who would’ve thought?

May 19, 2011

Often, in an effort to be a good wife, I will ask Ali about his day.

Yesterday was one of those days. So I rattled off the usual questions: How was work? How was your commute? What did you do for lunch? Where did you go for your dinner meeting?

You ready? To hear what he ate yesterday? Well here’s the abbreviated version:

“For lunch I had a Big Mac and some Chicken Nuggets. I was hungry a little later so I went to Starbucks and had a latte. And then some trail mix. And a banana. My dinner meeting was at Fleming’s. I had a filet, lobster mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and a chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream.”

This was taken in Paris...how does one have a lava cake and ice cream mere hours after indulging in coffee ice cream and macaroons at Laduree?

I shudder as I replay this conversation in my head. I can almost feel Ali’s arteries clogging up.

I swear I’m not jealous that Ali can eat anything he wants and not gain an ounce – truly, I’m over that. If anything, I’m kind of amazed that my husband can eat 5,000 calories and go straight to bed without a second thought about how he should have at least walked more than the 5 feet from Fleming’s valet parking to the front door of the restaurant.

I never thought I’d say this, but I think we can all learn a little something from my husband here. Who would’ve thought?

1. May 19, 2011 1:48 am

Give him a break…lol. Food is there to be eaten and more importantly enjoyed. I have a similar habit to your husband but maybe not as much food intake during the day – when you have a busy life (especially work) then eating quality food and plenty of it just allows you to break away for a moment from work pressures.

2. May 19, 2011 2:14 am

Guys metabolisms are insane! And I’ve had that meal at Flemings before. Amazing! I would skip the mcds tho 🙂

3. squigglefloey permalink
    May 19, 2011 2:22 am

Haha. Yay Ali for teaching us a lesson in Thursday’s post 🙂

4. May 19, 2011 2:37 am

I love how he went from McDonalds to Starbucks to Flemings without a second thought. It is just all food to him.

I always regret when I ask my husband about his day. It always results in some long drawn out answer that I don’t really care about.

5. May 19, 2011 4:03 am

I love that men are sort of like children in how they view food. Hear me out- it’s a compliment, I swear!

They eat when they’re hungry. They eat what they feel like eating. And then they eat until they’re satisfied. No second thoughts. No guilty. They just do. And there’s really nothing wrong with that. Much more healthy than the way the majority of the female population overanalyzes food… am I right?

Grrrrr…. :p

6. May 19, 2011 4:16 am

Guys are blessed with a great metabolism and attitude. I really wish I could eat that much and then sleep like a baby.

7. May 19, 2011 4:22 am

Oh what joy to read your post with my feet up for a few minutes enjoying a coffee without the kids all over me. HILARIOUS. I wish I could hear your sweet (and very innocent seeming) Ali rattle off what he ate. My favourite was your opening line…I never ask Shaune how his day was. Often I give him a few moments to get into comfy clothes before letting him know just how exhausted I am.

• May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Ali is actually VERY innocent. It’s me who has a master in ulterior motives…unfortunately.

8. May 19, 2011 5:58 am

Indulgence is the key to a happy life. 🙂

9. May 19, 2011 5:58 am

I think you just took a snapshot of my marriage. My husband can eat endless amounts of junk but not gain a lb. I love that he had a banana and trail mix midday, did you sneak those into his briefcase for him? 🙂

• May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes, I absolutely did in hopes he’d eat less junk. Clearly that didn’t work!

10. May 19, 2011 6:02 am

Oh to eat and think like a man!

I’d give a pretty penny to have one, just one day where I could do that… without the mental and physical pain that would inevitably ensue otherwise.

Go Ali!

11. May 19, 2011 6:07 am

You know, enjoying life. That’s the key! And, now I want lava cake!

12. May 19, 2011 6:27 am

Vishnu is the same way! And it amazes me, especially when he tells me that he ate a “few” cookies with milk before bed. “It helps him sleep better.” Huh?! Boogles my mind! Hey, whatever works, right!?

13. May 19, 2011 6:54 am

Wow, I think are hubby’s are twins.

A typical day for Zach is: large latte and bacon/egg/cheese bagelwich for breakfast. Candybar for a snack. Lunch out with coworkers at an Indian buffet. Bag of chips or my baked goods for PM snack. Running late at work requires him to pick up In N Out on the way home. Midnight snack is chips and salsa.

Really? really.

• May 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Fries and chips in the same day? That just goes against everything I know. Kudos to your hubby for making it happen! And not stressing about it.

14. May 19, 2011 7:03 am

I’m with Ali, but with more salad and less… well, tallow.

15. May 19, 2011 7:05 am

welllllllllllllllllll

I’m jealous!

My husband is the same way. He can eat anything.

damn testosterone.

🙂

Good for Ali, but I would be nagging him about health too, just like I do mine!

Happy almost Friday Ameena!

16. May 19, 2011 7:08 am

Umm…is it wrong that I want to eat with Ali? Sorry Hun, totally nothing against you. It’s all about the food. Always has been, always will be :-P. And now I’m craving lava cake. Yes, still easily influenced.

• May 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Mmmm, I was going to say that too., Lava Cake is way too hard to turn my back on 🙂

• May 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I used to LOVE lava cake but now, after 2 bites, I find it too sweet! I’m pretty disappointed in myself.

17. May 19, 2011 7:09 am

Ha, just slip him something whole wheat and some veggies once in a while. He’ll be fine, lol.

18. May 19, 2011 7:28 am

he should enjoy it cause as soon as he hits 50…not good lol

19. May 19, 2011 7:32 am

You can’t help but be envious of that kind of metabolism. If it helps at all, that will change over time 🙂 This is my first visit to your blog and I’ve spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I’m so glad I did. You’ve created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve spent here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

20. May 19, 2011 7:40 am

Ok I’m glad M and Ali are different in this matter. My man never over eats and if he does, he spends hours cribbing about the fact that I *let* him over eat. There is nothing worse than an hour of senseless nagging of BS by a full stomached man. Trust me! 😀

• May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

How dare you “let” him overeat?? My dad says something similar to my mom, all the time. I find it…bizarre.

21. May 19, 2011 7:45 am

Wow! Talk about a crazy appetite! I have to say though- I kind of wish I could (not that I would) have that much and not bat an eyelash (or have to fall into severe food coma)

22. May 19, 2011 7:45 am

That just so happens to be my favorite dessert in the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That being said, it’s not just about weight-It’s about your heart right? People who can get away with eating 20 million calories and not gain probably still shouldn’t. And no, I’m not hating either just because I can’t do that and I’m jealous……Ha!!

23. May 19, 2011 7:51 am

My hubby is diabetic, so this menu won’t suit for him. Poor guy always end up with salad and chicken during business lunch.

24. May 19, 2011 7:51 am

As I said on Twitter, if I didn’t like him, I’d hate him. Was the lesson: it’s wonderful to be born with a fabulous metabolism? or: Life is meant to be enjoyed- eat all the delicious food you can get into your gullet? or: Don’t worry about exercise if you’re genetically gifted.? So many lessons, grr. Now’ I’m off for a walk…

25. May 19, 2011 8:33 am

My boy is the same way! It amuses me and make me wonder where the heck it all goes…

26. May 19, 2011 9:22 am

Good on you for being the good wife! 🙂 Most days I don’t even bother asking about the husband’s day.

And If I ate the way my husband did I would be a giant ball. Hate how nature works this way….

27. May 19, 2011 9:45 am

You are too funny! I usually ask my boyfriend how his day was and hear something equally unappealing…like how he didn’t eat anything until 5pm and then ate a can of chili, chips and salsa, and 10 reese’s pb cups…

28. May 19, 2011 9:50 am

I wish I could like this all the time 😦

29. May 19, 2011 10:06 am

I love how men teach me to eat what I want, when I want it, and to not eat it if I don’t. I really love your sense of critical thinking here…and that you give him proper credit while making yourself look good.

30. May 19, 2011 10:09 am

Glad to hear you can learn something from him. It’s amazing how much some guys can eat, and not think twice about it.

31. May 19, 2011 11:05 am

Truth: guys have insanely fast metabolism.
    Truth: I’m sure if you ate what he did, you’d be sick to your stomach. So don’t feel bad!

We’re all made completely differently and I know you aren’t comparing your diet to Ali’s because you know you’re different people. Still, this just goes to show you how different we really are!

I think Ali is teaching a good lesson, like the commenter above me said, eat what we want! (But that also includes eating what makes us feel good).

32. May 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Well you might not be jealous of how much Ali can eat, but I will admit that I am 🙂

33. May 19, 2011 12:39 pm

I would give up one of my kids to be able to eat like that!! Obviously kidding, but I would give up something great.

34. May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Wow . . . sounds to me like Ali had a good day! 🙂

35. Ruhi permalink
    May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Anwer and I are definitely not that lucky, alrough I really remember being that way up until I him my mid 20s. Oh, the good ‘ol days of eating anything with no regret. Now we are obsessed with our weights it seems like. Before I eat anything, I really do think about the weight it may add, the benefits or the disadvantages. I will say I usually eat it anyway, but the thought crosses my mind always.

36. May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Yummm, Fleming’s 😉 Men are such good little fat burners. Tell me how you got over the annoyance caused by a man who can eat anything and not gain an ounce because my husband can suck down 6000 calories in one sitting (he only eats once a day and otherwise lives off coffee, diet coke and cigarettes) and doesn’t gain an ounce! Meanwhile, I look at cake and the ounds creep on – so unfair!

• May 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I figure I can’t be annoyed with EVERYTIHNG Ali does…I bring enough of his irritating habits to his attention. I’m sure he’d agree…

37. May 19, 2011 4:14 pm

When I see men enjoying choclate cake so whole heartedly I feel evolution has been so unkind to the better half of the world in this body metabolism matter.

We can definitely learn from Ali – yes and that is not to compare ourselves to those lucky ones.

38. Janelle permalink
    May 19, 2011 5:36 pm

My husband’s metabolism must have just caught up with him, because he is suddenly having to watch himself a bit more…and I hate to say I’m getting a small amount of joy out of his newfound food caution…

39. May 19, 2011 6:47 pm

You know what just came into my head as I read this hilarious post? “I don’t think, therefore I am”! Yup, that covers Ali and most of the male populace. God bless them! 🙂

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

40. May 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Although I’ve gotten a lot better at not overanalyzing things, I still haven’t been able to give it up completely. What I wouldn’t give to be able to eat with the reckless abandon I had when I was younger, when the only thought that went through my head was something like “want cookie? eat cookie!”.

41. May 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Maybe we should action the law of More is More and just eat until our metabolisms catch-up. We’ll either win, or will be viciously ill from here until eternity. What’s not to love, right?

Marcus has a fairly decent metabolism, but Ali has him beat for sure. Maybe it’s time to take him on the professional eating circuit?

42. May 19, 2011 8:21 pm

CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE???

Sorry, I tend to shout when I read something I really love to eat.

Men can snarf anything down and be skinny and whatever. So not fair. Maybe they should be the one having babies and the baby weight, heh.

• May 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I used to eat anything I wanted before Maya…sigh. Babies ruin everything.

43. May 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Dear me .. Thats a LOT of FOOD 😀 lol.

44. Galit Breen permalink
    May 20, 2011 3:06 am

Hmm. *I* don’t actually have to be over being jealous of his mad calorie in-taking skills, do I?!

It is truly amazing. I adore the photo, too! Paris=swoon!

XO

45. May 20, 2011 6:01 am

Mmmmmm, love a good molton chocolate cake. Men and their metabolisms – it just isn’t fair. I pretty consistently out eat my husband at meals but then I don’t really eat in between and he is the king of between meal snacks and like last night had two desserts. Not fair.

46. May 20, 2011 7:22 am

After reading this post, I kinda want a Big Mac. Mmmmmmm.

47. May 20, 2011 7:23 am

I’m seeing someone who packs away enormous quantities of food and drink and then it apparently instantly converts itself to muscle in him. I think he’s a freak of nature.

48. May 20, 2011 8:50 am

Hmm, pondering the lesson . . .

49. Piya Ganwani permalink
    May 20, 2011 9:40 am

that lava cake looks amazing! about mens metabolism vs womens…my hubby and i did the same diet last summer. i lost 8 pounds in 2 months and he lost the 8 pounds the first week. seriously. life is soooo unfair!

• May 20, 2011 7:20 pm

I don’t understand why men lose weight so easily? What are we missing?

50. May 20, 2011 10:04 am

I agree – we can definitely learn a lot from him! Being neurotic about food is so miserable. But I think his dinner sounded pretty healthy right up until the dessert.

51. Leslie permalink
    May 20, 2011 11:40 am

Wow, that’s impressive! At least it’s Laduree, not MacDonald’s for Le Big Mac, eh?

BTW, you were particularly witty today. I’m so glad you won – you had my vote!

• May 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you Leslie…it was my first win! I can’t believe it. 🙂

52. May 20, 2011 11:52 am

People say to me “you’re a nutritionist, your husband must be so healthy”. That’s pretty funny. At least your husband was honest, my husband now sneaks food (kidding sort of).

53. May 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I am one of those blessed ones like your hubby.. high metabolism. Having said this .. if i eat that much .. i know i will running an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill the next day 🙂
    PS: I am craving for lobster now …

54. May 21, 2011 4:36 am

ha, my husband is the same way except he will proclaim that he ‘needs to go running.’ (whether he actually does it, though, is often another story 🙂 ).

he definitely has a healthy metabolism but part of it is that he can go a long time without eating (“forgets” to eat!?? WHO DOES THAT?) and then has to make up for lost time . . .

ps: you are hilarious. the dishwasher entry right below this is SO. TRUE. in our house as well.

55. May 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Oh boys..my boyfriend can EAT like crazy. It’s entertaining 😀

56. May 21, 2011 10:08 pm

if only i could eat like that and not worry about my weight!!

57. May 22, 2011 5:07 am

Did you ever see Last Holiday with Queen Latifah? I’ve come to look at food like that. Wipe the table of all the processed, fast-cooked, junk. But, when presented with something that’s been lovingly created, labored over, masterpieced, no matter what the ingredients, relish it, enjoy it and devour it. Life’s too short to eat bird seed and foliage. He may be a bit over-the-top with it, but those who go to the other extreme are even more so in my book because they’re not even enjoying what they eat. Kudos to Ali.

58. Melvin permalink
    May 22, 2011 6:04 am

Please help me i need help melvin@sph.com.sg

59. May 22, 2011 12:57 pm

You’re not jealous? Cause I most definitely am!

60. May 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Totally unfair. It’s like when my husband runs twice a week and loses 10 lbs in a month. I work out 5 times a week and watch my food like a hawk and I’m lucky to lose 2 lbs. Depressing, really.

61. May 26, 2011 7:55 am

Haha! I wonder if the hubby’s do the same with wives who works. I mean, just by asking “how was your day”. Am I expecting too much? Or too soon? 😉

62. May 26, 2011 6:31 pm

I must say I am jealous!

63. June 3, 2011 8:50 am

i guess texting and being on the computer all day burns more calories than I thought.