2+ years later

November 22, 2011

I’m grateful for many superficial and petty things this morning. Here are 10 of them:

1. I’m getting on a NYC bound plane again in a few hours.
  2. My husband and his laptop will be seated across the aisle from me for the 5 hour journey.
  3. I feel secure in the knowledge that I am armed with 3 barf bags for Maya.
  4. My jeans don’t feel tight despite eating 2 scones yesterday.
  5. My jeans don’t feel tight despite eating enough crumbs to ultimately equal a third scone.
  6. I bought new boots.
  7. I’m wearing my new boots, even though my mom said they “Don’t fit well” and that “I’d think of her words every time I put them on.”
  8. I don’t feel the least bit guilty taking Maya out of school 2 days early, especially since she’s rile verey good at math and spelling. Obviously there’s no need to be concerned.
  9. My space bar is working again!

And most importantly #10: I’m thankful that more than two years later people like you still come here to read my shallow thoughts, relentless complaints, and general nonsense a few times a week.

Thank you.

1. November 22, 2011 12:15 am

Those boots are pretty awesome! I cant wait to see you!

2. November 22, 2011 1:08 am

Congrats on completing two years. It was a pleasure listening to the rant 🙂

The boots are swell. Have a great time.

3. November 22, 2011 1:17 am

Have a wonderful time with your new boots in NYC! Wish I was going too!

4. November 22, 2011 1:26 am

Maya writes phonetically – nothing wrong with that!

So envious of your trip to NYC. I was there over Christmas and it was gorgeous. I’m sure you will have a blast.

Although I was only introduced to your site a couple of months ago, I’m loving what you write. Keep it up!

– Razwana

• November 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks Razwana…so glad you found me! And Happy Thanksgiving to you!

5. November 22, 2011 2:04 am

Congrats on your 2 year bloggaversary!
    I adore your blog and although I am a relative “newbie” I feel like we share the same type of mind set sometimes. 🙂
    Enjoy NYC!!

• November 22, 2011 9:16 pm

It’s so great to find another person with my mindset. 🙂 We are far and few between.

6. November 22, 2011 2:11 am

A sweet post !

7. November 22, 2011 2:42 am

Life is nothing without “general nonsense” [and new boots] Have fun in NY! Best time of the year to be in the city!

• November 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks Kristen! Looking forward to meeting you in December!

8. November 22, 2011 3:07 am

Congratulations for completing 2 years.. i say thats an achievement 🙂

In life its so easy to be happy in certain simple things
    or may be in major ones like wearing your new purchases 🙂 🙂

9. Emma permalink
    November 22, 2011 3:38 am

I love the boots! What kind of scones did you eat? 🙂

• November 22, 2011 9:17 pm

I had cranberry scones that I took from a baby shower I attended Sunday…they were fabulous!

10. November 22, 2011 4:09 am

Ameena, have a safe trip and a wonderful time in my time zone!! Scones…nothing better, I have a wonderful recipe!! Oops, I’m getting distracted by scones…sad…Have a Great Time!

• November 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Scones remain my favorite thing in the world. As evidenced by the fact I ate 3 in one day…

11. November 22, 2011 4:17 am

Hearty congratulations on completing two years ameena. That is indeed a great milestone. Coming to us putting up with your rantings, I never felt like you were ranting. Kudos to you 🙂

• November 22, 2011 9:19 pm

So glad you don’t feel like I’m ranting…I wish Ali felt the same way… 🙂

12. November 22, 2011 5:13 am

i absolutely love your blog.i hope you keep it up for many years!

• November 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you Sarah! So kind of you to say such a nice thing…

13. November 22, 2011 5:16 am

Congrats on the milestone, Ameena! I’m so glad I found your blog- such a refreshing viewpoint!

You make me feel semi-sane and that we’re all in it together… :p

• November 22, 2011 9:19 pm

We are definitely in it together…blogging has absolutely helped me realize that!

14. November 22, 2011 5:28 am

Congratulations! That is so terrific. We will be in NYC’s ugly stepsister for Thanksgiving, New Jersey. With the in-laws – it is like torture.

• November 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I actually really like New Jersey…not sure why it gets a bad rap. Your in-laws are a whole other situation though…I hope it isn’t torture!

15. November 22, 2011 5:58 am

Congrats on the 2 year mark…I hope there are lots more years to come! I riley luv yur blog! 🙂

16. November 22, 2011 6:26 am

Valid points, it would be good to have a picture of your boots.

• November 22, 2011 9:21 pm

If I take a decent picture on this trip you know it’ll be in my next post. 🙂

17. November 22, 2011 6:30 am

It’s been two years? I jumped on the bandwagon late-but I am so glad to be here now!
    That is THE MOST ADORABLE child’s sketch ever!
    It should be framed n awwwwed each day-and yes, these are things to not just be happy about but go yiy, yiy yiy:-)

• November 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I’m so glad you are here now too Suruchi! Thank you for reading…

18. November 22, 2011 6:48 am

I rile like your new boots 🙂 Safe travels!

19. November 22, 2011 7:05 am

Love the boots! Did you get them in taupe? I’m seriously obsessed with taupe boots lately.

Congratulations on the 2nd blog-nniversary! Every morning I always look forward to read your blog with my (instant) coffee. I’m always disappointed when there is not a new one daily. That being said, how about writing a post every day? Thank you.. 🙂

Maya is so sweet. I like her picture (it’s an art!).

Have a safe, fun & wonderful time in NYC. We’ll be in NJ (& I’ll be driving! Scary. I know.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

• November 22, 2011 9:24 pm

I got them in black and really, they are so comfortable!

I would love to post every day but it’s just so time-consuming…if I didn’t have to work and cater to Ali and Maya I would most definitely write more often. So glad you read my few posts though Lydia. Thank you!

And have a great time in NJ…

20. November 22, 2011 7:15 am

GEEZ!! Need those boots! And a vacation to NYC! Happy 2 years, Ameena!

21. November 22, 2011 7:21 am

Have a fab time in the Big Apple, Ameena! Shop till you drop…even if it means buying another pair of shoes which ‘don’t fit well’ 😉

• November 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I’m looking forward to my first Black Friday in NYC…

22. November 22, 2011 7:24 am

—shallow thoughts?

I think NOT!

Have fun in NY. Happy Thanksgiving, Ameena :))

23. Erica B. permalink
    November 22, 2011 7:28 am

I hope you have wonderful trip! I love Maya’s picture and writing, including the spelling – that’s what makes it so cute. I don’t know why but this reminded me of a time my daugther had to draw a picture and write about her favorite place to go. Some kids wrote the park, swimming, Disney World, grandma’s house. My daughter? Apparently her favorite place is Wal-Mart. Humiliating. Truly humiliating, especially since the daycare hung the pictures on the wall and left them there for a month straight. :/

• November 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Wal-Mart? I bet Maya’s would be Target. But I completely understand the humiliation! Maya told her teacher that her favorite meal that I cook is pasta. How sad, right? And that one hung on the wall for a while too…

24. November 22, 2011 7:36 am

My parents took me to Las Vegas for 2 weeks when I was little. I turned out just fine 🙂

• November 22, 2011 7:36 am

And I feel old. I have been reading your blog form the very beginning, every single post!!

• November 22, 2011 9:28 pm

You were my very first reader and I’ll never forget it Sana!

25. Nat and Ilana permalink
    November 22, 2011 7:38 am

has it alrey been a year since the first time we took maya to Dylan’s?? wow! have a great time (i’m around and pretty free this week if you’re bored/need someone to dump your kid on for a while)

• November 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Ilana! I figured you’d be celebrating Thanksgiving with your parents so I didn’t get in touch. I may just dump Maya with you for a bit so I can hit up Bloomingdale’s. 🙂

26. November 22, 2011 7:46 am

Oh NYC…I’ve never been.
    Do I live under a rock?
    Perhaps.
    Pass the scone will ya?

• November 22, 2011 9:32 pm

You should take a trip to NYC if you can…it’s life-changing!

27. November 22, 2011 7:51 am

I want those boots too, so chic! Being your blog reader has been amazing, Ameena! Happy 2 years! I am a tiny bit jealous that you’ll be in NYC 😉 I want to go back to NYC so bad.

• November 22, 2011 9:33 pm

And you are an amazing blog reader so thank you for that!

28. November 22, 2011 7:56 am

I bet your boots fit great. I’m wearing my not-new but beloved boots to fly tomorrow even though I’ll have to take the damn things off to go through security. Gotta save room in the carry on.
    Have a safe flight, may it be smooth and minimally pukey.

• November 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I wore mine on the plane today to save room too…but they were surprisingly comfortable! I hope yours are as well.

29. November 22, 2011 8:04 am

thank you for keeping us entertained. have fun in NYC!

30. November 22, 2011 8:06 am

what boots did you get?!

• November 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I bought some black flat boots from Sigerson Morrison…so comfortable!

31. November 22, 2011 8:16 am

I love you and your blog Ameena, I just want to make that known.

And that picture Maya made may just be the cutest thing ever. Your child is adorable.

• November 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Leah – you are one of my first readers…so glad you’ve stuck around! Thank you.

32. November 22, 2011 8:36 am

Aaawww, I’ll keep coming back as long as your posts keep making me laugh–and I don’t see that changing anytime soon! Enjoy your holiday, Ameena!

• November 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you Liz for coming back! I hope I can keep making you laugh. 🙂

33. November 22, 2011 8:50 am

Happy 2 yr blog anniversary! Way to go on the flat boots. 🙂

Have fun in NYC!

• November 22, 2011 9:37 pm

From one tall girl to another, I highly recommend them Nadia…they are SO comfortable!

34. November 22, 2011 8:51 am

Cute boots!

Great reasons to be thankful — and if Maya doesn’t puke, you can add number 11 😉

Congrats on 2 years!

• November 22, 2011 9:39 pm

There was no barf today Shanna…an automatic #11!

35. November 22, 2011 9:01 am

What? Crumbs count? Say it isn’t so. I love Maya’s artwork and her cute little words saying she wants to imprest you, so sweet. Have a wonderful holiday in your awesome new boots.

36. November 22, 2011 9:21 am

Laughing out loud on that one. First, the new boots rock. I don’t care what your mom says. And regarding Maya’s spelling, it’ll improve. In the meantime, definitely save that one for sharing later in life. It’ll be worth a few good laughs. Very sweet. Happy Thanksgiving and Safe Travels to NYC. May all your flights be on time. And may you have no need for barf bags.

• November 22, 2011 9:42 pm

I’m so glad you like my boots…I always need confirmation! And Happy Thanksgiving to you too Andrea!

37. November 22, 2011 10:49 am

Oh I love NYC. Your boots are perfect for a New York wander from restaurant to restaurant! GG

• November 22, 2011 9:42 pm

And that’s what I plan to do while I’m here. Eat!

38. November 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Love those boots!

39. November 22, 2011 12:04 pm

You are positively wicked. 3 scones. Dang girl. Your crazy. Enjoy NYC. 🙂

• November 22, 2011 9:54 pm

3 scones later…I don’t get why people think I’m boring?

40. November 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I love this post! I hope NYC is AWESOME and I also hope Maya doesn’t barf 🙂

41. November 22, 2011 12:44 pm

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy those new boots! That writing not might win any spelling awards, but my goodness, there’s some real voice there! You have a budding novelist on your hands!

• November 22, 2011 10:02 pm

A budding novelist? Really? I hope her spelling clears up by then!

42. November 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Those boots are gorgeous! and Maya is rile cute 😉

poseposhpost.blogspot.com
    Pose Posh Post

43. November 22, 2011 1:32 pm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AMEENA! We’re thankful that you continue to write. Have a wonderful time in NYC 🙂

• November 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Gayatri! I hope you have a wonderful one.

44. November 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey girl.. you are hilarious! I love shallow thoughts, common, it’s the shallow stuff that makes us happy (sometimes), and for people who say it doesn’t, they are lying. first, i love the boots.. i actually need black boots, i have to “rile” think about it. 🙂
    maya is sooooooo cute… awww.. nothing to be concerned about, she’ll get it.. just a kid.
    it’s raining here… welcome! I’m excited for our meeting. 🙂

• November 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Lookin gforward to meeting you tomorrow! Hopefully the rain will subside so that I don’t look like a frizzy mess. 🙂

45. November 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Those boots are stunning Ameena! Congrats on hitting the 2 year mark – I really hope you don’t stop blogging anytime soon because your posts leave a smile on my face every time without fail.

Also Maya’s drawing isn’t anything to be worried about – when I was seven I wrote a little bio where I misspelled “eygpt” and admitted to “collecting bateries”. Be thankful your daughter doesn’t have a passion for lithium ions!

• November 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Thank you for all the compliments Nada! And I’m laughing at the lithium obsession…that’s one I haven’t had to deal with. Yet!

46. November 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Happy to be here. Life without Ameena’s shallow thoughts is just no fun. 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time back in NYC and Happy Thanksgiving!

• November 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Heather! I hope you have a great one!

47. November 22, 2011 3:43 pm

I love New York sooo much!! I have to say, I’m having feelings of jealousy right now….of your family trip to NYC and the fact that you were able to eat three scones without having to wear elastic stretch pants afterwards 🙂

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

• November 22, 2011 10:05 pm

If it’s any consolation I haven’t had 3 scones…ever before!

Hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving too Brooklyn!

48. November 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I would sleep in those boots, lady!

re: #8 – I’m thankful for Maya’s class projects because they always crack me up.

I hope you have an AMAZING time in NYC, lady! I know it’s basically a Spiritual Home for you. Enjoy! And make sure to eat lots of truffles while you shop 😉

• November 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Spiritual Home is right. I am so happy to be here!

49. November 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I am thankful for your humor and always for your kind, supportive comments on my blog!

That note is SO cute. It reminds me of the 1st and 2nd graders at the afterschool program I volunteer at. They write me such cute notes. They try so hard, sometimes I am tempted to just let them spell things how they sound it out and not correct them!

• November 22, 2011 10:06 pm

You are so sweet…thank you for your comments as well. And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

50. November 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Congrats on your 2 years of blogging! I’ve always, always wanted to go to NYC for Thanksgiving. As it turns out, I’m a pretty good speller and decent at math, so maybe not time, Maya should stay at school, and I’ll go with you. I’ll even sit across the aisle, if you want.

• November 22, 2011 10:08 pm

If you promise to sit across the aisle it’s a done deal. 🙂

51. November 22, 2011 8:54 pm

i love maya’s school work. very cute. im thankful that you write posts for me to read!

• November 22, 2011 10:08 pm

I’m thankful Maya’s school work provides me with the fodder I need to write posts. 🙂

52. November 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I wish that ALL my parents took their kids out of class. That would mean that I, then, could leave early.
    I’m slightly bitter – I’m getting on a plane and going to TEXAS. It just ain’t the same as NYC.
    Have a great time!

• November 22, 2011 10:10 pm

I haven’t been to Texas yet but I hear Austin is gorgeous. I hope you are going to Austin at least! Minus your laptop this time. 🙂

53. November 22, 2011 9:16 pm

The boots are amazing! Love it. And I wish I had a couple of scones right now. And don’t worry about the spelling – tons of billboards to read and practice in NYC! 🙂

• November 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Thank you…so glad another person likes the boots. 🙂

54. November 22, 2011 10:16 pm

I’m new to reading your blog but thankful to be here!
    And I’m glad you stood by your boots:)

55. November 23, 2011 3:45 am

I love Maya’s artwork….nice boots…and happy Thanksgiving!

56. November 23, 2011 4:44 am

Rile love the boots, how long will you be here for? LMK.

57. November 23, 2011 8:34 am

Congrats on hitting the 2 year mark. Love your blog!!!
    Enjoy NYC!

58. November 23, 2011 9:22 am

I’m relieved that your daughter and my daughter are on the same level. (or worried?)

• November 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I think we should both be very worried! Even though I’m probably just being dramatic per usual…

59. Piya permalink
    November 23, 2011 12:55 pm

i am “inprest” with maya’s drawing! lol. she’s so cute. i hope you are saving all these for her, because i know she’ll have a good laugh when she sees them a few years from now. have a great trip and happy thanksgiving!! xoxo

• November 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you Piya! And happy Thanksgiving to you too!

60. November 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Wow thats very cute how Maya misspelled words just lil my lil bro but he hates it when I read them since hes older.Great post

• November 25, 2011 5:45 am

I hope that Maya doesn’t hate that I put her mispelled out on the Internet for all to see!!

61. Tandra permalink
    November 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Congratulations!…Ever since I stumbled upon your blog, I have been an avid follower…love reading your honest takes on so many things and I feel I relate to the thoughts at so many levels…Enjoy your thanksgiving holiday and I loved Maya’s writing 🙂

• November 25, 2011 5:45 am

Thank you Tandra for your kind comment…I am so glad that others can relate to me! Happy belated Thanksgiving…I hope you had a great one.

62. November 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Very pretty goods. It would have to be a very bad fit indeed for me not to wear those! Have lots of fun 😉

63. November 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Have a great NYC trip! I was thinking of going to the city this weekend as well. Such a fun place with kids. Happy Thanksgiving!

64. November 24, 2011 9:30 am

congrats on completing two years 🙂 many many more to come ..

so how is NYC 🙂

• November 25, 2011 5:49 am

NYC is great Bikram! I am so sad that I only have 1.5 days left here.

65. November 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Congrats on the blogiversary – and that boots, wow!

Have a great time at NYC — and, there’s nothing to worry about Maya 🙂

• November 25, 2011 5:49 am

Thanks Kiran. And a happy belated Thanksgiving to you! I hope you had a great one.

66. Erika permalink
    November 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Seriously Ameena
    thoughts boots are very cute. You really could get the company to offer you a pair to give away on your blog. Hey and while your at it why not a ticket to New York give away too. Hope you had a great time there.

• November 25, 2011 5:50 am

If I could get a company to give me a pair of free boots I would no longer complain about how I don’t even make a dime on this blog. 🙂 What a fabulous idea!

67. Erika permalink
    November 24, 2011 11:55 pm

those boots omg I have too proof read.

68. caloricandcrazy permalink
    November 25, 2011 11:26 am

Have lots of fun in NYC. Can’t wait to see a post about your purchases! 😉

69. November 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Hope you guys are having a great time in NYC! I’d totally pull my child out of school if it means I get to get away anywhere. Luv you and your blog! Keep up the great writing, my dear!

70. November 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi there,
    I just stumbled upon your blog via a friends. It’s hilarious!
    Looking forward to reading through your old posts.

Aly in Va.

71. November 25, 2011 10:18 pm

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy your weekend 🙂

• November 28, 2011 2:47 pm

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well Jolene!

72. November 26, 2011 7:11 am

damn. so jealous you are going to nyc again. you look so beautiful. enjoy this time of the year there.

73. November 26, 2011 11:02 am

Happy belated Thanksgiving.
    Love the list!!

• November 28, 2011 2:49 pm

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well Deena!

74. November 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I would be thankful for boots too. Isn’t it awful how mom comments stick in your head like glue?

• November 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh yes the Mom comments just don’t stop coming…even though I’m 35! I guess I’ll be doing the same thing to Maya.

75. November 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Hope you have a great trip!

76. November 28, 2011 11:36 am

You make it easy to come back! I’m sure the boots look fabulous.

77. November 29, 2011 6:06 pm

You always make me smile. If not downright guffaw. Looking forward to our next walk.

78. Leslie permalink
    December 5, 2011 3:55 pm

I thought your new boots would be outlandish, sort of Lady Gaga-esque, but they’re elegant and classic. I’m at loss for why your mom wouldn’t like them.

Two Years! Incredible. Congrats. Your writing style continues to get better and better. You say more with less. You beguile your reader.

I’m excited for your 3rd Anniversary!

79. December 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Sorry I am always so far behind, but a huge congratulations on you 2 year blog anniversary…and the boots two 🙂
    Hope you had a wonderful trip!

• December 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Please don’t apologize! I appreciate your comments no matter when they come. 🙂