the second shoe

April 14, 2011

Things were going well. Too well.

Traffic to the airport was great, we boarded our flight to London with minimal delays, and after a glass of orange juice, Maya changed into her pajamas and fell asleep before we even took off!

Maya before...

I remained vigilant though…for fear that things could take a turn for the worse. That the second shoe would drop.

But 2 hours later Maya was still sleeping soundly and Ali – not having Internet access – was steadily eating his way through the 11 hour flight. Rocket salad with tandoori chicken at 11 pm anyone?

“Ameena, you are so dramatic,” I berated myself as I turned over to go to sleep. “Traveling with a child is a piece of cake!”

7 hours later I woke up well rested and to the sounds of flight attendants with charming British accents asking me what I wanted for breakfast. And to a 6-year-old who was a very scary shade of green.

Maya minutes before she threw up...everywhere.

So the moral of the story is…never let your guard down. And keep barf bags (note the plural) near you at all times. Oh, and the second shoe?

It always drops.

1. April 14, 2011 2:29 am

Oh Poor Maya! I have to agree with you on this one. It is never painless when traveling with children, the other shoe will drop.

I hope she felt better when the plane landed.
    We have been doing the stomach flu thing here with my 4 year old and it is not pretty.

Enjoy London!!!

2. April 14, 2011 3:05 am

Poor thing… I used to get car sick every time I entered a vehicle and was in it for over 30 minutes… I hope she has no issues on the way back!

3. April 14, 2011 3:49 am

I hope Maya feels better! That happened to me once on a flight to Florida when I was 5. I’m sure it was a blast for my mom.

• April 15, 2011 4:13 am

Can you remember that?! Or did you Mom tell you? I can’t remember anything under like…12 years old I don’t think 😉

Oh my goodness – did she really throw up? Poor girl – I’m sure Paris will make up for it!

Is this business or pleasure?! Oh wait, your with Ali – it’s always the two right? 🙂

Oh if only in my dreams to be in Paris (pronounced Par-ee of course)

4. April 14, 2011 4:09 am

Poor Maya 😦 Motion sickness is never fun. And poor you, as well. Because I’m sure cleaning up vomit isn’t too appealing either..

5. April 14, 2011 4:32 am

Awww, that stupid second shoe! I hope London is nice though 🙂
    I would totally eat my way through an 11 hour flight too 😉

6. April 14, 2011 5:39 am

oh maya, keep it together on the next flight will you.

(jokes jokes)

poor kid. throwing up is no fun.

7. April 14, 2011 5:50 am

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You poor thing! And poor Maya, of course. I used to get carsick when I was little. Don’t think that was too much fun for my mom!

8. April 14, 2011 5:50 am

Oh poor Maya and poor mom too. Nothing worse than a puking kid on a transatlantic flight. After travelling quite a bit with my kids I have decided that no matter how old they are a plastic bag and a change of clothes or at a minimum, shirt is always a good idea.

Enjoy London!

9. April 14, 2011 6:01 am

poor kid! vomiting is her THANG huh? haha…maybe it was orange juice she drink right before she went to sleep!

10. April 14, 2011 6:04 am

Y’all travel in style!! 😉 And poor Maya and poor Ameena…I can’t think of anything worse than being on a plane and having to deal with being sick. Hope you arrived safely!

11. April 14, 2011 6:24 am

I’m telling you, next time, call me. We’ll meet somewhere that sells shoes to be dropped at some point in the future and I’ll give you a valium for her ear.. or your ear.

12. April 14, 2011 6:50 am

Oh boy, I bet the other people around you just looovved that!

• April 16, 2011 5:10 am

yep, your doing a fine job of painting pictures of motherhood 😉 Doesn’t matter what way I twist it, in no dream of mine does travelling to Paris include that experience. This motherhood business sounds pretty intense girlfriend 🙂
      Have fun in Paris 🙂

13. April 14, 2011 6:57 am

I think I’m going to do something crazy here and relate to your husband (who always reminds me of my own so no offense!) I eat my way through everything…vacation or not haha

And of course, I hope sweet Maya feels better..and that you get the R&R you deserve 🙂

14. April 14, 2011 7:08 am

OH NO! Poor Maya and poor you 😦 I feel for you hun, I really do. Traveling with kids is a nightmare. You always think you’re prepared for the worst, then you let your guard down for a few minutes and that’s when the nightmare begins. Partly why I dread flying anywhere that’s more than 2 hrs with my kids.
    I really hope Maya is feeling much better now. Big hugs to her and you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

15. April 14, 2011 7:22 am

OMG, how awful. Poor thing. And that must’ve been kinda embarassing for you! Not to mention smelly for everyone. Hopefully she felt better after and can get on with enjoying the trip. You must be in business class or first class by the looks of it. My dream!! Heck, I don’t want to but i’ll fly coach and suffer all the way there if I ever get the chance to go to Europe. Enjoy your trip!! Can’t wait to see some pics.

16. April 14, 2011 7:30 am

you could write a whole book just on maya’s barfing

17. April 14, 2011 7:36 am

Oh no! Poor Maya!

I cant imagine what it would be like to travel with kids. Its hard enough travelling with a man. Theyre difficult on their own. Add a child to the mix, oh man. I think I’d just start drinking heavily.

18. April 14, 2011 7:39 am

Hope Maya gets better to enjoy the trip! Being sick is never fun, even if you get to miss school 😦

Have as much fun as possible!

19. April 14, 2011 8:08 am

Oh man. That sucks. I’ve been sick on a plane before. I never want to repeat it. It sounds like she did good otherwise though and, hey, you got 7 hours of sleep on a plane. That is actually fairly impressive!

20. April 14, 2011 8:11 am

so i hope the stewardesses cleaned it up?! i mean they wouldnt hold you hostage on a plane just to clean your own childs vomit, right?

21. April 14, 2011 9:11 am

Poor Maya! At least it was the second leg of the journey. Hahaha, the chicken sounds good! Have a great time.

22. April 14, 2011 9:40 am

OMG that sucks for Maya…and you. I hope she is feeling better. At least you got some rest 🙂

23. April 14, 2011 9:41 am

Poor MOM! I’ve puked but never had to be the mom to have to take care of it on a plane.

But the best thing about kids? Soon, she’ll say “I AM HUNGRY!”

24. April 14, 2011 9:56 am

The foodie in me is curious- is she able to eat right after she throws up? Because I bet the food on that flight was awesome and I’d hate to have missed out. As the parent (and chief cleaner upper) you probably didn’t want to see food again for a while 🙂 Hope you guys have a fabulous time!

25. April 14, 2011 10:01 am

Oh no!!!
    At least you got some sleep, right???
    And unless there is something I don’t know, there are only 2 shoes, right? So the rest of the vacation shouldn’t be as dramatic. Right?
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

26. Leslie permalink
    April 14, 2011 10:13 am

Oh the poor sweetie! (And poor mama for having to clean up multiple bags.) I hope the flight attendants were dears to Maya and to you. Ali has a steel stomach imho.

27. April 14, 2011 10:52 am

Ohhhhhh noo 😦
    Throw up still makes me queasy. It’s the worst to clean up!

28. Piya Ganwani permalink
    April 14, 2011 11:00 am

awwww poor maya! my brother used to get very car sick & air sick, and always threw up! on the bright side, you slept for the most part & hello, you’re in london/paris!

29. April 14, 2011 11:02 am

AHhhhhh! I loveeee loveee the flight to London, the accents are soo charming. Puke? not so much!

30. April 14, 2011 12:01 pm

So jealous that you get to be in Paris with your family. I flew for 4 hours with a 2 yr old, a 2 month old, and no husband. Emry had her own aisle seat. I sat in the middle with my lap child (free) and a business man sat by the window. I am sure he rued the day he got on that plane.

31. April 14, 2011 12:11 pm

you know i am going to be leaving for India with 2 kids by myself. and I am shit scared.. Reminder to take the bags… most imp thing in the flight.

32. April 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Poor Maya, hope she is feeling better. At least she managed to get some sleep (you too of course!).

33. April 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Let’s look on the bright side. At least this happened after… your 7 hours of sleep. I’m not quite sure barf aroma aides in aviation slumber. 🙂

34. April 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Sigh. Reason #5,615 why I will never travel with the kids. But then again, never say never, right?

35. April 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Aww! Sorry about the mid-flight drama. Glad your flight arrived safely though!

Heeey, if you want to meet up, just send me a note!

36. April 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Soak in all the accent Ameena! I wish I was tiny enough to sneak into your carry on baggage. Poor Maya, she looks exhausted!

37. April 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Oh no 😦 Hope Maya felt better once you landed. Hope you have a great trip!!

38. April 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh no!! Does she usually get air sick? I hope she’s doing much better and it wasn’t food poisoning or something–that would probably make things even more crazy. Hope you are having fun!!

39. April 14, 2011 6:02 pm

i never got motion sickness until i became “old”. now i get sick on the swing set. i feel for her! hope maya’s feeling better

40. April 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Oh my Lord. I want to say at least she puked at the end instead of the beginning.

But that’s just insulting, really.

In the meantime, I’m going to work on perfecting your self-talk. And be thankful that homegirl still managed to keep her seat belt fastened.

41. April 14, 2011 7:27 pm

And if I’m not mistaken weren’t there designer shoes involved in all this? Ah well, spit happens. Hugs to Maya, you and internetless Ali.

42. April 14, 2011 8:04 pm

darn that second shoe!!
    Hope Maya is feeling better 🙂

43. April 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Ohhh no! 😦 I hope everything else is smooth sailing!

44. April 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh Mayaa that’s not fun at all…for anyone. Is that first class seating? At least you guys were in a position to be more comfortable? Hope the Dins can enjoy the rest of the trip<3

45. April 14, 2011 11:26 pm

I think christian louboutin in ukIn conclusion, here are some ideas to make positive you choose the right shoe fashion style: make certain your fashion is comfortable, take into consideration your physique functions and how your shoes may possibly accentuate them and make a statement with color. Ultimately, when in doubt wear black!

46. April 15, 2011 12:20 am

Oooh, Virgin club class looks nice and comfy. So much better than cattle class with the plebs LOL ;). At least Maya can barf in style!
    p.s. have you tried something like dramamine for Maya? It might help.

47. April 15, 2011 2:47 am

Can we go back to the rocket salad? what airline was that? At least it sounds as though Maya had something to change into, wow.

48. April 15, 2011 4:05 am

Ohh poor Maya. Poor you.urk.
    Hope London is great and thats the worst of the shoe dropping.

BTW that plane looks nothing like the cattleclass virgin blue I flew on to Bali .

I drank and ate my way to Bali for 6 and a half hours hehe by the time they put the ice in over the scotch theres not much room for the coke…………..

49. Anver Emon permalink
    April 15, 2011 4:08 am

did she vomit on Louis V? not the king, the purse. Sorry the plane ride turned into a vomitorium moment. No fun! But now that you’re in London, be sure to get a Will and Kate tea cup/saucer! it’s kitschy, but the Brits do it so well!

50. April 15, 2011 7:44 am

Aw poor Maya. Does she have a motion sickness? Btw is that a business class seat? Which airline is that? Looks comfy!

• April 17, 2011 8:36 am

We flew on Virgin Atlantic which I highly recommend!!

51. April 15, 2011 10:15 am

Omg – that used to happen to me as a child ALL the time!!

52. April 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Hey – at least on a flight, the women with the charming British accents are the ones who do the cleanup…right?
    Poor kid…poor mom…

53. April 15, 2011 2:50 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww =/ I was hoping this time would be different! sorry love!

54. April 16, 2011 5:45 am

I *always* used to get sick as a child when sitting in something that moved with me (except a rollercoaster, interestingly) – cars, planes, ships. After 20 minutes, the second shoe dropped.

I’m feeling with you! Never being able to relax for a second is the hardest thing of all. And poor Ali, you must’ve had two sick loved ones the next morning!

55. April 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Ahh puking on planes is not fun 😦 I remember my sister (who has an intense fear of throwing up) was ill and had to puke several times on a red-eye flight from Riyadh to Frankfurt and it was traumatizing for us all to say the least.

56. April 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Ah the barf bag, I know it well, having travelled with four children. I actually, for awhile after our flight, took to keeping one in my purse at all times. They are so handy with the velcro closure…you know, in case you ever wanted to to fasten the bag and carry the vomit around with you for awhile.

57. April 17, 2011 11:57 am

Like you I am forever waiting for the second shoe to drop. So let me ask you this: Did it feel relieved when it finally dropped? The suspense always killed me and I am just wondering…

Hey. Don’t throw that second shoe at me! I hope you are enjoying Paris and I HOPE you are shopping right now.

58. April 17, 2011 4:01 pm

See, but I’m still insanely jealous of your pods. I traveled to Italy and was obsessed with those! She didn’t have to ralph across the lap of two other people. Please inform her how lucky she is.

59. April 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Well at least everyone slept some!

60. April 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh my!! So sorry she had tummy troubles!!

61. April 17, 2011 10:39 pm

I am sure it is no fun for Maya to feel uncomfortable or neither for you to clean up her puke. Hope she will do better for the rest of the trip.

62. April 18, 2011 6:54 am

Hope Maya is feeling better. At least she wasn’t sick the entire time.

63. April 18, 2011 8:59 am

I used to be like Maya – I would always throw up on flights. Poor thing. I still hate flying.

64. April 18, 2011 1:29 pm

WAIT A SECOND. First class looks awesome. I just had to get that out. I hope to merit first class one day. I think I would deserve it. I feel that you and your family do, so nice!

As for Maya…poor thing! She’s just not helping you have a stress-free life, is she? So selfish. 😛

65. April 18, 2011 4:41 pm

maya is so cute 🙂 I thing i say that all the time ! As a kid I use to throw up all the time while traveling. And then came the time when I had to travel almost thrice a month for work 😀 got used to all the presure diff .. flight food … bla bla 😀 😀
    Have fun girls and keep the updates coming with some pics !!

66. April 18, 2011 6:33 pm

What? Travelling with children is the easiest thing in the world.

Obviously I kid. Thankfully neither of my kids gets motion sickness. And now we’ve travelled enough that they know the drill and are usually pretty well-behaved on flights. It doesn’t hurt that my son can be glued to video games for hours on end now that he’s a bit older (7) and my daughter can be distracted by whatever’s on the kids channel. Without electronics, though – yikes! It’d be tough.

67. April 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Poor Maya. I hope she feels better. Has she ever tried any herbal supplements or anything for her nausea? I know it is not fun for you or for her to be throwing up all the time…
    I used to get sick a lot and I was so afraid of it happening in public that I was afraid to even leave my house. It can be pretty debilitating. Hopefully it has passed and you are enjoying your trip!

68. April 21, 2011 5:25 pm

I am so, so sorry. I wish there was something that they could give her to help with the air sickness. Nothing works? Ginger ale even? Only had that happen once with Dudette. We were waiting in the aisle to get off and she said she didn’t feel good. I turned to the well dressed man next to her and said, “You may want to back up a bit.” He did just in time to avoid having his shoes puked on. C’est la vie.

69. April 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Poor Maya…I know it can be very tough traveling with kids and on such a long trip 😦

70. April 26, 2011 7:45 pm

You would have loved this kid behind me on my last flight. His parents kept asking him if he was sick for about half an hour. He kept saying ‘no’ and they kept saying ‘Are you sure? It’s OKAY if you are, honey.’ Finally, he ended up puking. I think they worked him up so much he thought he was supposed to be sick and freaked out!