lax – lhr

June 27, 2012

Do you know what I hear right now?

Absolutely nothing.

I don’t hear Ali tapping on his keyboard or snoring in my ear or asking me what is quite possibly the most annoying question in the world: “What can I snack on?”

I don’t hear Maya begging for a dog named Darwin or demanding a play date with some random girl we met at the mall 6 weeks ago. And I certainly don’t hear her asking me the second most annoying question in the world: “What can I eat if I’m still hungry?”

Why don’t I hear any of these things? Well because Maya and Ali are currently in London.

And in case you’re wondering, I’m still recovering from a packing marathon that involved me rolling Ali and Maya’s clothes to minimize wrinkles and maximize space.

Why did I pack for my husband you ask? Well he was busy in his own right, strategizing for hours about how best to fit the iPad, his laptop, the video camera, his Windows Mobile something or another, and his vast collection of toothpaste. To avoid breakage/loss of course.

And while I’m admittedly jealous my family is frolicking in an English park while I work 10 + hour days, I have to say, I’m sort of having my own little vacation right now. Because…

• I eat what I want, when I want.
  • I get to work at 7:30 am and score the most amazing parking spot.
  • There isn’t a single dish in the sink. Not one.

And if that wasn’t enough, tonight, when I breeze through airport security without having to coordinate Ali’s electronics, Maya’s shoe removal, and more of Ali’s electronics? When I board my own flight to London with just my carry-on, my laptop, and my Bose noise cancelling headphones?

I’ll have 11 hours of peace and quiet ahead of me. I can’t wait.

1. June 27, 2012 12:15 am

Yay!! Enjoy your trip and the serenity of being alone!!

2. June 27, 2012 12:37 am

Woo hooo for space & serenity…and of course your upcoming trip to London! I’m so excited for you (and also kinda jealous)! Where will you guys be staying? It’s too bad you guys won’t be there in August- that’s when I’m going and it would have been great to meet up :)!

• June 27, 2012 7:35 pm

We will be in the city for part of the trip and then in Worchester for a wedding. So sorry we missed each other!

3. June 27, 2012 12:52 am

I’m guessing you also enjoy dentist appointments for the enforced rest and relaxation while your teeth are being cleaned?

4. June 27, 2012 1:37 am

Haha, have fun!

And Maya’s lost her front teeth! Cute.

5. June 27, 2012 4:12 am

No in-flight puking either. Have a good trip Ameena! 🙂

6. June 27, 2012 4:15 am

Can’t say your return flight will be as quiet, enjoy..

• June 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Nope…that flight will be me + Maya. Ali will have his turn at peace and quiet!

7. June 27, 2012 4:46 am

It’s great to be on your own sometimes, isn’t it? Looking forward to hearing your adventures in London!

8. June 27, 2012 4:54 am

Ahh sheer bliss! The clear sink alone would have done it for me too. Safe travels Ameena!

9. June 27, 2012 4:54 am

What a sweet sweet picture of Maya! I completely cherish my alone time. I’m not sure I’d know quite what to do if I didn’t have to feed the three bears everyday. We are in total agreement on the annoying eating questions. Nothing drives me crazier than preparing what I think is a totally awesome meal and an hour later hearing someone crackling a pretzel bag in my kitchen when they think the coast is clear. Have a safe and happy trip!

• June 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh yes…I know what you mean. Except that I hear the Magic Bullet instead of the pretzel bag. It confuses me. Greatly.

10. samanthaangela permalink
    June 27, 2012 5:25 am

Sometimes being alone in the house is just blissful isn’t it?

11. June 27, 2012 5:36 am

So you won’t be trudging along the aisle, backpacks hanging on either shoulder overflowing with random toys, candy, blankie ….. dropping stuff along the way…….bending to pick ’em up, while knocking others’ stuff with said backpacks, noisy kids on either side………..None of that. Just one posh carry on luggage and a stylish handbag gliding along the way ! Enjoy the solitude Ameena and Happy Journey 🙂

• June 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Not sure about the poshness of my luggage but I’m pretty sure the rest is spot on. Thanks MWAD. 🙂 Love this comment.

12. June 27, 2012 7:30 am

I can so relate to this post Ameena! When I worked for a Swiss company I went to Europe a lot (from SF). People used to ask me how I could stand it, and I’d always say it’s the biggest chunk of “me” time I get! Have a wonderful trip!

• June 27, 2012 7:39 pm

I would love to travel for work! Talk about a great jog Stacie…so curious why you aren’t there any longer? 🙂

• June 29, 2012 9:38 am

I was there 7 years, loved it, and then got a bad boss (new hire) and became miserable. Then I was at smaller companies in the Bay Area and traveled some but not as much. As of two years ago, I’m a real Housewife of NJ, ha! I miss the travel but now am closer to Europe and hope to go on vacation (although that won’t be business class, boo!).

• June 30, 2012 10:02 am

The proximity to Europe is one of my favorite things about the East Coast!

Bummer on the business class though. 😦

13. June 27, 2012 8:26 am

Awesome! A home alone staycation. I’m sure that feels so good; almost like living alone. Enjoy it! Let Ali deal with Maya’s vomit this time!! I’m sure you can make it to London on the next Jaunt.

14. June 27, 2012 8:50 am

Ha, I know what you mean! Family is great, but sometimes a little solitude is appreciated!

15. June 27, 2012 9:22 am

Isn’t me time the best! I found it to be a strange turn of events when I went from dreading long flights, pre-kids, to relishing one post-kid if I was alone. All that time to read, listen to music, and form an actual complete thought in my head. Heaven! Enjoy your flight and London.

• June 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Same here! I used to hate flying but now I just hate flying with kids. Or I don’t hate it…but I don’t love it either. 🙂

16. June 27, 2012 9:25 am

jealous! i would love to sit on a plane for multiple hours, just sitting. no talking, no explaining, nothing! safe travels and enjoy your London adventure 🙂

17. June 27, 2012 9:49 am

I’m curious…are you bringing Sarah’s Key with you? Also, glad to hear the left ahead of you so you can better enjoy the flight. I want to give you a giant list of things to do and see, but I trust you will have your own fun. I’m jealous that you’re going to London of all places, and I know it will be a great time!

• June 27, 2012 7:41 pm

I am bringing it…actually Jenna, I started it and so far I really like it. It’s way easier to get into than Cutting for Stone.

18. June 27, 2012 10:00 am

How fun! Enjoy London. And I know exactly what you mean because my house is spotless Mon – Thu. But as soon as my husband gets home on Thursday night, everything goes for a toss each week. I mean, once the coffee table was gone, he turned our laundry basket upside down and plonked his cereal on it.

• June 27, 2012 7:42 pm

That is hysterical. Oddly enough, Ali would likely do the SAME thing! And of course I wouldn’t find it so funny then….

19. June 27, 2012 10:02 am

Amen! I totally get this whole silence-love thing now that I have no silence 🙂 Have a fantastic trip, friend (or better yet, a fantastic flight) 🙂

20. Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles permalink
    June 27, 2012 10:20 am

Ah, how divine. Wave to the Duchess for me…you know, if you happen to bump into her. I am so glad you were able to get some undisturbed peace and quiet! Apparently Ali needs to sign himself up for more international travel this summer…with Maya of course!

• June 27, 2012 7:43 pm

I will certainly wave to the Dutchess if I see her. I once saw the royal family during a random parade. It was surreal.

21. June 27, 2012 10:21 am

I had to read the toothpaste post just for some extra fun. I’ll text you what I think about it.

On another note – I am so excited to go to NY by myself just for that long plane ride.

• June 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Any trip to NY is so exciting…a trip alone? I wouldn’t be able to handle it I think.

22. June 27, 2012 10:35 am

you are living the dream right now, woman!!!! have a blast on london.
    lovely pic of Maya 🙂

23. The Mom Chef permalink
    June 27, 2012 10:43 am

Ah yes, as I’m circled by my own little kiddo asking random, mean-nothing questions, I feel myself turning green with envy. Very green. That day of silence is worth the packing marathon. I’d pack for Ali and Maya if it means I could have it. Ah, dancing along with the commentary. Wonderful. See what I mean?

• June 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes…the silence was worth the packing marathon. Good point!!

24. June 27, 2012 11:27 am

I have a feeling Ali is going to be dead tired when he returns… I’m laughing on the inside about it… 🙂

• June 27, 2012 7:45 pm

He said the flight went well! No vomit of course. Maya saves that for me. 🙂

25. June 27, 2012 11:27 am

Can’t you send them ahead on the return trip as well? 🙂 Have a great time in London

• June 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Its me + Maya on the return. Ali gets to have a break! Lucky him. 🙂

26. June 27, 2012 11:33 am

Have a great flight and enjoy all the free time while you can 🙂

27. June 27, 2012 12:30 pm

woo hoo for peace! are you excited about the trip? is it work or play? i hope the latter 🙂

• June 27, 2012 7:46 pm

We are going for a wedding and then we’re checking out Belgium afterwards. I am very excited!

28. June 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Ugh, I hate that question (“what can I snack on?”) – figure it out yourself!!?

29. June 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Bon voyage, Ameena! 🙂

30. Farina permalink
    June 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Lol! Have a safe trip ameena! Salam to chottu Bhai and everyone !

31. June 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I love that toothless photo of her, enjoy the silence and get enough rest to have energy for London, and safe travels.

32. June 27, 2012 3:05 pm

hahaha my dad always asks my mom what he can snack on. In fact, I nearly died last night when she brought him some crackers to snack on and he said, “you hardly put any butter on these.” I really don’t know how she does it. 🙂

Have a fun trip – and enjoy the peace and quiet.

• June 27, 2012 7:48 pm

That sounds like a total Ali comment. So curious what your mom said in return? I need tips on how to handle these situations…

33. June 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Ameena, when I read about this 11 hour flight of yours, I thought “It’s Christmas In June!” I hope that you enjoy the peace, the quiet, the ability to travel without a posse and the prospect of a landing that doesn’t involve a sick bag. Have fun in London, friend!

• June 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks Kat. 🙂 I’m hoping for all of the same things.

34. June 27, 2012 6:06 pm

oh i’m soooooooooo jealous. i love london. enjoy yourself and the 11 hour journey. OMG, Ameena if you get this in time, see if you can try Paul’s Hot Chocolate, it’s a London chain, but they have the most delicious thick liquid hot chocolate… Maya will love it for sure. Have a safe trip. 🙂

35. June 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hope you enjoyed your peace and amazing parking spot :). Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

Katie

36. June 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Sounds like heaven! I can’t even imagine- a house to myself!

• June 27, 2012 7:50 pm

I home that someone gives you some alone time soon my friend…

37. Asuma permalink
    June 28, 2012 1:55 am

Nice 🙂 Pretty sume my mum needs that as well…so I’m glad she’s coming over to visit me (I’m in Sydney and she lives in Bangladesh at the moment; my mum’s from Japan and dad’s from Bangladesh and hence why :P)!!! Mum & daughter, relaxation time.

• June 30, 2012 10:03 am

What a unique combination you are Asuma….no wonder you are so gorgeous!

• Asuma permalink
        June 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Awww thank you, that’s so sweet of you 🙂

38. June 28, 2012 2:56 am

So impressed how you figured this solo flight out, well done.

39. June 28, 2012 3:17 pm

o0o you are so lucky!!! and maya is so cute with her two missing teeth!

• June 30, 2012 10:04 am

I think she’s missing 3 in the front! All at once. 🙂

40. June 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I can relate. Enjoy it while it lasts. Have a safe trip to London & back. So jealous 🙂

41. emartinodonnell permalink
    June 28, 2012 7:20 pm

I looove having the house to myself. So incredible. Enjoy it!

• June 30, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Emily! And really good to “see” you after so long. 🙂

42. June 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Lol
    Happy vacations Ameena! The weather would be super in England right now. Have fun.

43. June 29, 2012 6:35 am

I relish time alone, I am surprised you just didn’t decide to have a staycation. Have a great time in London. Maybe you could swing a solo flight home as well 🙂

• June 30, 2012 10:05 am

I love staycations, but when presented with scones in London or catching up on my laundry I’m sure you can see why I chose the way I did. 🙂

44. SIL permalink
    June 29, 2012 12:12 pm

HR just told us we get to leave work at noon on Tuesday (before 4th of July). I’m not telling anyone and I am going to go to the movies (one of my favorite things to do) and then I’m getting a deep conditioning scalp massage (also one of my favorite things to do). I wish the Hubby would go on more trips without me for the shear fact that I can eat what I want when I want! Have so much fun on your trip!!

• June 30, 2012 10:06 am

I’ve never had a scalp massage! What a great idea…I could totally use one now that I know they exist. 🙂

Enjoy your Tuesday SIL!!

45. June 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Have a great time in England- I’m beyond jealous! Good luck on the flight back. I hope Maya’s digestive system spares you. 🙂

46. June 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Have a great time in London! Have some strawberries and cream for me!

• June 30, 2012 10:07 am

I think I’ve had enough for me, you, and most of Los Angeles so far. 🙂

47. anywherethereisanairport permalink
    June 30, 2012 5:40 pm

You alone time reminds me that mine is ending… The Spaniard officially moves to the U.S. on Tuesday. Ahhhh!

I wish you a wonderful London adventure! Perhaps your return flight will be overbooked and they will ask 1 person to take the flight one hour later. *your hand raises*

• July 1, 2012 2:54 pm

Tuesday! Congratulations…this has been a long time coming for you two!

48. June 30, 2012 9:31 pm

enjoy my love!

49. July 1, 2012 10:42 pm

I hope you are enjoying your time in London. I just got back from all my travels, so I am happy to not have any security checks, packing or other travel relate things right now…and I am back in my bed and at home with Ryan. But the traveling was good and I saw lots of amazing things. Now I have some down time and then more travel.

50. July 2, 2012 5:02 am

Oh enjoy it.
    I’d run around the house in my underwear.
    Meh, who needs underwear.

51. July 2, 2012 11:19 pm

Have fun in London…this is one of my fave places in the universe. what do you do for a living, Ameena?

Xx