine up for that same fear. On a separate note, I had a look at the Zoom menu online and it looks YUM- I emailed the lin to a few friends in London with subject “WE NEED TO GO”! Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

• June 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Please let me know what you think of Zoom! I hope you like it. 🙂

18. June 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Awww.. so sorry about your laptop… I can only imagine. My laptop died on me once and I had no backup. You have inspired me to backup my work tonight. The food looks incredibly good… I loved the food in London too. Maya looks thrilled in that last pic… must be the sugar. 🙂

• June 29, 2013 5:23 pm

I’ve become very obsessive about backing up now…I’m sure that comes as a surprise!

It was definitely the sugar. LOL

19. June 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Ali is so sweet 🙂 But sorry you lost your laptop- but you had the sense to back it up! I don’t even have a backup drive. Note to self: get one NOW. Sorry you had to miss out on more London fun. I love the food and home sections at M&S. They have the cutest stuff!

• June 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Please get a backup drive! At least an online version? Definitely learned how important they are.

And M & S is the best. Their home section is great…I bought a cute blanket from there.

20. June 26, 2013 10:29 pm

So sorry about your laptop. But just think of all the possibilities of going to London so often from NYC. It’s so much more closer 😉

• June 29, 2013 5:24 pm

So true, it’s half the distance! I look forward to more frequent trips. 🙂

21. June 27, 2013 1:39 am

Everybody knows your husband is a gem, even when he’s the brunt of lots of wifely humour. That stinks about your laptop!

• June 29, 2013 5:24 pm

He is a gem…not sure I ever tell him though. Maybe he’ll read this? 🙂

22. June 27, 2013 6:46 am

AHH losing a laptop would suck! I almost lost my mind when I lost my cell so I can only imagine how you’re feeling.

• June 29, 2013 5:24 pm

I wish it were my cell phone…I don’t care too much about that!

23. ameliakumar2013 permalink
    June 28, 2013 1:30 am

Sorry to hear about your laptop…after reading how distraught you were about having to leave London, I then see the pic of Ali and Maya looking quite happy with themselves and had to laugh!

• June 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Of course they were happy…I left them alone. In London! 🙂

24. June 28, 2013 10:05 am

Sorry to hear about the laptop. Just blame it on Ali anyway. It’s more fun that way.

25. June 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Ugh. I get a huge anxiety attack just THINKING about you losing the laptop. I am SO sorry. I am sure it was all Ali’s fault. He probably distracted you at just the perfectly wrong moment. My condolences.

• June 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks Andrea! This is the best comment because I can feel your anxiety (I say this with seriousness!). So I know you get where I’m coming from…

26. June 30, 2013 2:02 am

Ah yeah, never liked tube London, its always full and sometimes dirty.
    Take Heathrow express, is much more convenience 🙂

27. June 30, 2013 2:07 am

Although the laptop is stolen, but its always a thing that you could blame Ali for not taking care of your belongings 😀 😀

• July 3, 2013 3:35 pm

Very true Amy…and he’d probably accept it because he’s THAT nice.

28. June 30, 2013 7:35 am

sad to hear about the laptop, wonderful pictures.

29. June 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Oh what a bummer! Hope they had fun and sorry you missed the last week 😦

• July 3, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Stacie…I guess there are worse things than having to leave London early? 🙂

30. June 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Nice of him to take the blame for it!

31. July 1, 2013 1:19 am

What a sweet happy family! ! Mother is very beautiful, so is her daughter certainly will grow up to be a beauty girl !!

32. July 1, 2013 4:24 am

You two look so great in that last picture!

33. July 2, 2013 7:40 am

I miss London! It was home for so many years :-(..sometimes I think I should pack all up and move back.haha. Sorry to hear about your laptop, but I love the way you made it sounds funny 😛

• July 3, 2013 3:36 pm

I wouldn’t leave if I lived there…I love it!

What part of London did you live in Jehanne?

34. July 2, 2013 11:02 am

Oh no! Losing things (or having them stolen) is such a horrible feeling – and such a bummer that you had to go home early! At least it looks like you had some awesome times before you headed back!

• July 3, 2013 3:37 pm

I did so I can’t complain. Even though I keep complaining… 🙂

35. July 2, 2013 12:59 pm

So glad I just found your blog because this was hysterical! Not funny that you lost your lap top, but you’re so lighthearted and I love the back and forth between you are your husband 🙂

• July 3, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you MV! So nice of you to say.

I really appreciate you reading and commenting. 🙂

36. July 7, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Ameena. This is all brilliant:) Your missing out on Wimbledon and British heat wave. Wishing you all the best.

• July 8, 2013 5:30 am

I could deal with the heat wave…better in London than Los Angeles! 🙂

• July 9, 2013 3:22 am

London would love to have you Ameena. It will indeed add to our uniqueness and style. Wishing you a very blessed Ramadan.

37. July 7, 2013 10:14 am

so sorry about your laptop. I hope some good person finds it and delivers it to you.

38. July 9, 2013 1:58 am

Ali is really very cute…So you all like London more than NY! And all these pictures are just great, especially the last one. I love it! Sorry about the laptop, though.

39. July 16, 2013 7:02 am

Bless you – I can’t think of much worse than losing my laptop – I tend to do multiple back-ups as a matter of course just in case…

• July 16, 2013 4:30 pm

You are smart Ken! Multiple backups are the best idea. And now I’ve learned I need to do them as well!

1. the trip (maya guest post) | Fancy That...Fancy This