Trouble in the Tech World

October 28, 2010

I got in trouble today.  Big trouble.

There Ali was, all excited because he was able to utilize his mi-fi (not to be confused with wi-fi) at the car wash, thus allowing him to “set up a mobile office” while he watched the love of his life (his car, not me) get shiny and new again…when I so viciously burst his bubble.

I broke his precious camera.

I’m not going to lie – I am not exactly careful with technology.  My phone has dropped more times than I can count, my laptop screen imploded at one point, and my iPad suddenly has a very big scratch on the back and I have no idea why.

This time I wasn’t even being careless!  The  camera simply slipped out of my fingers as I was taking pictures of my clothes.  (Yes I realize that sounds odd but I promise I had a good reason to take photos of my clothes – and no, I was not selling them on eBay.)

This is now what our camera looks like. Even in the "off" position.

There are three things that set Ali off:

1. When someone messes with his technology.
  2. When someone messes with his car.
  3. When someone messes with his technology.

Obviously I’ve violated rules 1 & 3 and I will surely be paying for it for days, maybe weeks to come.  But it’s okay because I figure I’ll just take it out on Maya.

Sometimes the greatest part of being a mother is having someone to yell at.

1. October 28, 2010 12:48 am

YIKES…broke the camera?? Cardinal sin if you ask me. Looks like it’s off to the dog house for you Ameena! Poor poor Maya!

2. October 28, 2010 1:32 am

You don’t want to get between a person and their tech gadgets. It could lead to very bad things. Hope you make it through the next couple of weeks okay. Perhaps you could pick up a piece offering for Ali – maybe a new camera?

3. October 28, 2010 2:07 am

Gosh your husband and mine are so alike. My husband loves spending rediculous amounts of money constantly getting his car valeted.
    Sorry to hear about the camera, maybe you can pretend it just kinda broke “on its own”, leave it for him to discover… ya know?
    Good luck!

4. October 28, 2010 2:40 am

Hey, we all have accidents!! I’ve broken my phone more times than I can count (including somehow chucking it in a glass of water), so really, it’s not your fault! I can understand how it’s Ali’s camera … but still, occasional mistakes show we’re human!

That said, I can’t open our cookbooks to >45 degree angle, because then Peter will swoop in and complain that I’m “breaking the binding”. Oh well, to each their own, right?

P.S. I love the pic of you and Maya among the pumpkins in your previous post. Precious!

5. October 28, 2010 2:52 am

Oh no! I’m sure he’ll forgive you – you definitely need to use the “safety strap” next time. My old college roomate (whenever we went out) if I were to take a picture with her camera, she would scream SAFETY STRAP because she knew how clumsy I was!

6. October 28, 2010 3:12 am

Bbbbbbbbroke the camera??? I am shuddering. But heck, it is already broken, so why not whack it again and see if you can fix it. Or not.

7. e m l permalink
    October 28, 2010 3:18 am

Oh no! Well…at least you can find a humorous story out of it…”Honey, look – it does make good material for my readers and book”…? 😉

8. October 28, 2010 3:58 am

Ply him with sex for forgiveness 😉

9. October 28, 2010 4:23 am

Ohhhhh, that’s never good 😦

10. October 28, 2010 4:30 am

Oh no! Hopefully you can get the camera fixed and it can all go away. Now why were you taking pictures of your clothes in the car? 😉

11. October 28, 2010 4:53 am

Ohhh I can definitely relate. I washed my husbands iphone once in his jeans (I may have already shared this, sorry if so!). He was NOT happy. Men and their technology…. 🙂

12. October 28, 2010 4:54 am

I’d turn it back on him. After all, if he’d gotten insurance on it like he should have he’d be able to get a nice new camera now.

• October 28, 2010 12:44 pm

This is a very valid point. See, I knew me dropping the camera was somehow Ali’s fault!

• October 28, 2010 3:05 pm

It’s always the man’s fault! Why would you even think otherwise?

• October 31, 2010 9:10 am

LOL – Absolutely!!

13. October 28, 2010 4:56 am

I think I’m party to blame for this one 😦 I’m so sorry! Maybe you can tell him it’s a good thing it broke so he can get a newer, snazzier model? Although I must admit, that is (was) one snazzy looking camera 🙂

• October 28, 2010 12:43 pm

You aren’t to blame at all – I blame my genetics for my complete lack of coordination.

14. October 28, 2010 4:57 am

OMG I AM PRONE TO BREAKING THINGS! lol I dropped my old camera and the same thing happened to my old one!! I never tried to get it fix though. I’m sure a camera shop can tweak it to make it work again. Ugh I def know how that feels … you are too funny the way you word thing! I love it

15. October 28, 2010 5:22 am

I don’t know how many times I’ve replaced a camera because of breaking it (over it just getting outdated). I’m clumsy. And seem to take it out on that one thing over and over again…

16. October 28, 2010 5:46 am

I love Ali’s mobile office! Oh no about the camera…like you said, the bright side is at least you have Maya, lol! 🙂

17. October 28, 2010 5:47 am

I broke my camera at the airport in Paris just as I was coming in to Europe and right before my wedding. THAT sucked.

18. October 28, 2010 6:41 am

Hope your couch is comfortable. 😉

The thing that sets my husband off is when technology is slow. If the Internet loads slowly or the printer won’t print or some other technological snag occurs. He lives in a dream world where all technology should work as planned.

19. October 28, 2010 6:59 am

I am the house camera breaker. JJ is the second best camera breaker. why I ever let him play with my one and only “throw away” as I call them…because they really only last 2 years and you need a new one…

is beyond me.

I am pretty good with the rest of my techie things but cameras…

I drop em.
    a lot!

20. October 28, 2010 7:15 am

oh no! i rarely use my camera because i’m so paranoid that i’m going to break it. hence why i never have pictures hahah

21. October 28, 2010 7:29 am

you should ell him he should be grateful because now he has a reason to go and geek out at the camera store for a new one 🙂

22. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    October 28, 2010 7:57 am

Ali should be glad you didnt get hurt. I mean, you could have lunged to save the camera, fallen, hit your head on a table and slipped into a coma.
    He should be relieved it was only the camera that got hurt.

23. October 28, 2010 8:02 am

Oh no! Hopefully a lot of kisses and I am so sorry hun will make it better and if it doesn’t perhaps you can make his favorite meal and see if that cheers him up.

24. October 28, 2010 8:04 am

ouch, you messed with his technology!! don’t you know that’s #1 AND #3 on the NO list?!

🙂

hopefully it will magically work again in a day or so…that can happen, i swear!

25. October 28, 2010 8:19 am

Seriously Ameena these pesky cameras have a self destruct button put there by the manufacturers which no doubt was going to explode all of its own when its time was up…., it was going to happen anyway girlfriend. I’d be telling that story for sure… 🙂 Now, all we gotta do is convince Ali & your world will be righted…, good thing you’ve got Maya there as a back up plan though.

26. October 28, 2010 8:31 am

Yes. I understand. For my husband:

1. When someone messes with his socks.

2. When someone messes with his dishwasher stacking.

3. When someone messes with his socks.

The man is ORGANIZED.

27. October 28, 2010 8:47 am

That is why I’m NOT allowed to touch my bf’s new camera 😀 I got his old one, because he doesn’t care what happens to it. Hahaha. I totally understand you!

28. October 28, 2010 9:11 am

I have a super old phone because Peter doesn’t trust me with technology either. He gets so annoyed that I keep my dslr in my purse. LOL

29. October 28, 2010 9:39 am

My husband lets our 5-year-old walk around with his iPhone.

Me? Not so much.

I know how you feel, but I’m sure I deserve it. I drop everything!

30. October 28, 2010 9:39 am

I once dropped my dad’s camera in Lake Michigan – lets just say it didn’t like surfin’ the waves. I bought an identical one off ebay (this was in the point ‘n shoot days) and replaced it, and he never knew. Just a thought…
    (although, weeks later, I got a notice from NY Police that the camera had been stolen and I had to provide info on the guy who sold it to me. I think Karma still follows me around on that one)

31. October 28, 2010 9:51 am

I thought rule #3 would have been “When someone messes with his technology in his car”.

Things break, get over it. But if it was my camera, I wouldn’t get over it.

I’m really just here for your tags. Insane.

We come down to LA when we want to visit the mouse. Come up and see our bridge. It’s kind of a big deal.

• October 28, 2010 11:46 am

Oh no! Good luck! Hope it all turns out better than expected.

32. October 28, 2010 10:34 am

oh my goodness – i couldn’t help but laugh when i read the last sentence!

33. October 28, 2010 10:51 am

LOL. Camera’s are replaceable. You always find a way to get yourself out of trouble. I’m like Ali in some ways. I get picky when others fuss around with my technology. Though, I’ve learned to not get so picky about it over the years.

34. October 28, 2010 11:56 am

Girl, even when you’re in deep deep doodoo, you’re hilarious. At least if you’d been messing with his car, you couldn’t have dropped it and it wouldn’t be stuck on the ‘on’ position!

35. October 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Oh man, this would totally happen to me.
    I drop my camera all the time and get it sticky with various food items i’m taking pictures of. I also plugged the wrong end of my camera cord into the usb port the other day and shorted my laptop. Fortunately my husband is used to this by now 🙂

36. October 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Haha. men and their technology. I also drop my phone too much. The side actually has come out-but it still works!! And that’s all that matters, right?

37. Kath (Eating for Living) permalink
    October 28, 2010 12:34 pm

I’m careful with technology, and I love it, but maybe I’m a man inside, LOL. Can you buy a new one before he knows? I know my Dad once did so when he had a car accident 20 yeas ago (his fault, he wanted to know how the breaks worked on an icy road) – he took the car to the garage to get a new fender and told my Mom he had left it at work and went home with somebody else. Unfortunately, that car was tomato red, and the workers at the garage didn’t manage to get a fender in the exactly same color, so the new fender was cherry red in the end (which has a little more blue than tomato red), and of course my Mom noticed immediately. My Dad has never done a break test again.

38. October 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Oh dear, I totally understand. Once I dripped sauce on “someone’s” laptop, and let’s just say somehow I ended up cooking AND doing dishes the whole week. If I ruined another thing of his, I woulda ended up doing all of his chores. Yes, the TWO that he has lol. So I feel your pain. Sorry about the broken camera. Out with the old, in with the new?

• October 28, 2010 12:45 pm

PS
      Oh, I say your camera because we all know, what’s his is yours 😉

39. October 28, 2010 12:47 pm

I break everything I touch, I swear. I’m a bull in a china shop around technology. I feel you on this one.

Hopefully you can get it repaired!

40. October 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Hahaha…poor Ali! I know Ryan FREAKS when I mess something up on the car like curbing the rims at the audi dealership right after it was serviced. Eeeekk. Not to mention all the other times I curbed them….

Remember that friends episode when Rachel was instructed to apologize by squeezing her chest together? Lol, this might work for Ali as well 😉

xxoo

41. October 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh no, sounds like a major violation. At least you know what to get him for Christmas, right?

42. actorsdiet permalink
    October 28, 2010 4:37 pm

eeeek.

43. October 28, 2010 5:27 pm

I will refrain from making a lewd comment about the permanent state of your camera lens. Nuff said 🙂

44. October 28, 2010 5:53 pm

How funny! Those that is the same number 1 and 3 as my husband’s list! His number two is a bit different though; don’t mess with taping of his college football game and/or the watching of his college football game. You will definitely feel the wrath.

Are you going to get a new camera?

• October 31, 2010 8:55 am

I think we are…it appears our camera is not worth getting fixed!

45. October 29, 2010 2:50 am

Eep. maybe if you bake him some cookies it will make up for it? Or maybe you can brainwash him into thinking that Maya did it. I hear hypnosis for something like that works really well…

46. October 29, 2010 6:17 am

CRAP….I hate it when I am human.

47. October 29, 2010 10:19 am

ouch. i’m careless with technology, too. does it help that i regret it (a lot) after the fact? i hope it gets fixed or replaced easily, that you don’t actually have to pay for it forever and seriously? you *kill* me with your tags! great post! 🙂

48. October 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I’m bad with technology also, drove off with my iphone on top of my car at least twice, thank goodness its in a protective case btw you should get one for the ipad, oh and you need pets, they are great to blame on stuff. The cat was walking on the counter top and pushed the camera on the floor.. shoot now its broken

49. October 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Wait, if he doesn’t know yet maybe you can carefully place it behind the wheel of his car when he is running out of a house in a hurry and watch him drive over it 🙂

50. October 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Awe! Sorry Ameena. I have slippery fingers too, and I’m so clumsy lately. I can trip over myself for no reason;)
    Well, I guess you guys get to get a new camera now. That’s kind of nice?! No?

51. October 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Hehe, would baking some cookies help matters? I was never very dignified when people broke my stuff…as my sister can attest. Particularly if she broke it.

Oh, and I nearly snorted my Diet Coke reading your “Wholesome” post and coming across Cross-Dressing Panda Express.

52. October 29, 2010 4:30 pm

When I have enough wine in me (like now), you know what I say? I say, just buy another one.

(Though those Nikons aren’t cheap. Make it up by skipping Target for a week. Ya know?)

53. October 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Sorry about your camera, hopefully Ali won’t be giving you cold shoulders too long. On the bright side, it’s almost Black Friday, maybe you can score some good deals on a really good digital camera.

54. October 29, 2010 11:47 pm

dang, that sucks. a few years ago, i broke my husband’s laptop. yeah….he wasn’t a happy camper either.:p

55. October 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh no! I’m so clumsy…I’m surprised I haven’t broken our camera already. I dropped my laptop last night…thank god apple does a good job at making these babies sturdy! Thanks for sharing…and I’m sorry about your (or his) loss!

56. Med permalink
    October 30, 2010 1:05 pm

So true about the things that set him off! And I recently added to #2! He was so mad about that parking sticker the stupid hoa people at my complex put on his windshield!

57. October 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Whoopsie! It was an accident. Aw, I would feel so guilty though. Poor baby. 😦

58. October 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Ameena, sorry to hear about the camera. Everyone makes mistakes. Your story made me laugh. I hope everyone survived.

FYI, I did not try out your recommended cheese and honey combo. Cheese with mold makes me squeemish. Can I try another combo on your behalf?

• November 1, 2010 1:24 pm

Cheese and honey are SO good together!! You should try it for sure!

59. October 31, 2010 6:39 am

When you’re taking it out on Maya, remember to use 50’s style phrases like “I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it,” and classics like, “Because I said so.”

That camera’s number was up. And no one likes old technology (even if it’s only been a month) so it’s time to send Ali packing to the electronic store.

60. October 31, 2010 7:44 am

My kids are always breaking my camera! Drives me crazy!

61. October 31, 2010 1:29 pm

that happens all the time to my Nikon!! all you have to do is take the memory card out and pop it back in. then it will turn off and the lens will pop back in! ❤ should work 100% then!

62. November 1, 2010 5:25 pm

Hey I have that same camera…stay away!
    JK…
    So why photos of your cloths? 🙂

• November 3, 2010 8:32 am

A friend wanted to borrow some of my Indian clothes so I took photos to send to her. Unfortunately I ended up having to use my iPhone for the photos because I couldn’t even get my pics off the broken camera!

63. November 2, 2010 6:49 am

for me, it’s always my husband who is dropping stuff. When he touches my camera i will look away and cross my fingers:) the same goes when he uses my ipad. just hope for the best right?

64. November 2, 2010 9:37 am

sorry about the camera, every one makes mistakes…but poor Maya 🙂

65. December 4, 2010 11:11 pm

ah! I told u this Ali and Murtaza are some kind of game, all the three points are valid on my (NOT) dude! Fortunately I haven’t broken his camera but I do hear the regular ” this is not how u keep the camera fool, you will damage the lens” or when wil u learn to charge the battery when it clearly shows low battery. Or if I ever shut his car door to loudly, he would bark at me. He’s so fussy! By the way hasn’t he broken anything in the house? Because thts exactly what I fight back with, count all the things he has broken (and things I knw he has not but I blame him ) ehehehe!

1. i am tire(d) «