bonjour paris

April 11, 2011

I spent the weekend tracking down the following:

For Ali: a 10-pack of undershirts, 12 pairs of socks, and a travel-sized everything – from Scope to shaving gel to 2 tubes of Crest Complete.

For Maya:  an endless supply of travel-sized carbs, a new (presentable) wardrobe, a DVD-player and matching earphones, and several non-TSA-approved Ziplocks to catch the inevitable vomit that will result from motion sickness and/or too many carbs.

And seeing as I’m about to face a 10-hour journey to London/Paris and 11 nights in close quarters with the two messiest people on the planet, I tracked down my acupuncturist to get a little something for myself.

“I’m getting on a long flight tomorrow and my kid won’t stop asking me questions like ‘Do leprechauns know how to spell?’ Can you stick an extra pin in me to help me out in the patience department?”

“Yes, yes, yes,” he nodded. “Of course I can.”

8 needles (including one especially painful one in my right ear) and 45 minutes later my patience level hasn’t increased one iota. So either Dr. Lu is the best salesman in the world or one must be patient when it comes to seeing results from acupuncture.

Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

1. April 11, 2011 12:14 am

Have a ton of fun! Maybe figure out a way to temporarily ‘lose’ Maya and Ali so you can relax at some point and take in the city on your own? 😉

2. April 11, 2011 1:26 am

Even with all that’s going on, the destination will be great. Enjoy.

3. April 11, 2011 1:51 am

So on ‘pins and needles’ to subside that travel anxiety while Chinese continue to make bugs all the way!

Safe journey and have craziest of fun ‘with the two messiest people on the planet’.

Easily, one of the BEST blogs I’ve stumbled upon.

GREAT work. Keep it up 🙂

4. April 11, 2011 2:34 am

Have a great trip. London and Paris are fantastic with kids (even in small spaces). If acupuncture made you patient, I’d do it every day. I do think of you/your blog when my kids annoy me and I don’t feel as bad about it. Not sure that’s the purpose of your blog but I feel liberated.

5. April 11, 2011 3:02 am

My daughter’s name is Maya too 🙂 Have plenty of fun. I can’t wait to see pictures.

6. April 11, 2011 3:03 am

Have a great time in Paris! And good luck on the long flight- maybe the effects will kick in mid-flight? If not, there’s always wine…

7. April 11, 2011 3:06 am

EEEEE! Ok, you have to tell me when you get in! We need to meet up!

8. April 11, 2011 3:11 am

This post is so funny! I laughed about her questions that she will ask on the plane 🙂
    TOO CUTE ! I hope the trip goes well 🙂

9. eva626 permalink
    April 11, 2011 3:12 am

Haha great post! Enoy your… Vacation??

10. April 11, 2011 3:14 am

have the best time! I went to London and Paris a few years ago – such an amazing trip!

11. April 11, 2011 3:37 am

she is so cute!!! have fun in Paris!

12. April 11, 2011 3:58 am

You guys are such the jetsetters. Skiing now Paris?! #iwantyourlife

13. April 11, 2011 4:30 am

LOL! Have fun! Maybe a little European retail therapy will help you regain your patience!

14. April 11, 2011 4:44 am

Daaaaahlingh, wishing you a safe and uneventful flight, no barf bags included. You’ve got to invest in Bose noise cancelling headphones. They are great for flights and when you want to lower the volume on the world around you… and yes, i’ve used it on Mr P. I wish it totally silenced everything, but it just makes things a lot quieter. When they invent those I’ll be first on line.
    Dont worry, you r going to have a marvellous time in London, and Paris? Awesome :D. They’ve definitely got some gluten rich treats worth getting sick over LOL. I’ll tell you all about my favorties.
    Hope you packed some fat pants!!!
    p.s. Love maya’s travel outfit, so cute! Totally a diva in the making, are those little Tory Burch flats she’s wearing?

• April 11, 2011 7:45 am

I have my fat pants packed! And the BOSE headphones (stolen from Ali). And Maya’s and my Tory Burch shoes. What else could we need???

15. April 11, 2011 4:45 am

Have a great trip, Ameena! Maybe you’ll need to find an acupuncturist in Paris to give you the patience and calm you need. Sounds like you’ll need it!

16. April 11, 2011 4:53 am

Ha, have fun!! Can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures!

17. April 11, 2011 5:19 am

Firstly, I’m so jealous of you guys going to PARIS! I was there for 7 days on my honeymoon and it was amazing. Eat at Le Paradis du Fruits, it’s amazing for smoothies and fresh dishes.

Secondly, is Mayab wearing Tory Burch’s?

• April 11, 2011 7:44 am

Thank you for the recommendation! And yes, I am slightly embarassed to admit that Maya is wearing Tory Burch shoes…

18. April 11, 2011 5:53 am

SO JEALOUS! i went to paris when i was in high school and i’m dying to go back. adopt me? please? or replace ali with me. i promise i’m not as needy 😉

19. April 11, 2011 5:56 am

I am so jealous of all your travels!! I’m also jealous of Maya’s Tory Burch flats. lucky kid.

20. April 11, 2011 6:26 am

Next time have him stick a valium in your ear and a few in your purse. Either that or maybe a few needles to stick in someone else’s ear, which you’d only use when certain personages were excessively annoying, because there’s no call to stab anyone unless it was really necessary…or helpful.

21. April 11, 2011 6:32 am

I have nothing to say except that I’ve flown to London almost every year in my life x3 and in economy class and somehow, I’m still somewhat functioning. Oh, and that you shouldn’t talk about carbs like that, they help ease motion sickness and should be cherished.

22. April 11, 2011 6:34 am

I hope you were able to pick up everything in one place! I’m picturing your running around Target with a shopping cart. I guess they don’t have acupuncturists at Target, but the world is still young…

Safe travels! I hope you have an eye mask and ear plugs for the plane!

23. April 11, 2011 6:47 am

I’m so jealous that you guys get to go to London. I’ve never been and am dying to go. Don’t forget to take lotsa pics so I can live life vicariously through your fun travels again. Have a great time and a safe trip. Love Maya’s cute outfit! Take care, dear!

• April 13, 2011 8:58 pm

OK. It’s official, amnesia has set in. I so thought I’d wished you a great trip Ameena, but apparently I didn’t. So, happy flight, hope your trip to the home of fine food is super dooper wonderful…., can’t wait to hear all about it.

24. April 11, 2011 6:53 am

I heart acupuncture – so relaxing! Have fun in Paris!!

25. April 11, 2011 6:57 am

If you survive the plane ride, you’ll have a blast! Paris is so beautiful in the spring. I’m definitely jealous!

26. April 11, 2011 7:09 am

Hmm, I wonder if I can self-acupuncture to release stress?

27. April 11, 2011 7:14 am

Sticking pins in OTHER people is great stress relief! Errr, so I hear…

28. April 11, 2011 7:30 am

Have fun in London/Paris! Europe is one of my most wanted place to travel. I’ve never had acupuncture before…did you actually feel hurt????

• April 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Normally I don’t really feel any pain from the needles but that particular one really hurt! Not sure why?

29. actorsdiet permalink
    April 11, 2011 7:35 am

sqqqqqqqueal! paris!!!! have fun. jealous beyond belief.

30. April 11, 2011 7:46 am

Looks like Maya is totally prepared to have fun.

Hve a great trip.

I hope your patience is not put to test or shall I say hopefully the pain from that extra needle was worth.

31. April 11, 2011 7:58 am

paris! have fun. i envy you, except for the whole being trapped with the messiest people on the planet.

maya has some serious style going on.

32. April 11, 2011 8:03 am

I hear the shopping in Paris cures most problems, so just head for the nearest Chanel store and things will magically be right again 🙂

33. April 11, 2011 8:30 am

You’re going to Paris?!? I hope you take lots of fabulous pictures so I can at least enjoy them while sitting at my desk. Oh, and you have to eat lots of desserts for the sake of our friendship (or bring back some macarons from Laduree and mail them to me) 🙂

34. April 11, 2011 8:34 am

Have Fun!!!!! Shop your heart out! ❤ and g/l with the motion sickness! I grew out of mine so I hope Maya does too!!!!! One time everyone on the plane offered up their little baggies to me. Oh man… it was a loooong flight! haha

MWAH!

35. April 11, 2011 10:21 am

Wow, she is a super hip traveler!! Have a great time…If a sweet tooth strikes, check out Christian Constant…Amazing:)

36. April 11, 2011 10:29 am

Hang in there and have a great trip.

Don’t worry about the little green people… I’ve been told if you stare at them they just go away. Maybe Maya will develop a staring habit {Alexa has!}

And, you know what always helps my patience… knowing that I’m going to be bringing home a wonderful Parisian purse or dress. Indulge! You deserve it!

37. April 11, 2011 10:44 am

those pants maya has are super cute! i love kid clothes.

everyone i know who has gotten acupuncture gives it mixed reviews. i think i want a massage every other day for my patience levels…

38. April 11, 2011 11:02 am

I wish you as much fun as my mother and I had! Though I must say I shopped for no one else but myself and didn’t have to deal with any barf. Hmm… I’ll be sending patient vibes your way.

Let me know if you happen to eat at any of the restaurants I reviewed during my recent trip. The vegan brownie is reason enough! A treat for you… bribe for Maya??

Fly safe!

39. April 11, 2011 11:06 am

Have a safe flight and vacation!
    I love Maya’s outfit and suitcase!!

40. April 11, 2011 11:08 am

Still, you’re going to have so much fun!!!

Oh, and I want Maya’s shoes. They’re adorable.

41. Piya Ganwani permalink
    April 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I’m loving Maya’s luggage!! And her tory burch shoes!!! What a little diva. Enjoy your trip. Lots of great food & shopping in London & Paris…am so jealous!

42. April 11, 2011 12:08 pm

So lucky you are going to Europe! I’ve never been but would love to. Have a safe and fun trip.

43. April 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Have fun in Paris! Everyone must have pain au chocolat and hot chocolate for breakfast. Trust me, it’ll make your day brighter. Can’t wait to hear about it. 🙂

44. April 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I loved Paris so much, I wish I could go back. I’ve never been to London, but would love to go…
    I hate flying though, especially those long flights. I’m so claustrophobic. And impatient. I can’t imagine what its like to travel with children…when I’m stuck on a plane with screaming babies I get beyond irritated. I guess I should stop finding things to complain about.
    In the spirit of being positive, Maya looks really cute in that outfit, and you never know, maybe she’ll get through the trip without getting sick. And also, you’re going to Paris and London- I’m jealous- try to enjoy it for me!

45. April 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Have a blast in London and Paris!! It’s so beautiful over there. I’m heading to London in late July, and I can’t wait.

And… I love Maya’s shoes. 🙂

46. April 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Yay for Paris and London! I love both of those cities!

47. April 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog! I will keep you posted about the Chia seeds:) B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L family! P.S. I am also in the L.A. area:)

48. April 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Paris is always fun, there’s always something new that you can learn about the beautiful city no matter how many times you visit it.
    I love Maya’s pink & green polka bag a lot..so cute 🙂 Have a enjoyable & safe trip!

49. April 11, 2011 4:01 pm

You guys are going to have a great time regardless.

I still find Ali’s need for all these travel sized bottles hilarious.

50. April 11, 2011 4:34 pm

I see the irony. I hope he gave you time released patience that will kick in when the plane takes off!

51. April 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Oh holy night, I hope at the very least, you and Maya will be sporting your matching Revas on the streets of Paris.

And please tell me that in the middle of your buying spree for Maya’s new (acceptable) wardrobe, you got yourself something nice!

Have such a lovely trip – I can’t wait to hear your stories!

52. April 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Oh wow! I hope that you can have a fabulous time!

53. April 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Just close your eyes and think, Paris (pronounced the francais way). Have fun and take pictures Ameena!

54. April 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Ahhh have so much fun! Please still post while your there – I need your humor 🙂

55. April 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Ameena, have a WONDERFUL time! Enjoy your gorgeous family, and make sure to allow yourself to have fun! You deserve it! Make this the time to enjoy your vacations and let the mess go. It’s a vacation! AKA Ameena pampering time! I figure that between all of Ali’s gadgets, and Maya’s dvds and headsets, they shouldn’t notice if you take off for a day of shopping/spa-ing! As much as I curse lack of family time and the perils of technology…. it does have it’s advantages in turning people into mindless zombies- and works to your advantage when you want to disappear for some alone time!
    Barbara
    XOXOXOXO

56. April 11, 2011 10:32 pm

have a wonderful time!!!

57. April 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh wait you going to Paris and you are whining? Just get those ear buds out and enjoy okay?! By the way every time I see Maya’s picture it grows on me how much she looks like you and she’s got the pose thing just like you. But I know how painful it can be when the interior of your child is like your better half. Not because I have a child but my imagination is good (or so I believe)

58. April 12, 2011 12:03 am

acupuncture looks painful :S …. eurotrip hmmmm

59. April 12, 2011 1:57 am

Hey, look on the bright side. At least you won’t run out of toothpaste…

60. April 12, 2011 2:45 am

WOW….have a great time Ameena 🙂 I am so behind on your blog, am off to read what I’ve missed .

61. April 12, 2011 5:56 am

How in the world do you plan on coping with being in the air for so long? I’m stressed to the max at an hour much less 10…holy moly. More power to ya!

62. April 12, 2011 6:00 am

Maybe you should have asked him for something less alternative and gone straight for the valium. If not for your use, you could always spike Maya’s juice with it!
    Have an awesome trip – and good luck traveling with your companions!

63. April 12, 2011 6:31 am

Maya looks like a world traveler already! Bon Voyage darling- have a wonderful time!

64. April 12, 2011 6:35 am

Loooook how travel savy Maya is!!!!!

LONDON????

So jealous. I was jealous at Tahoe but LONDON!!!!

Have a great trip. Patience comes when you least expect it (because if we lose it on a plane people look at us wierd)

hehe
    xoxoxox

65. April 12, 2011 8:43 am

enjoy this trip!! At the end of the day, enjoy a glass of alky so you can pass out!

66. April 12, 2011 8:44 am

Have an awesome trip! I can’t wait to see pictures.

67. April 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Love the irony! Totally describes my life. 😉 Also, I want to have a suitcase like Maya’s!

68. April 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Bon voyage mon amie!

69. April 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Have a great trip, Ameena! I hope Maya acts like the doll she is and Ali…well, hope he gets off his computer for a few minutes to enjoy the time with you! 🙂

70. April 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Have fun… try to upgrade with to first class and keep Maya and Ali in couch, how is that for extra sleep.

71. April 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Maya’s shoes look so sophisticated! I don’t even have shoes that nice.

Have fun in Europe! I am predicting that it will be a good vacation because, assuming you stay in a hotel, you WON’T HAVE TO CLEAN UP AFTER MAYA AND ALI!!!

72. April 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Safe travels, my friend! I hope you have a wonderful time. I love vacations, but I also hate them. The packing, the airplanes, the airports, the company (just kidding, I love you Ryan!) Thank you for sharing with me tonight, my sweet friend. I hope that you have a wonderful trip full of laughter, love and good food. As always, I’m leaving tonight feeling inspired by your creativity and kindness.

73. April 12, 2011 9:02 pm

When you are in Paris, find SPRING
    It has the most amazing food ever and is such a treat. Their boutique is amazing too (it’s by the Louvre)

74. April 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey at least you were “patient” for 45 minutes… 😉
    11 days in Paris! You lucky lady… Have a wonderful time and buy lots of croissants and crepes for me will you? 🙂

75. April 13, 2011 8:32 am

You are going to have such a great time in Paris!!! I miss my time there already. 🙂 Take tons of pictures.

76. April 13, 2011 8:51 am

Aarrhhh! I want to go to Paris. Take me please?? 😀

77. April 13, 2011 1:32 pm

oh you lucky lucky lady 🙂 Have tons of fun and click tons of pic and stay in touch babe 🙂

78. April 13, 2011 2:41 pm

I hope you guys are having a blast! Maya is such a well dressed young lady! Kudos to you Mom!

79. April 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Acupuncture really creeps me out… but then again, hot yoga did too and now I’m in love with it. Hope you’re having fun!!

80. Erika permalink
    April 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Ha ha , hope you have a fun time, and your little girl looks very hip, cute, fashionista now she can do the catwalks in Europe.

81. April 17, 2011 11:55 am

I did not realize that acupuncture can give one more patience. Now pardon me if you see walking around like Pinhead from Hellraiser…

82. April 18, 2011 3:49 am

No posts from Paris? Miss your humor.

83. April 18, 2011 8:50 am

Ha ha – love the Tory Burch Reva Kid flats! Adorbs.

84. April 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Oh how wonderful…Paris! Hope your having an amazing time…Take loads of photos 🙂

1. i didn’t know that « Fancy That…Fancy This