another incident involving a sandwich

December 9, 2011

I tried to seem super busy and stressed out yesterday morning before I headed off to work, because I could feel Ali about to ask me for a favor. Apparently I didn’t look busy enough.

Ali: “Is there anything you can make me for lunch?

Me: “I don’t know. All we have are leftover scrambled eggs.” (I wasn’t kidding when I said I can’t throw food out.) “Do you want an egg sandwich?”

Ali: “An egg sandwich?”

Me: “Yes, an egg sandwich.”

Ali: (Insert a 5 minute pause here. 5 solid minutes – I kid you not.) “I guess.”

My mind was going haywire with comments but I somehow managed not to voice any of them. Instead I marched myself into the kitchen and made him a sandwich.

I'll spare you a picture of the sandwich...how about one of my kid at Beverly Center

Fast forward to 12 hours later when we were eating dinner.

Me: “How was your egg sandwich?”

Ali: “It was okay.”

Me: “What do you mean by just okay?”

Ali: “Well why did you put ketchup in it?”

Me: “Because you always eat ketchup with your eggs.”

Ali: “No I don’t.”

Me: “I see. So the big pile of ketchup you’ve had on your plate every time you’ve eaten eggs for the last 11 years we’ve been married has been for appearances sake only.”

I’m just exhausted. And it has nothing to do with being tired.

1. December 9, 2011 12:09 am

Husbands contradict themselves all the time, don’t they? It is the same story everywhere.Sigh!

• December 9, 2011 5:36 pm

I suppose this makes me feel a bit better…at least I’m not the only one?

2. December 9, 2011 12:30 am

I always used to think that ketchup and eggs made for a gross combo but that’s how my husband eats his eggs! After many years of watching him eat while giving him disapproving looks I finally tasted it for myself and its surprisingly good!

3. December 9, 2011 1:31 am

I find this story absolutely hilarious! It was my 4th grade best friend who taught me about ketchup and eggs. As for Ali – there are no words. I’m tired too.

• December 9, 2011 5:37 pm

If you’re tired after being married for just a few months imagine what state I’m in! 🙂

4. December 9, 2011 2:13 am

I would have been like, “ketchup? Ph I didn’t put ketchup in there. That was blood from my hand nail”.

5. December 9, 2011 2:24 am

Ha ha, egg sandwich with ketchup, seems nice but not sure if it would taste the same? But your post is hilarious but not sure if it was meant to be….

6. December 9, 2011 2:28 am

Hahaha eggs with ketchup is the new peanut butter & jelly! Ameena, your blog teaches me so much! Lesson number 51: just do the bare minimum, there are no bonus points or extra credit for doing anything more!

• December 9, 2011 5:38 pm

Absolutely. The bare minimum is the only way. You just have to get through it!

7. December 9, 2011 4:16 am

So you save leftover scrambled eggs? I would throw some hot sauce on them.

• December 9, 2011 5:38 pm

I have a problem throwing food out. It’s the Indian in me!

8. December 9, 2011 4:51 am

I laughed at this as I ate my mediocre eggs and toast for breakfast…

9. December 9, 2011 5:08 am

Egg and ketchup? I used to do this when I was younger but now more of mustard and mayo.
    My hubby too is something like what at times but I am used to it by now though at times it gets to me.

• December 9, 2011 5:39 pm

I can do mustard with anything but mayo and I don’t mix!

10. December 9, 2011 6:30 am

Ralph is always denying that he “does” things or “likes” things. I prepare something the way he always likes it and then he asks why. What is wrong with these guys!

• December 9, 2011 5:39 pm

I can make the same thing 100 times and then one day Ali will say, why did you put X in here this time? It drives me bananas.

11. December 9, 2011 6:40 am

Haha why can’t men just shut up and be grateful someone they love took the time to make them a sandwich?

12. December 9, 2011 6:49 am

who doesn’t get excited about an egg sandwich?? And it’s not an egg sandwich without ketchup (egg sandwich law).

• December 9, 2011 5:40 pm

Apparently Ali violated egg sandwich law, among many other laws!

13. December 9, 2011 6:50 am

at least he ate it!

• December 9, 2011 5:41 pm

So he says. I have no idea if he threw it away at the office!

14. December 9, 2011 7:46 am

I think this is just further evidence of the general daftness of men. They don’t pay attention enough to even know what they like let alone the women in their lives.

15. December 9, 2011 7:50 am

I said to my husband once: “I don’t complain about how you mow the lawn or clean the house so don’t complain about how I cook or you’re free to cook it yourself” Never heard any complaints since.
    Sometimes we have to remind men who is really in charge in the house 😉

• December 9, 2011 5:41 pm

Wait, your husband mows the lawn? And cleans the house? I don’t know what to say here…

16. December 9, 2011 7:53 am

I suppose the fact of the eggs were on bread instead of directly on the plate made a difference. Men are strange.

17. December 9, 2011 7:54 am

I love your honest take on marriage – it cracks me up!

In my case, I can see Vishnu wanting to make the sandwich on his own, getting halfway through, and then asking me to seal the deal. Haha!

18. December 9, 2011 8:05 am

What is the deal with men and food? I can have tons of food in the fridge but if there isn’t a plate made up then apparently there is ‘nothing to eat’.

And Glenn is so bad at eating leftovers.

Even though Ali likes ketchup with his eggs I bet it just seemed weird to have it on a sandwich. Just tell him to deconstruct it on a plate and it will seem more normal.

Maya looks like a sweet little ice princess.

• December 9, 2011 5:43 pm

I should have figured the bread would have sent him into a tailspin. Valid point Marie!

19. December 9, 2011 8:17 am

“I’m just exhausted. And it has nothing to do with being tired.”
    Oh daaahling, I so relate!

20. Ali permalink
    December 9, 2011 9:28 am

My wife is hallucinating – I never add ketchup to eggs.

21. December 9, 2011 9:28 am

LOL! Men are silly with their food preferences. One time my boyfriend wanted an apple pie, so Imade him one and he said it wasn’t as good as his mom’s. So I got her recipe. He still said it was okaaaay. *sigh* 😉

• December 9, 2011 5:44 pm

You made him an apple pie! I can’t even fathom going to that much effort. Twice.

22. December 9, 2011 9:30 am

Too funny!!!! Has Ali had a momentary memory lapse or what? You must be worse then me. I don’t think I’d save eggs but sometimes mj does have to fight me to throw stuff out.

• December 9, 2011 5:44 pm

I only save food…everything else I am happy to get rid of!

23. December 9, 2011 9:36 am

Next time just put in ketchup looking hot sauce that may keep him quiet or don’t ask. Why did you ask?

• December 9, 2011 5:45 pm

Putting hot sauce in his sandwich would have sent us to divorce court. I know my limits.

24. December 9, 2011 10:22 am

I like mayo on my egg sandwiches; hubby likes ketchup. 🙂

• December 9, 2011 5:45 pm

I can’t do mayo MC. Ever! But Ali does love it.

25. December 9, 2011 10:46 am

i like salsa or ketchup on my sandwiches. I would have happily taken that sandwich and said THANK YOU!

• December 9, 2011 5:45 pm

Exactly! Why not just say thank you? It’s a mystery to me.

• Ali permalink
        December 9, 2011 6:39 pm

I was just trying to be honest, so she doesn’t go to all this effort for something that is not in my taste pallate.

Maybe she doesn’t have any situation where someone keeps making her something she isn’t interested in but the cooker thinks she likes it. Hmm.

26. December 9, 2011 11:39 am

I have a few comments.
    Maya is a doll! 🙂 THat place looks so great for Christmas.
    I don’t like ketchup with eggs.
    You teach me how to be a better wife, even though you are exhausted. This is exactly what marriage is about… setting your needs aside to make your spouse’s life better, easier. And by you going into the kitchen to make him the sandwich proved that. I’m still learning… and I would have whined or said something before making the sandwich. 🙂

• December 9, 2011 5:46 pm

I think your husband would be really upset to know that you are learning how to be a better wife from ME. I am in no position to teach! 🙂

27. December 9, 2011 12:33 pm

Oh, Ameena, the things you put up with … I think I would go off the deep end by now. You have a lot of resilience! 🙂

28. December 9, 2011 12:42 pm

Wait how can you not like eggs with ketchup.I love love love eggs and ketchup! But I have to agree with most of the commentors above, husbands contradict themselves and it can be exhausting to keep up.

Maya seems to be having a good time!

• December 9, 2011 5:47 pm

I LOVE eggs with ketchup. Or ketchup with anything really.

29. December 9, 2011 2:16 pm

An egg sandwich is a perfectly acceptable meal in my world. He should be glad you made it for him 🙂 My favorite egg sandwich = sourdough toast, scrambled eggs, and melted American cheese. Maybe you can make that for yourself and he can watch you eat it? 🙂

• December 9, 2011 5:48 pm

It sounds delicious to me. But Ali? He’d have issues with the cheese. Of course.

30. December 9, 2011 2:22 pm

I remember being newly married and having a detailed memory. My dear husband would change the story on shared experiences after the fact. I’d look at him and recount the details moment by moment with a furry eye. He’d couldn’t win. Oh yea, my dear husband puts ketchup on anything he can. So, in your case, you win Ameena

• December 9, 2011 5:48 pm

My husband can’t win either…so why does he keep trying? It’s confusing to me.

31. Piya permalink
    December 9, 2011 2:50 pm

haaaaaaaa! this sounds like my husband. when i add avocado to his sandwich he asks me why i did and when i don’t, he’ll ask me why i didn’t add avocado?!?!?! damned if i do, damned if i don’t. i can never win!

• December 9, 2011 5:49 pm

Ketchup, avocado, and hummus are interchangeable around here. I feel your pain Piya!

32. December 9, 2011 3:26 pm

God, I love reading your posts….. They crack me hahahahha
    And HUSBANDS…. Trust me they all are same, completely and genetically confused ….
    I can bet Ameena if you had not applied the ketchup the question would have been ” why did’nt u put the ketchup????….
    LOL…
    Have a great weekend Girl.

• December 9, 2011 5:49 pm

You got it! I would have received a lecture about the dry sandwich.

You have a good weekend too Reem!

33. December 9, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh Ameena! I’ve been having versions of this conversation for two years now. There’s no solution 🙂

• December 9, 2011 5:49 pm

In 9 years you’ll be bitching about this problem on your blog. Just watch. 🙂

34. Leslie permalink
    December 9, 2011 3:56 pm

Perhaps Ali has a quiet painter within and needed the ketchsup for Edible Art or Rorshack ketchup/ink blots…..

35. December 9, 2011 4:26 pm

hahahaha your husband is hilarious. 🙂

36. December 9, 2011 5:43 pm

Was just wondering how you ended up with leftover scrambled eggs, because here, all eggs that are cooked are consumed immediately. Gotta love it when everyone loves something that’s so easy to make, right? P.S. I don’t eat my eggs with ketchup, but my husband sure does. He’d probably be down with an egg sandwich with ketchup for lunch 🙂

• December 9, 2011 5:51 pm

We had people over for breakfast actually, otherwise I make scrambled eggs to order. The entire time people were eating breakfast I was freaking out about what I’d do with the leftover eggs.

Clearly I have serious mental problems.

37. caloricandcrazy permalink
    December 9, 2011 8:14 pm

I love ketchup with scrambled eggs! Perfect combo. Maybe it was putting both the eggs and ketchup in the sandwich that threw Ali off? Haha, I would eat an egg sandwich with ketchup made by you Ameena 🙂

• December 10, 2011 9:26 pm

And I can tell you’d be thankful if I made you an egg sandwich. Unlike other people around here…

38. December 9, 2011 8:36 pm

BAUAHAHAHA…
    I don’t know why I find this hilarious.
    I think I’m tired.
    BUAHAHAHA

• December 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I’m sorry you’re tired. But I’m glad you found this funny!

39. December 9, 2011 9:24 pm

Whenever Derek contradicts himself with his apparent likes and dislikes (always in front of others, mind you)…I always think of Airplane the movie “Jim never has a second cup of coffee at home” (check it out: there’s even a T-shirt: http://www.zazzle.com/jim_never_has_a_second_cup_of_coffee_at_home_tshirt-235550591253781506
    It always makes us giggle.

• December 10, 2011 9:27 pm

I loved that movie! I think I watched it about 100 times…of course I don’t remember this part at all?? Go figure.

40. December 9, 2011 9:41 pm

my my such slavery 😛 haha

41. December 9, 2011 11:34 pm

Everybody has their strange little eating habits. I know this person who will eat eggs and who will eat tomatoes, but put the eggs and tomatoes together and he’ll refuse to eat them. Maybe this is where Ali is coming from. He’ll eat eggs with ketchup, but not in sandwich form? I don’t know. Look at me trying to figure out other people’s husbands when I can’t even figure out mine. Ha!

• December 10, 2011 9:28 pm

I think you are on to something…the bread totally threw the whole combination off! There is no other explanation.

42. December 10, 2011 8:20 am

My god-you almost make marriage sound like fun sometimes…so much ketchup in your life 😉 And if you find some cure of that leftover-fanatic Indian in you-please pass over the wisdom, before our husbands go on hunger strikes of sorts!
    I just can’t cook less and then just can’t throw if it is left!:-)

• December 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Mostly I freeze things. If they can’t be frozen I panic!

43. December 10, 2011 10:35 am

hahaha I find myself in similar conversations with Jonathan on a regular basis. I’m exhausted just reading about it.

44. December 10, 2011 12:55 pm

You did say leftover eggs, right? I am just going to say it…why can’t he make a sandwich?
    Hope you guys have a great weekend

• December 10, 2011 9:29 pm

It’s a mystery to me too. I wish I had a better answer for you.

45. December 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Next time put mustard on his egg sandwich. That will shut him up. You are Super Wife.

• December 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Ali + Mustard = A Very Angry Husband. He hates mustard! I love it!

46. December 10, 2011 5:44 pm

—Here’s my advice.

Next time tell him to make his own damn sandwich!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Or put tabasco on it! x

• December 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Any normal wife would do this…but I am a glutton for punishment.

47. December 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Ameena, me and my husband are having such conversations for past 4.5 years and there seems to be no end to them so we simply forget about one argument and start with another 🙂 🙂

and yes in my house I am the one who is fussy about eating, Anil will eat whatever I give him so I guess i am lucky that way… though i do give him ugly stares when he eats some real weird combinations 🙂 🙂

48. December 11, 2011 12:34 am

you need one of those diner order menus that he can check of ingriedents on and an apron that says “I take orders.” That would be my smart ass solution to his lack of enthusiasm for a caring wife. Doesn’t he know after 11 years of marriage to have a side of FILTERING….smile…and say, it was perfect…even if it is just for “appearances.”
    🙂

• December 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Actually.,..this is a really good idea. Have you heard of “The Counter?” They totally do this…it’s foolproof.

49. December 11, 2011 10:44 am

Hehehehe – LOVE this conversation. You two crack me up!!

• December 12, 2011 4:56 pm

I’m glad that at the very least our rather pointless conversation entertained someone. 🙂

50. December 11, 2011 3:58 pm

I can’t believe you keep left over scrambled egg! But having said that nice idea for a sandwich, with or without the sauce. GG

51. Erika permalink
    December 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Cute picture of your daughter. Looks like a fun place. Ketchup with eggs.. gaaaaaagggg!!!
    The Beverly center not your house. Or maybe your house is a fun place.

• December 12, 2011 4:57 pm

She’s at the Beverly Center in this picture…not our house. 🙂

52. December 11, 2011 9:04 pm

I think I can relate to Ali. While I like ketchup with my sandwich, having ketchup on it just makes it soggy and not as appetizing as a plain egg sandwich with ketchup on the side can be.
    And is it weird that I don’t find anything wrong in saving scrambled eggs? I mean who throws them away?!

• December 12, 2011 4:58 pm

I’m actually very relieved that someone else would save scrambled eggs…for a moment maybe I thought my food-saving tendencies were a bit out of whack!

53. December 12, 2011 2:58 am

Oh boy! Go figure! Did you think there was going to be any other response but that LOL!

54. December 12, 2011 6:42 am

Haha! Husband and their contradictions!

♡ from © tanvii.com

• December 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Contradictions are what our marriage is based on…

55. December 12, 2011 8:36 am

I’ve never noticed Ali chime in on the comments before. He must really feel strongly about this whole egg sandwich/ketchup situation. My husband is notoriously unaware of himself. I don’t even try to enlighten him anymore.

• December 12, 2011 5:00 pm

He does comment here and there but yes, he was right at the top on this one!

56. Mariposagirl permalink
    December 12, 2011 9:07 am

my son just shocked me by dumping catsup on his eggs the other morning.

he’s never seen anyone do that, that I can think of.

I’ve used leftover scrambled eggs top whip up an egg salad sandwich before. Was pretty darn good.

what is that Maya is in? It’ looks stinking cool!
    xo

• December 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Good to see you commenting again Cindy! I’m glad you’re back.

57. December 12, 2011 3:29 pm

So funny, sounds just like my husband. I don’t know what it is about them but sometimes they can’t keep their ideas straight!

58. December 12, 2011 7:21 pm

This is kind of on the same level as how Marcus declares that he dislikes this/that food and then after I prepare it for him, it is his New Favorite Thing. Every single time. I just don’t get it. If I ever feel like we’ve really hit rock bottom, I’ll remind myself that I haven’t seen the vanity ketchup yet.

59. December 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Yeah, I agree with another commenter.. husbands/boyfriends contradict themselves all the time lol. Maybe he didn’t want anyone else to know he liked ketchup on his eggs? lol. Who knows. Great post

60. December 13, 2011 11:49 am

he confuses me!! hahaha.

61. December 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Live this often. Drives me insane.

62. Janelle permalink
    December 15, 2011 7:09 pm

“I’m just exhausted, and it has nothing to do with being tired.”
    Wow, does that sum up a lot. I may be borrowing it!

63. December 16, 2011 12:55 pm

This is really funny! I can really relate to this kinda of odd behaviour. Sometimes the things my husband say and do really gets under my skin.

64. December 17, 2011 1:47 pm

And it was very nice of you to make the sandwich! Meaning well doesn’t always turn out to be good, but the motivation should be appreciated!

65. December 17, 2011 5:02 pm

At least you had ingredients in your fridge to be able to make a sandwich…these days, I’m feeling challenged to even do that. Thanks for the laugh!

66. December 19, 2011 10:58 am

This made me chuckle. My husband does not eat potatoes. Never has, never will. Yet I still try to sneak them in when I make something. And he eats dinner, carefully leaving all potatoes on his plate untouched. But every time I tell him that he doesn’t like potatoes, he stares at me blankly, and then hotly refutes my claim.