Lost in Pasadena

January 30, 2010

If there was ever such a contest, I would probably win the award for the person with the worse sense of direction.   Am I the only person who can’t read a map?  I usually have to repeat Never Eat Shredded Wheat a few times before I can figure out which way to go.  And when I finally figure out which way to go?  It usually ends up being the wrong way.

Back when I lived at home my lack of direction would drive my dad crazy.  He’d tell me how to get somewhere and say something like, “Exit the freeway and go North.” Of course I’d ask, “Is North left or right?”  And he would literally go berserk!  Finally, he put a Thomas Guide in my car and called it a day.  I never opened it.  Because I can’t read a map!!

Today my friends and I met for lunch in Pasadena.  Naturally we got lost!   So despite leaving my place at 12:45 we didn’t get to the restaurant until 2pm.  Getting lost on my own is one thing but even sadder is when I get lost with three other people in a car armed with a GPS and two iPhones giving us directions.  I think  I am hopeless.

Luckily lunch was worth the 20 minute detour.  A total of five of us met at The Raymond Restaurant.  The restaurant used to be part of a hotel which, if I understand correctly, shut down during the Great Depression.  The caretaker’s house was later turned into the very cute restaurant where we ate today.  Our table was outside on the patio:

The tables were beautifully decorated with flowers and silver salt and pepper shakers, sugar bowls, etc.  Very old school and charming.

By the time we ordered it was about 2:30 and I wanted to order one of everything.  I was starving!

My friends ordered a couple of scones to start, which I obviously had to forgo.

baked daily and served with strawberry jam and clotted cream

Am I selfish if I admit that I wasn’t disappointed when I heard the scones weren’t very good?

The birthday girl ordered the Thai Steak salad:

I couldn’t find a description on The Raymond’s website but I think it had mango, peanuts, steak, and veggies.  It looked delicious.

Another friend had the Ahi Tuna Salad:

Again, no description on the restaurant’s website but the plate seems pretty self-explanatory.  I loved the unique presentation.

Two other entrees included Eggs Benedict on Avocado and a Veggie Omelette:

I had the Salmon Salad:

organic mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, and feta cheese in a lemon dill vinaigrette

And a few of the Sweet Potato Fries that I ordered for the table:

These fries were seriously the star of lunch!  I don’t think I’ve had fries in about 5 years…but these were definitely worth the wait.

The restaurant was nice enough to bring out a dessert for the Birthday Girl:

chocolate brownie, vanilla ice cream, bananas, chocolate fudge and a cherry

I had a bite of the chocolate fudge and then reverted to my usual decaf coffee:

Lunch was great!  I highly recommend this restaurant for it’s good food, friendly service, and classy decor.  Definitely check out The Raymond if you are ever in the area.

Just be sure not to ask me for directions.

1. erintakescontrol permalink
    January 31, 2010 12:07 am

I haven’t heard Never Eat Shredded Wheat in ages!!! I sometimes wonder if I have a natural driving intuition – it’s like I can sense north and figure my way from there…maybe I was Sacagawea in a former life?! 😛

2. January 31, 2010 5:09 am

lol– I’m like you– I HATE it when my husband or parents give me directions in terms of…well, directions (NSEW). Just tell me right or left!!

3. January 31, 2010 6:03 am

I’m exactly the same when it comes to directions… if someone tells me to go north or south, I need to ask them if that means left or right. Probably why I tend not to enjoy looking for new places.

But at least you found it and the food was good!

4. January 31, 2010 6:40 am

I learned it as Never Eat Soggy Waffles 🙂

5. January 31, 2010 7:12 am

That meal looks sooo good, especially the fries!! Sweet potato fries are one of the best things… ever.

And i’m totally the same with directions. can’t read a map, can’t follow a gps. I’m hopeless. But it’s all good.

6. January 31, 2010 7:32 am

Looks like a fun lunch out! I love sweet tater fries, yummmmmmmmmmy!!

7. January 31, 2010 7:44 am

Ok at least blogging does not need a sense of geographical direction. Yr post was interesting. I am a bit confused whether you live in the West Coast or the East Coast. Good posts anyways.

8. Danielle permalink
    January 31, 2010 8:05 am

All of the food looks perfect (especially the Ahi Tuna Salad…does anyone else see a face?)
    I remember being young & visiting Pasadena- it was beautiful!

9. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 31, 2010 8:30 am

haha my mom is more directionally challenged than you, i promise. we’d lived in the same house for 10 years and she still got lost coming home from 5 miles away. i’m drooling over your lunch pics, the presentation is so nice! and sweet potato fries are well worth the wait!

10. Anne permalink
    January 31, 2010 9:56 am

Kim from Ilax Studio was telling us about your blog, so I came by for a visit and really enjoyed reading your recent posts 🙂 …so I’ll be back! Those meals look so amazingly tasty mmmm!

11. January 31, 2010 10:04 am

I have TERRIBLE directional skills too. I am always lost. It looks like a fun lunch 🙂

12. January 31, 2010 10:32 am

I have to ask if “north is left or right” too. One time I was going to a store on the coast and the shop guy said…get off the free way and head WEST. I was arguing with him about which way was that and he never answered me. I was so annoyed.

When I got off the freeway the OCEAN was practically in my face and I never laughed so hard at myself. yes WEST. got it!

I opted out of getting a NAV system in my car when I bought it a few years ago. no idea why I did that except whenever i go anywhere I am not familiar with…I bring my HUBS! He is a walking GPS.

SHEW
    xoxo

13. traynharder23 permalink
    January 31, 2010 10:53 am

don’t go to long beach. land of lost drivers. =)

and that looks like fun. okay, for our hangout we’re doing breakfast, because i love breakfast! =D

psh. straight hair sucks! =D bah, i know- contacts are teh DEVIL sometimes!

January 31, 2010 11:26 am

hahahaha I repeat Never Eat Shredded Wheat to myself ALL the time!! My boyfriend calls himself the “king of navigation” and it makes him crazy that I cant get anywhere. Basically if its more than a 30 minute drive somewhere, Im not going there because I cant find it.
    He LOVES to tell me to just go North and it makes me crazy because,
    “DO I LOOK LIKE A COMPASS TO YOU?!?!?!”

15. January 31, 2010 11:47 am

Looks delicious! I love sweet potato fries. I’m attempting an at-home version tonight, actually. We’ll see how it goes 😉

16. January 31, 2010 11:47 am

i too am directionally challenged! i always think that places look familiar, and am convinced about going in a certain direction due to “landmarks”…that i’ve never seen before.

that food looks worth the wait though! such fun presentation and girlie lunches are always the best 🙂

17. January 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Hahaha I told my second grade students about the Never Eat Shredded Wheat saying just the other day

18. actorsdiet permalink
    January 31, 2010 2:31 pm

i’m horrible with directions – i need my GPS to get me everywhere. never heard of the “never eat shredded wheat” thing before – i’ll be using that!!!

19. January 31, 2010 4:00 pm

yum that looks like such a yummy lunch! arent sweet potatoes so delicious? 😀 sorry about the whole directions thing! i am totally clueless when it comes to that 😉 xoxo soph

20. January 31, 2010 5:03 pm

You always have the most beautiful restaurant picks. Your daughter is pretty open to food choices to choose a steak salad. Those sweet taters look amazing…well, it all looks great 🙂

21. January 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Ha, if I didn’t have my GPS, I’d wind up in Mexico.

Blah, scones are bland to me anyway. Then again, I’m a Southern girl–we like biscuits, not dry little frou frou scones!

22. traynharder23 permalink
    January 31, 2010 8:18 pm

NAH you don’t want slippery asian hair!

and i’m so glad i make you laugh! really!? are you serious?! =D

23. February 1, 2010 11:13 am

What a fantastic view! Surely that had to make the meal that much better even!

24. Shahbano permalink
    February 1, 2010 2:44 pm

I feel like we are back at the restaurant again! What a great photo tour of the lunch. I am loving that you are blogging and am so proud of you!!!

25. bonny permalink
    February 1, 2010 3:09 pm

i love the raymond! and it’s not far from where i live. if you’re in the area again, you have to try julienne in san marino. it’s right around the corner from me and they have the BEST breakfast/brunch/lunch…http://www.juliennetogo.com/restaurant.php

26. February 3, 2010 6:53 pm

Your salad looks so good!

If I have directions and landmarks to look for I’m okay, but there are certain parts of Atlanta that I will always get lost in. Thank goodness for the maps feature on the iPhone!

1. I am OCD « Fancy That…Fancy This