a beam of light

August 29, 2012

I’ve known, for a while now, that something with lots of buttons and cables was going to make its way into our home.

This seemed inevitable because Ali hadn’t bought anything since a device he vaguely referred to as a “Media Player” suddenly appeared next to the TV a couple of months ago.

But then two weeks ago – a shipment of Cisco boxes. And a Sunday morning spent hooking up cables. And then an industrial eyesore under the television. With the bonus feature of a glaring blue light, which serves a secondary purpose as a beacon to guide one to the kitchen in the middle of the night.

• The phone rings randomly, nobody answers it.
  • The phone features video capability, nobody uses it.
  • This unit has a phone number, I do not know it.
  • The phone indicates there are voice mails, nobody checks them.

So I had to ask the obvious.

Me: “Does this phone need to be in such a prominent position in our living room?”

Ali: “It’s a demo unit. I need to demo it.”

Me: “You haven’t touched it since you installed it.”

Ali: “That’s not true. I did use it. Once.”

Me: “We’ve talked about this before. Just because a phone is available on the market, doesn’t mean you have to own it.”

Ali: “Actually, yes I do.”

It’s been days since this conversation and no progress has been made. Not sure where to go from here. If only the phone’s shiny beam could figuratively shed some light on the situation…

1. August 29, 2012 12:21 am

Maybe you should hide it and see if he even notices…might prove a point:)

• August 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Really good suggestion…and we all know that Ali doesn’t do search and rescue missions…

2. August 29, 2012 1:31 am

boys toys 🙂

3. August 29, 2012 3:46 am

lol…obsession! haha at least its useful as a night light. btw i love the tv trolley…very classy

4. August 29, 2012 4:22 am

Give it a few more days and you can probably throw it in a drawer and he’ll never know the difference. 😉

• August 29, 2012 8:32 pm

If it wasn’t so front and center I could totally do this…like I usually do…

5. August 29, 2012 4:48 am

This just reminded me! A cautionary tale…
    My brother-in-law loves techno crap. He bought this space age phone all full of intercom systems and crazy complications that my sister claims is from 2034. My sister refuses to learn how to work the phone. Husband tries to call her on it. She tries to answer, fumbles, gives up, proceeds to load songs on her ipod, put in her headphones, and take the dog for a walk. Her cell is dead and she’s walking so she doesn’t care. APPARRENTLY when she tried to answer the space phone, it sounded to her husband like a struggle was happenning in their home (because of all the I-have-no-idea-how-to-work-this-crap fumbling). He tried to call back but sister was oblivious because of the ipod and the walk. There had been workers in and out of their new house, so husband panicked and sent the sherriffs to the house. Sister returned from her happy walk to an empty house, immediately followed by two patrol cars, her father-in-law, and her husband screeching into the driveway. I could not make this stuff up. Annnnd I just gave you a really good reason to get rid of your light beaming future phone.

• August 29, 2012 8:34 pm

You have the best stories…seriously. I can’t even imagine how scary that must have been. Although I’m assuming that everyone is laughing about it now?? And hopefully the space age phone has been disposed of?

• August 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I can’t stop laughing every time my sister tells that story. She thinks it’s hilarious. Her husband was seriously terrified though. Space age phone got disconnected. It’s only current function is the page/intercom button, and that only gets used when my kids spend the night. It’s great fun to ring your aunt upstairs repeatedly when you’re nine.

6. August 29, 2012 5:42 am

Dealing with a similar situation over here…except underneath our TV is a huge computer system that allows us to do “cool” things. I’ll admit, it’s pretty useful in some ways…but it’s ugly!

I’ve already given up on the technology debates…and I’ve only been married two months!!

• August 29, 2012 8:34 pm

It only gets harder. Trust me, I’ve been married for 12 years!

7. hcoving permalink
    August 29, 2012 6:41 am

I am pretty sure if someone looked into it they would find that men have some sort of technology gene that makes it impossible to not buy the latest and greatest things.

8. August 29, 2012 7:00 am

Men and their gadgets. Ralph likes to buy the kind he has no idea how to use and not real interest in learning…Ugh!!

• August 29, 2012 8:35 pm

At least Ali can operate his gadgets. Most of the time. I’ll give him that!

9. August 29, 2012 7:11 am

Haha, this is too funny. But aren’t land lines extinct by now?

• August 29, 2012 8:36 pm

So so true. I just addressed this comment with Ali, however, and he said everyone should always have a land line for 911 purposes.

10. August 29, 2012 7:20 am

I have that same phone. on my desk. at work. tell him to take it to the office!!!

• August 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Ali can’t believe that you have this phone at work. Can you please share a picture of it? He’d like proof.

11. August 29, 2012 7:22 am

Love the coffee table, the rattan stools, the orchids and is that a Lahiri book I see ? And the phone ?…………….of course, right there! The phone is taking up abt as much eye space as the photo frame to the left is. Just saying…

• August 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I have a variety of Lahiri books but not in my living room.

As far as the frame goes…it is pretty! And it is accessorizing my home! I can’t say the same about the phone. 🙂

12. August 29, 2012 8:04 am

You room reminds me of my beach villa in Maldives, it has similarities to the picture posted above. I think to brighten up the last you do need some tech gadgets here and there, and that picture of your room needs to tech-spice. Sorry – I’m with Ali on this one.

• August 29, 2012 8:45 pm

I’m sort of trying to get past the fact that you have a beach villa in Maldives…

• August 30, 2012 11:30 am

I don’t have it or own it, but it’s the one I stayed at in my last holiday to that island in Maldives.

13. August 29, 2012 8:54 am

A giant land line sitting in front of the TV that nobody uses. NICE!!! He’ll grow tired of pretending he’s going to use it eventually!

14. August 29, 2012 9:01 am

It does look ugly. Looks too industrial to be in the living room. I feel for you Ameena. Can Ali move it into his office room/space?

• August 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Ali has a giant office at work…not sure why he won’t take it there? I guess it wouldn’t bother me there and that’s why…

15. August 29, 2012 9:15 am

people still use phones connected to walls? haha…hopefully, the demo will be short lived and you can take back your ‘entertainment centre’ ;p

• August 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes, apparently they do. For a technie Ali is a bit disappointing, isn’t he?

16. August 29, 2012 9:56 am

hahaha! sounds like something forrest would do! he loves putting the silliest things around in our living room while i’m not home and crossing his fingers that i never notice it. i always do 🙂

• August 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Of course you do! It’s still funny that men think otherwise.

17. The Mom Chef permalink
    August 29, 2012 10:34 am

I see doors directly under that phone. I’ll bet if you shoved it in that cabinet, he’d never notice. Problem solved.

• August 29, 2012 8:56 pm

He’d notice. He wouldn’t be able to find it but he’d notice!

18. August 29, 2012 10:35 am

Hmm, there’s no way that the phone could conveniently “disappear” while the cleaning is being done? Ha!

• August 29, 2012 8:57 pm

It’s been done before…but not when the item in question has been in such a prominent position for several weeks…

19. Jessie E. permalink
    August 29, 2012 11:33 am

Oh my gosh, as usual, you’ve hit the nail right on the head! It’s amazing how many “useful” gadgets men bring into the home. Bonus points for single-use/no obvious use items. Peter is the exact same way, only his gadgets are cooking-related, which sounds really cool until you realize that the fifty-pound chocolate tempering machine is taking up the only available counter space left and you’re forced to chop carrots with your head in the kitchen cabinet.

I sympathize!

• August 29, 2012 8:57 pm

A fifty-pound tempering machine? Suddenly Ali’s phone seems unobtrusive.

20. August 29, 2012 11:39 am

Sometimes that beacon of light to help you see in the middle of the night is just So. Needed. If nothing else, it’s an expensive night light!

• August 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes well I’m really trying to see the silver lining here…quite literally.

21. August 29, 2012 11:49 am

I think it’s clear that the one phone call he made on the fancy new phone was an important one, and it required a brand new device. I mean geez Ameena. 🙂

• August 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes, how could I be so non-understanding? (Is that even a word? Too lazy to think of a better one, sorry).

22. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
    August 29, 2012 2:15 pm

I say go out and buy some overpriced pair of shoes (preferably heels) you’ve been eying…and stick them right next to the phone under the tv. If Ali asks why they are located in such a prominent position in your home, tell him you are demo-ing them. And yes, you have to, even if you just wear them once.

• August 29, 2012 7:20 pm

This comment made me cackle out loud. Excellent idea!

I was going to say that he could have at the very least taken it off it’s upright stand and let it sit flat.

• August 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Love it! So smart. The only thing is that Ali always wants me to spend money on things like shoes but I’m too cheap to do so and too lazy to go shopping. 🙂

Still. This had me cracking up too!

23. August 29, 2012 2:23 pm

I think you should make a really pretty, pink, lacy doily for the phone. Maybe with flowers. And bows. And GLITTER.

If he protests, tell him, “what? I’m trying to be supportive and make your technology feel at home!” Can’t argue with that, now can he? 😉

• August 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Glitter would really set him over the edge. Love the idea!

24. August 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Oh my, I could see if it were a Roku or apple TV but a phone? Right there? At least he is continuing to give you great ideas for blog posts 😉

• August 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Roku? I need to go Google that.

And yes, again I should be appreciative that I had something entertaining (hopefully) to write about…

25. Lady Jennie permalink
    August 30, 2012 4:51 am

You would be bored with a more docile husband. 😉

• August 31, 2012 7:20 am

Maybe. But things would have been predictable which isn’t necessarily a bad thing…

26. August 30, 2012 8:25 am

Well, it’s a good thing he’s a tech guy and not an interior designer! 🙂

• August 31, 2012 7:20 am

True. But I really need an interior designer right now!!

27. August 30, 2012 8:29 am

Oh the beam of light – just like Chinese water torture. I feel your pain, unfortunately. We recently bought a car that my husband cannot seem to stop ‘upgrading’. It’s been fun for him. Just him.

• August 31, 2012 7:21 am

How does one upgrade the car AFTER purchase? So curious…

• August 31, 2012 7:45 am

Car. seat. covers. Don’t ask.

• August 31, 2012 7:46 am

Adding detail here and there and everywhere. Don’t get me started. 🙂

28. August 30, 2012 11:05 am

Forget the rest of this post, you too own the Domino Book of Design.

Soulmate.

• August 31, 2012 7:21 am

Is it not the prettiest coffee table book out there? I fell in love with the color…

29. August 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Omgosh,
    I’d put that thing outta site, girl!! I dont’ care what kind of light it shed on the situation.
    it is exsactly like the phone in our school office.

It. Is. Uuuuuuuuuuuuugly!!!

• August 31, 2012 7:22 am

I’m going to read this to Ali…so he knows that your Cisco phone is at your office!

30. August 30, 2012 7:13 pm

((SIGHT))) I mean.

31. August 31, 2012 5:34 am

We had that same phone back in the day before Glenn had to pack up all the Cisco gear and send it back. He would always point it out to me in the movies, guys love their tech. I don’t see any wires so that’s good.

• August 31, 2012 7:22 am

You’d be scared to see the number of wires behind that media shelf thing. It’s quite terrifying…

32. August 31, 2012 8:36 am

I hate this Cisco unit… Can u believe it is in my Bedroom… LOL
    And it is never used… Like may be once or twice… God these men really need a different career…LOL

33. August 31, 2012 9:04 am

Men and gadgets. My husband has made it his mission to own every single smartpad. So I feel your pain.

34. August 31, 2012 6:27 pm

Haha what is it w/ men and technology!

35. September 1, 2012 6:28 am

After a month or so, just move it. he wont notice that its gone.

36. September 2, 2012 8:38 am

I also vote for hiding it since he may never notice, and soon new toys will distract him further, then you are rid of the thing once and for all.

37. September 2, 2012 9:01 pm

lol beacon for the kitchen hahah thats probably the best use of that 😀

38. September 4, 2012 1:40 am

Haha oh boy that flashiness light would do my head in! One of my biggest reliefs of switching to an iPhone was not having to face that damn flashing red light every time I got a notification on my Blackberry…so little yet SO distracting!

39. September 9, 2012 7:35 pm

ali is funny. i will never understand men and technology, i guess it’s like women and fashion.

• September 10, 2012 5:32 am

Ali loves his Cisco phone way more than I love my Paige jeans! 🙂

40. September 11, 2012 2:08 am

Hahaha! Boys and their gadgets. I love your collection of tomes- I can see Chanel there. Love the use of the tray on the coffee table! See, I noticed these things despite the black phone being there. I’m sure others will too.

41. September 12, 2012 3:53 am

Ali sounds like my son – in – law! Just has to have it!
    But it doesn’t look that bad. Bad…..but not too much 😀