what could be better than red soles? for a kid?

February 17, 2011

I’ve been looking high and low for something to give Maya for her birthday next month. This is annoying because I really just want to roam around the house and put unopened toys into a used Hello Kitty gift bag. But alas, the fallout from my confession about re-gifting is still reverberating, so I thought I’d make more of an effort this time.

So there I was, wracking my brain as I tried to figure out what to give a child who has everything… when I saw it – the special edition “Dolly Forever Barbie” by Christian Louboutin.

The.most.perfect.gift.ever. Right? I mean, what mother doesn’t want to gift her daughter with a doll that:

a. Wears bright pink thigh high boots with Louboutin’s red soles?

b. Costs $150?

c. Comes with shoe bags and hot pink sunglasses?

Because I want Maya to know that there is nothing unusual about sporting $1,500 pink, thigh-high boots. I also believe it is imperative that my daughter master how to wear a tiny mini skirt and a gold chain around her waist. And if a $150 doll can do all that? Then it’s definitely a must-have.

Kudos to you and your marketing team Mattel! You’ve presented us mothers with yet another inspiring and useful toy. I simply don’t know how you to do it.

PS – To those who plan to send me emails that I should “lighten up” please note this post is supposed to be funny.

PPS – To those of you who sent me birthday emails, tweets, and Facebook messages? Thank you! I appreciated every single one.

1. February 17, 2011 12:12 am

Haha! This is funny but I am also with you…ugh…and what?!

I’m sticking with Hello Kitty for now too. 🙂

Happy Birthday by the way, hope you had a wonderful one!

2. February 17, 2011 4:05 am

Those are QUITE the boots!!!

3. February 17, 2011 4:20 am

I’m honestly quite happy that I didn’t know who/what Louboutin was until college. Sad?

I really wish they’d bring Lisa Frank back…

4. February 17, 2011 5:15 am

How did I miss your birthday? I hope you celebrated in style. Maybe donned a pair of those thigh high ruffled boots and went out for a night on the town? 🙂 This doll is incredible. It just single-handedly made me really thankful (at least for the next minute or two until one comes down and burps in my face) that I have boys.

5. February 17, 2011 5:38 am

LOL…man, get ’em started early. Go ahead and get her a Chanel purse to tote that doll around in 😉

Ten bucks says Suri Cruise already has a pair of specially-made child Louboutins.

6. February 17, 2011 5:50 am

Bravo to you. This goes along with your fantastic post about the costumes for little girls at Halloween. I even read that one out loud to Hubby.

I’m lucky. Dudette wants nothing to do with the 3 Barbies she has and refuses to play with anything princess. Instead she handed out Spiderman and Scooby Doo Valentine cards. If she starts looking at boots like those at any point in her life, she’s headed to a convent. I swear she is.

7. February 17, 2011 6:10 am

Wow that is some Barbie. Makes me kind of want one, even though I have no idea what I’d do with it.

8. February 17, 2011 6:14 am

Ahh, yes, it seems I’m always in that predicament…what to buy the spoiled-only-child that has EVERYthing. It’s GOT to be easier shopping for a girl right?! But then again, there are only so many barbies just like there are only so many nerf guns I suppose.

What a cool looking barbie though. Did you end up getting it for her? If so, I say give it to her in one of those used gift bags and save a buck or two (hell, even $5 these days). I would…lol. I can’t tell you how many bags I’ve reused that I’ve received –gifts included lol. We are so much alike! Are you my long lost twin?!

• February 18, 2011 9:53 am

No way did I buy this for Maya! I can barely spend $150 on myself…nevermind my kid! 🙂

9. February 17, 2011 6:36 am

Agree with Amy, Lisa Frank was awesome. I remember getting Littlest Pet Shop and My Little Ponies for my birthday. Why is everything become so sexual? However, if that’s a shirt dress, it is kind of cute. 🙂

10. February 17, 2011 6:42 am

Haha, she looks like Street-Walker Barbie in that get up!

To the people who tell you to lighten up, they are the one’s that need to lighten up and get a sense of humor! Geesh!

Also, a happy belated birthday!

11. raana permalink
    February 17, 2011 6:48 am

I am just in love with this barbie and totally forgot what your post meant to be?At least this barbie doesn’t have any hair extensions,cosmetic surgeries,false eye lashes,anorexic problems or celebs bla bla….so its must have.
    One minute did you use some camera trick or she is actually so tall?

• February 18, 2011 1:50 pm

She’s actually not that tall…just the size of a regular Barbie. I will never learn to use a camera properly. It’s just not in the cards. 🙂

12. February 17, 2011 6:52 am

hahahhaa…. wow, that barbie is seriously sick ameena!! i always find myself horrified by barbie these days, but this is a whole new level of absurdity.

i have an idea of what you could get maya if she doesn’t have it yet. i read a children’s book yesterday to my students called “lotsa de casha” by (wait for it…) madonna! ok i was skeptical too but her books are actually great, especially this one. my students really liked it and had a somewhat deep conversation about it. they are 10, but it’s a picture book so will definitely be accessible for maya.

and happy birthday ameena!! i’m not sure how i missed it.. sometimes i read blogs in foggy haze. sorry about that. i hope it was lovely.

13. February 17, 2011 7:09 am

Now *that* is absurd!! And, in case I didn’t say it already – happy (belated) bday!!

14. February 17, 2011 7:22 am

Oh, I missed your birthday–I’m sooo behind! Happy belated!
    The Barbie thing. I could go on forever! I make Barbie clothes for my nieces because you can’t seem to buy them anymore without having to buy the $150 Barbie that goes with them. The outfits that are available out there are cheap and kind of trashy-looking. What happened to pretty princess dresses and kicky work wear? What is Mattel trying to turn today’s little girls into anyway?!
    Good luck on the gift hunt. I have the exact same problem with my boys. They don’t need another thing, and half of what they do have hasn’t even been opened or played with. At what age is it okay to just make a charitable donation in their name and call it a day?!

15. February 17, 2011 7:23 am

Take that $150 and get yourself a nice gift, Ameena. And find Maya a regular Barbie at Target, where she’ll never know the difference.

Also, I’m so behind on reading blogs that I missed your birthday. 😦 So Happy (belated) Birthday!!

16. February 17, 2011 7:42 am

Oh please don’t lighten up..you’re too funny this way 🙂

17. February 17, 2011 8:08 am

Did you end up buying that for her?
    Keep us posted on what you did and did maya like it ?

18. February 17, 2011 8:15 am

That is some doll!! $150. I think all of my barbies were about $20 bucks max!! Then, I’d cut their hair off.

19. February 17, 2011 8:38 am

I’d be curious as to who buys this stuff? Me, I’d be content with a box of Play-Doh for my birthday (now and at Maya’s age) 🙂

20. February 17, 2011 8:47 am

hahahaha awesome! 🙂

21. February 17, 2011 8:48 am

You should find a happy medium – Hello Kitty with thigh-high neon pink boots.

22. February 17, 2011 9:15 am

She can also learn how to make that snarky facial expression! She’ll need it when people start questioning if she’s playing the lead in a remake of Pretty Woman

23. February 17, 2011 9:59 am

Blech! This could only get better if it came with a matching outfit.

24. February 17, 2011 10:29 am

Her legs look like a sesame street character. thats all I have to say.

25. February 17, 2011 10:43 am

I’m just glad K hasn’t really discovered Barbie yet. We fast forward all the Barbie commercials and keep her away from all the more expensive toys section. She’s only allowed to look at “clearance” 😉 Hello Kitty will do just fine. I mean, what kid doesn’t love a cat with no mouth? Toy companies really know how to sell them, don’t they? On a more serious note, I’m so excited for you and Maya. Your baby girl is turning another year older soon. I enjoy my kids’ birthdays so much more than I enjoy mine.

26. February 17, 2011 10:49 am

Wow that’s a brilliant gift!! Now you just need to find a matching Ken in Hugo Boss 🙂

27. February 17, 2011 11:00 am

Lol, wow, those boots are out of this world! Definitely the perfect gift. 🙂

28. February 17, 2011 11:07 am

LOL I had no idea there were barbies like that! If I had gotten it…It would have probably gotten left in the bathtub, put away damp, and grown mold…

29. February 17, 2011 11:38 am

i think its a great idea and the earlier maya learns these lessons, the better prepared she’ll be for real life 🙂

30. February 17, 2011 12:41 pm

150 bucks! geezzzz.

31. February 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I didn’t like Barbie to begin with – but now that she has more money to spend on herself – sheesh – I detest it! 🙂

PS I hate those shoes.

32. February 17, 2011 1:06 pm

were people seriously telling you to lighten up? do they know all your posts are supposed to be funny? You are the sarcasm, humor and whit we need in our lives. thank you ameena. and than you mattel.

33. February 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Happy belated birthday fabulous lady!

34. February 17, 2011 1:52 pm

I think books are the best gift. They keep the kids entertained for hours. If that lets the parent get some work done in peace, so be it. Encyclopedia Brown, Cam Jansen, and The Boxcar Children were my favorites, and now my kids love them as well. That Barbie is ridiculous.

35. February 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Not only do we need to worry about our girls wanting to look like barbie now we need to worry about them dressing like one. Heck at least this outfit was still made for Barbie and not for Ken. I heard it is a hot item next Holiday Season.

36. February 17, 2011 2:21 pm

hahahah. i think i’m going to find an outfit like that and wear it during my vacation. thanks for the inspiration! 😀

37. February 17, 2011 2:58 pm

lawd have mercy. that is atrocious!

38. February 17, 2011 3:22 pm

How does Barbie still manage to make me hate myself? Even at an appropriate I couldn’t have pulled that look off!

39. February 17, 2011 4:15 pm

holy balls. this is ridiculous.

40. February 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Oh wow! She is something. Don’t quite know what. 🙂
    Your birthday gift is gorgeous. Happy you had a good one.

41. February 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I can only imagine how infuriating it would be to put those boots back on that stupid doll 9,000 times.

42. February 17, 2011 5:49 pm

$150 Bucks for a doll..really?!!! I have two boys and have never had the pleasure of buying these lavish dolls! I must admit I do love the thigh high pink boots!!! ;-p

Happy Birthday to Dear Maya! 🙂 xo

43. Anver Emon permalink
    February 17, 2011 7:09 pm

first of all, happy bday. and second, what are the reverberations about the regifting confession — i thought it was a brilliant idea!! whoever’s giving you trouble on that score should definitely chill out! and maybe cuz i know nothing about shoes, but what’s the red soles stuff all about? wouldn’t they get scuffed anyway? I’m confused.

• February 18, 2011 9:42 am

Having shoes with Christian Louboutin’s trademark red soles are the “in thing”…Oprah started it and of course the minute she endorses something it explodes into popularity. I can spend but I cannot spend money on shoes! Thus my closet is red sole-less.

44. Michelle permalink
    February 17, 2011 7:42 pm

You know, even as a child I would have found high, fringy boots strange on a barbie…maybe. Butttt not so much for the price tag. Maya will probably go through the cutting-off-all-of-barbies-hair-stage.

45. February 17, 2011 7:45 pm

When I see “Dolly Forever Barbie” (what does that even mean, btw?), I see Life Skills.

If only my parents had shelled out for something like that instead of the hand-me-down 70’s heirloom Barbies I romped with, I would probably have a totally different and more valid perspective on life.

46. February 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Oh my. I can’t believe that anyone would spend $150 on a doll for their kid. I could do so much with that money!! I want to say none of it would be spent on my kid, but I just spent that much on a sweet dollhouse for my little nugget. At least she’ll play with that a LOT.

47. February 17, 2011 8:20 pm

if you got that for maya, we would take it to american doll cafe for tea and show them what a REAL DOLL looks like

48. February 17, 2011 8:58 pm

While I know that you were just joking, there is a new book out that I’m interested in reading, even though I don’t even have kids. It’s called “Cinderella Ate My Daughter” and is supposed to be funny yet also provocative. Good luck wrestling with Barbie, by the way!

49. February 18, 2011 2:27 am

Belated Happy birthday to you! OMG! 150 bucks?? no way I will get this for my kid or grand kids!

50. Kath (My Funny Little Life) permalink
    February 18, 2011 4:42 am

… 😯 😯 😯

These boots are without words.

51. Kath (My Funny Little Life) permalink
    February 18, 2011 4:43 am

Oh, and they have red soles? Must look awesome with the pink boots, hehe.

52. February 18, 2011 6:41 am

I’ve got to admit that the red bottoms are one of my favorites… but I don’t see myself paying $150 for a barbie for a child. They rip the clothes off, throw them in the bath and cut their hair haha. However, If I had a barbie collection I would totally buy it for myself 🙂

53. February 18, 2011 9:55 am

i always imagine wearing Louboutin shoes! but i know that’s not going to happen:) this Barbie looks really cute but i wont pay $150 for it.

54. February 18, 2011 10:35 am

Hmm, I wonder if they make it for adults. I need to add some spice to my life!

55. February 18, 2011 10:45 am

bahahahaha!

ooh! happy belated birthday darling!!! I hope you had a fabulous one!

that doll. is. freaking. FABULOUS! do it! ❤

56. Ayla permalink
    February 18, 2011 11:02 am

I’ve seen dolls like that! It drives me crazy and I do NOT remember my barbies/dolls dressing like skanks or high-maintenance divas. Also, is it me or are they putting WAY more eye makeup on dolls these days? I found a Brats doll last year and she had so much eye makeup on that I could hardly see her eyes.

57. February 18, 2011 2:42 pm

i find your posts refreshing.
    what the hell. and what is she even wearing with those shoes…a safari slut suit?
    jeeez.
    i think you’re a wonderful mother. don’t let the misunderstand readers get ya down.

58. February 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Wow…$150 barbie?! It’s crazy how things have changed so drastically over the years. Anyways, I know whatever you decide to get your daughter, she’ll love it!

59. February 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Haha wow that definitely takes the cake as most ridiculous barbie!

60. nadia khan permalink
    February 18, 2011 4:35 pm

omg, just what i’ve always wanted…i knew today was the day i had to catch up on old posts and as always, never disappointed! i think we should buy a matching pair and sport around all the desi events together, truly we’ll stand out…or fit right in;)

you absolutley crack me up in the last 4 posts, when r u doing a coffee table book…XOXO

61. February 18, 2011 6:43 pm

That is crazy that a Barbie costs $150! 😉 Good thing you don’t have a dog (right?). ALL my barbies ended up getting chewed up by our dog so we had to pretend they got in car accidents, etc. At least you wont have to worry about that!

62. February 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Oh my goodness that is insane…so glad I had boys 😉

63. Ali permalink
    February 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Ahem- not to stand up for Mattel, but they are trying to do whatever they can to deal with the threat from bratz. That was a major blow to them. Not that I think it’s good for a role model for young girls.

I do however really like their new campaign on billboards across LA. They show Ken and read something like “Barbie, I want you back” and another one “you are the only doll for me”. I think that is brilliant, but it’s been 4 weeks and I am waiting for the campaign to move on to it’s next phase.

64. February 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Seriously? I’m having a hard time believing people don’t get that your ‘having a go’ as we Aussies say ( which loosely translated means you enjoy being sarcastic in a funny sort of way!!!) I posted something in the same manner awhile back about Martha (you know…. “that” Martha) & it was all tongue in cheek & got blasted with comments & emails…. ‘how dare I’ stuff.
    Anyway…, glad to see your flying the flag so high fulfilling every little girls dreams with this outrageous Barbie. Only Barbie could pull of a pair of boots like that…., I think if I tried it a) no one would realise they were Christian Louboutin’s but rather some horrible copy or worse still…, b) something a hooker would wear!!!!!
    Glad your handling this kid raising thing so well & with so much humour 🙂

65. galitbreen permalink
    February 19, 2011 5:19 am

Oh, Ameena. Cute and funny as always, friend. For the record: At first glance, I thought that the boots were leg warmers. Can we still be friends?!

I’m excited to see what you *do* come up with for Maya’s birthday! It’s officially birthday season at our house, too! Let’s clink drinks when it’s over, shall we? 🙂

66. February 19, 2011 6:05 am

Oh my goodness. That this doll exists, that people buy it, baffles me. Give the little girl some time to find this nonsense on her own, right? That’s my take… As always, appreciate your keen sense of humor 🙂

67. February 19, 2011 6:49 am

Hill-arious! I never understood Barbie when I was younger, and I certainly don’t now!

68. February 19, 2011 7:15 am

its your sarcasm that I love so damn much!

that doll is silly.

and I often wonder what manufacturers are smoking!

sometimes Ameena, I am SO RELIEVED I have boys.

trucks, cars, drums, space things….for now I’m safe.
    xoxoxxo

69. February 19, 2011 7:54 am

Barbie is so ridiculous. My younger cousin actually has a Barbie play room that has a massive dream house, one of those stupid barbie cars, and hundreds of Barbie dolls. I don’t know how her parents can afford it (answer: they can’t) but she is soooo spoiled! And no matter what, they always come out with a brand new Barbie that little girls just “need”, and my cousin is first in line to get it.
    I’m not even saying this with contempt, just utter amazement at how this happens. Who are these marketing geniuses who figured out a way to charge so much for a piece of plastic and convince people that it’s the best toy ever?

70. February 19, 2011 10:01 am

if i was smart i would have gotten a salad. i’m now nursing a serious rich-food hangover. worth it, though. that meatball pizza was amazing.

71. February 19, 2011 3:54 pm

All my barbies are bald. $150 haircut? LOL

72. February 19, 2011 9:13 pm

A belated Happy Birthday!! I hope you had the most wonderful perfect birthday – you deserve it!! I loved this post, which made me laugh tremendously – and I totally agree with you, too! 🙂

73. February 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Oh heaven help us…what a character that Barbie is…what expensive taste she has! You made me smile. Again. For those of you who don’t see the humor in your posts, well…they probably need some kind of evaluation. Thank you for sharing with me tonight. I hope you have a relaxing and happy Sunday!

74. February 19, 2011 10:17 pm

$150 for a Barbie? That’s a downpayment on Louboutins for me! Of course you shouldn’t lighten up. No child needs that kind of extravagance.

75. February 21, 2011 7:24 am

My mother sewed period costumes for our Barbie dolls. WAY better than anything Mattel ever concocted. (My personal favorites still are the outfits she sewed for friends of ours – kid you not, she made Amish dresses for Barbie!)

And in my own personal, not-so-humble opinion, those boots are just bone ugly, doll or human.

76. February 21, 2011 6:08 pm

That Barbie is just hard to fathom–truly find it hard to believe that it exists! Love this post, and definitely caught the sarcasm.

77. March 5, 2011 12:34 pm