i’ve learned nothing

July 17, 2013

By Friday – day number 4 of Ramadan – all I could think about was eating a Spicy Shrimp Avocado Roll from Whole Foods. By Monday, however, the roll still remained elusive. This was because:

• Friday: we had leftovers in the fridge. Lots of leftovers. And we all know my phobia of wasting food.
  • Saturday: we were invited to a friend’s house for dinner.
  • Sunday: I was halfway to Whole Foods when I received an urgent call that my dad needed my car. To buy a TV. At 6:55 pm. On a Sunday night. (I’m confused too).

Against all odds, sushi finally seemed possible on Monday. Ali even said he’d facilitate! And he did. Except that he picked up a Spicy Shrimp California Roll instead of what I’d requested.

What I wanted versus what I received....and by the way, how disgusting is this ingredient list?

What I wanted versus what I received….and by the way, how disgusting is this ingredient list?

Before I get emails accusing me of being demanding, shallow, and ungrateful (I am all of these things – no need to send me email reminders), allow me to explain why the aforementioned rolls are NOT the same thing:

• The California Roll has no less than 55 ingredients (I am too lazy to get an exact count but a close up is available above for your perusal). This is a problem since I won’t eat things with more than 5 ingredients.
  • The California Roll also contains things I cannot pronounce and/or recognize, and therefore will not eat. Including (but not limited to): Aspergillus Oryzae and Powdered Defatted Soy Beans.

You’re probably thinking: Seriously Ameena? Do you realize that people have far bigger problems? Do you know how absurd this post is?

Well I agree with you. This post is ridiculous. And yet I will say this: since I did not eat this sushi, it went into the trash. So maybe the takeaway here is that I’m conquering my phobia of wasting food?

1. July 17, 2013 12:10 am

I love your blog! Every time a new post drops in my inbox it makes me smile, knowing that you will make me smile! I can relate to it so much: Such are the things that fill my life, even when I know the world has far bigger problems (and what it is with leftovers? They end up in the bin anyway, after I’ve left them in the fridge to go mouldy and take up precious tupperware!)
    I like the five-ingredient rule. I couldn’t stick to it, because then I’d never eat chocolate or cookies again, but I like it as a principle!

• July 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Such a nice comment…thank you so much!

And I eat cookies and chocolate and 99% of the time they have 5 ingredients or less…shortbread, dark chocolate, macaroons, all of these are delicious desserts that are free of unpronounceable ingredients!

2. July 17, 2013 12:44 am

If this post makes you absurd, I’m joining the club…I would have done the exact same! I’m more a salmon-avocado fan when it comes to sushi and if someone brought me a California roll, I would chuck it too..hate mayo! That ingredient list is scary- I had a similar shock when I was browsing the bread aisle yesterday….far too many unnecessary dodgy ingredients in certain breads (e.g. vegetable fat)!

• July 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I am not a mayo fan either…especially not when it’s accompanied by 1,000 other ingredients.

Vegetable fat? I’ve never heard of that before. I wonder where it comes from?

3. July 17, 2013 12:50 am

I’ve missed your humour. I’ve been out of the blog world for a while… something about renovating that has dented my brain!!! so it’s brilliant to start my trawl through my in box with you. happy ramadan!

• July 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you BP…for reading and for the comment. Welcome back to the blog world!

4. July 17, 2013 1:47 am

Ameena i need to take writing lessons from ya
    xo

5. July 17, 2013 3:44 am

awww I am sorry about the sushi situation but after reading things I cant even pronounce I would have done the same thing. Oh well, hopefully in NY you will be able to walk to the sushi place and grab some fresh ones. Hope fasting is going okay for you ❤

• July 17, 2013 4:38 pm

I hope there is a good sushi place next to me…nothing fancy! I just love my Spicy Shrimp Avocado combo. 🙂

6. July 17, 2013 5:55 am

I would’ve done the same thing. When you know what you want, you know what you want! And really, with Ramadan and a cross-country move in the works, you are totally allowed to be ridiculous!

• July 17, 2013 4:38 pm

So nice of you to say Parita…I love it when people excuse my ridiculousness. 🙂

7. July 17, 2013 9:23 am

So disconcerting, especially since sushi is basically rice, filling, and seaweed. What the heck are those 47 other things?! For the record, I’ve been craving McD’s french fries and I told the Hubster he has to get them for me at 9 p.m. tonight (or at 4 a.m., his choice) 🙂 Hope the move (and the fasting!) are going well!

• July 17, 2013 4:39 pm

I have no idea but even after not eating all day none of the 47 ingredients appealed to me!

Mickey’s fries…I haven’t had those in forever. I hope Hubster gets them to you in time!

8. Taking On Magazines permalink
    July 17, 2013 9:32 am

Yea! It always makes me smile when I see a post from you. I looked up one of those ingredients. Aspergillus oryzae is or ‘Koji-kin’ in Japanese, is one of the filamentous fungi most widely used in fermentation industries in Japan. Apparently, it’s pretty common. Goof.

• July 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I never thought to look up Aspergillus Oryzae…sounds a lot less scary in Japanese, doesn’t it? And yet I don’t think I want to be eating fungi?

9. July 17, 2013 1:12 pm

You tossed it! Oh my goodness. I def can’t do sushi. The whole raw thing scares me. And I still don’t exactly know what a Cali Roll is but I’ve already decided I don’t like them. Hope that sushi gets into your tummy soon!!

• July 17, 2013 4:42 pm

The Spicy Shrimp Avocado roll is cooked, which is why I love it. I’m not a huge fan of raw fish either!

10. seana permalink
    July 17, 2013 1:17 pm

You’re even pickier than me 🙂 My husband will bring me an iced coffee. All I ask for is skim milk in it. Half the time D & D screws it up and puts 1/2 and 1/2 in it which I won’t drink (lost my taste for 1/2 & 1/2 with my first pregnancy). I don’t get how he can’t see that it is so light, almost white. Beggars can’t be choosers. At least Ali tried. As does my husband. He was kind enough to pick me up peaches the other morning. Now, if I could only get him to pick up his clothes 🙂

• July 17, 2013 4:45 pm

If you want something done right…. 🙂

White coffee doesn’t sound too appealing. And regarding picking up clothes? Don’t hold your breath. It’ll never happen. Ever.

11. July 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Powdered Defatted Soy Beans?? Seriously??…I would have thrown it out too!

• July 17, 2013 4:45 pm

The word “defatted” just doesn’t sound appetizing…

12. July 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Kudos to your fasting! Keep up the good work!

13. July 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, that list is INSANE!

14. July 18, 2013 5:36 am

I’ve said it once before, your posts are always entertaining doesn’t matter if they ridiculous!

15. Lydia permalink
    July 18, 2013 12:22 pm

If I like something, I usually ignore the ingredients 🙂 And I’m not a fan of sushi so I have no idea of the different. Well, at least Ali tried..

• July 20, 2013 5:24 am

I can’t ignore ingredients…one of my many flaws. I wish I could as it would make eating things 100 X easier!

16. July 18, 2013 12:30 pm

whoa that is one scary roll. i too have this ‘thing’ about wasting food. i just cannot. it drives me crazy…like it will be disgusting…think natto or something and i’ll somehow gag it down. oh the guilt. you’d think i used to be catholic or something?

• July 20, 2013 5:24 am

Guilt is right…but I really can’t eat things I don’t like. So I just take those things to the office. 🙂

17. July 18, 2013 8:25 pm

How is it possible that spicy shrimp cali roll has that many ingredients? it’s crazy. Sushi should be like 6 to 7 ingredients max. Crazy. And whole foods of all places. I’d probably eat it.. haha… and yell at him after that. Not absurd.

• July 20, 2013 5:25 am

Agreed…6-7 ingredients max. I’m so confused / disappointed in Whole Foods!

18. July 19, 2013 2:26 am

Heh, my hatred of wasting food leads to…wasting food. I will buy an ingredient to make one thing, and only use a little bit said ingredient and have leftovers. So then I look for recipes to make with what was leftover, and have to buy yet more stuff I can only use a bit of to make the new recipe. So then I have all those things leftover, and look for more recipes…and eventually end up with lots of little odds and ends I can’t use up before they go bad. Cooking nerd waste issues.

• July 20, 2013 5:26 am

Since I hardly cook new things this isn’t a problem for me. On the rare occasion I decide to branch out and am left with leftover things that need to be used? I realize again why I should not cook new things!

LOL Nerd waste issues. So funny.

19. July 19, 2013 6:47 am

I think it’s definitely okay for you to be so picky right now…you are fasting after all :P!
    I hate wasting food also, but I also think it’s not worth eating something if you’re not going to enjoy it 🙂

• July 20, 2013 5:27 am

I agree with that statement…that’s why I often take things to the office, so that I don’t have to eat them. But so that they don’t get wasted!

20. July 20, 2013 9:48 am

How strange Ameena, I did similar thing. Yesterday I made a colleague run from one end of Hong Kong airport to other in search of a perfect Spicy Shrimp sushi ,,, I feel bad now…:( Another excellent post, puts a smile on your face:)

21. July 21, 2013 3:27 am

I love posts like these…they show how some things we think are complicated (like religion) are sometimes simple and we assume certain simple things (like sushi) are complicated.

Fasting in the summer MUST be a challenge. Plus moving. I am all for reducing expectations right now.

22. July 21, 2013 6:03 pm

actually being demanding is need of hour and this 5-ingredient rule sounds great. I try to eat less complicated and more natural stuff too … can try at least 🙂 Its a food awareness post actually so ticks off shallow part too ;> and at times I love being ungrateful too, lol 🙂

23. July 22, 2013 8:00 am

If you’re fasting all day and spicy shrimp avocado roll is what you want, then spicy shrimp avocado roll is what you should get.

24. July 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I was confused imagining that sushi has so complicated ingredients, when its actually only seafood wrapped in nori and rice..
    But as i read the ingredients from the pic, i guess the resto wants to clarify what is exactly inside, so you shouldn’t be worry about. As in details, such as salt, sugar, wheat, sesame oil, wheat grain, vinegar, canola, shellfish, and..
    Wait a minute, you are right, when they are trying so hard to explain, we start wondering, what is actually inside this sushi???!

25. July 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Ridiculous! But classic Ameena all the same and wonderful. Stay well during Ramadan 🙂

26. purabinaha permalink
    July 23, 2013 1:08 am

Oh, that ingredient list is pretty tough to read and understand…I know one thing…shrimps and avocado go hand in hand…I would have loved that! I loved reading your post and your sense of humour is great! http://www.cosmopolitancurrymania.com

• July 23, 2013 10:35 am

Thank you Purabinaha! I appreciate the kind words. 🙂

27. July 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I’m going to tell you about my pet peeve with CA rolls. Ready? CA rolls on the east coast all have FAKE crab. WTF? That is NOT a CA roll. Real crab people! (ok but NYC is probably different from NJ).

28. August 4, 2013 9:02 am

I am playing catch up on your blog and this post made me feel better. Because I am EXACTLY the same way. What did they do to those California rolls? This morning Chad tried to be sweet and make me a bowl of cereal (because he is not allowed to cook in my kitchen) but I don’t like milk. So I really only add enough milk to just splash the bottom of the bowl. But Chad poured like a giant double man helping of milk. So instead of saying, “Thanks honey!” I said, “EW.”

• August 7, 2013 1:24 am

So the question is, does Chad not know that you don’t like milk? So confused?