keeping her occupied

March 4, 2016

I went into last weekend with much trepidation, knowing that with Ali out of town it was up to me to entertain Maya for 48 hours.

You’re probably thinking, “Must you worry about everything Ameena? She’s not an infant for crying out loud. Just put her in front of the TV.”

IMG_3138

At Central Park…funny how we head to the park when it’s 45 degrees or more here, but in LA we wouldn’t step food outside unless it was 60 degrees or more.

(Side note #1: I despise turning on the TV before 8 pm. It somehow depresses me.)

(Side note #2: Nothing makes me feel like a worse parent than when I see Maya zoned out in front of the TV. Except when I see her zoned out in front of the iPad. Or zoned out with Ali’s phone in her hands. — > This one tops the charts.)

IMG_3042

Maya on Ali’s phone – because heaven forbid she actually sits still on a train.

Ultimately the weekend went fine.

Since the key to keeping Maya happy is to feed her, much of our time involved restaurant lunches, cookie and donut making, and one hectic visit to Trader Joe’s (20 minute line – nuts).

We also went to Michael’s – a store that I just don’t understand- to buy useful things like green fondant.

The weather was great so we hiked through midtown (6+ miles) and then hit up the library and Barnes & Noble.

We wandered through Grand Central.

IMG_3135

Messy hair made several appearances. Clearly utilizing hairbrushes wasn’t an important part of the weekend.

We didn’t fight. Nobody was injured (although I nearly fell on my face while rock climbing at the park). The TV didn’t get turned on until after 8pm, and even then, just for half an hour. I even got some work done Saturday night.

I’m not sure why I work myself into such a panic about dumb things like keeping Maya busy, but somehow I do.

Wish I could say I’ve learned my lesson, but we all know I’m already worrying about this weekend…

1. March 4, 2016 7:29 am

I am sure it will be all fine..

2. March 4, 2016 12:16 pm

I think it’s great you don’t want to toss her in front of a screen all the time! Although, I’m sure it’s great in a pinch, but I have no qualms about TV before 8 and no kids so surely you shouldn’t listen to me!! I also don’t really understand Michael’s, until I need something specific. I am not crafty. I wouldn’t know what do do with 98% of the stuff in that store. I probably end up there maybe once or twice a year!

• March 4, 2016 3:49 pm

Agreed. I am so curious about Michael’s inventory procedures…that store has SO MUCH STUFF!!

3. Jessie E. permalink
    March 4, 2016 12:17 pm

Pretty ladies 🙂 I completely understand worrying about stuff, even through it doesn’t help anything. It’s part of our natures! Sounds like you gals had a fun weekend!

• March 4, 2016 3:48 pm

Yes, and it only gets worse when you have kids…. 🙂

4. March 4, 2016 5:44 pm

Lol I love the way u keep her occupied ! I wish my husband was like you, we don’t have kids… I love doing all that stuff

5. March 5, 2016 11:27 am

Maya and you are the cutest! I think you are going to be my role model mom for when I have a kid 😁

• March 6, 2016 7:37 am

I never thought I would be a parenting example for anybody! Thank you for the kind comment Zarine. 🙂

6. March 7, 2016 9:45 am

I’m sure someone out there has written a book “…101 ways to entertain a kid….on weekends” and if by some chance no one has come up with the idea of writing such a book, then, ahem, the opportunity is there…..Ameena 😉

7. March 12, 2016 9:29 pm

But, in course of time, the territory was partly regranted to more favored individuals, and partly cleared and