I really wanted to go to New York for Labor Day weekend but with my current work schedule I knew a trip across the country was out of the question. So instead we decided to hop over to Vegas again. With Maya.
Here’s what didn’t happen in Vegas:
- Despite my begging, we didn’t stay at the Mandarin Oriental, because Ali deemed it not kid-friendly enough.
- Aside from a few precarious minutes on the flight home (which involved me urgently searching the seat pocket for a barf bag), Maya didn’t throw up the entire weekend.
- We didn’t stay out past 10 pm.
- I was the only person in the entire city who woke up at 5:15 am.
- Neither Ali nor I gambled a single penny.
Here’s what did happen in Vegas:
- We ended up staying at The Hotel, which was much nicer than I expected, except that they carried their marketing ploy a little too far with The Café, The Store, and even The Pen. Yes, really.
- The Mandalay Bay’s “Lazy River” kept my husband and child occupied for hours on end.
- I had great sea bass at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill and the most fabulous bagel at The Cafe. Best part of all? I didn’t feel sick at all!
- Ali found a hair in his food at the Mandarin and planned to eat around it until I said I would throw up all over him if he did.
- Thanks to American Express’ generosity I went to The Bathhouse Spa. And for a change I actually relaxed.
Here’s the best thing about Vegas: When you’re done doing important things like watching the man “performing” outside of The Cosmopolitan Hotel with his middle finger up and a tip jar nearby? You can hop on a one hour flight and get back to reality.
And not a minute too soon.