breakfast in bed

March 21, 2011

After an unexpected 9 hours of sleep, I woke up yesterday morning with an unfamiliar feeling…I felt like being nice. Maya, on the other hand, did not wake up in a good mood and fought my good cheer at every opportunity.

Me: “I’m making waffles, doesn’t that sound good?”

Maya: “Why can’t we have pancakes?”

I took a deep breath.

Maya: “Why do I only get one waffle if dad gets 3?’

Me: “Do you want another?”

Maya: “No.”

I took another deep breath.

Me: “How about we surprise Dad and give him breakfast in bed?”

Maya: “Why don’t I ever get breakfast in bed?”

Maya and I aren’t speaking to each other. Indefinitely. On the plus side, Ali seemed pleased with his breakfast in bed.

Homemade waffles, scrambled eggs and grapefruit with a silent side of, "You better not have a single issue with this breakfast."

I think he only wanted one waffle but under my glaring eye he ate every single bite. And as I watched him do just that I realized it’s just a matter of time before I kill Maya’s spirit too.

Wish me luck.

1. March 21, 2011 2:47 am

Ameena! so funny. I remember my kids doing the exact same lol Hope Ali enjoyed the brekky….
    Ha! its not breaking them it’s teaching them who’s boss 🙂

2. March 21, 2011 2:50 am

hahahaha so funny … couldn’t stop laughing 😀 very aquarian of you 😀 lol

3. March 21, 2011 3:16 am

The Husband always knows to gobble up whatever I make him without a hitch! 🙂

4. March 21, 2011 4:08 am

Aww! You 3 are so cute! Have a great Monday!

5. March 21, 2011 4:09 am

Ahahaha… force-feeding breakfast in bed. You’re so sweet! 🙂

And I’m jealous of the 9 hours. That’s just awesome.

6. March 21, 2011 4:13 am

I always feel that when I wake up in a good mood the complaints and mood of my children can quell it in an instant. Yes, your husband knew what was good for him and leaving food certainly wasn’t.

7. March 21, 2011 4:30 am

Ohhhh Maya. This is definitely a meal worth appreciating. You can cook me breakfast any day!

8. March 21, 2011 4:40 am

Haha, love it! If it helps, I don’t think my husband would have even eaten every bite, he tends to not eat it if it doesn’t want it, period … Maybe when we have kids that dynamic will change? 😉

9. March 21, 2011 4:56 am

Hmmm… don’t think I’ve ever made Mr P breakfast in bed. For that matter, I’ve never made waffles! Oh I think you are trying to outshine me daaaaaahling. Must learn to make waffles now ASAP!
    p.s. good sleep is so important. You must now master the art of the “mid afternoon nap” as I have 😉

10. March 21, 2011 5:36 am

I’m more interested in the view. well, the view plus that delicious looking breakfast. they go perfect together. You were so sweet to do that for ali. I’m counting on you getting breakfast in bed sometime soon 😉

• March 22, 2011 12:08 pm

I know! What a view! It must be noise and chaos when you walk outside though?…I like the benefits of apartment style living – do you guys have plans for a house?

Um, your a freaking good wife – waffles?! I would have held a gun to his head as well…;)

11. March 21, 2011 6:28 am

You always manage to put some laughter into my morning. You crack me up! Gary (aka my germophobic) doesn’t like eating on the bed. The only time I get breakfast in bed is when I wake up, make myself breakfast and hop back into bed beside him. When he wakes ups I tell him he can’t have any because he doesn’t like eating on the bed. See, ain’t I a considerate wife? That way we both win 😉

12. March 21, 2011 6:44 am

hilarious!!!! lol the breakfast looks so good btw and the grapefruit is very pink!!!! i had cheerios for breakfast…i guess i shuda waited cause later my mom made my eggs but i wasnt hungry cause of the cereal i had before lol…i love when my mom makes me food!

13. March 21, 2011 7:34 am

Wow, that’s so … nice! I’ve never voluntarily made anyone breakfast in bed before. You are clearly one selfless lady.

14. March 21, 2011 7:40 am

I don’t have children, but being one myself is recent enough history that I can remember being just as illogically whiny sometimes. I had siblings, too, which amplified the serving comparison game. How come Andrew gets the pancakes right off the pan and I get the ones that were sitting there for two minutes? How come Ryan gets more beef and I’m stuck with the broccoli? If the opportunity to complain ever arose, you can be sure at least one of us would take it.

15. March 21, 2011 8:13 am

How sweet of you! What a beautiful, well-balanced breakfast (and you have quite a nice view to go with it!)

16. March 21, 2011 8:34 am

sounds like a pretty wonderful weekend ameena!

17. March 21, 2011 8:38 am

Mmmm waffles! We need to have waffles when I visit (at some point). PS: The view from your apartment looks fabulous!

18. March 21, 2011 9:31 am

How sweet! I have those rare days when I wake up in an amazing mood too but I guess I’m so grouchy normally that when I do something uncharacteristic like serve breakfast in bed, people think I’m having a bad day! Btw the view from your window looks exactly like one from a south-Mumbai high-rise 🙂

19. March 21, 2011 9:43 am

Sounds like many conversations around here with Karlie. I think I’ll talk to her again when she’s 21.

20. March 21, 2011 9:57 am

I think the best part of the breakfast wass your silent side 🙂

Great view from you window.

21. March 21, 2011 10:06 am

This is when you hold up the “It’s not about you” sign.

22. March 21, 2011 10:11 am

How sweet of you! I don’t know if i’d have the motivation to get up and make waffles in the morning in the first place much less serve them to someone in bed, you mustv’e had some GREAT sleep 😀

23. March 21, 2011 10:29 am

That was a really nice thought. I am sure he was thinking to himself you must want something really big.

24. March 21, 2011 11:28 am

haha love it!
    The rule in my house has always been “if I cooked it, you’ll eat it – even if you dont like onions you will eat every last bite. I paid for those suckers”.

25. March 21, 2011 12:17 pm

The other option is have Maya or Ali make breakfast for you but then you probably would not like the state of your kitchen after. Get some ear plugs and even more sleep 🙂

26. Kath (My Funny Little Life) permalink
    March 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Hahaha, what people do for love and because of assumed expectations! With others, you can never do it right … That’s life. 😉

27. March 21, 2011 1:11 pm

hmm, sounds very familiar in my house! oh how I would love if my family would love every single meal I made for them..in my dreams!

28. March 21, 2011 1:19 pm

bahahahahahha! Tell Maya she can have breakfast in bed once she brings YOU B-I-B =) Fair arrangement eh?

ps: those waffles look perfeeeeect! so golden! hehe i always burn mine or under-do them!

29. March 21, 2011 1:50 pm

great, candid convo there

30. March 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Those waffles look amazing! Ali is a lucky guy. I think Andy would keel over if I had him breakfast in bed. I’m never up before him!

31. March 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Spirit killing or not… I am not sure I have served anyone breakfast in bed!

I take that back. I was 8… the meal was cereal. If milk soaked sheets don’t say Happy Mother’s Day than I don’t know what does!?

You get an A+ in my book!

32. March 21, 2011 2:54 pm

i totally understand the silent ” you better not have a single issue with this.” every time i try and do something nice for mark he finds a reason to rain on my parade (most recently i bought him a 12 pack of cherry dr pepper, and he informs me he likes regular better. wtf?)

33. March 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Aww, you’re a lovely wifey!

Pfft, never put up with hubby’s being ungrateful. Or children. But sticks are great tools for learning to be grateful!

34. March 21, 2011 3:42 pm

What a loving wife! I love breakfast (any meal) in bed!

35. March 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Kids are sooo picky sometimes! I gave my niece (she’s 5) a birthday gift and she just rolled her eyes when she opened up the Disney Princess sticker book. She said “Aunt Lindsey I already have a lot of stickers and princess books. See” and then she showed me her drawer of about 20 books. I was this close to sticking my tongue out at her.

36. March 21, 2011 3:49 pm

I would be very grateful for breakfast in bed. 🙂 And nine hours of sleep sounds lovely.

37. March 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Aw, such a nice wife! I would have smacked my husband if he complained. That’s what the evil eye is for though. 😉

38. March 21, 2011 4:04 pm

So nice of you! Breakfast in bed sounds awesome. Hopefully there are no crumbs there tonight;)

39. March 21, 2011 4:43 pm

it’s amazing what 9 hours of sleep can do to a brain. i want someone to make me breakfast in bed. not even my mother would do that for me when i was sick hahah!

40. March 21, 2011 5:23 pm

How sweet of you 🙂

41. March 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I know what I’m pleased with is the view from your place 🙂

What just kills me is when I’ve just made a hot breakfast for myself (oatmeal, eggs) and then Marcus wants a hot breakfast made for him as well JUST as I’m about to sit down. Seriously!?

42. March 21, 2011 5:48 pm

If I am going to bring someone breakfast in bed, they better eat every.last.drop.

43. Samantha permalink
    March 21, 2011 6:06 pm

I can’t ever get enough of that view from your condo–so cool!

44. March 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I could eat this meal every day of the week. waffles, pancakes, same difference 🙂

45. March 21, 2011 7:21 pm

How sweet! At least Ali appreciated your efforts-and I know he did-even if Maya doesn’t quite get it.

46. March 21, 2011 7:48 pm

you’re so sweet. breakfast in bed is pretty much the nicest thing in the world that you can do for someone.
    i remember once i tried to make my parents breakfast in bed…i probably just gave them cereal…they were so ungrateful!! 😉

47. March 21, 2011 8:02 pm

If killing their spirits means that they are forced to eat breakfast in bed, I don’t think you’re quite the scary mommy you make yourself out to be.
    But I’m with you, if I go to the effort to make someone food they better eat every last bite, and they damn well better enjoy it!

48. March 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Haha! I’ll take that breakfast and the view please 🙂

49. March 22, 2011 3:06 am

Haha – I’m sure he appreciated the breakfast in bed 🙂 Kids are supposed to give you trouble…thats why we have them – as payback for when we were younger

50. March 22, 2011 3:30 am

Owhhhh, I love the powers of the killer stare, I’m working on mine too with very pleasing results. Go you good thing 🙂

51. March 22, 2011 3:42 am

Wow! I am very impressed by you. I have never ever in my life served my husband breakfast in bed and I don’t anticipate it happening anytime soon!

Why do children have to be like that? Why can’t they just accept the best in us and stop pushing us to do more!!!

52. March 22, 2011 4:32 am

Wow! What a view and a great photo of the breakfast! It looks delicious. All I got to say about you and Maya is….wait til she turns seventeen…. It magnifies! Cute story!

53. March 22, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Ameena…have been following your blog for a while…I “know ” you 🙂

54. March 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Ooo, poor little Maya crankypants 🙂 Breakfast in bed is such a great gesture… and it looks good too!

55. March 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Glenn has eaten many dinners that he hasn’t quite loved (read: way too healthy) under my focused glare. Ha ha, glad to have a friend in that department.

56. March 22, 2011 5:06 pm

I think of the donkey from Shrek when I think of waffles. Maybe Maya would be more enthused after watching Shrek 3 =). Loving the pink grapefruit!

57. March 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Haha! 🙂 That’s so sweet to have an early breakfast in the bed!

58. March 23, 2011 2:26 am

Awwwww, you are so sweet to fix Ali breakfast in bed!!!

59. March 23, 2011 2:32 am

my mum has a habit of giving me breakfast in bed, it feels very sweet, you should do it more often 🙂

60. March 23, 2011 4:11 am

Secretly: You are the nicest of the nice!
    Not so secretly: I adore you! XO

61. March 23, 2011 4:55 am

Ahaha, my brothers do this all the time it drives me crazy! Hellooo, ask your other sweaty middle school friends if they have sister make them food out of the goodness of their heart!

62. March 23, 2011 8:45 am

Sounds like your dudette needs a dose of “I hate to break it to you, but you’re not the most important person in the world.” I have to do that with mine regularly.

Did you know I’m afraid of heights? I look at that picture and don’t see the food. I see how much I’d have to keep the blinds shut. All the time.

63. March 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Let Maya know she can have breakfast in bed as soon as she make it for you 🙂

64. March 23, 2011 1:30 pm

You’re sweet. 🙂
    And oh Maya, YOU’RE supposed to be the one making breakfast in bed for your parents. one day. 🙂

65. March 23, 2011 1:57 pm

heh heh heh heh heh… so get it.

66. March 23, 2011 6:48 pm

You are one up on me. I made breakfast IN THE KITCHEN last week and Corey spent all day praising me. It was enough to make sure I don’t repeat for another year.

67. March 23, 2011 9:15 pm

you’re an awesome mom! I hate making both waffles and pancakes. What a delectable plate and view. Your blog is addictive-ly great! 🙂

68. March 24, 2011 2:38 am

Aww, I really thought you were give breakfast in bed as it was Mother’s Day here in the Arab World; 21st of March. Still, that was so nice of you.

69. March 24, 2011 2:39 am

*given

70. March 25, 2011 10:23 am

Breakfast in bed…nice! He will need to remember this one all year long 😉

71. October 23, 2014 12:58 am

That is a really good tip especially to those
    fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information… Appreciate your sharing this
    one. A must read article!