seattle. at a glance.

July 5, 2011

While in Seattle…

I didn’t cheat on my detox. Except once when I had a slight breakdown over a pile of fingerling potatoes. Afterwards, I was utterly disappointed in myself…until Maya pointed out that it’s not like I ate a pile of cookies.

Sometimes I’m surprised at how smart she is.

I didn’t get into a single altercation with Maya, despite being with her 120 hours straight. I didn’t even lose my cool when she continued to try to touch the artwork at the Seattle Art Museum after I warned her 100 times to keep her hands to herself.

I know, I’m shocked too.

I didn’t make fun of Ali, even when he spent every spare moment away from his laptop with the Microsoft Surface in our hotel.

Like a moth to a flame I tell you…

We came across a wall. Full of gum. I almost threw up. Apparently it’s quite the tourist attraction.

I am still confused and disgusted by this.

Two guys followed me into the hotel elevator, chatted me up, and tried to follow me to my hotel room. Obviously they had no idea I am from L.A. and am automatically 100 times smarter than them.

I stayed in full view of the hallway cameras until they disappeared down a fire escape and then reported them to security.

I hate to say it but I guess living in Los Angeles has its perks after all.

***Any avid readers out there? I just reviewed Secret Daughter on my sister site thefancybookshelf.wordpress.com.***

1. July 5, 2011 1:59 am

Before I comment – I’m just deleting seattle from my list of places to visit, Done.

Right – no further comment.

• July 5, 2011 7:36 pm

There were good parts of Seattle that outweighed the wall of gum! I promise it’s still worth a trip.

• July 6, 2011 8:37 am

LOL – OK let me reconsider my position and I may just add it back to my list of places to visit. My concern would be around public hygiene especially when you have pets hanging around the wall of gum..Jeee

2. July 5, 2011 3:16 am

I am with you on the gum wall. Even gum in a mouth is disgusting in my opinion. H starts chomping away and it’s like nails on a chalkboard to my delicate ears…

• July 5, 2011 7:36 pm

My parents never used to let us chew gum. “Why do you want to look like a cow?” they’d ask. And only after I was in my 20’s did I get it.

3. July 5, 2011 3:59 am

I’ve heard about the gum way! Sort of want to see it, even though the concept is quite disgusting. And who was the person who said, “let’s just start putting our gum here. It’ll look cool.”

So many questions…

4. July 5, 2011 5:16 am

You know what? I had seen the wall of gum in a discovery travel show. I almost barfed seeing that. I was pretty surprised to see that so many people visited that place. I loved all the candid shots. Especially the last one. Loved maya’s hait 🙂

5. July 5, 2011 5:20 am

Scary about the creepy men. I’m astounded by Maya’s cookie comment. She’s brilliant and beautiful!! I don’t even want to tell you what I ate over the weekend that we were away. I feel like crying when I think about the two pounds I put on. That’s a lot of careless eating. I’m reading the Secret Daughter. I’m heading to hear what you thought.

• July 5, 2011 7:38 pm

On Maya’s behalf…thank you Kim! She is pretty smart and she has to be to deal with her crazy mother!!

6. July 5, 2011 5:20 am

I Love the last photo of Maya and Ali…great shot! Sounds like an interesting visit!

7. July 5, 2011 5:24 am

Not sure why exactly but Seattle has a special place in my heart. And to think I’ve only been there once.

• July 5, 2011 7:39 pm

It’s easy to have a special place in your heart for a city like Seattle. It’s just one of those beautiful places you never forget.

8. July 5, 2011 5:32 am

Whoa, that gum wall is crazy. And gross. It’s amazing that it’s okay in Seattle for a gum wall to be a tourist attraction, yet it’s supposed to be quite a green city. Oh well.

Glad you had a great trip!

• July 5, 2011 7:39 pm

Maybe in their endeavor to recycle they went a bit far??

9. July 5, 2011 5:41 am

Sounds like a fun trip, but that wall looks kind of disgusting. Ha!

10. July 5, 2011 6:03 am

Oh my god, I hope that gum wall isn’t considered some kind of art. I’ve never heard of microsoft surface before, but that picture of Ali and your daughter is adorable.

11. July 5, 2011 6:07 am

That’s really scary with those two guys! I don’t know if I would have known what to do! And I’m with you on that wall of gum. Disgusting.

12. July 5, 2011 6:23 am

eewwww @ the gum pestered wall!

13. July 5, 2011 6:38 am

My son would be doing the same thing too like Maya and I would not be as patience as you are. I’m kind of a yeller, unfortunately. OMG, that was a scary story.
    I’m glad you’re very vigilant and that you’re safe! Maya has her smartness from you obviously! If I may I ask, where was Ali when this happened?

That wall of gum is an eye sore, not to mention totally gross! Yuck!!! A tourist attraction? Really? I wonder what the poor owner of the wall/building feel.

• July 5, 2011 7:41 pm

Ali and Maya were in the lobby playing with the Microsoft Surface when those guys were lurking about…

• July 7, 2011 12:51 pm

So those thugs thought that just because you’re a woman & alone, they could just scare you. How wrong they were! Good thing you’re very alert & smart. You go girl! 🙂

14. July 5, 2011 6:43 am

Even just looking at that gum wall makes me a bit nauseous. I’m not sure I’d be able to come within a few feet of it… I’d be afraid to catch something 😯

15. alittlelessfluff permalink
    July 5, 2011 6:46 am

Gum wall? *shudders* no thanks.
    Glad you kept your cool! Could it be your found your inner core of self control? Please tell me how you achieved that? Mine is either in hiding or broken!!

• July 5, 2011 7:41 pm

I feel scarily calm these days. I haven’t yelled at Maya once! I wonder if it’s the detox – maybe I’m so hungry that I’m too weak to find my screaming voice?

16. July 5, 2011 6:50 am

A gum wall!? HAHA that is too funny! At an amusement park outside of Pittsburgh their is a gum tree.. lovely 😉

I love all of the pictures and my boyfriend would be just like Ali with the technology 😉

17. July 5, 2011 7:27 am

Sketchy!!! I’m also on hyper-alert 24/7 (thanks to my mama’s paranoid raising of me) and if I see any sketchy business/people lingering when they shouldn’t i get to a public place stat. When I was just in bombay i opened a lady’s bathroom (at a nice hotel) to find a MAN in there when the men’s room was open, he got out apologizing to my mean face, but then continued to linger- so I just went back to the restaurant I was at and waited to go to a different bathroom

• July 5, 2011 7:42 pm

Shady people are all over India! And I’m sure you being so pretty doesn’t exactly keep them away from you!

18. July 5, 2011 7:51 am

The gum wall is totally disgusting! I love the picture of you and Maya in the park. So sweet and your hair looks uber shiny.

Big cities have their annoying traits but the street smarts you learn definitely come in handy. I grew up in Chicago and once here in Denver my friend and I were running a trail very early on a winter morning. We came around the corner to find a man with a hoodie cinched up around his head and holding a baseball bat. The Chicago girl in me kicked in right away and I pulled myself up tall, glared at him and said, “what’s with the bat?”, figuring if I am going to be clubbed and dragged to a van I would like to know about it first. Turned out he had some little dogs with him and had the bat for the coyotes, which where I live actually makes sense but my friend, who grew up in a small town in S.Dakota, couldn’t believe that I just called him out on it. Anyway, glad L.A. has taught you how to shake some goons in an elevator.

• July 5, 2011 7:43 pm

Thank you for the hair compliment and for the story! You are super brave to call the shady guy out on him carrying a baseball bat. I would have freaked.out.

19. July 5, 2011 7:54 am

HOw horrible with those guys in the elevator. I don’t know if I’d be able to handle that situation as calmly as you did. So glad you had the upper hand daaaaahling.
    Gum wall is totally disgusting. I was once watching this show called Unwrapped on the food network and there was this guy who makes “art” out of his chewing gum!!
    Well, if Seattle isn’t your thing, there’s always London ;)… come back and visit me soon daaaaahling.

• July 5, 2011 7:44 pm

If I could be in London instead of back in LA or in Seattle or anywhere else I would be! In one second flat.

20. July 5, 2011 8:02 am

A wall of gum? That is so bizarre and yet, kind of Jackson Pollock-y at the same time. I think I like it!

21. July 5, 2011 8:03 am

Oops, I meant to say “It is so bizarre.”

22. July 5, 2011 8:11 am

The gum wall is looking pretty nasty! Ha, I can see why it’s a tourist attraction, but I’m not sure if it’s in a good way … I’d like to know how that became the official gum wall :s

23. July 5, 2011 8:13 am

I bet you could outsmart anyone!

24. July 5, 2011 8:22 am

I love this recap!! I would be so into photographing that gum wall! I’m weird like that.

25. July 5, 2011 8:25 am

Were you on Zanax all weekend? I kid, I kid ;P

Oh how I wish I had your dauther’s lovely hair!

26. July 5, 2011 9:31 am

I really hope you cheated on the detox with a fabulous Top Pot donut as well! 🙂 It looks like you guys had a great time!

• July 5, 2011 7:47 pm

I saw Top Pot and knew you’d be disappointed in me if I didn’t have a donut. But then I started scratching my arms and realized I could not do it!! So I didn’t. Next time for sure.

27. July 5, 2011 10:01 am

I loved LOVED that book! I finished Ann Patchett’s State of Wonder a few weeks ago, and was really impressed with it as well! I finally read “Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home” and I think you would like it!!
    That wall is seriously revolting! You look gorgeous as usual!
    XOXO
    Barbara
    ps- you MUST get onto goodreads.com – very addicting!

• July 5, 2011 7:49 pm

Is that the book by Lisa Ling? I definitely want to check it out. By the way, I am on Goodreads Barbara! Please look for me so we can connect!

28. July 5, 2011 10:28 am

All in all, it sounds like a memorable trip. Now all you have to do is out-smart everyone at the airport likely plotting on how they can delay your flight or lose your luggage…and then you will be home safe and sound.

29. July 5, 2011 10:33 am

You guys just look like you had so much fun. I have to admit that if I were to cheat with anything, it would be potatoes (preferably fried or covered in lots of butter). If that’s the worst you did, kudos.

Actually, I think that wall of grossness is really cool in its own way. You couldn’t get me near it, but the picture is fascinating.

• July 5, 2011 7:50 pm

I’m thrilled that somebody shares my love for potatoes!! They weren’t fried or covered in butter but they were roasted in about a quart of olive oil and they were fabulous!

30. July 5, 2011 11:12 am

I was planning to visit Seattle last long weekend and then we had to cancel it because of rain.. and now I am not able to plan another trip. I so want to visit the place.

31. July 5, 2011 11:42 am

Ok – I’ve been to Seattle a million and a half times, and never once did I hear about that wall of gum. Weird. I kind of want to see it . . .

32. July 5, 2011 12:05 pm

they followed you!? lol your a brave lady ameena!and that wall of gum looks gross to me too hehe

33. July 5, 2011 12:36 pm

UGH on the gum wall. And, OMG on the guys following you! How creepy is that?!!?

34. July 5, 2011 12:44 pm

I’m amazed that you *almost* stuck to your detox! I wouldn’t last a few hours. Bravo!

• July 5, 2011 7:54 pm

Thank you Mads. I think the idea of my eczema hopefully disappearing is my only motivation!

35. Med permalink
    July 5, 2011 1:05 pm

Scary! Did security say anything about the guys?

• July 5, 2011 7:35 pm

They apologized and said they’d put out extra security guards but then I never heard anything about the situation again! I was kind of surprised they never followed up.

36. July 5, 2011 2:07 pm

Smart daughter, like smart mother! At a glance I have to say that gum wall looks cool. Though I have no doubt that once up close and personal I would be holding my nose and gagging also. Seattle looks beautiful. I’ve never been. It’s on the ever.long.list!

• July 5, 2011 7:55 pm

Why thank you Kristen! Seattle is definitely a must-see!

37. July 5, 2011 3:09 pm

A gum wall huh!? Very interesting…although do random people still stick their gum there??

• July 5, 2011 7:56 pm

I didn’t see anybody sticking new gum on the wall but I think it’s probably allowed…

38. July 5, 2011 3:46 pm

I’m glad you got to see/do all of the important stuff, like that gum wall. 😉 I’ve actually never seen it. I guess I should put it on my list of things to do if I want to be grossed out. I don’t have a list like that, but maybe some day.
    Glad you stayed safe in Emerald City! 🙂

• July 5, 2011 7:56 pm

I’m glad that you were spared the unsightly gum wall…we did not fare so well.

39. July 5, 2011 3:51 pm

Holy crap! That wall of gum surely interesting but yucky at the same time!! Those 2 men sound super creepy..glad you’re okay!

40. July 5, 2011 5:18 pm

Okay, that gum wall is gross. But I’m impressed you took your kid to an art museum. I’d be far too terrified!

• July 5, 2011 7:57 pm

I take Maya to every museum we can find in every new city we visit. She loves them and it keeps her busy for an hour or two!

41. July 5, 2011 6:13 pm

I’m all for gum, but that wall is nasty. Yuck. I know Seattle is all about being green, but throw the gum away – no need to recycle it.

• July 5, 2011 8:01 pm

Heather – Yes I do believe that Seattle residents are taking their committment to recycling a bit too far…. 🙂

42. July 5, 2011 6:20 pm

I believe that we reach our peak in intelligence between the ages of 5 and 9. It is all downhill after that. I can find no other explanation as to why children are so smart and logical and the rest of us struggle so.

The gum wall is disgusting. I have no words.

• July 5, 2011 8:01 pm

I think you may be on to something. So I think I’ll keep Maya close for the next 3 years so her intelligence can supplement mine…

43. July 5, 2011 6:43 pm

I love the wisdom of children!!

44. July 5, 2011 7:42 pm

That daughter of yours is a clever pup. Fingerling Potatoes < Cookies.

As for the wall of gum? Words fail me, really.

p.s. Sometimes Modern Art needs to be touched.

45. July 5, 2011 7:49 pm

The gum…the gum…it is going to haunt me all night! After a long day at work, it was refreshing to come and visit your blog. I hope you are having a good start to your week. Much love and many hugs from Austin! Thank you for sharing your trip with me. You and Maya are just BEAUTIFUL. Big crush on your fam.

• July 6, 2011 6:44 pm

Thank you Monet! Coming from someone as pretty as you this is a huge compliment!

46. July 5, 2011 8:00 pm

I love Seattle and go there quite often since both my hubby and I have family there. It does seem to bring out the best in you, maybe you should forgo the sun and move there?

• July 6, 2011 6:45 pm

We had nothing but sun while we were there! Not a drop of rain if you can believe it.

47. July 5, 2011 9:08 pm

Way to get along with Maya! I have not been doing such a great job avoiding altercations with MY daughter. haha.

That wall of gum is…yuck. As I dental student, I’ve spend the past several years learning about the bacteria in the mouth, so…I’ve got the heebie jeebies just looking at that pic.

48. July 5, 2011 11:21 pm

YAY for LA Lady…. hehe…. beautiful pics 😀 your posts always make me smile 😀 good good family….

49. July 6, 2011 12:08 am

Gross! Wall of gum?

Not loving the idea of a detox that doesnt’ allow fingerling potatoes=- dear lord! Hope it works- and Maya is very right.

50. July 6, 2011 3:44 am

Maybe the detox is making you nicer and smarter. If cheating is fingerling potatoes, I say you’re in good shape.

51. July 6, 2011 5:48 am

Omg Ameena, I am a bit bothered by the elevator thing. PLEASE PLEASE don’t ever get into elevators alone with weird creepy men again. Promise me that, woman! I don’t care if you were Superwoman. Gosh you worry me. With that said, so happy that you had such a great time! Love love that picture of you and Maya. And the wall of gum would’ve totally disgusted me, but I still woulda left my mark and taken a picture. Haha. Enjoy the rest of your vacation! Hugs!

• July 6, 2011 6:49 pm

I normally wouldn’t get into the elevator with creepy people but they didn’t seem creepy until they followed me out of the elevator! But I will definitely heed your warning in the future LeQuan!!

52. July 6, 2011 10:24 am

You’re so smart. I probably would’ve freaked out and started crying. Go you!

53. July 6, 2011 10:40 am

…..a wall…of other people’s chewed gum….uh yeah, don’t think I’ll be going there anyday soon. Lol. But still, it’s where Grey’s Anatomy takes place so I think that ouweighs any old wall of grossness :D.

Hope you have a great vacation!

54. July 6, 2011 10:56 am

I am glad you are ok from the creepy men…. jeez. And you are Indian which automatically makes you question everything and everyone.

55. July 6, 2011 11:11 am

Eww to the gum – I would have felt so dirty!! Yea the men following me would have really made me nervous – good thing you knew what you were doing 🙂 Ali is the gadget guru isn’t he?? Looks like a good trip … you guys look like you were have a fun time.

56. July 6, 2011 12:34 pm

Any suggestions for things to see or do or eat in Seattle. We are headed there next month as we make our huge move across the world.

• July 6, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Melinda – I recommend two restaurants: Wild Ginger and Flying Fish. Both are fantastic! I also liked the Seattle Art Museum, Pike Place Market, and the 1st Nordstroms. If you can drive out to Bellevue and the University of Washington’s village…I actually thought both places were absolutely beautiful, maybe even prettier than Seattle! Hope that helps!

57. Cindy permalink
    July 6, 2011 2:30 pm

That gum wall IS gross! Ewwww
    and good for you for reporting those creepy guys and staying withing the camera view!

Why didn’t Ali kung fu them down?

and yes, potatoes are NOT a pile of cookies!
    your trip looks amazing!
    xo

• July 6, 2011 6:50 pm

Ali was too busy on the Microsoft Surface to come to my rescue!! 🙂

58. July 6, 2011 4:10 pm

I love the last picture!

Seriously, gums on wall…how gross is that?!

59. July 6, 2011 11:00 pm

You my friend crack me up! Seattle is a beautiful city, but Vancouver is even more beautiful and I promise we have no gum walls….I would have died!

xxoo

60. Galit Breen permalink
    July 7, 2011 7:09 am

Oh, a wall of gum? I have…no words for that really?

Other than that I’m glad that your visit went well {despite the weird guys}. I so loved seeing your pictures!

XO

61. July 7, 2011 1:50 pm

Ok, the gum wall? That is disgusting. The daughter-she’s a smart, well, cookie! Let her touch the art just once, pretend you didn’t see it ; ) I’m getting old and getting closer to ‘grandma mode’ when it comes to little ones.

62. July 7, 2011 2:06 pm

The wall of gum sounds totally creepy but I really want to see it at some point.

Maya is smart and at six if she has this kind of wisdom about cookies I’m sure you’ll be a happy teenager’s mom in the future.

Love all the pics specially the last one.

63. July 7, 2011 6:09 pm

Kids can’t NOT touch. We just waste our breath even asking them not to right?

64. July 9, 2011 4:01 pm

Okay, you’re tough. I think I’d have lost my nerves with those two guys, but I’m not from L.A. 😉

The gum is so icky. Eew. I’ll need some more time to get over it. 😕