i’m checking out

December 6, 2011

We rarely go out to dinner.

This is mostly my fault actually, because I prefer to lounge around in my pajamas when I’m eating. Comfort is my number one priority, as it should be.

So it’s for reasons still unknown to me that we randomly braved the crazy Santa Ana winds and hit up Crustacean last week. And on a Wednesday no less!

What do you think I did the instant we were seated? Order Crustacean’s famously fabulous greasy garlic noodles? Pretend to care about what Ali and Maya did that day? Tell Maya to stop complaining every five seconds or I was going to smack her upside the head?

Well yes. To all three things. But those three things occurred only after Ali and I addressed the most important thing on the agenda: we “checked-in” to Crustacean on Facebook.

For a moment updating my Facebook status seemed super important. But then, as we discussed who was going to tag who, I felt…oddly pathetic. And of course I subsequently felt the need to analyze my behavior.

I came up with two thoughts:

1. I “check-in” because I’m at a really cool place and I want everyone to know how cool I am because I’m there.
  2. I “check-in” because I want attention.
So yeah, I’m going to try to stop checking in to places. Not sure what else to say.
  1. December 6, 2011 1:54 am

I have never checked in to places on my Facebook but I do brag about them to my close ones 🙂 🙂

2. December 6, 2011 2:51 am

It just happens naturally I guess.. when we’re in a social setting we tell ppl what we’re up to…

• December 6, 2011 2:44 pm

In a social setting I think it’s fine…but when I post it on FB knowing that I’m looking for people to “like” my status? I think it’s just….odd.

3. December 6, 2011 3:26 am

But you are also doing others a favour by letting them know what a cool place that restaurant is.

4. Heavenly Housewife permalink
    December 6, 2011 3:31 am

Sometimes I wonder if I should set up a Facebook account. Seems like I’m the only one whose not doing it, but it seems a bit silly.do you think it’s fun.

• December 6, 2011 2:45 pm

It is fun HH but a serious time commitment. I try to spend no more than 15 minutes on it a day now!

5. December 6, 2011 4:57 am

I have some friends who are obsessed with checking in to places. I have no issues with being tagged in their post as long as I’m not in St. Louis- my ex has turned out to be quite an interesting fellow who would likely “accidentally” run into me wherever I am. Yep.

• December 6, 2011 2:45 pm

That’s the scary side of checking in. Or social networking sites in general…people can see your every move!

6. December 6, 2011 5:27 am

Very cool aquarium they have… I haven’t been a regular on Facebook for awhile, so I’m not sure what this “checking in” thing is. I also don’t tweet, so I guess I’m behind the times 🙂

• December 6, 2011 2:46 pm

Your not behind…you are smart! FB and Twitter are not priorities in the grand scheme of things.

7. December 6, 2011 6:42 am

It’s ok, Ameena, I’m jealous. I would certainly “check-in” that I was at Crustacean…that is if I had a phone smart enough to allow that!! Hope you enjoyed it!

• December 6, 2011 2:46 pm

I did enjoy it! Their service can be spotty but their food is always fantastic.

8. December 6, 2011 6:51 am

I’m very sporadic in my checking-in. It occurs to me maybe once or twice a month. However, when my ex was dragging his feet about moving out of our apartment, I often had this fantasy about checking into a really swanky hotel (with good company tagged, course) to inspire him to get his act together and start packing.

In real life, I’m not that mean, but it would have been a good story.

• December 6, 2011 2:47 pm

I don’t think it would have been mean! Nothing worse than someone who overstays his welcome. 🙂

9. December 6, 2011 7:13 am

I’ve never had garlic noodles but they sound good & delish. I love everything that is greasy anyway 🙂

• December 6, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh yes…they are famous for these noodles and they are deliciously greasy.

10. December 6, 2011 7:59 am

I’ve yet to “check in” on Facebook…but I am a chronic status updater, which comes with its own set of faults.

• December 6, 2011 2:48 pm

I’m slowly becoming less dependent on FB…it’s not easy but I’m getting there…

11. December 6, 2011 8:07 am

This totally had me laughing. I don’t check in on Facebook but being on Fb has made me realize what an attention whore I might actually be. Not something I love about myself either.

• December 6, 2011 2:49 pm

Show me someone who isn’t on FB who doesn’t love attention…I don’t know a single person like this!

12. December 6, 2011 8:18 am

I’m still hesitant on the whole Facebook thing. My sisters are on it, and that’s almost all they do in their free time. And sometimes at work!

• December 6, 2011 2:49 pm

I have to limit my FB time to 15 minutes a day…otherwise before you know it it’s 1 hour later and you’ve accomplished nothing!

13. December 6, 2011 8:19 am

Ha, I feel that way every time I post a status. I think–I am doing this purely to pander for likes and comments. Oh well, I will let myself graduate college before I grow up. lol

• December 6, 2011 2:50 pm

You’re still in college so you have an excuse. But I’m 35! What’s my excuse? 🙂

14. December 6, 2011 8:36 am

I’m scared to do the whole “check in” thing, but mostly bc I watched too many episodes of Unsolved Mysteries as a child and am forever paranoid that I may develop a stalker.

• December 6, 2011 2:52 pm

I don’t think you’re paranoid…it’s a totally valid fear!

15. December 6, 2011 8:57 am

hahaha… i just checked in the first time last week while i was at SFO airport. I actually didn’t really know how before or didn’t bother. It made me feel so cool… but no one even commented. Then I felt like a big L. lol. i’m all for eating out… i’ll get out of my sweats in 2 minutes if i know it’s a date. at least you have the nice weather there so it is bearable.

• December 6, 2011 2:53 pm

That’s the worst! When no one comments I feel so sad. 😦

16. Leslie permalink
    December 6, 2011 9:25 am

Now I’m craving those garlic noodles with prawns. My office was around the corner from Crustacean for years and I put on the pounds to prove it as my clients always wanted to have lunch there.

The words “low BMI” and “expense account” have a hard time co-existing, just like Econ 101’s famous societal conundrum – guns v. butter. In my case, it was “guns”/arms versus butter/big bootay.

Ah, the universe craves balance ….

• December 6, 2011 2:54 pm

That’s a scary place to have lunch because A. it’s super super expensive. and B. everything is so good that you know it’s a zillion calories!

17. December 6, 2011 9:28 am

That’s so funny. I love it that you just came out and said it. In fact FB is sort of all about getting attention for a lot of people. I thought checking in was the coolest thing ever and I did it all the time. Hubby and I would both do it and tag each other then after a while it did sort of feel ridiculous. I also used to check in at the gym at 5:30am just to show how dedicated I was!!

• December 6, 2011 2:57 pm

FB is all about getting attention for me! I’m a middle child you see, so I need all the help I can get.

18. December 6, 2011 9:36 am

I used to “check-in” everywhere too. But I also like people to ‘like’ my check-in. And this one time, nobody ‘liked’ it. So I stopped. You are not “oddly pathetic” Ameena. I am 🙂

• December 6, 2011 2:57 pm

The worst is when nobody likes what you write on FB. I feel your pain!

19. December 6, 2011 10:00 am

I gotta admit I’ve never checked in, but then I still have a flip phone so I probably couldn’t do it even if I wanted to.

What comes to mind more than anything facebook natured is the fact that you are at what appears to be a seafood place? And you ordered garlic noodles? Really?

• December 6, 2011 2:58 pm

I had the snapper and garlic noodles on the side. They are famous for their noodles!

20. December 6, 2011 10:18 am

lol…I always find those check-ins to be comforting…like a call home to mom after you’ve been out all night, just to say you’re ok. glad you’re ok, ameena!

• December 6, 2011 2:58 pm

Good point. Now instead of calling my mom when I get home I can just check in to my house. 🙂

21. December 6, 2011 10:24 am

When you wrote “smack upside the head” you got me laughing. We always said that growing up and still do, it’s just funny.

I can’t relate to the whole checking in since technology and I don’t really get along. I did go on facebook last week though to track down a couple of my cousin’s new address’ for Christmas cards.

• December 6, 2011 2:59 pm

I didn’t want to get on FB either…I boycotted it for the longest time and then Ali made me sign up! And now I’m on it too much.

22. December 6, 2011 10:27 am

This post reminds me of an article I just read on the signs of a technology addict, one of which was: ‘you update your status immediately because it makes the occurence/event all the more real’…for what it’s worth, I’m ready there with you buddy!

• December 6, 2011 3:00 pm

So true! FB makes everything more real and it gives it a legacy!

23. December 6, 2011 10:44 am

I don’t think I have ever checked into a place (on facebook or 4 square!) but i always think its fun when people do. I mostly enjoy tweeting photos of where I am at! but it’s healthy to admit, you DO want to look cool checking in somewhere, i get that!

• December 6, 2011 3:00 pm

Luckily I never dabbled in 4 square…I know my limits. 🙂

24. December 6, 2011 12:46 pm

I love you husband comment! LOL!

25. December 6, 2011 2:14 pm

Yeah, somehow it just doesn’t seem all that cool to check in to Taco Bell. Still makes me wanna go there for dinner though 🙂

• December 6, 2011 3:01 pm

I haven’t eaten there since college but I still remember how great their chicken soft tacos were!!

26. December 6, 2011 3:38 pm

I usually check in to new/cool places because i’m bragging – i’m not gonna lie!!

27. December 6, 2011 5:22 pm

these winds are crazy! hope you aren’t experiencing anything too terrible from them!

• December 7, 2011 8:20 pm

Luckily we haven’t been affected! I hope the same goes for you…

28. December 6, 2011 5:48 pm

Smile. I have a friend who checks in ALL THE TIME. But as much as it annoys, at least she is doing cool things, right? I never go out to eat anymore. Lame!

• December 7, 2011 8:21 pm

Some people check in everywhere…at least I’m not that bad! And hopefully I can stop myself before I get there. 🙂

29. December 6, 2011 6:12 pm

I don’t check in on facebook, but I sorta secretly LOVE it when someone who I’m with checks in and tags me. It makes me feel cool because I don’t care enough to do it. I think this signals I have problems, too.

• December 7, 2011 8:22 pm

I’m thinking I might have Ali tag me so that I can stick to my principles and yet still seem cool…you aren’t the only one!

30. December 6, 2011 7:05 pm

We’re bloggers, that’s what we do. Don’t feel too bad about it! It looks like a delicious restaurant! I can’t remember the last time we went out; it’s way overdue. I’m a pj eater too. Food just tastes better when you don’t have to worry about all that etiquette stuff.

• December 7, 2011 8:22 pm

Oh yes…and I type this as I eat dinner in my pajamas, in front of my computer.

31. December 6, 2011 7:52 pm

I totally check in to places that I know people will recognize. Let’s them know I am someplace nice.

32. December 6, 2011 10:42 pm

Well I dont see anything wrong with trying to get attention 😀 …keep checking in…At least we know what places to visit or which are good 🙂 Since you surely have good taste haha

• December 7, 2011 8:23 pm

I am desperate for attention…as obvious from this blog, right? 🙂

33. December 6, 2011 10:43 pm

I have never “checked in” on FB, but I often look at that feature and wonder when they will come up with another option to “check out.” As in: Andrea’s status: checked out with bloody mary.

• December 7, 2011 8:24 pm

You should pitch this to FB…I bet this’ll be there next add on feature! Pretty clever if you ask me…

34. December 7, 2011 3:00 am

If you are doing something cool – then you should brag about it. It gives me the impression that I am reading something cool, written by a cool person, who is doing something cool, which in return makes me feel cool in reading – makes sense?

Keep it up – nothing wrong with it.

• December 7, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks my friend. I’m glad that somebody thinks I’m cool because nobody around here does. 🙂

35. December 7, 2011 4:50 am

One social media trap I have yet to fall into, mostly because I don’t know how to do so. Can you tell me, if you are giving it up I can be pathetic, right?

• December 7, 2011 8:25 pm

You could never be pathetic Lauren. I know that firsthand!

36. December 7, 2011 8:03 am

When “checking-in” first became a thing I felt so obnoxious using it – but that’s what it’s for right? I always “check-in” when I’m at the airport because a) I like the irony of doing so and b) it’s fun to rub people’s noses in the fact that I’m flying somewhere AND getting to peruse the duty-free.

• December 7, 2011 8:26 pm

I’ve never thought to check in at the airport actually…seeing someone else do so would totally make me jealous!

37. December 7, 2011 11:00 am

I have never used this aspect of Facebook before, but my friends do all of the time! I think it’s okay for some places and perhaps unnecessary for others

• December 7, 2011 8:26 pm

Finding that balance is tricky…as with everything Facebook related.

38. December 7, 2011 2:25 pm

I disabled the check in feature on my facebook. I don’t understand it. But, since I just wrote an entire essay on it, facebook is pretty much all about getting attention. Everyone does it – no shame.

• December 7, 2011 8:27 pm

I’d really love to read your essay actually! I bet I can relate to most of it.

39. December 7, 2011 2:49 pm

Between blogging, facebook and checking out twitter it’s possible to loose days! GG

40. December 7, 2011 5:03 pm

Truth: I’ve never checked-in anywhere. On Foursquare, on Facebook, nowhere.

That being said, I’ve definitely Tweeted if I’m en route to somewhere fabulous. Consider it the sequins of the internet 🙂

• December 7, 2011 8:28 pm

Somehow Twitter doesn’t hold that much appeal for me…not sure why?

41. December 7, 2011 9:45 pm

I don’t even know how to “check in” on Facebook, but I see other people do it all the time.

42. December 7, 2011 11:26 pm

I’ve never checked into a place either. I don’t want people knowing I’m not home. LOL. 🙂

43. December 7, 2011 11:30 pm

I meant that comment in response to other commentors. I know you “checked-in” to the restaurant. I just read other comments saying they didn’t check in. Ha ha! Sorry. Hey, you leave a comment in the wrong place, I can’t even make my comment make sense. 🙂

44. December 8, 2011 2:27 am

Nice, sometimes I so check in (but in foursquare) and other times I don’t. Mostly I just like to play, so I check in, but I try and wait until after I leave the place or I am egtting ready to leave for security reasons. It is not a good idea to let people track you in real time.

45. December 8, 2011 3:02 pm

I had similar conversation with my brother on my birthday in a nice restuarant with my parents with no kids. I wanted to check in so I looked like I have a life outside of them and can frequent a nice restaurant without a drive through once in a while.

46. December 8, 2011 5:28 pm

I’m too secretive to want people to know where I am until after the fact.

47. December 8, 2011 7:02 pm

I am a lite facebook user, I hardly put status messages or check ins, but always love your updates 🙂

48. December 9, 2011 12:01 am

I have never checked into a single place on principle. I don’t want people knowing all my whereabouts because I just feel odd about that. Once, a girlfriend came to visit me and unbeknownced (what up, spellcheck??) to me, she was checking me in at all these swanky hotels, bars and restaurants we were hitting up in Palm Springs. Next think I know, MY inbox was filling up with comments from my friends about where I was going and yet, I never announced a thing. It made me feel very awkward and uncomfortable. I think that by now FB has changed their settings (I hope?) so that other people can’t check YOU in without your permission!

49. December 9, 2011 1:46 pm

OMG, I haven’t been to Crustacean for ages! The last time I went was ages ago! I just remember their crabs were super awesome and the interior of the restaurant was great as well! 🙂

• December 9, 2011 8:15 pm

The interior is still as beautiful as it was before! It is a gorgeous restaurant.

50. December 9, 2011 11:22 pm

I actually don’t mind the check in thing. It sometimes allows me to discover new restaurants in my area. But I will never understand the FB poke. With that said, even if someone pokes me, I still feel the need to etiquettely poke them back.

• December 10, 2011 7:25 am

I don’t get the poke either! First off, it just doesn’t sound…right. Secondly, what on earth is the point? Nobody can explain it to me.

51. December 10, 2011 12:43 pm

I have never used the check in but I see allot of people doing it. Sometimes I think FB can be a bit of an addiction, but I have a great deal of fun with my kids on there. But then my kids are weird too 🙂

• December 10, 2011 9:31 pm

FB is a total addiction! And I bet your kids aren’t weird at all. 🙂

52. December 12, 2011 8:40 am

First of all I like the sounds of this restaurant based on the name alone. I’m not a big fb status person for reasons I mentioned before – I probably have it wrong though. I’m sure the rule is to be plugged into social media to promote the blog. My favourite thing you did besides pretend to be interested in Ali’s day is almost smack Maya upside the head. I have been there everytime we go out for dinner with the kids. There and almost in the loony bin.

• December 14, 2011 9:48 pm

The truth is that social media has done amazing things for my blog. I can’t lie. 🙂

53. March 15, 2012 11:09 pm

I may put a status message or upload a picture of the place later, but I don’t check-in to anywhere on Facebook, and I hide people on my News Feed whoever’s frequent check-in updates start to annoy me. (am i mean?)
    Some people really over-do it. Even with status messages. I had this classmate from college who once put her status message something like, “going for a shower”. Needless to say, I hid her from my News Feed right away. 😀

• March 16, 2012 8:22 am

Some people totally overdo it! Why do others think we want to know when they’re about to take a shower? So odd.