what happens…

September 5, 2012

I really wanted to go to New York for Labor Day weekend but with my current work schedule I knew a trip across the country was out of the question. So instead we decided to hop over to Vegas again. With Maya.

Here’s what didn’t happen in Vegas:

1. Despite my begging, we didn’t stay at the Mandarin Oriental, because Ali deemed it not kid-friendly enough.
  2. Aside from a few precarious minutes on the flight home (which involved me urgently searching the seat pocket for a barf bag), Maya didn’t throw up the entire weekend.
  3. We didn’t stay out past 10 pm.
  4. I was the only person in the entire city who woke up at 5:15 am.
  5. Neither Ali nor I gambled a single penny.

Here’s what did happen in Vegas:

1. We ended up staying at The Hotel, which was much nicer than I expected, except that they carried their marketing ploy a little too far with The Café, The Store, and even The Pen. Yes, really.
  2. The Mandalay Bay’s “Lazy River” kept my husband and child occupied for hours on end.
  3. I had great sea bass at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill and the most fabulous bagel at The Cafe. Best part of all? I didn’t feel sick at all!
  4. Ali found a hair in his food at the Mandarin and planned to eat around it until I said I would throw up all over him if he did.
  5. Thanks to American Express’ generosity I went to The Bathhouse Spa. And for a change I actually relaxed.

Here’s the best thing about Vegas: When you’re done doing important things like watching the man “performing” outside of The Cosmopolitan Hotel with his middle finger up and a tip jar nearby? You can hop on a one hour flight and get back to reality.

And not a minute too soon.

1. September 5, 2012 12:37 am

Hmm, the way you do Vegas sounds close to how I’d do it if I went again since I am not a gambler. I’ve only been to Vegas once and it was not my cup of tea. I suppose I’d go back for the food. Cause I love hair for dinner. I jest, but I do hear there is marvelous eating to be done there…I am glad you got to actually relax!

• September 5, 2012 8:21 pm

Random hair aside…the food in Vegas really is top notch!

2. Lady Jennie permalink
    September 5, 2012 1:47 am

I would like to eat sea bass.

Yes, of everything you said, that’s what I retained.

• September 5, 2012 8:23 pm

That’s the part of this post that I would retain as well…sea bass is fabulous.

3. squigglefloey permalink
    September 5, 2012 2:42 am

All my friends were in Vegas over the weekend (they’re in their mid-twenties). You guys are so Hip n Happenin’ 🙂 haha

• September 5, 2012 8:24 pm

We probably passed them by the elevator…as we were going back to sleep they were probably on their way out for the night. 🙂

• squigglefloey permalink
        September 7, 2012 10:16 pm

And they were probably like…”Who’s that hottie?” hahaha

4. September 5, 2012 2:47 am

Although I should be focused on your post and around the stuff that didn’t happen or did happen, I must admit – I like the idea of a Labor Day. What is it and can I get it here in the UK? I could do with a few of those days and maybe Vegas could happen for me too.

• September 5, 2012 8:33 pm

Why doesn’t the UK have Labor Day? It celebrates the contributions of the workers…and people in the UK work…

I think you should campaign for Labor Day!

• September 6, 2012 1:53 am

We do have half a dozen of public holidays throughout the year (which they refer to Bank holiday, etc) but we don’t have any Labor Day. I think we need half a dozen of these Labor Days too. A campaign is needed indeed.

5. September 5, 2012 3:12 am

Oh gosh I love Vegas so much! I enjoy walking around aimlessly from hotel to hotel admiring all of the wonderfully strange things around the strip…and do not get me started on the desserts. I also like Casino Wars and the spas! Can you tell I come from a country so small the cinema shows one movie a week? lol! Glad you got some down time at the spa!

• September 5, 2012 8:34 pm

The hotels are really the best part! That and the food.

One movie a week? I bet you still see more movies than I do. 🙂

6. September 5, 2012 4:43 am

Vegas is pretty surreal! We don’t gamble either, although last time we were there we did put one dollar in the slot machine just for kicks. We didn’t win. The food is fab, sorry about the hair! Glad you had a fun weekend and hope the school re-entry went ok 😉

• September 5, 2012 8:34 pm

Maya re-entered school back in mid-August so it was no problem. Luckily!

7. September 5, 2012 4:52 am

Vegas is fun. I think the next time I go, I’d like to spend it the way y’all did – outside the casinos and inside a spa! 🙂

• September 5, 2012 8:35 pm

I don’t know much about spas but I’ll definitely say that Vegas spas take it to a whole other level!

8. September 5, 2012 5:02 am

You are in the minority when it comes to having a vomit-free weekend in Vegas. Of this I am sure.

9. September 5, 2012 5:15 am

I have only ever been to Las Vegas for a dinner with friends and a quick car tour of The Strip on our way rambling down the highway several years ago and for about 20 minutes on our last trip when we took the wrong exit and ended up driving in circles for that 20 minutes. I’ve never really felt the urge to visit there. It would be fun to see some shows, but it’s too much glitz for me. But only an hour away? That might encourage me!

• September 5, 2012 8:35 pm

The glitz is great for about 48 hours. And then it’s time to go!

10. samanthaangela permalink
    September 5, 2012 5:37 am

The pools at Mandalay Bay are awesome. I’m not a gambler so it’s a good place to go in Vegas if you want something to do other than gamble during the day.

• September 5, 2012 8:36 pm

That’s why Ali made us stay there…otherwise I wanted to stay at the Mandarin!

11. September 5, 2012 7:25 am

i love that lazy river.

12. September 5, 2012 9:07 am

I LOVE Vegas! It’s like another world over there of fun and relaxation or whatever you want it to be and yet it’s so close. Bet that spa was amazing. I never gamble in Vegas either.

• September 5, 2012 8:36 pm

It is like another world…who knew that 4 miles of hotels could make you feel that way?

13. September 5, 2012 9:13 am

Oh that spa looks heavenly. No kid, no husband. Heavenly! 🙂
    Ali planned to eat around the hair found in his food?… speechless…

14. September 5, 2012 9:25 am

I stayed at The Hotel a few years ago and it was pretty swanky, but I am pretty easy to please. Did you see any Cirque shows? “O” is sooooo good, but really you can’t go wrong with any of them.

• September 5, 2012 8:37 pm

We didn’t see any Cirque shows this time because they all started a bit late. Too late for early birds like us!

15. September 5, 2012 9:45 am

I love that picture of Maya, and the one of you and Ali. Going home is definitely a “back to reality” feeling when it comes to Vegas. I don’t blame you for going to bed early. I’m not a real “night life” person, so I was never up late the times I’ve been there either. I have enough fun with the daytime and early evening activities.
    Looks like a fun trip! Can’t wait to live vicariously through you again…soon? Any trips planned?

• September 5, 2012 8:38 pm

So glad that I’m not the only one going to be early Jenna…and thanks for the compliment!

I’m hoping for a trip to New York this month…let’s see if I can make it happen!

16. The Mom Chef permalink
    September 5, 2012 9:55 am

I’ve never been to Vegas and honestly can’t stay it’s on my list of top 50 spots to visit before I die. Maybe if it was an hour away I’d see it differently. And maybe if I’d get that free spa thing to boot. 🙂

• September 5, 2012 2:14 pm

“Ditto” to the first sentence. Well, actually, just Ditto.

• September 5, 2012 8:39 pm

I actually think it’s worth at least one visit. It’s just so extraordinary to see all these amazing hotels in the middle of the desert. Try to visit at least once! And book with Amex so you get free perks. 🙂

17. September 5, 2012 10:15 am

I could really use a vacation right about now. Vegas is so much fun, and looks like you enjoyed it thoroughly.

• September 5, 2012 8:39 pm

I hope you get a vacation…leave the baby with your hubby!

18. September 5, 2012 10:23 am

..overall it sounded like a pretty relaxing trip for you Ameena, of course minus the hair incident. You know if everything goes well, then theres no fun! you always need some action but sadly in this case was hair 😛

• September 5, 2012 8:40 pm

There’s always “a hair” in some form, right? In the grand scheme of things it was nothing…although I’m grateful it was Ali’s food and not mine. 🙂

19. September 5, 2012 10:35 am

LOVE IT! The hubster and I are desperately due for a weekend away. Maybe we’ll follow in your footsteps and hop over to Vegas? Hubster, I hope you’re reading this!

• September 5, 2012 8:40 pm

Why not hop over to LA to visit us? Much better idea. 🙂

20. September 5, 2012 10:39 am

I am glad you had some relaxing time with Maya and VEGAS…. I stayed at The Hotel when I was there, can’t say that I liked much about vegas but since you found a way to relax maybe I would too… wait isn’t Hawaii close too? (trying to root for maya here)
    BTW> I want to know what Maya is wearing here, I want my Maya to be this well dressed, can I please buy your used clothes?

• September 5, 2012 8:41 pm

Maya is wearing one of the pretty dresses my MIL buys in bulk for her. Seriously, I want Maya’s wardrobe so I know what you mean…

21. September 5, 2012 10:43 am

I’m off to Vegas next week and I plan to spend my trip like you! (Mostly) great food, sleep early, up early, swim, relax and NO gambling! Sounds like a nice weekend getaway with the family!

22. September 5, 2012 12:05 pm

You may very well be the only person to ever wake up at 5:15 in Vegas, but at least I’m sure there was still PLENTY going on then to keep you entertained. I’m glad you had a relaxing and puke-free weekend!

• September 5, 2012 8:42 pm

I had to wait until my lazy family woke up so I did yoga and then some work. Pretty sure nobody else in Vegas was following in my footsteps. 🙂

23. September 5, 2012 12:52 pm

Sounds like fun 🙂

24. September 5, 2012 2:15 pm

Sounds like a pretty fantastic wknd! Cute picture of y’all 🙂

Katie

PS – glad you didnt actually need the barf bag!

• September 5, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks Katie. And lucky for all of us no barf bag was needed….

25. September 5, 2012 2:27 pm

Never been to Vegas and nothing I’ve heard, read or ‘seen’ excites me about it. Sympathies to my husband if any, (strictly about this, lol ) are completely understandable.

You look lovelier with each new pic. This one with Ali should get into a frame, I think. Seems like Maya had loadsa fun. She’s looking taller and no, I’m not confusing her for the one on stilts 🙂

• September 5, 2012 8:43 pm

You are too sweet. Thank you for the compliment! And really, I think you should visit Vegas at least once. It is really impressive…but after 48 hours I’m usually ready to go!

26. September 5, 2012 2:31 pm

You actually just made Vegas sound relaxing. I didn’t know that was possible.

• September 5, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes…I can make even the most exciting place on earth a bit dull. It’s one of my few talents…

27. September 5, 2012 4:15 pm

That spa sounds and looks divine! I have, incredulously, never been to Vegas. It always seems to far (from Boston) and now that bachelorette parties are pretty much a thing of the past, I always thought that ship had sailed. You make Vegas look very doable as an adult!

• September 5, 2012 8:44 pm

if I lived in Boston I’d hit up NYC every weekend…why fly to Vegas when you can go to the best city ever in one hour?

28. September 5, 2012 4:36 pm

Everything sounds delicious…but mostly the SPA!

29. September 5, 2012 5:52 pm

What a great getaway, though I had to laugh about Ali opting to eating around a hair in his food. Typical guy mentality.

• September 5, 2012 8:45 pm

I feel better knowing this is a “guy mentality” and not an “Ali mentality…”

30. September 5, 2012 7:43 pm

awww, so happy to hear you had a relaxing weekend!!!

31. September 5, 2012 9:21 pm

I am always in bed early when in Vegas … the heat and all the walking is tiring!

32. September 5, 2012 11:29 pm

That’s a very interesting post Ameena. I wonder what i would do in vegas since I don’t gamble and I am quite nocturnal. But it’s good to know that you had a fun filled weekend

• September 7, 2012 3:52 pm

There is lots to do, even if you don’t gamble. You should definitely make a trip!

33. September 6, 2012 12:12 am

Ameena, dear,

I have just read myself current with your blogs and they are the best ever as usual. I’ve missed you so much! I am back and blogging again. Lets hope nothing knocks me down again, not too soon anyway. 🙂 Glad you had a nice time in Vegas and that you could relax. Take great care, look forward to normalcy again, which included reading your blog regularly! :Hahahaha.

Shauna

• September 7, 2012 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for the compliment! It’s great to see you commenting again…hope that you have a great weekend, filled with normalcy. 🙂

34. September 6, 2012 7:01 am

I laughed like a nutso when I read the part where Ali planned to eat around that hair. I feel it’s moments like these that just embody who someone is, right? (And I can see Peter doing the same thing). It sounds like this trip was a success, particularly as you got a chance to relax for once! I’ve only been to Vegas once (approximately 12 hours, just a place to stay overnight on the way to somewhere else) but I’d love to check it out again.

Just want to say I love your hair in that last pic — chic!

• September 7, 2012 3:54 pm

Thank you for the compliment and the comment. You should definitely make another – slightly longer – trip to Vegas. I think you would have a fantastic time checking it out properly.

35. September 6, 2012 11:53 am

I went to Vegas last year for the first time for 4-5 days with hubby, and felt I could spend another week there & not get bored. May be coming from Bangkok, I liked seeing a lively place with lots of people around than the dull Dallas I was here at. But I did everything in Vegas except relaxing & spa. Now THAT I’ve gotta remember to do next time!

I read your comment about booking with Amex for perks … didn’t know about it.. will check out. Good to know about that, and that you all had a nice weekend. When I was there I couldn’t imagine how parents brought their kids to Vegas … seeing all those posters around & the photos of girls those people give out on roads… guess staying any more than 48 hours would mean answering a lot of innocent, curious questions… 🙂

• September 7, 2012 3:55 pm

I agree…the posters were a bit in appropriate. I just kept hoping that Maya didn’t notice them! I didn’t get any questions (about that at least) so I think my hoping and praying worked. 🙂

36. September 7, 2012 4:52 am

I struggle with kid friendly vrs parent friendly. Sorry you didn’t come to NYC. Hope you do soon.

37. September 7, 2012 6:20 am

I haven’t been to Vegas for quite sometime, looks like a lot of new things there! Don’t worry, I think I will another person who will be awake at 5:15 am in Vegas as well. That Cafe place sounds interesting…do you think their bagel is gluten free since you actually didn’t get sick from eating it?

• September 7, 2012 3:55 pm

No, it wasn’t gluten-free. But as I slowly make progress on the infection causing my eczema I notice that I can tolerate gluten a little more. It’s such a relief!

38. September 7, 2012 6:52 am

I’ve never had much desire to go to Vegas, but I think you might just have sold me on it! I had no idea you could possibly take kids there!

• September 7, 2012 3:56 pm

It’s not my idea destination with a child but it works when you need something close and fun. The hotel pools are really fantastic!

39. September 7, 2012 2:07 pm

Maybe we should plan a trip with my daughter to Vegas too. Last time we went there, all we did was ate, shopped and walked a lot. This was before I had my little one.
    Even if you don’t like to gamble, Vegas has so much to do.
    Glad, you had fun.

• September 7, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree…there is lots to do in Vegas, even if you don’t gamble. Walking, eating, and shopping are great ways to pass the time on vacation!

40. Asuma permalink
    September 7, 2012 7:19 pm

Glad Maya had a more or less stable digestive tract this trip (but more than that, relieved you had time to breathe during the flights)!

• September 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Luckily the flight is just one hour! Best part of Vegas.

41. September 8, 2012 5:24 am

Sounds like you saw a side to Las Vegas that was unusual – but then, that’s Vegas isn’t it?!

• September 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Everything about Vegas is unusual! It’s a place like no other.

• September 11, 2012 7:56 pm

It sounds it! I must go sometime – but then, I must come to America too. So far, never been 😦

42. September 9, 2012 12:52 pm

I have never been to Vegas…but went to Atlantic City for the first time in 15+ years the other week. I was only there for part of a day and I’d say that I would not be interested in spending more time there…Vegas sounds a little friendlier (or at least that it markets itself better…).

• September 11, 2012 7:46 pm

I’ve never been to Atlantic City but people tell me Vegas is bigger and better? One day I will find out. 🙂

43. September 9, 2012 7:02 pm

If I went to Vegas, I would do all the stuff that you did.. including wake up at 4 !5 am to find out if I could exercise in the hotel gym or something. seems like you guys had a great time!

• September 11, 2012 7:47 pm

So nice to find another early riser who hits the gym on vacation. 🙂 Makes me feel less odd…

44. September 9, 2012 7:32 pm

sounds like a relaxing fun weekend. i really love vegas, the restaurants are sooooooooooo good. the weather is nyc is gorgeous this week… it’s a bit cooler and the sun is shining, it actually feels like northern california. hope you are doing well Ameena… I’ve taken a longer break… life took a different turn at the moment. 😦

• September 11, 2012 7:47 pm

I’m sorry…I hope all is well. Sent you an email!

45. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
    September 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I’ve oddly never been to Vegas but really want to go. Not to gamble but to stay in a fancy hotel, eat yummy food, play in the Lazy River, go to the spa (any spa will do), etc. And I want to see some shows. Maybe some day.

• September 11, 2012 7:48 pm

You should definitely go at some point. It’s an amazing place for a short time.

46. September 11, 2012 2:35 am

ROFL!!! Point number 4 in the ‘did’ list still has me laughing my head off!! And The Pen is a little much. You know there is a school in Chennai, India called The School? True story. One of my friends went there.

• September 11, 2012 7:49 pm

The School? No kidding…

Did your friend think the school lived up to it’s name?

• September 12, 2012 1:49 am

She quite liked it…they follow a very unorthodox method of teaching etc. I met her in college, and college was just college.

47. September 12, 2012 3:47 am

The spa looks awesome!
    Does he really perform with his middle finger up and expect a tip? 😀

• September 12, 2012 5:33 am

He really does! Crazy what some consider entertainment.

48. Bava Juice permalink
    September 14, 2012 10:13 am

Your article makes me want to go to vegas!

• September 14, 2012 1:45 pm

You should definitely go, if you haven’t been!

49. September 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Your hour flight is my 40 minute drive to the Ritz. My mother and I just spent a much needed day at the spa. Just long enough to realize it wasn’t long enough at all. Happy you were able to relax!

50. Gayatri permalink
    October 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Cool! We’re going to Vegas in Christmas week this post was just what I needed to read while planning the whole thing.

• October 31, 2012 8:47 pm