the grocery list

October 14, 2015

As organized as I am, you’d think I’d have a plan in place for Maya’s school holidays. But really, they just throw me for a loop. EVERY TIME.

Luckily, however, Ali is in town, which meant he and Maya were able to celebrate Columbus Day together this past Monday.

It seemed Ali was a bit overwhelmed by the idea of spending 12 hours with Maya though, because prior to me leaving for work he asked if any errands needed to be done.

He’s never asked that. Ever.

In honor of Ali's birthday we all went shopping so he could purchase his billionth pair of khaki pants. Maya and I were forced to create our own entertainment.

In honor of Ali’s birthday we all went shopping so he could purchase his billionth pair of khaki pants. Maya and I were forced to create our own entertainment.

Instead of verbalizing the smart ass comment percolating in my head….

(“Of course there are errands to be done. There are always errands to be done. I mean for one thing, have you not noticed the refrigerator is echoing it’s so empty?”)….

I handed him a grocery list with instructions to buy organic EVERYTHING, and then left to battle the crowds at Grand Central.

We also went to Mastro's where Ali and Maya dominated a piece of cake the size of Texas.

We also went to Mastro’s where Ali and Maya dominated a piece of cake the size of Texas.

At work, however, my sarcasm dissipated and I began to feel quite unsettled.

Mainly because Ali + the Grocery Store + Maya yield Frankenfoods like Cookie Crisp and Doritos.

And also because giving up control of even mundane things like the grocery list stresses me out to no end.

As I trekked home I talked myself down from a panic attack.I told myself that even if Ali bought non-organic peas and Fuji apples instead of Gala, I was going to survive.

The following day Maya was still on such a sugar high that I made her walk about 9 miles.

So guess what Ali bought?

Absolutely nothing. He and Maya went to Shake Shack, Cold Stone, played video games, and went rock climbing instead.

Typical.

1. seana permalink
    October 14, 2015 6:35 am

Well, you can be thankful he didn’t buy all the wrong stuff, you have the list made, and you can pick out whatever you desire πŸ™‚ Major grocery shopping is on my to do list today and I’m dreading it. At least I can drive there and it’s not far. I would never consider sending my husband by himself. It would be ugly. Ali and Maya had a lovely bonding day (ie, they both got what they wanted). Hopefully she didn’t get sick from all that ice cream!

• October 16, 2015 6:52 am

I don’t really mind grocery shopping but I do mind the crazy crowds at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s here in NY, and I also don’t love hauling everything back home!

Grocery days are one of the few times I do miss having a car.

Have a great weekend Seana!

2. October 14, 2015 7:55 am

Thank you Ameena. This made me smile. Your still my Mum’s favourite blogger. She loves your style and the way you organise your closet.

• October 16, 2015 6:52 am

So nice of you and your mom to read my random blog Maha! πŸ™‚

3. October 14, 2015 8:12 am

It’s the thought that counts…?!

And I love that pic of Ali and Maya eyeing the cake!

• October 16, 2015 6:53 am

It’s almost always just the thought around here Parita!!

4. October 14, 2015 8:23 am

he-he adorable entry! Great pictures! Love this blog!

5. October 14, 2015 10:48 am

Aww it seems like that had a fun day together and now you don’t have any junk food in your house!

• October 16, 2015 6:54 am

True…no junk food almost makes it worth not having any food at all! Thanks for the comment Jessica!

6. October 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Ha! Well, take out for dinner, I suppose. Men. Sheesh.

• October 16, 2015 6:54 am

Thank God for Seamless!! Take out here is fantastic, which is absolutely necessary when you have an empty fridge like ours.

7. October 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Yummmy cake and happy belated birthday to ali..

8. October 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Maya is a beauty like her mother!

9. Piya permalink
    October 14, 2015 9:38 pm

I hate grocery shopping. I always make my husband go. I give him the list though otherwise we wouldn’t have any decent food to eat 😜. That cake is really the size of Texas!!!!

• October 16, 2015 6:55 am

And he gets the items on your list Piya? Please tell me how I can make that happen here too?

10. Jessie E. permalink
    October 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Haha! The last line of your post is the best punchline ever. Fortunately it sounds like they had a full day of fun, although now the grocery shopping still needs to be done! As for grocery shopping husbands, I can’t tell you how many times Peter has arrived back at home with tubs of ice cream and chips — and the kicker is they’re all varieties he knows I like too :O

• October 16, 2015 6:57 am

At least I won’t touch the Doritos or Cookie Crisp so there’s a silver lining after all! πŸ™‚

11. Salina permalink
    October 17, 2015 3:44 pm

I just love reading your blog. I hate grocery shopping, I order online. I love food shopping in the market but too cold in the Autumn and forget in the winter.

• October 18, 2015 7:46 am

So many people swear by online grocery shopping but somehow I can’t let other people have control of my apples and bread. LOL Surprise surprise!

Thank you Salina for reading!

12. October 18, 2015 8:19 am

the other day I was reading excerpts from MrsFunnyBones by Twinkle Khanna and the first thing I thought was (and no disrespect for the book, I’m sure it’s fab and entertaining) Ameena could write a book that’s funnier! Always a delight to read your posts xx

• October 19, 2015 7:05 am

Such a nice thing to say Kulsum, thanks for your sweet compliment! I havenҀ™t heard of this book before but now I definitely want to check it out. πŸ™‚

13. October 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Well…it’s the thought that counts? Nope. I’d say that doesn’t apply here and I would be extremely annoyed. That five layer chocolate cake looks delish!! Yes, I counted the layers. I hope they let you have a bite.

• October 24, 2015 7:22 am

I love that you counted the layers…Maya and you would get along fabulously for just this reason! πŸ™‚

14. October 30, 2015 12:11 am

This sounds like a typical day at home with dad. My favorite story in my family is about my little cousin, who wasn’t allowed to have McDonalds, but got it every time her grandpa watched her because she would cry otherwise LOL

• October 31, 2015 7:59 am

Hmmm…sounds like a familiar story around here! Maya gets her way with everyone except me.

15. November 1, 2015 12:31 pm

I’ve said it before and will no doubt say it again, Your Ali is a legend. Pure Gold πŸ™‚

• November 1, 2015 6:32 pm