Hot Pants

January 28, 2010

So I’m walking from the bedroom to the kitchen, just minding my own business, when all of a sudden I see this:

And what is this exactly?  Ali’s pajama pants on the floor next to the fireplace.  You can’t tell from this picture but the fireplace is on.  You also can’t tell from this picture but Ali is sitting next to his pants, typing away on his laptop.

Me: “Why are your pajamas next to the fireplace?”

Ali: “Because they are not dry.”

Me: “I am still very confused as to why they are on the living room floor.”

Ali: “How else do you expect me to dry them?”

I wanted to ask if utilizing the dryer would be completely out of the question but Ali’s attention was already focused back on his second wife, i.e. his laptop and my 30 seconds was up.

As Ali’s pajamas baked in the living room, I made my way into the kitchen to think about dinner.  Although I’d spent a good $75 at Trader Joe’s on Sunday, the fridge was pretty bare.   I don’t get it!  So I dug deep into the cupboard for inspiration and found a box of quinoa and a few other things that helped make dinner look like it was actually planned:

Once again my Trader Joe’s obsession is quite apparent.

In the past I’ve always cooked quinoa on the stove, but today I decided to use the rice cooker so that I didn’t have to babysit the stove the way Ali was babysitting his pants.

I bought this little rice cooker for $19 about 9 years ago and it still works great!  Kudos to the Aroma people for making a product that has withstood almost a decade of abuse.

Black Bean Quinoa

1 cup of uncooked quinoa
1.5 cups of defrosted broccoli florets
1/2 cup of black beans
1/3 cup of dried cranberries
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 cup of peach salsa

1. Rinse and cook the quinoa as directed.
2. In a large bowl add the olive oil, vinegar, cumin powder, and turmeric and mix well.
3. Add the salsa, black beans, and broccoli and mix well.
4. Add the quinoa and mix again.

Ali had this plate along with a piece of breaded Tilapia from Trader Joe’s.  I almost dropped dead from shock when he said dinner was good.  He never gives out compliments voluntarily – usually they are a result of me angrily prying them out of him.

Since his plate was a little too carby for me I had my quinoa alongside a pile of defrosted green beans.  I can get away from eggs once in a while but I just can’t cut the cord on the defrosted vegetables.

An hour later I was hungry again so I had a quarter of one of the Chocolate Fudge Babies that Maya and I made, along with a square of dark chocolate.  The Chocolate Fudge Babies are really good but SO rich.

I have to go because I just heard a timer go off…I hope it wasn’t a reminder for Ali to turn his pants over.  Don’t laugh…you never know with him.

1. January 28, 2010 10:15 pm

That looks so tasty!

It was great to meet you at the Veggie Grill! I’m so glad to have found your blog.

2. January 28, 2010 10:35 pm

One thing I’ve got to admit. You are a much neater person than I am. I mean, you’ve got all the ingredients lined up on your kitchen counter, that cooker is as good as new – no grease, no dust, nothing!
    Er, how did those pajamas get damp in the first place? Don’t tell me they were straight from the washing machine!

• January 28, 2010 10:42 pm

And thanks for introducing me to different food stuff. When you say defrosted veggies (broccoli and beans) are they cooked and frozen?

3. January 29, 2010 4:59 am

Haha maybe he was trying to save energy by not using the dryer. My family does weird things like that once in a while… I hope it’s not genetic.

I hate it when I spend so much money at the store, but it feels like there’s nothing to eat. You did a good job improvising though! Quinoa is probably my favorite grain to eat… especially with salsa and broccoli 🙂

4. January 29, 2010 5:07 am

lol– I know what you mean about the grocery store. I feel like we spend $$$ there, and then I come home and we’ve gotten like, four items. That last us until Wednesday.

5. January 29, 2010 5:20 am

That was so amusing! I never had quinoa before, only couscous, but I guess they’re somewhat the same? The meal looks wonderful despite it being a last minute, digging-the-cupboard meal!

I totally understand you on the $$ issue!

6. January 29, 2010 5:42 am

The pants thing CRACKS me up!! We had a trader joes when we lived in Ann Arbor, but no such luck down here in Dallas 😦

I wish that I could be as crafty as you with making spur of the moment dinners. I always fail dramatically.

7. January 29, 2010 5:49 am

you always have the funniest things to add…cute…
    black beans + quinoa is great.

8. January 29, 2010 6:00 am

My husband does the same thing with is socks and gloves… men are silly 🙂

9. January 29, 2010 6:11 am

And here I thought those pants were laying there, waiting to be put into the hamper. Like at my house–my husband’s clothing goes on the floor next to the laundry basket. I don’t get men sometimes.

I love quinoa…that looks delicious!

• January 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Ali’s clothes go directly on top of the hamper…but rarely in it.

10. January 29, 2010 6:19 am

Haha that is hilarious!! I love your Ali stories! Men… what can you do.

yummmmy dinner!

11. Danielle permalink
    January 29, 2010 7:15 am

Haha maybe he didn’t want his pants to shrink in the dryer?
    The quinoa looks really good! I wish we had a Trader Joes around here

12. traynharder23 permalink
    January 29, 2010 7:49 am

that’s hilarious! =D reminds me of in high school/grade school when people are drying their hair in the hand dryer? heheh.

ali is hilarious.

which tj’s do you go to?!
    and you HAD THE FIREPLACE ON?! evn tho it was 70 yetserday?!

• January 29, 2010 2:39 pm

I go to the Westwood location about 3 times a week!

And the fireplace was on at night…it gets chilly at night!

13. January 29, 2010 8:19 am

Haha I like the pj pants story and pic to accompany it!

MMMMM dinner looks good! I eat quinoa at least once a week – I love it. I usually chop up tons of spinach and mix into it so I get my greens that way. It is pretty tasty.

14. traynharder23 permalink
    January 29, 2010 8:20 am

i think we’re ALWAYS going back and forth to target to return things. SO LAME.

i know. i look at SHAPE and SELF and i’m like…how come they always ALWAYS say the same thing. i was going to say on the blog that i hate how they’re always talking about losing more weight and LOVING yourself for it…so it’s kinda meh. meh- but i was worried that people who read it would take offense.

15. January 29, 2010 8:20 am

Haha – I just noticed your title!

16. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce permalink
    January 29, 2010 8:40 am

haha i’ve resorted to weirder pant drying methods, ali is funny! yum nice work whipping up a dinner with not too many options, that sounds and looks great. i love black beans and quinoa, but i haven’t tried it with apple cider vinegar, i bet it’d give it a little somethin somethin

17. January 29, 2010 9:40 am

I also have a Trader Joe’s obsession! I’ve told my husband that if we ever move, there must be a TJ’s within 10 miles 😉

That quinoa dish looks delicious. I haven’t had luck making quinoa “right.” It comes out funny. I might have to try this one.

18. January 29, 2010 9:43 am

Yummy dinner – I do have some questions: I stopped rinsing my quinoa b/c I was losing so many seeds. It’s kinda like yeast where it static clings to everything. Not rinsing hasn’t seem to make a difference but just wondering what your thoughts were. Also, can you taste the apple cider vinegar – I found that to be an interesting ingredient.

• January 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I always rinse it and then put it thorugh a tea strainer. Not sure if it really needs to be rinsed but the box says so and I am a directions follower!

I love the apple cider vinegar because it gives it a nice kick!

19. January 29, 2010 9:57 am

Ah, men.

Delicious dinner!

20. January 29, 2010 10:20 am

this post is fantastic — laughed out loud more than once! thanks for making me smile (and for the delicious looking recipe!)

January 29, 2010 10:23 am

hahaha you always make me laugh.
    The pants on the floor thing is just too funny. Thats men for you. Why use the dryer when you can lay them on the floor? I will NEVER understand their logic, but my boyfriend is exactly the same way.
    I can remember one conversation that went something like this, “why is your sock laying on my coffee table?” (yah thats right – MY coffee table. He sure does make himself at home in my place)
    “it was wet”
    “ok – well why are you still wearing the other one then?”
    “that ones still dry”
    At that point, it was easier to just walk away and stop asking questions. It was NEVER going to make sense to me.

22. January 29, 2010 12:08 pm

LOL, at least he’s being environmentally friendly!…?
    That’s hilarious

23. January 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi Ameena,
    Thanks for finding my blog again! Glad Ive found yours, too!
    your quinoa looks lovely and the book review you did in the last post was right up my alley!

24. January 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Haha, Ali’s so funny! You two are the opposite of me and Ari… I always dry my delicates on a towel in front of our bed!

25. January 29, 2010 1:22 pm

First of all, brilliant idea to cook your quinoa in a rice cooker? Why haven’t I thought of this???!!! And wow, dinner looks so good!! I wish I had some of that peach salsa. I’ll have to pick some up on my next TJ’s trip! 🙂

26. January 29, 2010 1:26 pm

I am obsessed with quinoa right now!! I make so much of it then I just mix it up with anything I find in the fridge. Amazzingggg.

My boyfriend’s other girlfriend is totally his cell phone. Of course, my other boyfriend is my BlackBerry so we’re equal. We made a rule that when we’re spending quality time together the phones need to be out of reach.

27. January 29, 2010 1:36 pm

I laughed out really hard here at work reading the last sentence of your post… MEN… There are times that I think if god had created woman first they he wouldn’t have had to bother with man. But then I guess they were our first draft.

28. January 29, 2010 1:39 pm

LOl so funny!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE quinoa.. never used a rice cooker to make it, though.. fabulous idea 🙂

Happy weekend!!

29. January 29, 2010 2:44 pm

love quinoa! and always looking for new recipessss

30. January 29, 2010 3:07 pm

you are hysterical. Thanks for the big smiles today. needed it!

dinner looks PERFECT!

I may have to give that a go.

my rice cooker (the first ity bity one) is MUUUUUUUCH older than a decade, and I almost chucked it once, when I got a bigger, newer one..but I still love my smaller easier to use one.

There were a few years of kitchen remodel time where I made most every meal with that thing (and a toaster oven)

woo hoo for great engineering!

hope the pants got dry

31. January 29, 2010 4:50 pm

What a fabulous quinoa recipe! I am going to have to pass that on to our cook, thanks so much 🙂

32. January 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I pry compliments on my cooking from my husband too! He usually says “it’s good” and I always make him rank the meal against other meals we have had! I like to get a little credit for slaving in the kitchen. 🙂

And yes, I think a meet-up at Petros is a must!

33. January 29, 2010 5:35 pm

I love the picture of your husband’s pants drying on the floor in front of the fireplace… it totally sounds like something my hubby would do! LOL…

34. January 29, 2010 6:01 pm

It’s a guy thing…and they say we are hard to understand.

35. January 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Heh heh, I put my pajamas over the heating vent so they are all warm and toasty when I wear them before bed. Makes me sleep like a baby! 🙂

I share your passion for TJs! I’m surprised you didn’t join us for our TJ trip the other day!

36. January 30, 2010 12:16 pm

You crack me up.

I think we’re married to the same man. Mine leaves clothes all over the house, as if he spontaneously stripped on the spot. And his beloved MacBook is most definitely his second wife.

37. January 30, 2010 1:43 pm

LOL! They probably would have dried quicker in the dryer!

That dish looks so good. I have been wanting to try quinoa! I am going to bookmark it 🙂

1. Laundry basket review