arrangements

June 22, 2012

Summer. Vacation.

If there were ever two words that put the fear of God in me, it’s those two.

Here’s what I know about summer vacation:

• We are two days into it.
  • I’m ready for it to be over.
  • I hate the lack of structure.
  • No matter how many activities I organize for a certain someone I keep hearing “I’m bored, what should I do next?”
  • I am and will continue to be cooking for and cleaning up after Maya constantly.
  • Despite the stupidity of the term, play dates are crucial.
  • I am and will continue to scramble around trying to make 100 different arrangements thanks to abbreviated summer camp hours.
  • I will realize – once again – that I should have provided Maya with a sibling, simply so that she could have built-in entertainment.
  • Then I’ll realize – once again – that in that case I’d have to scramble around making arrangements for TWO kids.
  • At some point I’ll exhaust my contact list and will beg Ali to watch Maya so I can actually go to work.

Here’s what I also know about summer: it doesn’t affect my husband in the least. He doesn’t worry about calendars and schedules. He doesn’t worry about alternate arrangements or coordination of any kind.

If I wasn’t so busy making arrangements I might have time to find Ali’s Computer Lab funny.

As a matter of fact, he continues to do what he wants, when he wants, how he wants.

So why does he get away with this? That’s what I want to know.

1. June 22, 2012 12:20 am

Hmm, what do you think would happen if you ceased to make arrangements? Would he step up or would Maya actually suffer?
    If only kids were like cats-have two and they entertain each other. Come to think of it if kids were like cats you’d probably have to beg them to pay attention to you…

• June 22, 2012 8:15 pm

If I had to hazard a guess I’d say that Maya might actually suffer. Although, she could probably use a little suffering in her life…

2. June 22, 2012 1:58 am

Haha summer holidays are like a prank schools play on parents! If all fails, there’s always one more solution: it starts with a “G”, followed by “R-A-N-D-P-A-R-E-N-T-S”! Good luck, my friend!

• June 22, 2012 8:16 pm

If only Maya’s grandparents weren’t so far away/often out of town!!

3. June 22, 2012 3:08 am

Maya sounds like me. My mum recalls how I used to bug her every second asking her what I should next. Dont you have summer camps for kids ? I am sending my daughter to one that starts soon.

• June 22, 2012 8:16 pm

We do have summer camp but it doesn’t start for a few weeks…I can’t wait!

4. June 22, 2012 3:22 am

So you say, “Ali…Maya is your responsibility today,” and walk out the door! Then of course, you’d have to be sure he didn’t have to go to work, and them make arrangements for yourself…Or you could get Maya a puppy! 😉 That’s quite a computer lab!

• June 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Sometimes I think that dogs are harder than kids because they never grow up!

5. June 22, 2012 3:31 am

Men tend to function and work (as they should do) under pressure, or some times sheer pressure. In the scenario above – as a man, I would highly recommend you land Maya into Ali’s lap, grab your shades, hand bag and car keys, and as you walk out of the door say “have fun” and go and do what ever you want.

• June 22, 2012 8:19 pm

I could do that…but then I’d be feeling guilty and sad that Maya is likely watching TV or playing on the iPad the entire time I’m gone!

6. June 22, 2012 3:46 am

3 words, sleep away camp. My boys leave today for 7 weeks. I understand this is a very NY/East coast thing but it’s fine with me.

• June 22, 2012 8:19 pm

I think it is an East coast thing because I don’t know of anyone here who does that. So jealous!

7. June 22, 2012 4:21 am

Two is easier than one… until they start fighting. When my boys say they’re bored I make them clean things. So they don’t really say that much anymore. When I was still working full time I would solicit friends and family for chunks of time; a week at my mom’s, a week with my sister… a week at art camp. I don’t know what to tell you about Ali’s life going on as always though. That’s one of life’s big mysteries.

• June 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I love the idea of making Maya clean things when she claims she’s bored. I’m going to give this a shot!!

8. June 22, 2012 4:32 am

bahahahaha! best computer lab ever!

9. June 22, 2012 5:02 am

I don’t like lack of structure, either. So OCD. Vacation to me means, instead of every detail of my schedule planned, I at least need to ask “so what are the main few things we’re doing today?”

Fly by the seat of my pants? The horror.

• June 22, 2012 8:21 pm

The horror is right. I am incapable of flying by the seat of my pants.

10. June 22, 2012 6:17 am

Oh summer vacation 🙂
    Nice computer lab!

Katie

11. June 22, 2012 7:08 am

Now I totally understand why my mom was so happy when i would go with my friends to summer camp.

• June 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Why don’t we have AWAY summer camps in CA? I haven’t heard of any…

12. June 22, 2012 7:08 am

I assume your question re: Ali was rhetorical…

Summer vacation starts for my kids today. Honestly, I’m not looking forward to it, because my kids don’t so much play together as fight each other. As I type this, my kids are asking me to make pancakes (absolutely not – have a million errands to run), and my daughter is threatening to not eat all day (as IF!). *sigh*

• June 22, 2012 8:22 pm

I love that she’s threatening that SHE won’t eat all day, as though that’s going to be YOUR problem?

Rhetorical question? Unfortunately yes.

13. Aisha permalink
    June 22, 2012 10:00 am

Ameena, I feel for you and me at this time. I have been looking at tons of different schedules to keep them busy. So I got them all registered and felt sooooooooo good that I got it covered………but guess what? I am the one taking them all day to each different class not sure if that worked in my favor. Good Luck

• June 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks Aisha…I can’t even shuttle Maya anywhere because I’m at work! After reading your comment I actually think that’s a good thing. 🙂

14. June 22, 2012 10:26 am

I can so relate to this post Ameena! But don’t be so sure about the sibling thing–often they bicker instead of playing together!

• June 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Good point. But for the most part I feel like two kids might keep each other busy? Or maybe that’s just in a perfect world…

15. June 22, 2012 10:33 am

I don’t understand parents who AREN’T living in fear of summer vacation. I’m sure I was a total pill all summer when I was a kid….probably through college. No wonder I always went away to camp. 😉 PS, I love your entertainment center/console! Especially since Ali classed it up so much.

• June 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks Megan. Ali “classes” up everything. 🙂 Maya does too!

16. June 22, 2012 11:30 am

If only I had graduated on time, I could be helping you handle the chaos while Ali continues to play with his technology. For the sake of your readership and stories, I vote yes on two children. As for your sanity, I vote no. 😛

• June 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Can you imagine how much more blog material I would have with two kids? I’d never run out of things to write!

17. June 22, 2012 12:39 pm

oh man, when you said summer vacation, i was like where is Ameena off to, I wanna know!!! 🙂 So funny! Aww.. I know it must be hard to entertain a kid, after 5 minutes of playing with my cousin’s daughter, i’m like OMG, I need me time. My brother always sent the kids to camp, at least it helps them learn doing whatever they do. Ali’s computer is HILARIOUS!!! That’s 5 gadgets connected.

• June 22, 2012 8:26 pm

I feel the same way with kids…after 5 minutes I am sort of at odds on what to do next! So really, not sure I’m qualified to be a parent. 🙂

18. June 22, 2012 12:54 pm

My “computer lab” is similar but instead of two laptops, I have a laptop and a desktop next to each other. You know, there’s always summer “away” camp for Maya. Though, that could lead to outdoorsy type issues: dust, bugs, and Maya coming home with craft projects made from sticks.

• June 22, 2012 8:27 pm

We don’t have away summer camps on the West Coast. Or none that I’ve heard of anyway.

I’m going to have to investigate this further. 🙂

19. June 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Ameena, I am so with you, today is the official 1st day fro my 6 yr old and I am already Done…
    Summer camps are not an easy solution and my son has a younger brother but trust me it adds to the whole lot of drama….
    So hang in my dear and start crossing the dates… B/W not only my hubby has a computer lab he is travelling the whole summer… Tell me about Family Time..LOL

• June 22, 2012 8:28 pm

He gets to travel all summer? Lucky him. I bet you’d love to trade places with your hubby!

20. June 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Once you find out let me know… PLEASE !!!

21. tandra permalink
    June 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I am going through the same right now…this is the first time I am home for the entire summer with my son, who is Maya’s age !…And I am constantly on my toes shuttling him for his classes or else keeping him entertained/occupied/busy and what not !!! The poor kid though does not remind me too often that he is bored or what he needs to do next though…
    And as far as Ali being oblivious to all these arrangements and such, by now I am sure you know this too well, men have an in built system to filter out what they can not handle, or are ill equipped to handle…They just don’t clutter their mind with such trivial things you know !!!!!!…

• June 22, 2012 8:30 pm

So true Tandra.

I wish I had that filter…I think I would be 100X more easy going.

22. June 23, 2012 2:30 am

I have to admit, I breathed a sigh of relief when the kids reached an age where they could entertain themselves at home while I went to work in the summer.

• June 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Please do share what age that is…so I can start counting down.

23. anywherethereisanairport permalink
    June 23, 2012 6:29 am

Here’s what I would do… (from the woman with no children) … the evening before sit down with Ali and Maya and tell them, “tomorrow all questions, decisions, and entertainment will be handled by your father. Maya, if you have a question, concern or if you are bored, your father will handle it.” Then you have to stick to it. Even if the kitchen is a mess and there are 6 knives left right by the dish washer, used to to make only 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For one day you have to do it. If only for the sake of experimentation and the great blog content that it will be. Please report back. (says the woman with no children 🙂

• June 25, 2012 8:16 pm

If I could actually say this I think that both Maya and Ali would be too shell-shocked to move. Seriously.

24. June 23, 2012 7:00 am

ahahaha re: sibling ‘built in entertainment’ i think that’s why my mother had my little brother lol honestly! what about day camp? or send her to visit her grandparents 🙂

25. June 23, 2012 8:55 am

I like to play a little game called “what can you do while you wait?” : sweep my floors, fold the laundry, send letters to family members requesting donations for a new bike. My grandma taught me….oh yes and the how fast can you get out of my hair before I whip you routine….
    I am a pretty good runner because of her!

• June 25, 2012 8:17 pm

I love your little game…I think that I’m totally going to steal this idea!

26. June 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Someone mentioned sending her to her grandparents. I totally second that! Alternate between yours and Ali’s parents for a few weeks!

• June 25, 2012 8:17 pm

If only they were a bit closer! I would let Maya live with them. 🙂

27. June 23, 2012 11:48 pm

You need a girl’s night out, pink martinins, and a new pair of shoes! Ali can stay home with Maya for the weekend!! Xx How’s that sound?

• June 25, 2012 8:18 pm

I’m not sure Maya or Ali would be around when I came home! I think they’d kill each other. 🙂

28. June 24, 2012 7:21 am

Enjoy the moment…life goes by too fast 🙂

29. June 24, 2012 11:38 am

This cracks me up. It’s the dilemma for all moms all the world over. Except France where there are all day play centers for cheap. For real. Move here now.

• June 25, 2012 8:19 pm

So there is something cheap in France? Good to know!

30. glamorous glutton permalink
    June 24, 2012 2:18 pm

I remember the pressure of trying to arrange child care/ amusements when the Glam Teens were younger. Sleep away summer camp for two weeks was great. They had fun and I had a break. Living up to expectations for fun afterwards was hard. Why do men think these arrangements don’t involve them?! GG

• June 25, 2012 8:19 pm

I’m going to need to learn more about this sleep away camp idea….I’ve never really considered it before all these insightful comments.

31. June 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Summer holidays for me mean 2 months of no work and no responsibilities 🙂 I’m done on Friday!!!!

• June 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Lucky you Jolene! I hope you have a fabulous 2 months!

32. June 24, 2012 6:39 pm

The only good part about summer vacation is that I no longer need to set my alarm. Other than that, I pretty much look forward to the end of it. I can’t stand the lack of organization either. Our solution is to basically travel all summer long. We just bounce from one place to another until time runs out. 🙂

• June 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I’m about to embark on a nice little trip…let’s hope Maya enjoys!!

33. June 25, 2012 6:08 am

that computer lab is hilarious. i think i always say that about ali’s electronic set ups though! good luck getting through summer vaca and nailing down plans!!

34. June 25, 2012 7:00 am

Oh the dog days of summer. I actually love having the kids home as I have 3 little slaves to help me with all the chores. Did I say slaves, I meant helpers. I thrive on structure too so it’s all business in the morning, chores, reading, homework?! (from me) and then we try and play all afternoon.

Glenn is great about taking the kids for the day. He’ll take em all to the beach or the pool. Here’s the trick. One of Glenn’s best friends is a single dad (widower) with 4 kids, so they do lots of stuff together with the kids without me.

You need to find Ali a ‘great friend’ with kids to hang out with.

• June 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Now this is a brilliant idea … but I think all of Ali’s friends just leave their kids with their wives. 🙂 It seems to be a common practice around here!

35. June 25, 2012 11:00 am

I can very clearly remember being bored out of my mind on summer vacation when I didn’t have things to do. I felt very sorry for myself. I really don’t know how my mom handled it.

36. June 25, 2012 12:15 pm

haha happy summers!!! Im all hooked to read the blog posts about to flood in here during Maya’s vacations 😀

• June 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Thakns Habiba. I’m sure I’ll have LOTS to complain about. 🙂

37. Gayatri permalink
    June 25, 2012 3:58 pm

OMG now I know how my mom felt when she had 3 of us to deal with each summer. One solution – leave Maya with Ali and come party with us!

• June 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I LOVE this idea. I am definitely going to make my way to your neck of the woods one of these days!!

38. June 26, 2012 11:31 am

Doesn’t Ali need: Take Your Daughter to Work Day? Like every day? Just drop her off on the curb outside his office building and speed away…

39. June 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, I a still lucky that way .. no kids yet! But the kids in my aprt is making my afternoons crazy with all the non stop noise ..

40. June 26, 2012 7:27 pm

I’m considering making a sibling for my child….purely for selfish reasons.

41. June 28, 2012 9:59 am

again….you’re the best mom ever! on the warfront giving up your own sanity for the entertainment of others. I applaud you and hail you queen of fancy! Now….here’s a good argument for child labor, in my opinion. Don’t you have shoes to shine?

42. June 30, 2012 10:48 am

I can appreciate this post as our summer vacation has just begun – I’m a teacher so I have the kids while Vikki, my wife, goes out to work. Yet, oddly, it is still her that is being driven up the wall by the lack of structure you described! She has started timetabling our son (who, like me has ADHD) to structure his day and avoid most of the “I’m bored” syndrome.

I wonder whether we guys just approach things differently to you lasses – not wrongly, not rightly – just differently.

That said, if it were up to me, the summer vacations would be much shorter and we would all get more regular breaks through the year instead! That would solved so many problems!

• July 1, 2012 2:13 pm

I would love more vacations during the year instead of one giant break in the summer! I agree, it would solve so many poblems.