the emerald city

June 30, 2011

Allow me to share another example of why I hate Los Angeles:

I was walking along, just minding my own business, when I encountered the rudest person on earth: a twenty-something mom who was talking on her cell phone, pushing a $1,000 stroller, walking her three yappy little dogs, and hogging the entire sidewalk.

Me: “Can you move your dogs over? I’m not a huge fan of dogs.”

Total Bi@#$:“Well that’s too bad, isn’t it?”

Me: “Actually, your dogs should be on a leash.”

Total Bi@#$: “YOU should be on leash.”

Me: “My God…you are a total Bi@#$.”

Total Bi@#$: “YOU are a total Bi@#$!”

Notes on this absurd situation:

1. I am sick and tired of spoiled Beverly Hills brats. Sick. Of. Them.

2. I regret that I called someone a bitch…because that’s just tacky. And I hate feeling tacky.

3. I actually love dogs. I just don’t like dogs that jump all over my brand new and very clean jeans. I mean seriously? We all know I barely tolerate my kid touching my jeans, nevermind strange dogs with dirty paws.

The view from the Space Needle. Gorgeous.

I am in Seattle right now recovering from my encounter with Total Bi@#$. I’m hoping that this beautiful city can help me forget her and my tacky faux pas.

So far…so good.

1. June 30, 2011 12:29 am

Its time to move to the ghetto. They are more down to earth there.

2. June 30, 2011 12:39 am

Oh sidewalk etiquette! We should take your Beverly Hills brats and my absolutely oblivious Madrilenians and teach a class!

There is NO sidewalk courtesy here! Walk on the left people! On the left!

I can’t tell you how many times I have been run over! I refuse to always be the one moving out of the way… I now crash into just as many people. It’s currently a game of chicken. Who can hold out longer! mu ha ha!

• June 30, 2011 8:36 pm

That’s the thing…I’m tired of always moving out of the way! Why can’t other people do it too?

3. June 30, 2011 1:00 am

Daaaaaahling, there is no escape from the mega bitch, they are everywhere! Sad but true.
    What are you getting up to in Seattle? Its a place I’ve always wanted to see :D, hope you tell as all about it.

• June 30, 2011 8:37 pm

It’s beautiful here HH. I think you would LOVE the food especially. It’s right up your alley!

4. June 30, 2011 1:01 am

P.S. you should have kicked her in the nads

5. June 30, 2011 1:21 am

Gosh!!! I can’t believe that someone like that even exist!!! That was super rude on her part… I feel you did the right thing by calling her TOTAL Bitch;)

6. June 30, 2011 4:05 am

Ryan’s hometown!! I love Seattle…I hope it cleanses you of that Los Angeles nastiness. That encounter sounds awful.

7. June 30, 2011 4:21 am

Oh my gosh…you need to leave L.A – do you have to live there? I would lose my mind…

You travel so much?! Is it for your own work or Alli’s?

Uh…hire me?! 😉

• June 30, 2011 8:37 pm

I do have to live in LA because Ali refuses to move. But one of these days I will be on my way out of there permanently…with or without him!!

8. June 30, 2011 4:51 am

I’m glad she had the intelligence of an 11-year-old. “You’re dumb.” “No YOU’RE dumb.”

Really? That’s all she’s got? You should have sicked Maya on her- I have a feeling she may have been able to really throw down on this woman. Just a thought.

• June 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Maya totally could have held her own against this woman but she wasn’t with me. Unfortunately.

9. June 30, 2011 4:59 am

Go girl – you handled it well. Don’t let this silly women put you off. She simply has her head so far up that she can’t see anything.

10. June 30, 2011 5:16 am

I hate people who hog up the entire sidewalk. Not being as gutsy as you I have never called someone a bitch. But I have wanted to plenty of times, and this particular lady sounds vile. Good for you for calling her out!

• June 30, 2011 8:39 pm

You haven’t called anyone a bitch because you are far classier than I am!

11. June 30, 2011 5:17 am

I hate swearing at other people too, but with some people… you just can’t help it. Seriously. What a stupid woman. Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that people like that actually exist…

12. June 30, 2011 5:23 am

I love Seattle, and it can totally make you forget anything LA… You should have just pushed her dog off with your leg onto the street…

• June 30, 2011 8:40 pm

I wanted to push her off into the street but her dogs seemed too innocent…despite their yappiness.

13. June 30, 2011 5:31 am

Haha, I don’t blame you! I love dogs too, but that just wouldn’t be something I would enjoy :s

14. June 30, 2011 6:19 am

Enjoy Seattle! I’m jealous, I’ve been wanting to go there!

15. June 30, 2011 6:23 am

She did not actually say “You should be on a leash”. That’s so juvenile. Honestly, that comment would make my blood boil. Grow-up lady, honestly!

16. June 30, 2011 6:29 am

I’ve heard that people are much friendlier in Seattle…at least that can relieve some of the pressure of the nastiness.

I like dogs, but don’t like when they jump, partly because I don’t want fur all over me, and partly because I don’t like to get knocked over.

• June 30, 2011 8:40 pm

People are SO friendly here in Seattle! It’s really unbelievable. I kind of feel like I’m back in Toronto!

17. June 30, 2011 6:47 am

See in that situation I may or may not have “punted” said dogs in the crotch…or their owner. I’m never above a good taco kick.
    PS. Enjoy Seatle. I’ve only been their once and I lurved it.

18. June 30, 2011 7:15 am

While I used to love visiting my friend while she was living in Westwood, when my husband got offered a job in LA years ago I was pretty sure I couldn’t do it. One thing I love about Denver is people are not rude and not pretentious in the slightest. The scruffy guy in cowboy boots could be a millionaire but he doesn’t feel like he has to let everyone know it. Don’t feel bad about the bitch comment. A person can only be pushed so far.

• June 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Westwood is the worst! Too bad your hubby didn’t decide to take the job…otherwise we could commiserate in person!

19. daisyiii permalink
    June 30, 2011 7:28 am

Seattle looks breathtaking! how fun you get to enjoy a new city. that girl was a b*tch. wtf is wrong with people.

20. June 30, 2011 7:29 am

PS I hate when my real wordpress log in posts comments. But you probably figured it was ME. haha.

21. Cindy permalink
    June 30, 2011 7:39 am

That WAS so rude!

and OH MY GOSH how beautiful is Seattle!

I had no idea

have a great trip

22. June 30, 2011 7:49 am

I hate to say that someone deserves being called Bi@#$ but this female definitely deserved it. You did well with her.

I have never been to seattle but I have very positive vibe about that place. I think the same way about San Francisco too.

Have nice time.

• June 30, 2011 8:43 pm

It totally feels like San Francisco here! But I do think the food is better in San Fran.

23. June 30, 2011 7:52 am

EW! her dogs were jumping on you? I would have said many more choice words and I heart puppers too… thats just rude/ridiculous

you should have snapped a photo of her with your camera and said “i’m blogging about your b##### a$$”

• June 30, 2011 8:44 pm

But then I would have had to explain what blogging is…she was THAT stupid.

24. June 30, 2011 8:22 am

GAHHHH! How maddening this would be? I can’t believe you called her a B*…that’s awesome. She sounds like she deserved it!

25. June 30, 2011 8:27 am

omg–you were totally right in calling her a b****! She told you that you should be on a leash? If someone told me that, they’d be lucky to walk away without a limp. lol

26. June 30, 2011 8:28 am

I am sorry you had to endure such an unpleasant encounter with a very discourteous woman. Nevertheless, the recap is fairly hilarious. We don’t even have sidewalks where I live! I hope Seattle treats you well.

27. actorsdiet permalink
    June 30, 2011 8:50 am

okay NOW do you see why i hate going to 90210?!? come hang out in my ‘hood. people are nice i swear!

• Gwen permalink
      June 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Lynn is right, other parts of the LA area are much much better. I live in Redondo Beach and the people are great 🙂 I used to work in Beverly Hills and some of the people there just live on a different planet; like the lovely woman you encountered, ugh. She deserved the name you called her.

• June 30, 2011 8:47 pm

I’m in Redondo all the time and you are totally right – people are SO much nicer there. It’s more of a family atmosphere so maybe that’s why?

28. June 30, 2011 8:55 am

I have a big pet-peeve with people who humanize their dogs and feel they share the same priorities as humans. I’ve had many confrontations with dog owners… too many times I have had dogs run into me and I say “excuse me, your dog just ran into me and i almost tripped”.. and they say “well FU*K, you should watch where your going bi**h”. they get so defensive. and God forbid i say anything bad about their dog, like “stupid dog” because then they verbally attack me as if i had called their child stupid. And to vent a little more, I have noticed that there are a few dog owners who pay more attention to their pets at the park than they do their own children!!!

but to the good and respectful dog owners out there, i say thank you, because i know there are many who have good common sense.

xoxo ❤

29. June 30, 2011 8:55 am

I love Seattle. Since you’re there, you should cross the border and come visit me. Its only a 2.5 hour drive, Im worth it. 🙂

• June 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Can you drive down 2.5 hours? I am definitely worth it!!

30. June 30, 2011 8:57 am

I’m actually scared of dogs so I can’t stand it when people don’t put their dogs on leashes. How rude! You got guts lady!! I might think it in my head but I don’t know if I’d ever have the guts to call someone that. People are crazy these days you coulda ended up in a brawl…but I’m glad you didn’t. Enjoy your chance of scenery.

• June 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Luckily it was afternoon otherwise I would have definitely re-thought my comment. But since it was a girl with a baby I figured she wasn’t too dangerous.

31. June 30, 2011 8:58 am

Dear Ameena – Alas! such women have a propensity of existing in large numbers and breeding too…..everywhere. Wanna trade my local women ‘from a certain part of Asia’ for your beeyotches? Something tells me you’ll hand them right back…lol….SO for the sake of your health and happiness I hope you encounter none of them in beautiful Seattle.

Don’t forget to visit The Seattle Public Library while you’re there – I know that’s the pushy architect in me talking but I know you’ll love it 🙂

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

• June 30, 2011 8:49 pm

I’m off to the Seattle Library tomorrow for sure…there wasn’t enough time today but I am definitely going to make it there tomorrow.

32. June 30, 2011 9:15 am

Ugh I hate rude people! I also really dislike when people think that just because they are in love with their dog that everyone else will be as well! A dog bit my dad while he was out running the other day because the lady didn’t have it on a leash..and the lady tried blaming the dog, when she’s the one who’s responsible. My dad was nice to her about it but he told her, you should be more careful- my daughter runs here often and if this had happened to her she would have reacted totally differently. Lol meaning crazy and vitchy of course.

• June 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Your dad is super forgiving…I need to take a lesson!

33. June 30, 2011 9:19 am

Ah people like that are so frustrating! I hope there are people like that everywhere – but this woman sounds like a true LA gem.

I LOVE Seattle – make sure you make it over to the first Starbucks ever!

• June 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I just walked by no less than 8 Starbucks in less than 10 minutes and they were all closed! At 8pm! Talk about a surprise.

34. June 30, 2011 9:29 am

I’m not sure what’s worse- the prospect of a $1000 stroller or of a dog licking me! I really hope you get a Top Pot donut in Seattle (the stomach ache is worth it) 🙂

• June 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I want to have a donut more than you know. But thanks to detox donuts are OUT. 😦

35. June 30, 2011 9:48 am

Oh me, oh my! That is CRAZYY! I am glad you are in Seattle though :)… come to Pittsburgh!!

36. June 30, 2011 9:57 am

I was in Seattle once, many years ago for a very short weekend. It was incredibly beautiful and it should clear your head of the Los Angeles smog. I’ve been to Los Angeles several times, but stayed in Santa Monica. I have seen the freeways…I truly don’t know how anyone lives there. Escape with Ralph and Me to New Mexico!!

• June 30, 2011 8:52 pm

I haven’t been to New Mexico yet but you are so right about my head being completely smog-free at this point!

37. June 30, 2011 10:02 am

Ugh, encounters like that leave me feeling icky all day. Hopefully The Total Bi@#$ steps in some dog poo, because she sounds like the type of person who wouldn’t clean up after her dogs either.
    Lovely view of Seattle though! haha

• June 30, 2011 8:53 pm

I’m sure she wouldn’t clean up after her dog. Why doesn’t karma take care of people like this?

38. June 30, 2011 10:54 am

wow, now that some serious stick stuck up there. I think I just might stay in shock!

39. Leslie permalink
    June 30, 2011 11:03 am

I adore Seattle! I had clients on Bainbridge Island. What a dream to take the ferry over. I’ve been there about half a dozen times and it’s never rained once for me, I’ve been so lucky. It looks gorgeous for you there as well.

Am I crazy for feeling sorry for a woman with 3 yapping dogs (unleashed), a baby, and a phone call? What a strolling disaster of stress & tension & rudeness. Seems like she throws money at problems (like a $1000 stroller) instead of compassion or understanding or embracing the concept of “All is One.”

• June 30, 2011 8:54 pm

If she hadn’t been so rude to me I would have admired her multi-tasking abilities…I too have been there! But yes, she needs to embrace the “all is one” concept, ASAP.

40. June 30, 2011 11:52 am

Sometimes you cannot help but use the b’word…that was one of those times!!!! I think you handled it spot on!

• June 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Thank you Amy. You understand how much I long for approval to know I made the right decision!!

41. June 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Those situations leave a sick dark pit in my stomach. Was it in the 90210? or the 90025? I try very very hard to just ignore people who are so obviously rude, but it’s hard when their animals are ripping up your jeans.

Enjoy your trip- looks like great weather!

• June 30, 2011 8:55 pm

It was the 90024 actually. But she was a BH bitch for sure. It was written all over her face.

42. June 30, 2011 3:06 pm

i’m in silverlake + it’s the same sort of deal. people without manners. why do we put up with this stuff? i’m right there with you on wanting to call people out on it — why not? she sounds like the b word to me…

• June 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Silverlake is the worst Gwen! The people there are similar to the BH crowd but they are total hipsters which means the chip on their shoulder is even bigger.

43. June 30, 2011 4:41 pm

That would drive me nuts, too! just because you could probably buy me away from my parents with your weekly allowance DOESN’T mean you own the streets..or the sidewalks.

• June 30, 2011 8:57 pm

I’m sure your parents would expect far more $ for a sweet person like you Jess!

44. June 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Oh sister, I would have FREAKED OUT if some woman was letting her strange puppies paw at me. Not okay. It’s definitely time to start plotting your escape. If not to another city, to a part of the city where people are especially fond of indoor cats as pets.

45. June 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Good grief! I like dogs I know, but I do not like having to deal with strange dogs in public and I thin ALL dogs ought to be on a leash when they are out and about. Period.

• June 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Isn’t that a law or something? I could have sworn it is.

• July 9, 2011 8:22 am

It varies by city, I think, but it’s rarely enforced. Just today I had a little leashless dog charge me and I was tempted to drop-kick it back at it’s owner.

46. June 30, 2011 7:36 pm

wow cat fight! lol im sure the dogs enjoyed that haha

47. June 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Please visit the market…it will change your life!

48. June 30, 2011 11:06 pm

OMG! I cant believe you actually had a conversation that went down like that. Sooooooo what we watch in the movies. LOL. I remember being on a bus in LA, there was an absolute screaming match with this young couple, oh and a woman that spat, she actually spat. So yeah, I can appreciate the folk that live in your fine city. 🙂
    Yay to new jeans and ya to trips to Seattle. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. 🙂

• July 1, 2011 5:31 pm

Wow now I don’t feel so tacky about calling someone a bitch. At least I didn’t spit! Who does stuff like that? That is disgusting!

49. July 1, 2011 12:36 am

I don’t care if it’s tacky, I think it’s hilarious that you called someone that. Classic, seriously. And for good reason…she sounds exactly like the word you called her. 😛
    As I said already, so jealous that you’re in Seattle. Take some fabulous pictures and have a great time!

• July 1, 2011 5:32 pm

I have a similar picture to yours in front of Pike Place Market!

50. July 1, 2011 5:59 am

Wow, I can’t even imagine responding that way that woman did. People are incredible…

51. July 1, 2011 6:20 am

That was pure rudeness at its best! Good for you, she *deserved* to be called that. How rude! I’ve never called someone b*tch before, even though I would love to, but I think I’m too chicken to do it. I usually just give them my “evil” stares (but it never work either).
    Hope you have a better time in Seattle, never been there (although I really really really want to since “Sleepless In Seattle” – I know, lame, isnt’it?). And hopefully it’s not raining all the time while you’re there. How about visit NY State next time? 🙂

• July 1, 2011 5:35 pm

I don’t think that’s lame at all! I wanted to visit Seattle since I watched the same movie. And luckily no rain! PS – I’ll be in NYC in a couple of weeks! Let me know if you want to meet up.

• July 2, 2011 4:50 am

Thanks for the invite!! I would LOVE to meet up with you anywhere but especially NYC!! Soooo excited until… I remember that this month and half of next month my oldest son is in the summer camp and will have some breaks from it in between!! So unfortunately not a good time… 😦 Bummer! Rain check, next time?
        Enjoy NY City, there is (almost) no b*tch with yappy dogs in there! Just be careful with pick-pocketers though.

• July 2, 2011 7:20 am

We’ll meet up soon…definitely next time!!

52. July 1, 2011 7:04 am

Ha! Just got back from a run, was zipping up through Strawberry Fields and a blob of teenage tourists. I pulled to one side and tried to make my way and this line of midwestern (sorry, heard accents!) teens didn’t budge. I said “excuse me” in a voice so far from polite and actually nudged one of the brightly clothed girls over. So you called someone a b!#(+, I used physical violence. I felt guilt but it was sort of fun and stress relieving.

• July 1, 2011 5:37 pm

I don’t think nudging is physical violence…after all, I “nudge” Maya over constantly!!

53. July 1, 2011 11:02 am

Hahahah! No way, that is too funny. Sorry it happened at your expense, but I am cracking up.

54. July 1, 2011 5:23 pm

at least in Indy the snarky people only exist on the internet 🙂 I want to move to Seattle, btw.

55. July 1, 2011 7:28 pm

Rude people irk me so much! I would have just given her the evil eye…I’m pretty good at it!

56. July 2, 2011 5:10 am

you should move to Santa Barbara, so much quieter and laid back. Or you can join me on the east coast now! Sadly there are snotty b*#ches everywhere that think they’re dogs deserve more respect than people.

• July 3, 2011 7:34 pm

I would join you on the east coast in about a second flat. If only Ali would say yes!

57. July 2, 2011 6:05 am

UGH! People like that just…should vanish. You won’t find too many Seattle people like that…hey you should also check out Portland since it’s pretty close- DEFINITELY not an attitude like that around there

• July 3, 2011 7:35 pm

People in Seattle are extraordinarily nice. None of us could believe it.

58. July 2, 2011 6:54 am

Oh gosh. I’m a dog person and I love dogs, but owners really need to have their dogs on leashes. If not for the safety of others then at least for the safety of their dog. Not only was this woman a b**ch, but she’s not a very smart one either.

Hope you’re enjoying Seattle, my dear. I’ve only been there once, but have always wanted to go back ever since. It really is beautiful there huh? Have loads of fun! Don’t let any b**ches spoil your trip (both the human kind and the dog kind…teehee).

• July 3, 2011 7:36 pm

Seattle really is beautiful! I didn’t run into a single b**ch. Not one.

59. July 2, 2011 8:02 am

wow, WOW. and that’s why i don’t miss california.

move to wisconsin. madison’s a pretty nice city and honestly i have YET to meet a person that didn’t bend over backwards to be nice and helpful. coming from california, it’s almost creepy.

• July 3, 2011 7:37 pm

People in Seattle really bent over backwards to help us. It was really pretty shocking.

60. July 2, 2011 8:06 am

That’s horrible! I am so sorry you had to encounter that! That ‘person’ obviously has huge issues! On a positive note, your picture is STUNNING!!! I would love to visit Seattle!!! Nothing like exploring neat little shops (and grocery stores ha ha) to take your mind off of the Bit*$ *pun intended.
    XOXO
    Barbara

• July 3, 2011 7:38 pm

Yes the gorgeous landscape definitely took my mind off my hatred for LA. For a few days anyway. And now we’re home. Sigh…

61. July 2, 2011 1:30 pm

Regarding people like that, the only thing that comes to my mind is … Die out. Please.

• July 3, 2011 2:55 pm

Kath, I feel like you might enjoy the movie Idiocracy, which makes a convincing case that the opposite scenario is more likely and already happening!

• July 3, 2011 7:39 pm

I want to watch Idiocracy! I haven’t heard about it before.

62. Priyanka permalink
    July 3, 2011 8:21 am

I hope you find some regular human behavior in Seattle 🙂 What a waste such people are?!

63. peacebeme permalink
    July 3, 2011 9:05 am

I am Seattle right now too!!!

I agree with you, I LOVE dogs but they should always be on a leash. You can’t just assume everyone else loves your dog as much as you do.

• July 3, 2011 7:42 pm

You are in Seattle too? What crazy timing! How do you like it?

64. July 3, 2011 2:54 pm

That sounds super frustrating! I don’t know what I would have done… I hate dogs jumping on top of me too, especially slobbery ones (well, depending on what I am wearing. If it’s a jeans and sweatshirt day, fine. Otherwise, major anxiety!!!

65. July 4, 2011 9:49 am

In Canada, we would all be thinking this but wouldn’t have the guts to have the interaction this way. We’re nice to each other’s faces but then we’ll talk at length behind your back. When we used to have our dog still (he passed almost five years ago), I always moved to the grass when someone came along. Socially? I’m really polite. Behind closed doors to my husband? Not so much.

• July 6, 2011 1:34 pm

I am not so polite to my husband behind closed doors either. I am working on this!! I’m not making much progress unfortunately…

66. July 4, 2011 10:58 am

I have no patience for rudeness. So I am pretty much a judgemental person.

Hey! Love Seattle…make sure to try out some of the local neighboorhood markets there. And you have to go to SERIOUS pizza!

67. July 4, 2011 10:03 pm

Ouch …That was nasty of her …….. You Go Ameena for retaliating back with valor (Y)…

68. July 4, 2011 11:00 pm

No, Ameena, she was definitely the tacky one and in the wrong. She was a bitch, and good for you for calling her out on it. The problem is though, she probably gets called that on a regular basis, so it’s probably bugging you more than it’s bugging her.

69. July 10, 2011 7:17 am

gah! In another city again? I’m planning to go there for a wedding this fall!! Looks gorgeous already.

70. July 10, 2011 7:18 am

BTW she’s a b*tch. You asked her nicely. I hate going to parks and there are dogs on the loose. I don’t give a shit if they are “well trained”, I’m scared of dogs and don’t want them jumping on me.

71. July 28, 2011 12:30 pm

thats LA for you and there are definitely a cluster of pretentious people in certain zip codes – some have entitlement written all over thier faces! but they are nice people, just takes longer to find….this is my experience.