Re-Gifting

December 20, 2010

I really don’t know why I’m admitting this but here goes…I re-gift to my own child.

Yes. Yes! I realize how unforgivable this is. After all, I’m taking advantage of a 5-year-old who doesn’t have the capacity to remember that she’s opened the same gift on multiple occasions.

But if you have so much you can’t keep track of it then…you have too much! Right?

I feel guilty. No, I really do! But then Maya will say something ridiculous about how she has nothing to play with and that’s when I launch into my, “Do you know how lucky you are? Do you know there are kids in India who would kill for that one-armed Barbie you just threw on the floor?” speech.

And as I wrap up my lengthy speech yet again I’ve convinced myself that Maya does not need One.More.Thing. And that’s when I shamelessly re-wrap the fill in the blank I gave her for her birthday and quietly placed it under the tree.

I hope that when Maya grows up and starts reading about my insane parenting tactics she doesn’t hold it against me too much. But who knows? By then I’ll probably be so out of it that I won’t realize she’s stuck me in a nursing home and has been giving me the same ugly Sears faux-cashmere sweater for years.

Karma is a b@#$h.

1. December 20, 2010 12:25 am

You crack me up Ameena! I think kids go nuts over anything that is wrapped so don’t feel too bad 🙂 She is happy and that’s all that matters.

I love your beautiful Christmas tree. Merry Christmas!

2. Leslie permalink
    December 20, 2010 1:17 am

Your tree looks glorious! Especially as it’s multiplied by the glass and mirror. That’s an ingenious setting, my dear.

Regifting to your own child, my dear, you are Brilliant! Santa would heartily approve methinks.

A blessed holiday season to you full of…joy, gratitude, serenity, inspiration, accomplishment, awe, laughter, hope and lots of love! Your spirit lights up my life like your tree glows, multi-faceted and multiplied, spreading its warm.

3. December 20, 2010 1:36 am

LOL, but by then, you will have saved enough money on regifted presents to buy her an LV of her own to ruin. That will keep her quiet 😀

4. December 20, 2010 4:00 am

My cousin constantly reminds her mother “remember who picks your nursing home, mom”.

I can’t do that. My parents are determined to stick it out in their current home.

I guess I can always pick out the nurse that makes house calls…

5. Thetreadmilldiaries permalink
    December 20, 2010 4:23 am

If Maya can’t remember the gifts and no one outs you, I don’t see any harm in what you’re doing. :). Plus why is that kids have a one-armed Barbie at some point?

6. December 20, 2010 4:31 am

That’s not devious – it’s SMART! 🙂

Love your Xmas tree.

7. December 20, 2010 5:12 am

bahahah. i always tell my mom that she’ll be LUCKY if she gets a nursing home 😉 and your tree is stunning. i’m serious: adopt me? i won’t hold your parenting skillzzzz against you 😉

8. December 20, 2010 5:18 am

I think I would love to do a guest post with you! I am a pediatric psychologist who loves running parenting seminars at the library here, and in my “How to survive the Holidays” I advised parent of kids 6 and under to only have 6 toys out for playing with all year long, and to pack up any extras, wrap them up, and then magically give mystery “prizes” when you get into the car after not getting a gift at the mall, or chocolate at TJS. Then you take one away…especially for kids 4 and under, waiting 6 months to re-introduce toys, it is awesome. And if it is not their “favorite,” super easy to pull off.

• December 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I used to do this a lot when Maya was little. I still do this but it’s a little trickier trying to get away with this since Maya is 5!

9. December 20, 2010 5:32 am

Kids love anything that is wrapped and I think the day she realizes that she is being re-gifted, change your strategy! Until then carry on 😉

Beautiful tree!

10. December 20, 2010 5:42 am

Wow. My mother was thrifty but she wasn’t /that/ devious :p I’ve never been bold enough to re-gift unless there were worlds between the original giver and the eventual recipient. For example, two families on opposite sides of a divorce despise each other, so they never talk and it’s perfectly safe to give those ugly tea candles from an aunt on one side to the grandmother on the other.

• December 21, 2010 10:01 am

I’m not thrifty as much as I am lazy…plus I just don’t want to keep indulging her simply because I’m expected to! And on top of that, Maya will get way too many toys from other people so she won’t go without in any way! As far as re-gifting to others, I don’t really do that anymore. If I get something I don’t like I ship it off to Goodwill!

11. December 20, 2010 5:54 am

Lol…I LOVE it that you regift to Maya…love it.

12. December 20, 2010 5:59 am

Wait, does she forget about what she got for her birthday?

13. December 20, 2010 6:05 am

We’re regifting to M. Totally understandable. LOL

14. December 20, 2010 6:15 am

I say, as long as she doesn’t remember, then you’re in the clear. If she notices and complains, tell her you’re going to go down to one present. I’m sure she’ll be totally fine with regifting then.

15. December 20, 2010 7:08 am

Don’t feel so bad. My mom used to leave me things on my bed and then sometimes if I did not need them back with my in Vegas or at college, I would leave them in my room. In an attempt to get them off my bed and out of the house, she would wrap them and ship them to me for Hanukkah. If Maya does not remember, no big deal.

16. December 20, 2010 7:24 am

You better believe I am writing down all your parenting strategies for when I pop one out. 🙂

17. December 20, 2010 7:36 am

This is TOO funny! I am really not against it though, as long as she really doesn’t remember she has the present. It’s a good way to avoid accumulating too much unnecessary stuff, and still provide the gift-unwrapping experience. So … I think you are an evil genius.

18. December 20, 2010 7:48 am

I think that is so smart! Kids have so much stuff and I think just the excitement of unwrapping something can refresh their excitement for said item.

And don’t worry, I am sure when your daughter reads these posts one day she will just smile and think to herself, “oh Mom”. 🙂

19. December 20, 2010 8:09 am

i think that’s smart, there is no need to feel bad as long as you don’t get caught by maya.

And probably when maya is raising her own kids she will use all these tips and think “they’re working. thanks mom”. 🙂

20. December 20, 2010 8:18 am

Dude if you get away with it year after year… that’s a total blessing 😉 keep going! hehe

I really do love your little parenting tricks and it gives me hope that one day I can actually handle children… im so afraid i’m going to damage my future child forever… but my mom broke me so maybe it’s time to pay it forward? oh dear.

I need a LOT of help 😉

xoXOxo

21. December 20, 2010 8:26 am

Oh one of these days Maya is so going to catch on you to you! I fear that day =P

22. December 20, 2010 8:40 am

brilliant! it never dawned on me that lil brats would never know the difference between a toy they got on their birthday and forgot about and a toy re-gifted. brilliant! im definitely going to be using this one.

23. December 20, 2010 8:40 am

GO you! My boys have SO many toys, and they receive SO many more for Christmas. There is a point in which enough is enough. I like your idea!

24. December 20, 2010 9:09 am

I love it!

heheheehe

25. December 20, 2010 9:10 am

Haha, as long as Maya is happy I’d say you’re doing nothing wrong! Great post- yours always make me laugh 😀

26. December 20, 2010 9:25 am

You are brilliant, Ameena! I’m definitely going to remember this for when I have kids…brilliant, I tell you.

Love your gorgeous Christmas tree!

27. tra permalink
    December 20, 2010 9:26 am

LOL i regifted a brooch my aunt gave me 2 xmas’s later to my mom. SHE LOVED IT. LOL! LOL!

28. December 20, 2010 9:49 am

I always pick up such nifty tips from you to use on my future children. Needless to say, I’m filing this one away for future use. Maybe our kids can get a group discount on therapy?

29. December 20, 2010 10:05 am

Your Christmas tree is gorgeous, Ameena! And we haven’t started doing the stocking thing yet, but next year for sure.

You know honestly, as I was wrapping the Christmas gifts this weekend, the same thought crossed my mind. I’ll bet I could rewrap some lego pieces or pieces from the kiddies’ train sets and say it’s an expansion package. Then I thought, why even wrap gifts when I could just reuse old gift bags. That way I don’t waste wrapping paper and I get to keep the bag. I swear, if K’s birthday wasn’t on Christmas eve, I would’ve stuck to my plans. Have you seen my boy dressed in pink on my FB? Lol.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family, my dear!

• December 22, 2010 2:03 pm

I use gift bags whenever possible because they can be reused. I always feel kind of sad throwing away a mountain of wrapping paper!

30. December 20, 2010 10:08 am

Best. Idea. Ever.

If she doesnt realize you’re re-gifting her own gifts, who are you hurting? No one!! 🙂

31. Asreen permalink
    December 20, 2010 10:39 am

hahaha, u’re funny

32. December 20, 2010 10:53 am

Funny, Ameena. I’m kind of surprised that she doesn’t remember her toys though. I was militant about each and every one of my toys. You guys must have a lot of toys around there (smile). Oh, and I think re-gifting them is just fine. If she doesn’t know, what’s the harm (smile but seriously)?!

33. December 20, 2010 11:19 am

my mom did this to me. guess what i have been giving her for presents the last few years?!

34. December 20, 2010 11:28 am

It’s awesome you get away with this! My niece would totally call my sister out, haha.

35. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    December 20, 2010 12:14 pm

OMG do you really do this? Doesn’t Maya notice?! 😯

36. December 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Just goes to show that the anticipation & opening the present is more exciting for Maya than the actual present huh 🙂 I think your a genius with this one….. very creative 🙂

37. December 20, 2010 4:03 pm

The kids got SO much stuff for their bdays that I hid some of it away. Guess what they’ll be unwrapping on Christmas morning?! 😉

38. December 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Totally forgivable, especially if she doesn’t even notice. And who knows, maybe it will become a fun/funny tradition and she’ll do the same to her kid(s) some day.

39. December 20, 2010 7:50 pm

1. I sincerely hope that you never get trapped in ANY Sears sweater, ever. It might be a ring of hell.

2. My grandmother totally re-gifted stuff to us, except it was tacky and terrible and easily-identifiable.

3. Love the stockings 🙂

40. December 20, 2010 8:12 pm

You have to love a child’s innocence 🙂

41. December 20, 2010 10:54 pm

OMG LOLOLOL. I die laughing. And you should NOT feel guilty until she stops dead in her tracks and looks at you and rolls her eyes and says MOMMY! I already HAVE one of THESE!!! Then you can feel guilty. But the karma component of this post is shear genius. The sweater. I die again. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

42. December 21, 2010 12:45 am

LOL! I love your style of parenting! You’re a lady after my own heart. I can totally see myself doing that with my kids.

Hey, it could be far worse– my dad one time bought me the same blanket three years in a row (well, two X-mases and one b-day). It wasn’t any sneaky attempt at regifting….he’s just criminally unobservant.

43. December 21, 2010 5:22 am

Love this. And just think: You are really teaching Maya some important lesson about the limits of material happiness. Indeed she will thank you some day. (And, yes, our kiddos have WAY too much stuff.)

44. December 21, 2010 9:56 am

hahha!
    i swear i think my mom re-gifted stuff to me too. and i turned out ok.
    ok being an important word choice there 😉

really though, of all thing that parents can do to damage their children, THIS would NOT be one to feel guilty about. seriously. you’re so right. kids have so much. i know a certain 5 year old over here on the east coast whose room is no longer big enough for her excess of toys, so theyve started taking over the kitchen…it’s ridiculous. And hell, if Maya’s just as happy getting the same gift thee times…then who the hell really cares?! it’s all about hte holiday spirit now isn’t it? 😉

45. December 21, 2010 9:59 am

This post cracked me up; it reminded me of my mother who one year gave me a leather-bound diary and wrote on it, “forbidden to re-use as a gift to me next year or to recyle” My mom always liked to present gifts and attach conditions to them, ” Here is an antique wicker chair, but you cannot sit on it”
    Your kid will not care even if she remembers (not likely) the gift, you are doing good, she gets a Xmas tree!

46. December 21, 2010 10:49 am

she’ll never know. I am sure she’ll love whatever gift you give her. As kids, the more the better, right? even if they are re-gifted! hehe.
    Your tree looks beautiful, very merry christmas friend!
    LC

47. December 21, 2010 11:23 am

I have 2 boys so nothing ever lasted long enough to do that…:(
    Happy Holidays to you and your family!

48. December 21, 2010 11:31 am

I think its perfectly fine to re-gift to kids that honestly done need anything. Better actually to give them something they can give to charity. My mom used to make me give old two clothing items to charity if I wanted anything new. It kept my wardrobe from overflowing and it made some girl in Africa (or the one in India with no barbie) happy.

49. December 21, 2010 11:59 am

It sounds like fodder for a stand-up comedian, but I’m sure Maya will fare okay. She might wonder why the elves only gave Barbie one arm though.

50. December 21, 2010 1:11 pm

This post is too funny! How ingenious–re-gifting to your child. Many kids today have plenty of toys to satisfy them and yet they are bored. You are giving your child two gifts: the physical gift and the spiritual gift of giving.

Love your tree!

51. December 21, 2010 3:15 pm

I don’t always see re-gifting as a bad thing. Especially with kids. They won’t remember in 5 years anyway!

52. Liz permalink
    December 21, 2010 8:07 pm

A very dear friend of mine admitted to me recently that her ex-husband was so “blind” to her efforts on birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, etc…that after he glanced at it and tossed it on his dresser she would retrieve it and place it in a box for safe keeping and she would then give it to him the next year. She says that she did it for the last 5 years of their marriage and he NEVER noticed. Ugh!
    Liz

53. December 21, 2010 9:32 pm

It’s never too early to teach young kids of saving money and the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle) 😀

Happy Holidays!! Your Christmas tree looks gorgeous!!

54. December 22, 2010 8:52 am

I am loving that tree btw! I think Maya will forget all about this once she’s 18 and you buy her that dream car! 🙂 Or that’s what I told my parents at 18.

55. December 22, 2010 9:26 am

You crack me up. I think it’s fine – we all have so much stuff anyway, and it feels good to use some things up. And it saves money too!

Hope you are well, Ameena.

56. December 22, 2010 11:37 am

I don’t have any witty remarks today (shocker, I know). I just wanted to say that your tree is lovely, and that I’m sure Maya will grow up to appreciate all that you and Ali have done for her. She’s a lucky girl from the way I see things.

57. December 22, 2010 12:55 pm

HA!!! That’s awesome. If Maya doesn’t even remember that she’s opened that gift before, she clearly has a lot of stuff! Lucky girl. 🙂

58. December 22, 2010 3:44 pm

This is brilliant. I already know that our children are going to be disappointed with our Christmas frugality. So…I will be using your idea when the time comes! I hope that you are having a wonderful week of holiday celebration. Thanks for sharing, my sweet friend!

59. December 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Too funny! I think re-gifting with a 5-year old is completely ok. Hey if they can’t remember…

60. December 22, 2010 6:45 pm

My mom has totally done the same thing with us! No worries, at least you never told Maya that Santa won’t come to your house because she was a bad child. My parents did.

61. December 22, 2010 8:53 pm

So Funny… whatever she does not know will not hurt her, you may have to slow down her reading abilities a bit.

62. December 22, 2010 8:54 pm

I like this! I love re-gifting, there’s no shame in it. I don’t mind being re-gifted to and sometimes, it just makes sense.

63. December 23, 2010 5:48 pm

This it too funny!! Does she notice?! I’ve been known to ‘regift’ a gift that someone gave me that I knew I would never use but this is a whole new level! ps have you tried the ‘just give the kids a big empty box’ trick?!
    Merry Christmas!

64. December 25, 2010 3:22 pm

65. December 26, 2010 11:18 am

Oooooh that is kind of terrible 😛 I love it!

66. December 27, 2010 4:00 pm