i hate my acupuncturist

June 23, 2011

So Ali brought home a third iPad and a Google Chromebook. Yes, really. And I SO want to make fun of him for this but I simply don’t have the energy.

Because I am freaking starving right now.

In a nutshell acupuncture has not worked for me. I’ve basically paid out a small fortune over the last 3 months only to have my eczema regress right back to where it was…3 months ago. So now I’m out a whole lot of time and money, and I’m still scratching my arms like a crazy person.

On the plus side I’m now seeing a new guy who came highly recommended for skin issues like mine. His credentials are…mysterious. But I wouldn’t care if he wore a Superman cape and red tights because he says he can solve my problem. In order to do it, however, I have to reset my liver by taking a variety of enzymes and giving up everything except fruit, vegetables, eggs, and certain kinds of fish for a minimum of two weeks.

It was like Christmas morning for Ali.And I am a disappointment to my techie husband because I am incapable of taking a good photo. I blame my iPhone for this!

I know it’s just two weeks and I know that I should be grateful that my eczema will be a distant memory soon (fingers crossed) , but I saw this girl walking down the street eating french fries from Mickey D’s and I seriously felt this wave of jealousy that she can eat whatever she wants with no apparent repercussions. I mean, I’m a relatively good person – why did I get a crappy liver?

Yes, apparently I now have liver envy. And I’m simply too hungry to care about how sad that is.

1. June 23, 2011 12:14 am

THREE ipads? That puts my parents to shame who I thought it was excessive to have two, two macbooks pros, and an imac between them.
    Best of luck with the liver re-setting…we all have our annoying little issues- I’m sure the girl munching on her Mickey D’s fries has something else…like foot fungus issues or something?

• June 23, 2011 6:41 pm

We had my iPad and then he brought home an iPad 2, forgot about it, and brought home another iPad 2! But one of these will be leaving us. Hopefully soon.

2. June 23, 2011 2:42 am

I’m sorry. My youngest has skin issues as well, rashes, eczema, and just funk. I never really considered her diet. It drives me crazy, like right now I need to make another Doctor’s appointment for her because the skin on her legs is getting so bad. *sigh*

I hope this new guy helps you out.

• June 23, 2011 7:40 pm

I feel sorry for your little one… at least my problems started in my 30’s. To deal with this for my whole life would be totally unacceptable!

3. June 23, 2011 3:40 am

Sorry, Ameena.
    😦

4. June 23, 2011 3:46 am

I’m sorry you couldn’t find anything to work yet…I’d rather scratch though than eat so restricted 😦

But good luck…and, uh, if your looking to get rid of ONE Ipad – please send my way! 😉

• June 23, 2011 7:41 pm

You’d think I could just scratch and move on and eat when I want, right? But it’s so much worse than that. 😦

5. June 23, 2011 3:46 am

Aw bummer! I’m so sorry about the skin and liver issues. 😦 That diet sounds like a nice cleanse though! just think of it that way! you will be so healthy and better in the long run than the girl pounding fries. (but you are totally allowed to be jealous!)

• June 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Thank you Daisy. I wish I was pounding fries with you in Boston!

6. June 23, 2011 4:19 am

AWWWW!!! I know how you feel. Even I was asked to diet (which I didn’t) and made to drink some horrible concoctions (which I did) for my acne. I feel that there is no better torture than dieting. I wish you all the very best Ameena 🙂

7. June 23, 2011 4:26 am

Ugh… that sounds miserable. Any kind of diet like that where I restrict things is inevitably going to lead to failure. Because I have no discipline. However, I’m sure you’ll do great- you’ve got a whole family to help you get through (may I suggest making them do the cleanse with you? it’s still going to suck, but at least you’d get a good smirk or two out of it…he he he).

• June 23, 2011 6:44 pm

My selfish family had pasta tonight. There is no way they are going to do a cleanse of any kind!

8. June 23, 2011 4:40 am

Acupuncture didn’t work for my back issues. Damn this bacon is tasty…want some? Oh wait…I’ll pass you this can o tuna fish. Sorry that was really mean.

• June 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Luckily I don’t eat bacon so no, it wasn’t really that mean after all!

9. June 23, 2011 4:54 am

aww…but its better to be safe than sorry right??? Get well soon:)

10. June 23, 2011 5:00 am

I’ve had really bad eczema this winter too! I’ve been to numerous doctors and I can’t figure out what causes it! I’ve never had it before in my life, until i moved to DC. So DC is to blame. I must be allergic to something. But last week I finally got an ointment from a dermotologist that is bringing my skin back to normal. It doesnt cure it, but at least it makes my hands look normal again! Good luck with yours, I can totally relate!!

• June 23, 2011 6:46 pm

My eczema didn’t bother me AT ALL when I visited DC last year. I think the humidity makes it so much better but in LA we don’t have humidity at all!

11. June 23, 2011 5:24 am

Oww… sorry Ameena. Hope it works out for you fast so you could eat whatever you want. Feel better soon!

12. June 23, 2011 5:31 am

Good luck on such a limited diet the next two weeks. Hopefully your body [or liver, anyway] will be able to reset itself so you and your acupuncturist can get to the bottom of what’s causing your eczema.

I hate stuff like that – it can be so frustrating when no one can find a solution.

13. June 23, 2011 6:03 am

Oh wow, that’s a rough diet… but two weeks is doable! And hopefully well worth it in the end. Hope it works.

14. June 23, 2011 6:11 am

That diet plan sounds rough but the upshot is it is only 2 weeks and those fries will taste amazing after not being able to have them. When you are feeling confined by the diet picture yourself with buttery skin and maybe that will help. I hear ya on the acupuncture. I have been going a few months now for my back and I always walk out feeling better but that only seems to last a day or two and lately I am getting almost pissy about having all those needles stuck in me when I go in. I am not a pincushion!

• June 23, 2011 6:48 pm

The needles themselves didn’t bother me at all….it was the pain of paying the dr’s bill that sent me into the worst mood!

15. June 23, 2011 6:21 am

Aw sorry to hear that 😦 It is sucks not be able to enjoy certain yummy food because of how your body reacts to it. On the bright side, it’s a good thing your body react to the bad stuff now than later. Otherwise the affect could be worse. Take care!

16. June 23, 2011 6:56 am

Yeah but that chick at Mickey D’s probably has a slew of other issues you just don’t see.

Hope this turns out well for you!

17. June 23, 2011 7:45 am

Have you ever tried a product called bio-freeze? It may help with the itching. My mom had horrible burns (long story). She had a skin graft and for years her skin was super itchy in that area. Bio freeze really helped the itchy feeling.
    As for the girl eating McDonalds, remember, she is probably jealous of you and your model thin body daaahling. So smile, maker HER feel bad.

• June 23, 2011 6:50 pm

I have not heard of Bio-Freeze but I am going to be googling it right after I finish writing this! Thank you HH. You always make me feel like a million bucks.

18. June 23, 2011 7:48 am

Ack I’m sorry :(. Dealing with eczema is the worst. I used to get horrible rashes on my legs that would itch like crazy. To this day, I still have no idea what caused them… all I know is that when I cleaned up my diet and started eating more fresh/whole foods, the rashes went away. I hope this detox helps!

• June 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank you for giving me hope that this detox will solve my problem Amanda!

19. June 23, 2011 8:11 am

My only concern with the liver cleanse, which is a perfectly legit procedure, is whether you really eat the amount of crud that would cause a build-up of waste that the cleanse would eliminate. From what you’ve said, you already eat like a bird and watch your diet closely, no? Before you spend oodles of money on this guy, it might be helpful for you to visit your own doc, have a blood test done and have him/her check out your liver’s function too. Does that make any sense?

I’m also surprised you’re allowed eggs since they’re one of the things that cause eczema flare-ups, along with fish, milk, soy and wheat. Who is this guy?

Anyhow, regarding Ali, boys will be boys and they love their toys. At least he’s home playing with the electronics.

• June 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I had all the blood tests in the world done and nobody could find anything unusual with the results. Not my regular doctor, not a variety of dermatologists, etc. etc. Yes, it is odd that he allows eggs but since I don’t eat meat or chicken I really have to eat them otherwise I will literally starve! I’m not going to question him on that point. 🙂

20. June 23, 2011 8:24 am

I cant eat those crappy delicious fries without turning into a greasy gross mess with cah-razy tummy issues… so you’re not alone love.

think of the next two weeks as a mini detox and cleanse =) and that its sooo hot right now! so you’re just following trend and not being bullied into excluding foods. yeah. thats it! =) love you and good luck!

21. June 23, 2011 8:24 am

put guac on EVERYTHING!

• June 23, 2011 6:58 pm

How funny you say that because I went to Chipotle and bought a side of guacamole and I ate the entire thing. On it’s own. Is that gross??

• June 24, 2011 9:47 am

Oh no, not gross at all 😀 . Guac is so yummy. I even eat plain avocados cause I’m too lazy to make it into guac

22. June 23, 2011 8:53 am

Well now I have a sick pit in my stomach. For your happiness and sanity I hope that this next guy is a miracle worker.

23. June 23, 2011 8:54 am

I’m sorry the acupuncturist didn’t help, Ameena 😦 I know you told me you’ve seen an allergist before and that they pronounced you sensitive but not allergic … so I assume they’ve suggested an elimination diet and slow reintroduction of possible allergens. I’m a little skeptical of this guy, though – eggs and fish? Hmm. If it’s liver detox he’s after, that’s odd because the liver detoxifies itself. In any case, it can’t hurt to try something new – as long as you’re getting enough to eat, Ameena! And I’d be curious to know what enzymes you’re supposed to be taking – pancreatic enzymes for digestion (which is not related to allergies)? If you’re worried about your liver, I would consider getting liver function tests done with a physician – but, it’s entirely up to you, of course 🙂

After that long and rambling comment – have a lovely rest of your week, Ameena! 🙂

• June 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Jessie – Thank you for all of your concerns! I had a bunch of tests done and no doctor has found anything wrong with my liver thus far. But the enzymes are supposed to help me with candida, etc. if I understand correctly. Frankly, I’m just doing what he says because I am so desperate! If he tells me to stand on my head for 8 hours I’ll find a way to make it happen!! And yes, I am far too dramatic!

24. June 23, 2011 8:58 am

Sorry to hear that you’ve been unsuccessful with your acupuncturists. Hopefully this works and the next two weeks will go by quickly. You should treat yourself to a large fry when it’s all over!

25. June 23, 2011 9:10 am

In other news, this pre starving deal will give you a leg up on the rest of us for Ramadan and you will have perfect skin for eid.

• June 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I’m trying to figure out if Ramadan is harder or if this is harder. So far, it’s a miserable tie!

26. June 23, 2011 9:19 am

Sorry the acupuncture didn’t work. I hope this new guy helps! Two weeks is a short amount of time if it helps your eczema. You can do it.

Ugh, and I know what you mean about envy. I have major blood vessel envy.

27. June 23, 2011 9:43 am

liver envy?? lol dont worry . hope everything turn out fine!

btw which do you think is better the ipad 2 or google chrome?

• Ali permalink
      June 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Here is something I can comment on! The chrome book is purely a browser. You open it and can do nothing else but use the Internet. No calendar, no notepad, no pictures stored – everything has to be done online. And I found it heavier than my laptop (mine is quite light as far as laptops go). So it didn’t work for me. But if your entire access and info you use is online, I still don’t know if I want something that has nothing running on it… What about in a plane (without wifi)… Or elsewhere, then it is rendered useless.

So iPad or really, any other tablet like samsung or the new hp touchpad would probably be a better route.

28. June 23, 2011 9:45 am

I am so very sorry!!! I hope everything works out. My 2 smallest have had eczema – my smallest out grew it, but my son still has it – it’s the devil. He loves to swim, but apparently chlorine has a very bad effect on him….and so does the heat – does that stuff bother yours as well??? I also found out that asthma runs along with it….my son had his first attack last year – LOVELY!! I was told by the doc, if he didn’t out grow it by the time he was for, he would probably have it for life. I hate it for the poor fella. SO at any rate, I am so very sorry you have to go through it…..I know what it does, it’s not nice at ALL!!! hope you feel better soon!!!! the doctor explained to me, it can actually feel like bee stings……I don’t think I would wish that stuff on anyone…….~hugs~

• June 23, 2011 7:05 pm

I haven’t swam in so long because the chlorine really does make the eczema worse. And so does the heat! But so does the cold. I feel sorry for your son…I mean at least I was in my 30’s before I had this problem! Poor kid, I hope he grows out of it.

• June 24, 2011 8:27 am

thank you so much – hope you get better as well 🙂

29. June 23, 2011 10:07 am

I understand this liver envy since I now look and feel like a fat penguin and am envious of people that can walk without waddling. Fingers crossed the skin issues work out soon!

• June 23, 2011 7:06 pm

I am sure you aren’t waddling and you aren’t fat my friend. You probably look as amazing as you always do!

30. June 23, 2011 10:29 am

If this acupuncturist doesn’t come through I will hold him down and you can stick needles in ungodly places.

31. June 23, 2011 11:20 am

Hang in there!

32. June 23, 2011 11:30 am

hahaha liver envy. You never fail to crack me up… ever.

2 weeks will fly by if you borrow Ali’s new ipad and Google chromebook 😉

33. Galit Breen permalink
    June 23, 2011 11:43 am

Oh you poor thing! I hope that your skin clears, you get to eat, and your sarcasm comes right back! XO

• June 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Thank you Galit! I think Ali wouldn’t mind if my sarcasm didn’t come back. 🙂

34. Rob permalink
    June 23, 2011 11:47 am

this is so funny. liver envy?? never knew there was such a thing.
    Yes exzema is a horrid thing but there are much worth conditions out there. hope this guy knows what he’s talking about and that you haven’t missed out on your fries for no reason 🙂 x
    ps avoid dairy if he hasnt already said so

• June 23, 2011 7:28 pm

I try to console myself that there are many other people in the world with far worse ailments but honestly? It isn’t making me feel better at the moment. And yes, he told me to avoid all dairy – thank you for the tip!

35. June 23, 2011 12:19 pm

I second Amy’s suggestion to have your family go through it with you! (Evil chuckle!).

Sorry about the liver issue. Two weeks is a long time to be so disciplined. My vegan experiment only lasted 3 days so I feel your pain. But hopefully this person knows what he is doing and the eczema will be a thing of the past. Good luck!

• June 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Ha! They won’t give up their carbs, no matter what I say or do!

36. June 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Acupuncture scares the heck out of me!! Oohhh! I hope it gets better and this starvation diet will be worth it. Hang in there! My mom has Excema although she hasn’t had a major outbreak of it in a while. It sounds just awful. I can’t help but wonder why your hubby or anyone for that matter needs 3 i pads????

• June 23, 2011 7:29 pm

He doesn’t need all 3 so at least one will be going back!

37. June 23, 2011 12:54 pm

reset your liver? interesting. i’m sure that mine needs resetting after the past few weekends…but that’s neither here nor there. hopefully this mystery man will work out!

• June 23, 2011 7:29 pm

If this guy works out for me maybe I can send his info your way so you can detox too. 🙂

38. June 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Don’t worry it seems like I have small intestine envy. 🙂

PS can I say that Ali looks like he doesn’t even know you exist at that point. Love it!

39. June 23, 2011 3:32 pm

I suspect that if you told her you have three iPads she’d be jealous too. And what is a Google Chromebook?

• June 23, 2011 7:33 pm

It looks like a laptop but it only has Internet access. Per Google’s website: Chromebooks are built and optimized for the web, where you already spend most of your computing time. So you get a faster, simpler and more secure experience without all the headaches of ordinary computers.

40. June 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Ugh, that sounds pretty brutal. I hope that you do see/feel results soon! Also, I liked someone’s idea of making your family experience the diet WITH you. Is that cruel and unusual punishment for Maya?

• June 23, 2011 7:35 pm

But then I’d have to hear her whining about how hungry she is. And that would be cruel and unusual punishment for ME!

41. June 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I often experience metabolism envy. It’s just not fair.

• June 23, 2011 7:36 pm

The irony of my situation is that metabolism is working fantastically!

42. Erika permalink
    June 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I hope your diet restrictions help your eczema.(it sounds miserable.)So what did Ali by you? any new tech gift? or jewelry or hey just take the wallet…And is that a chandalier or something else you have aming at your husbands head in the picture?….hmmm I only took note because it fits style of your blog..

43. June 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Sorry you are having some eczema problems!! I hope you find the problem’s solution 😦

44. June 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Well that sucks! You like eggs though right? So at least there’s that.
    It better work, it seems like you have to put in an awful lot of effort.

• June 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Luckily I do like eggs again. It was touch and go for a while but I made peace with them again!

45. June 23, 2011 8:01 pm

I tried a low carb high protein diet once, during a time I didn’t eat meat. I think I elbowed a toddler for an animal cracker on the ground at a playground and nabbed by big toe kicking a thrown away wonderbread crust under the table…

but at least you can look at pictures of carbs on your new IPAD

• June 25, 2011 8:12 am

My mom and I agree that this is the funniest thing we’ve read in a long, long time.

46. mommyofamonster permalink
    June 23, 2011 8:03 pm

THREE iPads? You want to sell one (or better ? I guess…does Ali?) because this girl could use one! Tell Ali to hook me up!

Also…as for the itching…I can empathize completely. I was itchy when I was preggo with the twins, and I’m 100% sure that it is worse than morning sickness even. It just doesn’t stop and you can’t do anything for it! Hope you find something soon, my friend!

47. June 23, 2011 8:37 pm

OK, first, how do you forget you already have an iPad2?

My mom had to do something like this liver thing too. For some other issue but it really worked 🙂 So hope it is successful for you as well.

• June 25, 2011 8:13 am

Thank you for giving me hope Stephanie!! As I enter day 5 of detoxing I really needed someone to tell me it’s worth it. 🙂

48. June 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I have another acupuncture appointment tomorrow. Honestly, I don’t think it’s working for me, but a stupid part of me keeps telling myself maybe just one more try. Plus, I’m one of those types who don’t know how to say no to people. This is the second acupuncturist I’ve tried who doesn’t seem to be helping. Although my shoulder seems to be getting better, but no affect on the back. Now I just have to learn how to say no more appointments. Sigh. Hope the new treatment goes well for you, Ameena. Best of luck with that.

• June 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Oh and I don’t think it’s your picture taking skills. The iPhone sucks at taking pictures. It’s like you need to hold as perfectly still as possible, almost statue like even.

• June 25, 2011 8:14 am

I kept saying the same thing…just one more appointment. Just one more!! And then I finally threw in the towel. 😦

49. June 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Just this one time I will say this. Ali is the man. Some of us can’t even afford one iPad…y does he have 3?

• June 24, 2011 8:37 am

He only has 3 temporarily because he forgot he already brought the iPad 2 home! His technology overwhelms him sometimes. 🙂

50. June 24, 2011 9:22 am

Please don’t feel jealous of the fries munching girl. Rest assured she’ll earn her own fair share of skin problems pretty soon. Just in case you are left with some fortune to waste following a lousy much aspired treatment, I may take the liberty to introduce you to a great upcoming dermatologist …yes…my (much) better half 😉

51. June 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Acupuncture didn’t work for my issues either. I gave it a fair shot because hey, why not? But nada.

Take comfort in the fact that you’re still trying to solve things! So many people just give up and accept their health problems. And hit up the drive thru ; )

• June 25, 2011 8:17 am

I’m sorry the acupuncture didn’t work for you either…it appears this is more common than I thought?

52. Janelle permalink
    June 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I feel like food takes over our lives – planning it, preparing it, feeding it to small mouths…I often think that perhaps being on a restrictive diet, at least for a short time, could be somewhat liberating! Less to think about and plan, fewer options…I hope it works for you!

• June 25, 2011 8:18 am

You have a point Janelle…I definitely don’t look forward to meal times when I know my selection is so limiting. So it is definitely a bit freeing in that sense. But on the other hand…I just want a piece of bread! And butter.

53. June 24, 2011 6:02 pm

My fingers are crossed for you! And anyways, those french fries are nasty… 😉

54. June 24, 2011 7:51 pm

I hope this skin treatment works out for you. I would highly recommend homeopathic treatment from a good practitioner for skin issues. Eczema treatment is a piece of cake for homeopaths.

You have quite the tech loving husband, Ameena 🙂

55. June 25, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It’s so great to get to meet you, in Internet Land.

56. June 25, 2011 10:50 am

How interesting the connection between eczema and eating. My niece has been suffering her whole life. I will mention this. I’ve always heard such good things about acupuncture. And just yesterday a friend was talking about resetting her liver. Apparently she was creating enough stomach acid to absorb properly the nutrients from her food. It all makes me realize how little I know about the human body.

57. June 25, 2011 1:24 pm

See how the 2 weeks works (easy for me to say) and then there’s someone I’d love to put you in touch with. I have cut out wheat and most dairy as I was having reactions on my eyelids (painful, itchy). When and if you see an improvement makes cutting certain things out not as punitive. Additionally, you may notice after a few days of food envy that you feel really well in other ways. You know what angle I come to things with so I am biased.

58. June 25, 2011 4:53 pm

*hugs*

59. June 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Liver envy, classic! I suffer from psoriasis and I’ve yet to find anything that works for more than a few weeks. I haven’t resorted to major diet changes. Maybe I need to.

60. June 27, 2011 5:23 am

Acupuncture never works on me for anything ailments. Scratching will not stop me from eating my favorite food. I get hives when I eat prawns but I still eat them and eat anti histamine when my whole face get swollen. I might die one day because of that but then even if I don’t eat prawns, something else will kill me. Three years ago I got a brain haemorrhage and it was the time when I eat careful and lead a healthy life going to the gym and work out 3 times a week. Go figure!!

• June 27, 2011 1:02 pm

A brain hemmorrhage! How terrifying that must have been. I’m glad you made a full recovery! And I’d be happy to give up anything forever if only someone tell’s me what I need to give up!

61. June 28, 2011 12:38 am

When I played my mom’s nutritionist, I had to read all about her liver issues and what food she can and can’t have. To add to that, she also needed to be low potassium diet. It was challenging to feed her everyday. I hope your superman doctor can help with your liver soon.

I ate something (probably one of the shellfish) during the last day on our honeymoon trip and I am having allergic reaction including eczema. I am stratching like crazy too, waiting for the allergy meds to kick in so I can go to sleep and stop itching my legs and arms 😦

So the eczema you are having is due to liver issues?

• June 28, 2011 7:36 am

“Superman” tells me that eczema is a result of an internal problem and mine as to do with my liver in particular. He also said that shellfish can make eczema so much worse so I am avoiding that as well. I hope you feel better soon! And welcome back!

62. magicofspice permalink
    June 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Boy, I just want one IPad…
    What an interesting diet for a skin allergy…hope it works for you and that you are feeling better soon 🙂

63. Leslie permalink
    June 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Honey, I’ve never noticed any eczema. I do hope the new guy works out. If not, I hope you’ll go to my dermatologist. She’s a miracle worker.

Go LIVER Go!

D-E-T-O-X, D-E-T-O-X-, D-E-T-O-X!

Right frakkin’ now!

(Yes, that’s a Battlestar Galactica Reimagined reference. Since NBC used it in prime time on a sitcom, I figured I could get away with it.)

64. June 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Fact of life: French Fries ALWAYS take precedent over technology. It’s the Natural Order of things.

Lady, for your sanity, I SO hope that this two week plan doesn’t last longer than two weeks (horror) and that it works!

65. July 5, 2011 10:03 am

Ameena, TRY SEABUCKTHORN Oil! It has worked really well for my clients with Eczema! The next time Ali brings home another Ipad, threaten him that you will use it as a giveaway!!
    XOXO
    Barbara

66. August 29, 2014 7:40 pm

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure
    whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty.

You are amazing! Thanks!