This is 40

February 18, 2016

I wasn’t particularly concerned with turning 40. Until Ali plastered the walls with foil signs that read “Happy 40th Birthday!

IMG_2998

Lunch at Quilon…one of our new favorites in London.

Yes I know he meant well. Yes I know I should appreciate his efforts to decorate more. But I’m just throwing it out there that the number 40 looks VERY large and ominous in printed form.

Plus one sign was substantially crooked. (Sorry, I couldn’t hold that back.)

IMG_2996

We took this picture at the end of lunch….when I was less angry about Ali being SO LATE.

As I waited for Ali to join me for my birthday lunch I concluded that I really don’t feel 40.

(Side Note: My husband was 25 minutes late to lunch…nothing new there. Sorry, I couldn’t hold that back either.)

IMG_3017

At the Corinthia Hotel for tea. I think Ali mentioned it was my birthday so he could eat my free dessert.

Okay, so I mostly don’t feel 40. Especially if I ignore my:

• bad knees
  • wrinkles
  • gray hair
  • unpredictable temper (not sure if this has anything to do with age but it seems to be getting worse)
IMG_3033

At the Wolsley where Ali and Maya scarfed down scones. I scarfed down jam.

In any case, my wrinkles, gray hair, and bad knees are limping onwards to 50.

This means that Ali has exactly one decade to learn to be on time. And to use a leveler when hanging a foil “Congratulations, you’re over the hill” sign.

IMG_3052

Final birthday dessert at Scott’s in Mayfair.

I’m not holding my breath.

1. February 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Fabulous 40! I love all the fancy writing on the plates. Ali should have written “Happy 25th!” or something, but hey, he did well by trying. 🙂

• February 19, 2016 3:36 am

He’s always trying J…well not really. But that seemed like the right thing to say! 🙂

2. February 18, 2016 5:27 pm

If it helps, I’m exactly 10 years and so many months younger than you. I do have on bad leg (due to a torn hamstring which I was rewarded with playing football, oh sorry you may refer to it as Soccer in your part of the world, which being attacked at the same time by two guys slightly more heavier build as me), A wrinkle above my right eye (again awarded in the same sport as mentioned above and required 4 stitches by a socially awkward nurse) and not exactly grey hair but loss of hair underneath my jaw (a condition called Alopecia which eventually hair does return). There is a point to all this and I’ve lost it – must be my old age.

40 isn’t old, it’s just years younger than 50.

Chill yo

• February 19, 2016 3:37 am

Sorry about the Alopecia…sounds unpleasant to say the least. Fingers crossed you avoid further disaster my friend!

3. February 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Happy Birthday Ameena! I’ll eat a scone in your honor. 🙂

• February 19, 2016 3:38 am

Thank you Heather! I can’t think of a better gift. Just wish we were eating them together!

4. February 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Happy Birthday! All the best!

• February 19, 2016 3:38 am

Thank you Ayala! I appreciate your nice comment!

5. fabzindia permalink
    February 18, 2016 11:56 pm

A very Happy Birthday to you!! So many yummy desserts – it sounds like Ali really tried to make your day special!

6. Priya permalink
    February 19, 2016 12:36 am

Happy happy birthday, Ameena! Your hair looks amazing in the pics plus you don’t look a day over 35. 😉 And if turning 40 comes with 3 free desserts, just think what the big 5-0 could bring. 🙂

• February 19, 2016 3:39 am

Thank you Priya! You have the best hair so coming from you this is a huge compliment. 🙂

7. seana permalink
    February 19, 2016 6:03 am

Hope you had a great birthday! I turn the big 50 this year. But I still feel 30 🙂

• February 19, 2016 6:39 am

Thanks Seana…and an early happy birthday to you! 🙂

8. February 19, 2016 8:16 am

Happy Birthday, Ameena! You look very young 🙂

• February 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Thank you Lost! I appreciate the nice comment. 🙂

9. February 19, 2016 9:30 am

Happy Birthday Ameena. For what it’s worth, you don’t look 40 so don’t feel bad if you don’t feel it either. I’ll allow you to feel like you’re still in your 30s. That’s the kinda gal I am.
    Glad you had a fun time staring at plates of delicious desserts. I hope you got to enjoy a treat or two, though.
    Unrelated but quasi-related note: the hubs and I are doing our big UK trip next year so I may seek advice from you on London. Mostly so I can feel like an ultra chic hipster local instead of a tourist with stars for eyes 😉

• February 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Thank you for the kind comment Aparna! I appreciate it. And shoot me an email whenever you want my UK suggestions. I’d be thrilled to share!

10. February 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Happy 40!!
    Didn’t you know that 40 is the new 30 &
    you def. do not look 40!!! ( Whatever that looks like )

• February 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Thank you K! I appreciate the kind words…makes me feel better about the aging process. 🙂

11. February 19, 2016 3:17 pm

It’s just a number.. I do more now that what I did when I was 30.. beleive me.. I been sky diving. Speed boating. . Plating hockey.
    Etc etc etcccc. .

And I just r3ad the comment above about london.. do tell me toooo..

• February 19, 2016 3:18 pm

And wish you a very happy birthday and many happy returns of the day. .

• February 21, 2016 6:48 am

Send me an email – I’m happy to send you suggestions of whatever you want to know about London!

12. February 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

13. Nadia permalink
    February 21, 2016 1:15 am

Awwwww!!! Love!!!! Loving all the 40 signs and attention superduper Cute!! There will be a lot more of that when you come to LA by the way 😉 can’t wait to catch up, you are 40 and fab !! Xx

• February 21, 2016 6:42 am

Can’t wait to see you too! Next month for sure. 🙂

14. February 22, 2016 11:37 am

Happy (belated) birthday Ameena. I am a few years out from 40 and oddly looking forward to it. I hope by then to finally have my life (back) on track. As for you, I hope this is your best year ever…that Ali finally cleans up after himself…and that your dearest daughter realizes how fabulous you are (although this probably won’t happen for another decade, if I remember correctly.) XOXO and eat lots of chocolate cake!

• February 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you for the nice comment Andrea! The best gift would be if Ali cleaned up after himself – I don’t see this happening EVER though. 🙂

15. hcoving permalink
    February 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Happy belated birthday. You are a very gorgeous 40 and have no need to worry about the supposed wrinkles and grey hair. At 42, I still feel young until someone asks me to stay up past 11 p.m. and then I remember that I’m old.

• February 28, 2016 7:23 am

I can’t stay up past 10:00 pm Heather…you aren’t the only one!!

PS: I had no idea you are 42…you are gorgeous.

16. March 1, 2016 2:33 am

happy Belated birthday, you are so beautiful and a young heart . God bless

17. March 1, 2016 5:10 pm

Happy Birthday doll! And 40 is the new 30; and 30 is the new 20. Who wants to be 20 and stupid anyway?

• March 2, 2016 6:27 am

So true. And I wasn’t very smart when I was in my 20s… 🙂

18. sarahjmir permalink
    March 2, 2016 10:52 pm

haha Happy 40th Ameena 🙂

• March 3, 2016 6:33 am

Thank you Sarah! Still can’t comprehend that number in written form…

19. Jessie E. permalink
    March 4, 2016 12:20 pm

Happy birthday, Ameena!! A bit late, of course 🙂 You make 40 look amazing!!!

• March 4, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you Jessie! Such a nice comment, I appreciate it!

20. May 23, 2016 4:25 pm

Just turned 45 and I LOOK about 50 whereas you Ameena have five years to catch up and look at least five years younger than you are. So NO sympathy for you here. I’m now going to sit in a corner and sulk and count my grey hairs. Again.

21. May 23, 2016 4:25 pm