a lack of exercise

July 22, 2011
I had a very enlightening realization at 10 am yesterday…but due to the time difference I had nobody to share it with. So I resigned myself to talking to my husband instead.

“Guess what Ali? I haven’t been to the gym all week and I feel okay with that!”

“How nice for you.”

Breakfast at Norma's at Le Parker Meridien.

Now if anyone else had said that to me I would have instantly assumed sarcasm. But since Ali is incapable of sarcasm, I correctly assumed complete disinterest instead.

But I knew you – my blog friends – would understand what a remarkable accomplishment this is for someone who normally spends a minimum of one hour in the gym, every single day.

Bouchon at the Time Warner Center. Divine.

Okay, so maybe part of me just doesn’t want to shell out a ridiculous gym fee, on top of the $$$ we are already paying for a 7 night stay in NYC. Le Parker Meridien? We are not impressed.

But the old me would have opened up Ali’s wallet anyway, especially after eating a handful of Maya’s french fries and then some of Ali’s Serendipity chocolate cake minutes later.

Serendipity = massively overrated. I swear, the sacrifices I makes for my child...

Although Dr. Oz would no doubt shake his head in dismay, I believe I’ve discovered a new formula for success:  Mass amounts of sugar + fried foods + no gym = progress in my book.

1. July 22, 2011 1:01 am

Oh daaaaahling, you are so right, that is the key to happiness… untill you get home and you don’t fit into your clothes and your thighs look all gross–I say that, because that is what happens to me on EVERY. SINGLE. VACATION. i go on :(. Still you are so slender and pretty, I don’t think a teeny break would impact you that much. Besides that, you kind of eat like a bird ;). Vacations are there for you to enjoy life and step away from routine. I am so glad to see that you are enjoying yourself.
    p.s. the foodie in me just has to know: what kind of bread is that from Bouchon??? It looks awesome. Of all the bread i’ve had in America, I’ve always felt Bouchon were the only ones who really knew how to a do a nice baguette

• July 22, 2011 5:31 am

Since I am walking miles and miles – from one eating place to another – I have my fingers crossed that I won’t regret my no-gym thing! And to answer your question, Bouchon served two kinds of bread on that plate – one was studded with raisins and the other was a baguette with walnuts. I didn’t like the latter but the raisin one went fabulously with all the cheese!

• July 22, 2011 8:52 am

Speaking of amazing bread (great for your gluten intolerance right?) I go blocks and blocks out of my way in the rain, sleet, snow or 100% humid 120 degree temps to Smith & Wollensky. I do not eat there. I go in and say I’d like to buy a loaf of their Irish soda bread (note: it has raisins and is life-altering) and they usually just give it to me for free. A.Maze.Ing. And remember, I don’t really eat much bread, but this is TOTALLY worth it.

• July 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Smith and Wollensky…really? I’ve been there, years ago but don’t recall their bread at all. As a huge bread fan I must purchase Irish soda bread (which incidentally I’ve never had either!).

• livinglearningeating permalink
      July 28, 2011 5:15 am

Agreed!

All that walking is definitely exercise, you don’t need a gym or set aside “work out” time to be active. And being active, not working out, is what you need for health and fitness! See my post, and comments, about active lifestyles: http://livinglearningeating.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/to-sweat-or-not-to-sweat/

2. July 22, 2011 2:10 am

Wish to congratulate you on NOT going to gym.
    I am an expert in this field and should you need further advice dont hesitate to ask. 😉

3. July 22, 2011 4:03 am

You should’ve said the word (and still can) you could’ve come to Figure Four with me yesterday (and still had the cake and fries). No gym at the hotel or is that the massive fee? Maybe you needed a break. I never knew you worked out every day, impressed.

• July 22, 2011 5:20 pm

There is a gym here – a supposedly really nice one called gravity – but on principal I refuse to shell out money to go the hotel gym. I think it’s absurd.

4. July 22, 2011 4:19 am

I used to be an exercise junkie, and sometimes I still feel bad that I’m not. I work out enough, am happier, and get to take fewer showers. Success! But seriously, I’m proud of you for being ok with it. That’s a hurdle, in my opinion.

• July 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Thank you Allison…I knew non-Ali people would understand.

5. July 22, 2011 5:09 am

LOVE THIS!!! Gyms and “exercise” as in getting on machines, burning yourself out are over-rated.

Walking, laughing, enjoying life – eating chocolate…those are what life are made of 🙂

• July 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I walked…laughed..and generally enjoyed life here so I think this trip was a success. Well said.

6. July 22, 2011 5:27 am

It’s always funny to make those realizations! Sometimes you need to give yourself an exercise break. I gave myself one for about 20 years, but then I got myself back on track. My concept with exercise is…if it feels good that day, do it. If not…go read a book! Actually I do that on my exercise book any way and since I’ve been going to the gym I’ve been using a Playaway from the library. Either way…do what feels right to you. Sounds like you’re having a great time in NYC. You mean Le Parker Meridien does NOT have it’s own gym free of charge to paying customers??!?!? Crazy…I used to be a Travel Agent and those things still make me Crazy!!

• July 22, 2011 5:22 pm

This hotel actually charges guests to use the gym. The only other time I’ve seen this is in Las Vegas. It annoys me to no end!

7. Sam @ Mom At The Barre permalink
    July 22, 2011 5:30 am

They are charging you a fee to use the hotel gym? But you’re a hotel guest! That’s just nuts!

Exercise is very important to me also but whenever I’m on short vacations I take that time off exercise. It feels strangely liberating!

• July 22, 2011 8:54 am

I think they call it a ‘resort fee’ or something like that and more and more high-end hotels are doing this. It’s crazy making.

• July 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Ridiculous, right? I don’t like that charging to use the gym is becoming a common thing now. Soon they’ll be charging to sit in the lobby??

8. July 22, 2011 6:18 am

Did maya get the frozen hot chocolate?? I had it once and was NOT a fan.

• July 22, 2011 5:23 pm

She did have the frozen hot chocolate and it was NOT tasty. I thought we were missing something?

• Leslie permalink
        July 25, 2011 12:17 pm

As a staunch defender of The Frozen Hot Chocolate, I cannot believe this. Really? It was bad? As I said below, je suis DESOLEE!!!

9. July 22, 2011 6:22 am

I’d consider that progress as well 😀 Sometimes being unhealthy is actually the healthiest thing to do. We oftentimes take the concept of healthy a little too far, and our good intentions end up turning against us. Sure that good food and exercise are good for us physically, but letting loose once in a while is good for us mentally, which is arguably even more important.

10. July 22, 2011 6:23 am

ha ha… now THAT means you must be having a totally relaxing vacation… 🙂

Still made at myself I went to the Serendipity in Vegas and all I got was a side salad and a side of broccoli. What was I thinking???

• July 22, 2011 5:23 pm

You were smart Amy…the food there is disgusting. The chocolate cake, however, is fantastic!

11. July 22, 2011 6:58 am

I exercise every single day but I think when you are on vacation it is okay to cut yourself some slack. Exploring the city with your daughter or even shopping all of nyc’s fab stores is going to be far more memorable down the road than spending part of your day on an elliptical. So good for you! That Bouchon bread looks amazing.

• July 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Someone once told me that I’d never regret not hitting the elliptical on vacation but I’d probably regret not indulging in something…simple yet SO accurate.

12. July 22, 2011 7:34 am

Good for you! I seriously think the gym craze is out of control- honestly the last time I stepped foot in a gym was probably in april while i was in college and i still kind of look and feel the same 🙂 Do you enjoy the gym or other forms of exercise? Walks, etc? And yup I figured those massively touristy places like Serendipity would be overrated

• July 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I can walk for hours! And I like yoga too. So I want to get out of the gym habit completely one of these days and just focus on doing stuff I like. It’s not easy though, I must admit.

13. July 22, 2011 7:34 am

I like your “formula”, it sounds delish and it’s definitely good for the soul!

Gym doesn’t interest me. I get intimidated easily by people that look like they know what they’re doing with those machines. Most importantly, I refuse to pay to get sweating on purpose. Why should I pay to get sweating when I could do it for free when chasing my kids right?

Next time visit Upstate NY and you could explore Vermont too (it’s not that far, like an hour and half away). They have many of Bed & Breakfast/Inns and diners that serve divine homemade cookings.

I want what Maya had. It looks finger-licking good! She’s my kind of girl!

• July 22, 2011 5:35 pm

I have always wanted to visit Vermont and Maine too. Those states seem so idyllic…I’m sure hitting the gym in these kinds of places would be unheard of.

14. July 22, 2011 8:40 am

I didn’t know you were a gym rat! Well, enjoy the break. The gym will be there when you get back.

15. actorsdiet permalink
    July 22, 2011 8:44 am

i went from working out at the gym/home every day to what i’ve been doing the last 2 years – a half hour walk. SO FREEING

16. July 22, 2011 8:59 am

Several things:
    1. I did not know that you still go to the gym every day for an hour? Then, yes, this is definitely a positive step for you. Plus you know you’re walking probably 7 miles a day so you won’t gain weight.
    2. Norma’s- I didn’t know they had one in NYC too- The one in PS can never get my order right so I usually just don’t go anymore. I have a friend that must go there every single day when she visits me. I think it’s a bit over rated, but then again, I don’t get the truly decadent stuff.
    3.My “Hotel Room Lunge and Squat” routine was born thanks to resort fees. I can do it in my underwear if I have no gym clothes (TMI!) and I am a sweaty mess and sore for days- no gym required!

• July 22, 2011 2:10 pm

1. I have gotten better about going to the gym every single day but I do an hour of exercise every day, without fail. 2. Norma’s is NOT good. I don’t get the hype? Ali and Maya didn’t like it either so it’s not just picky me talking here. 3. Lunges make me nauseous. I swear they do, I am not being dramatic!

17. July 22, 2011 9:13 am

Good for you. I think sometimes we are so in the habit of daily exercise that we feel so out of shape when we miss it. I am a huge supporter of fitness but I have found that just being active in any form can accomplish the same goal. A few days off is good for the body and the mind.
    That is so funny that your husband is not sarcastic.

• July 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Seeing as I am sarcastic enough for both of us I think it’s a really good thing he is missing that gene…

18. July 22, 2011 9:18 am

Oh noo Serendipity is overrated? I know it probably would be since it was on the Kardashians etc, but I still read great reviews about the frozen hot chocolate.
    I’ve always wanted to go to Serendipity just for that, along with Max Brenner’s.

• July 22, 2011 10:47 am

i liked serendipity more than Max Brenner’s …i mean at least i could see what i was having at serendipity

• July 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I wanted to go to Max Brenner’s but we didn’t make it there this time. I heard it’s much better than Serendipity though…next time I’ll try it for sure.

19. July 22, 2011 9:20 am

Welcome to the dark side, my friend! Though I must warn you, it’s hard (read: impossible) to go back to the gymming lifestyle once you cross over 🙂

20. July 22, 2011 9:21 am

YAY!! When you’re ok with not going to the gym, it starts to make life so much better. I for one, am very happy for you. 🙂

21. July 22, 2011 10:46 am

what did you have at serendipity?? i had the frozen hot chocolate…i loved it or maybe the presentation is just so good

• July 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I had some kind of fish with rice for dinner. And then several of Maya’s fries. And a bite of her frozen hot chocolate. And some of Ali’s chocolate cake…and the only decent thing? The cake!

• July 24, 2011 1:36 pm

oh we just went there for dessert…not real food hehe

22. July 22, 2011 11:24 am

Do you ever watch Parks and Recreation?
    That ice cream looks like Leslie’s coffee drinks haha
    I’m pretty sure you’re not required to hit the gym while on vacation.

• July 22, 2011 5:39 pm

I’ve never seen that show but I have heard people raving about how funny it is!

23. July 22, 2011 11:43 am

oh damn I just had two big squares of brownies when I supposed to be on a diet and I feel extremely horrible about it. I’m pleasantly surprised u r not feeling guilty. Oh wait I’m just plain jealous that you can skip a week’s gym and eat all that and still look that great 😀

• July 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Thank you for the compliment! We’ll see how I look when I get home…after a week of not being at the gym and eating all kinds of bread!

24. July 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Good for you! I always try to give myself a few days off when I’m on vacation. What else do you spend the rest of your life working so hard for if you can’t have a few days to relax and induldge

25. July 22, 2011 12:26 pm

I was always the “gym on vacation” girl until moving to Europe and doing most of my travels over here. And NY is almost Europe, right!? Ok, maybe not but still…

All the walking is good for the soul. But soul shm-oul, I swear the walking is more of a “workout” than any hour I spend at the gym.

• July 22, 2011 5:41 pm

I went to the gym when I was in Europe…at least on certain days. But not going for an entire week? This is new to me!

26. July 22, 2011 12:40 pm

I love a good workout as much as the next person (… who also loves a good workout?), but skipping a morning gym session to sit on my butt and watch TV with a bowl of cereal every once in a while is pretty liberating.

27. July 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Your formula looks quite perfect 😀

28. July 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Definitely progress! Plus, it’s fun to take a break every now and then from your routine.

29. July 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Awesome post, we are definitely on the same page here – I’ve just returned from vacay where I did virtually the same thing, I relaxed my strict workout regime and ate WHATEVER I wanted, i’m okay with it too 🙂

30. Galit Breen permalink
    July 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh you are all sorts of fabulous with or without the gym! I hope you’ve had a great trip- yummy food and relaxation included, yes? XO

• July 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I had the best trip Galit. If I didn’t HAVE to come back I wouldn’t have.

31. Cindy permalink
    July 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Good for you!

I’ve been contemplating my addiction to sugar all day

I spend an hour at my work “gym” every day I am at work so I can only imagine taking a week off.

I’d be lost!

and the FOOD….sigh.
    looks amazing.
    xo

• July 23, 2011 7:34 pm

It was liberating Cindy. I’m stealing this word from a commenter because it fits perfectly!

32. July 23, 2011 4:11 am

Mass amounts of sugar + fried foods + no gym = progress in my book.= Satisfaction Which you dont get in a gym(well i dont:P)

• July 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I used to get satisfaction in the gym but the older I get the less I seem to care. It’s interesting…

33. July 23, 2011 7:08 am

no free gym access at that fancy hotel? WHAT THE HELL. Anyways, mmm still haven’t been to serendipity after all these years!! But bouchon…heaven…just…heaven. And it IS progress…but I say with all the walking in nyc…it evens out.

• July 23, 2011 7:35 pm

I’m glad others are aghast at this gym policy…I thought it was just me!

34. July 23, 2011 9:52 am

You speak to me. It’s hard but liberating…and enlightening. You can’t actually gain 10 pounds in a week. Okay, maybe I could, but most people couldn’t…

• July 23, 2011 7:36 pm

You are right…you really can’t gain 10 pounds in a week. I think it’s possible to lose 10 but not gain 10…

35. July 23, 2011 12:05 pm

I’ve never been a gym rat, but I’ve had other (food) issues, so I know breaking behavioral patterns like that means a great accomplishment. Be proud of yourself, regarless of the what others (not) say! 🙂

I also loved all the food pictures you posted up there. I know it can be considered superficial to enjoy food pictures, but at least is meanginfully superficial. 😀 I just hope you could eat all that (dairy, wheat …) without suffering from cramps or other unpleasant consequences afterwards.

36. July 23, 2011 1:58 pm

I mostly try not to exercise while on vacation, except for walking.

37. July 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Probably one of my favorite posts! I hope I will soon be able to welcome you to the Gym-ditchers Club. It’s so, so liberating to get rid of that incessant, cling-y, do-it-or-you’ll-feel-guilty habit of hitting up the gym everyday. Trust me — the hidden anxiety and stress that you’ll save by doing activities that you enjoy (like long walks and yoga) as opposed to working out on stupid machines is enough to keep the additional pounds at bay. I second Lynn’s suggestion because I used to be a gym rat too, and have since discovered the wonders of enjoyable exercise — whenever I want to, and whatever I want to do. It’s the best. 🙂

• July 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I’m getting there Altheia…the older I get the less I find the gym important. And the less I go to the gym the less I’m hungry and the more weight I lose. It’s interesting how it works.

38. July 23, 2011 6:59 pm

I am so glad you are having a great time in NYC. My thoughts were the same about Serendipity. Glad I did it once but don’t feel I have too go back. Hope all is well!

• July 23, 2011 7:40 pm

What a relief to know that I’m not the only one who thought Serendipity is overrated! I will definitely NOT be going back.

39. July 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Well, I would say that your approach is definitely the more delicious way to go – even if the chocolate cake wasn’t that good 😦

40. July 23, 2011 11:14 pm

I can gain 10. Easy. :-/

41. July 24, 2011 4:27 am

I’m impressed girl, firstly…. The gym is over rated, the fact you exercise regularly earns you MASSIVE get out of jail brownie points. Although, in saying that, the fact your okay with it, is a huge deal too. 🙂 Secondly… Did Maya get through that giant dessert? Oh how delicious it looks.

• July 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Maya didn’t say so but I don’t think she liked the frozen hot chocolate. She barely ate any of it! And I don’t blame her because it was pretty gross.

42. livinglearningeating permalink
    July 24, 2011 6:25 am

WHOOT WHOO yay! Odd as it sounds, sometimes NO exercise is the healthiest (esp. if you usually exercise that much! At least an hour a day??? wowza!)

Doing that every once in a while is a great way to make sure you’re not developing an exercise addiction 🙂 An exercise-free week is definitely a must every few months, at least, in my opinion. And at least one exercise-free day every week 😉 Be nice to your body, let it rest!

And YUM. Chocolate 🙂

• July 24, 2011 7:55 pm

I haven’t even had an exercise-free day in years, nevermind a week. So this was an amazing break!

43. July 24, 2011 7:57 am

Good for you Ameena! I think it’s a sign of good mental health to be comfortable with not moving as much. I really don’t think we NEED to move as much as we think we do. What’s more important is just living life, spending time with Ali and Maya, eating the occasional piece of cake!

• livinglearningeating permalink
      July 24, 2011 8:20 am

If this were facebook, I would *like* this, coffeeandthepaper 🙂

• July 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Interesting that you say this Susan because I feel VERY lazy when I am still for too long. I know it’s not a good thing but I have to be moving constantly!

44. July 24, 2011 10:19 am

I’ve always wanted to work out because so many people rave about the adrenaline rush. So, I decided to get my exercise on and granted, while I felt the adrenaline rush, I just couldn’t be committed to doing such with all that I have going on. I’d really like to work on my abs, but cake and Hooter’s Daytona Beach Wings usually voids the whole working out thing. Welp!

• July 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I’d really like to work on my abs too but I can’t even do a push-up properly. Not even one. And for some reason I cannot find the motivation to fix that!

45. July 24, 2011 11:25 am

Good for you! I detest working out and only do it because my husband has to do it as part of his job, and I don’t want to be known as the flabby one in the relationship. That said, I skip it as often as is humanly possible without my pants refusing to do up!

• July 24, 2011 7:58 pm

What does your husband do? Is he a personal trainer?

46. Janelle permalink
    July 24, 2011 11:55 am

Just guessing that you are probably covering 5+ miles a day just getting around NYC…which most certainly counts as a workout. I maintain that the body needs a good week + break from exercise every now and then to appreciate what you are doing for it when you do workout regularly. Enjoy the down time!

• July 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Only recently did I start thinking that walking around on vacation counts as exercise. Previously I believed that if I wasn’t in a gym, in gym clothes and shoes then it wasn’t exercise.

Baby steps…

47. Erika permalink
    July 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Have you tried a Zumba workout yet?

• July 24, 2011 7:44 pm

I’ve heard about it but I haven’t tried it. Is it a good workout?

48. July 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Serendipity SO lives up to its name! I don’t regret a single calorie I’ve spent there.

• Leslie permalink
      July 25, 2011 12:20 pm

StephanieinSuburbia,
      We seem to be among the few defenders of Serendipity! When I lived in NYC, I went there regularly for the frozen hot chocolate (even in winter). I’m with you – I don’t regret a single calorie I’ve spent there.

49. July 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Okay…this seems to be my story with the missing guilt even.I think if gym makes you happy, desserts make you happier!! And since life is too short to be unhappy..I suggest indulge 🙂
    I have similar thoughts about serendipity..its a slight bummer!

50. July 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Recently I saw a new eating/weight loss idea called the four hour body. The founder of the idea said that your body needs you to have a cheat day once a week. The words didn’t leave this guy’s mouth and I was already thinking about ice cream. I think that it’s great that you splurged a little. It’s not easy keeping control when you have a child to look after who only wants to eat sweets and fried foods. Yum to all those delicious pictures.

• July 24, 2011 8:01 pm

I’ve heard of this book. Actually I read Tim Ferris’ (sp?) other book called “The 4-Hour Work Week.” I’m going to have to look into this one as well…

51. July 24, 2011 10:22 pm

GOOD FOR YOU my dear! When I’m on vacation, the gym is the last thing I want to think about. Considering the amount of food that I take in while I’m on vacation, it would probably take me half a day everyday to work it off. Half a day of eating, half a day at the gym burning it off? Well that doesn’t leave any room for shopping now does it? And you know a girl’s gotta shop while on vacation. So yeah, pigging out plus shopping equals perfect vacation for me. Enjoy the rest of your time in NYC, Ameena!

52. July 25, 2011 8:07 am

Wait and walking all over Manhattan instead of sitting in a car in LA does not count for exercise? You should give yourself some credit, plus if you really feel that guilty I am sure park Meridiean has a gym Noo? I am just impressed you work out everyday for over an hour and watch what you eat, you are so LA, see NY looks so much better on you 🙂

53. July 25, 2011 8:30 am

Two thumbs up for no gym. And another two thumbs for the chocolate cake, even if it was overrated.

54. July 25, 2011 8:31 am

An hour every day? Your stomach is probably in knots because of so much time worried about working out and what you’re eating. You need to relax and enjoy that extra fry or two. With all the running around keeping Maya and Ali in line I’m sure you’re getting more exercise than most people in the U.S. You sure look fantastic.

55. July 25, 2011 10:21 am

I am so proud of you!! I feel like walking around all day counts as an active day anyway, but I am so glad you feel okay with enjoying your holiday. You deserve it.

56. July 25, 2011 10:37 am

I know what you mean and agree that this is progress! i still get panicky when I go somewhere and there is no gym….we were surprised there was no gym @ our hotel in Nice, but quickly realized that it is not the cure all. I think that sometimes i like the control aspect/knowing that there will be something familiar. convinced ali to move yet?

• July 25, 2011 9:28 pm

I used to panic over there not being a gym. Actually, I even used to determine where I’d stay in Europe depending on the gym at each hotel. Looking back I realize just how sad that really is…

Still working on Ali. I made some progress but I still need to chip away…slowly…

57. July 25, 2011 10:38 am

GOOD for you my friend!!! Actually I haven’t worked out in a week either – we left last Monday to vacay at the beach…..and I have not worked out since – unless you call playing softball working out? I did sweat a ton. But for someone that is used to working out any other day that I’m not playing ball….it sort of freaked me out – but then again like you I had a few of my kiddos waffle fries…and had my fair share of ice cream every night last week. It.WAS.AWESOME.

• July 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Waffle fries. I haven’t had those in about a decade! Chick-Fil-A has the BEST waffle fries!!

58. July 25, 2011 11:49 am

Sounds like the perfect formula to me! We all need a break sometimes…good for you!

59. Leslie permalink
    July 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Je suis desolee. You think Serendipity is massive overrated? My dear, that Frozen Hot Chocolate is 2.Die.4 imho.

I agree the rest is touristy, but hey, in comparison to Disneyland…..

60. July 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Walking is the best exercise! You do a lot of that in NYC. In all seriousness, this is great progress and you should be proud about it. 🙂

61. July 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Congratulations!!! That is something to be proud of (being serious!)!!. It is time to loosen up, relax and enjoy life- no “should”, “shouldn’t” etc. Great pictures!!!!

62. July 25, 2011 6:50 pm

LOVE that occasional week off of the gym. And next time you’re in NY, we should do lunch. But not at Le Parker Meridien. Serendipity, maybe.

• July 25, 2011 9:30 pm

I’d love to have lunch with you! Anywhere BUT Serendipity and Le Parker Meridien. Anywhere!

63. July 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I have no idea of how this one slipped past, lady!

I’ll be honest, sometimes when I’m on vacation my body gets so confused that I lose weight without dong anything. So if you ever hear chocolate cake calling your name, HIT IT.

p.s. If you ever need to share with someone when you’re operating on EST, Tweet a sister – CST is only an hour off and I’m pretty much up every morning at 5 AM…Tragic? Or reality?

64. magicofspice permalink
    July 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Good job Ameena! I think I like your plan…now if I could just manage a vacation 🙂

65. July 30, 2011 3:45 pm

totally belated on this, but i congratulate you on the non-gym-going as well, and totally understand. having had to slow down myself recently it’s hard at first — but then you get used to it and realize that nothing truly catestrophic occurs!

also, reading the ramadan post, maybe it’s good that you stocked up 🙂 i really have no idea how you do it – 15 hours sounds SO HARDDDDDDD! i can barely make it 3 sometimes.

66. August 1, 2011 3:37 pm

Love NYC!! And what a great motivation you have, I applaud you for celebrating life and not just fret about gym all the time 🙂 Kudos sista!

67. August 1, 2011 9:54 pm

This always gets me curious, why are u so conscious when it comes to eating fried or sugary stuff? i mean i agree with all clauses of balanced diet, but come on! you are so slim, so can take these liberties without the guilt bite. thats for me, who has potential to gain weight, feels guilty yet never bothers to step in gym :p

• August 2, 2011 6:43 am

Since I rarely eat sugary/fried stuff I don’t crave it. And then when I finally do eat it I end up feeling kind of gross and I tell myself I’m not going to succumb again!

1. 2+ years later « Fancy That…Fancy This