The New Generation

August 27, 2010

After several years and hundreds of wasted dollars I finally found Maya a fantastic swimming teacher.  Maya is swimming like  a fish!  Butterfly, backstroke, dives, flips…the kid is like Flipper on steroids.

So what’s the problem?  Well Maya’s teacher is late 90% of the time and the situation is becoming intolerable at best.

Now anybody who knows me can attest to the fact that I HATE waiting around for chronically late people.  I especially don’t think I should have to wait 15-20 minutes for Maya’s swimming teacher when:

1. The lesson is only 30 minutes long.
  2. I am paying her $1 a minute.
  3. I am not related to her and thus I don’t have to be polite.
  4. She never feels the need to apologize.

“This generation just doesn’t care,” Ali said in response to my tirade.  “They think they are doing you a favor by showing up at all.”

DSCN1678

My cute kid is sporting a Speedo bathing suit courtesy of her grandmother's latest visit to Costco.

So while Ali waxes on about the ungrateful college grad he just interviewed, can I just share my “I walked 20 miles in the snow” story?

Back when I was a new college graduate, I landed my first real job at Paramount Pictures.  I made a whopping $29,000 a year before taxes.  I drove about 35 miles each way in the worst rush hour traffic you can imagine, and my commute took me 2-3 hours a day!

And yet, with the exception of the day I had a car accident with my dad’s new car (which I wasn’t supposed to be driving) I still got to work on time every morning with a smile on my face.  So is it unreasonable for me to expect Maya’s teacher to be on time just twice a week?

I hate confrontation but with my blood pressure rising by the minute I finally had to address things.  “If I was late to work every day,” I explained, “I would get fired.  So what do you propose as a solution to our problem here?”

“Well I can leave if you want?”

That’s basically all she said.  Which led me to wonder – does she not feel the need to explain herself?  Is the economy so great that she doesn’t need a job?  Is an apology out of the question?  Or is it me?  Am I just getting old and irritable?

Can someone please shed some light on this for me before I go mad?

1. August 27, 2010 3:05 am

Her behavior is unacceptable! Worse, she seems so apathetic to the situation. I would be frustrated too!

2. August 27, 2010 3:24 am

I’m constantly amazed by people who don’t think anything’s wrong with being late and it’s worse, in my opinion, when it’s your friends. One of my best friends is ALWAYS late and it makes me not want to hang out with her when I know I’ll be waiting in front of the movie theatre/restaurant/wherever for 10-30 minutes!

3. August 27, 2010 3:28 am

Uh it’s her JOB to be on time. If you don’t tell her something now then she’ll learn it the hard way when she gets a “real job”. Say something like “Hey I noticed you got here at 1:20 (instead of 1) I actually have an appointment somewhere at 1:45, can you be on time next time (thanks b!tch)”

4. August 27, 2010 3:33 am

Not just you. I can’t believe her response! That was uncalled for and just shows how little she cares and doesn’t get responsibility. It’s the parents and this new aged “my kid is always rate and we can’t hurt their feelings” crap. When I taught high school there were suggestions NOT TO GRADE IN RED PEN because it might hurt the kid’s FEELINGS! Are you kidding me?! And students had this air about them that things would come easily and they didn’t have to worry at all. Responsibility wasn’t preached because parents would contact me all the time with excuses for their child. And it got worse and worse every year. Grr. Makes my blood boil for you.

5. August 27, 2010 3:35 am

She said that to you?!?!!!! How rude!!

How many swimming lessons does Maya have left?

You could fire her now… or finish up whatever paid lessons are left and be done with her.

• August 27, 2010 9:05 am

Luckily I pay the teacher weekly so I don’t have to worry about unpaid lessons. The thing is that I really don’t want to have to try to find a new teacher so late in the summer! Hence, why I kept my mouth shut. Or tried to anyway.

6. August 27, 2010 3:36 am

Yeah, that would be annoying. Very. I guess that out and tell her “either you show up, or you’re gone”. Makes no sense.

7. August 27, 2010 3:41 am

Some of us wouldn’t mind making “a whopping $29,000 at Paramount Studios” my dear 😉 I suppose it’s perspective.

Speaking of which, I don’t care who you are or what you so–lateness is plain rude. It says to me that you think your time is much more valuable than mine, which we both know is crap.

If she doesn’t respect you enough to be on time, she doesn’t deserve your money or the chance to hang with Maya.

• August 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that $29,000 wasn’t a lot. It’s just that considering the number of hours I was working and my gas bills and wear and tear on my car I don’t even think I was breaking even!

8. August 27, 2010 3:49 am

I was talking about this with a client the other day – about how this generation is honestly just LAZY and have no respect – but not just for others, for themselves as well! You can see in in their appearance, and by doing things like showing up late, etc. How does that speak to her character?

How old is she? A teenager? I would assume (hope!) though if she’s late – that she still stays a WHOLE 30 minutes!!! But then , that puts you behind too if you have plans/appointments later…see, it’s so selfish on the part of the person.

And, yeah, I totally get you. I have to leave 30 minutes early myself, and at my former job it was an hour early just in case there was traffic. If my patients show up late – I don’t fool around – I let them know and cut the treatment down . If I’M the one that’s late (for unexpected reasons), I’ll be sure to get the whole session in.

Glad Maya’s swimming well though!!! I really, really wish that I knew how to swim (better)…a.k.a not use a floater and hang on for dear life in a shallow pool…or be able to say I can “knock out some laps”…;)

9. August 27, 2010 4:02 am

Way to go on addressing it calmly! But yeah… that is a ridiculous response. Basically she was just saying “I really don’t give a crap. If you let me go I can go back home and have my boyfriend come over while my parents are still gone. Please fire me.”

10. August 27, 2010 4:03 am

That is such a rude response. I deal with this a lot with my college kids– they were raised to think that their s*%t don’t stink (pardon my language). It makes for a highly obnoxious, incredibly self-centered human being. Ugh.

I would not go back to her, if you can find another teacher.

11. August 27, 2010 4:20 am

UGH. Apparently she has enough clients such that being on time doesn’t apply to her. So eff her. It does stink that you would have to start over looking for swim teachers but this person clearly has not respect for you or your time.

12. August 27, 2010 4:36 am

As if being late wasn’t reason enough to fire, I’d have fired her right there. Consistently coming in late is bad, not explaining or apologizing is worse. Apparently LA has plenty of jobs available since she can shrug this one away so easily.

It really does make me feel old when I think about how things used to be–and how the younger generation is kind of selfish. Don’t worry, though, they’ll figure out soon enough that the Earth does not in fact revolve around them.

13. August 27, 2010 4:41 am

I don’t care how good of a teacher she is, that attitude would have sent her packing in my book. It’s completely unacceptable and honestly, even though the second half of the lesson is great, the first half stinks since she’s not there teaching her anything, so averaged out, you can definitely do better.

I would give her the boot. Or the swimming fin as the case may be.

14. August 27, 2010 5:03 am

wow. that girl has balls! her response (and her behavior with the chronic lateness) is unacceptable. she totally should apologize to you but given her attitude i’d say you’d be waiting until h3ll freezes over. i’d say find a new instructor.

15. August 27, 2010 5:22 am

I think the word you’re looking for is hubris. The young lady thinks that she has something she’s offering that you won’t find elsewhere so you’ll wait on her. Same thing happens at doctors’ and dentists’ offices, no? You NEED them and HAVE to be there so they can pile five appointments at the same time knowing you’ll wait because you have to.

As far as the college grad, my family lives in a college town and classes started yesterday. I’m in Chicago visiting them and my brother said, “The intelligence level of this town just went up 100% and the common sense level just basemented out.” They think they know everything when they’re squeaky new out of school…that’ll change when they lose their first job and can’t find another.

16. August 27, 2010 5:35 am

Just. Wow.

Hmm. 29,000 starting out! I would have loved to get that much! I’m in my second year at my first job out of college and I’m making just 70% of that. And that’s before taxes and after our annual raise!

Of course, I’m not living in a big city either.

17. Jessica permalink
    August 27, 2010 5:46 am

People like that give my generation a bad rep and I hate it. I feel more mature than half the people my age. Maybe that’s just me being an 87 year old woman trapped in a 23 year old body. Anyway, when it comes to being on time, I am generally fifteen minutes early. My dad always said “it’s better to be two hours early than fifteen minutes late” and that’s stuck with me.
    On another note, I used to teach swim lessons through a swim school in Tulsa and I LOOOOOVED it. It is one of the most rewarding jobs out there.

• August 27, 2010 9:21 am

I am always early too! So when people are late and I’ve already been waiting it upsets me even more!

18. August 27, 2010 5:49 am

Is she desi? Because then the lateness might be genetic and/or cultural and you can’t hold her accountable 🙂 It’s clear talking to her won’t help so you may just have to wait until Maya finishes this set of swimming lessons and then try to find someone new.

19. August 27, 2010 5:57 am

Are we the same person? Because chronically late people are my biggest pet peeve. Being late once or twice in a blue moon is fine, but to be habitually tardy and not apologize gets my blood boiling too. Even worse, you are paying for her time!

So no, I do NOT think you are overexaggerating!

20. August 27, 2010 6:09 am

WOW.. holy crap.. i’d be pissed.. and i would have said something already. you handled it way more calmly than i would have!! and i consider myself to be a pretty calm person when it comes to confrontation (which i also hate..) but i would have put that stupid girl in her place right there and when she said “do you want me to leave?” i would have responded.. YES NOW! then followed that up with some colorful language

21. August 27, 2010 6:42 am

At the very least, she should be able to communicate why she’s chronically late. Does she have an appointment across town right before Maya’s, so it’s not even feasible for her to be on time? Whatever the issue, she should apologize and pay attention to being on time, schedule a new time, or offer to part ways. Annoying!

• August 27, 2010 11:34 am

The funny thing is that when I ask her why she’s late she gives me a different excuse every time…traffic, helping an elderly man who fell, her car overheated…the list is endless. The strange thing is that I believe her but it still doesn’t bother me any less.

22. August 27, 2010 6:54 am

Based on sheer principle, I would have let her go right there. This type of inappropriate attitude, this sense of entitlement drives me batty.

23. Michelle permalink
    August 27, 2010 6:55 am

Whoa. I feel guilty if I am just 1 minute late. Usually I’m at least 15 minutes early. That’s just unacceptable for her to be so late.

24. August 27, 2010 7:05 am

I don’t think you can label her whole generation based on her actions but she is definitely in the wrong. You are paying her, therefore she should get there at the time you dictate. And if she is late she should call to notify you of this or at least apologize. She just sounds downright rude. I would definitely get a new teacher for Maya.

25. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    August 27, 2010 7:16 am

I HATE people like that. I think it is so rude. Her time is not any more important than yours, and she’s acting like it is. Unacceptable.

26. August 27, 2010 7:22 am

That is beyond completely unacceptable! I would be livid!

There is a generational issue where selfishness is paramount and thinking of others gets kicked to the curb.

Hope you fired their @ss ;P

27. August 27, 2010 7:28 am

Can’t believe she saw nothing wrong with being late! HELLO!!! Very rude comment. Well, sounds like she did a good job getting Maya to swim so I’d be done with her if I were you. Maya can probably do ok with another swimming instructor now that she swims like a fish. If you pre paid finish up and then that’s it or just cancel the rest.

28. August 27, 2010 7:30 am

There are just people out there who lack this thing called “work ethics”. I’m sorry that you ran into one.

Does Maya really love her swim teacher? How many lessons left? If there’s still plenty of swimming lessons left, then if I was in your situation, I would try to look for another instructor.

I had this conversation with one of my employees before. I used to work in a hotel in San Diego and few of the college kids always came in late for their shifts. I had a talk to them and told them that we had housekeepers, who takes the bus from the border, takes them 1-2 hours to get to the hotel and manage to come in to work on time. So I asked these college kids who had their own cars and lived local “what’s their excuse?”

29. August 27, 2010 8:04 am

Ughh there is NOTHING i hate more than when people are chronically late! It’s so rude and disrespectful and selfish. I can’t believe she even has the nerve! That’s unacceptable- you obviously have other things to do/schedule with your time and you can’t be waiting around for when her sorry self decides to show up.
    I’d find another teacher- someone more appreciative of your money and considerate of your time 🙂

30. August 27, 2010 8:10 am

She sounds like an ass. Sorry. I’m so glad Maya is learning how to swim though, that is important! But for your own well being i’d search for another swimming teacher!

31. August 27, 2010 8:16 am

Maya is very cute and she will become a good swimmer no matter who the teacher is! I would treat the swim instructor as if she is one of my children and give her 1st warning for being late and the next time she shows up late would be her last. There are many good swimming teachers who will be happy to make $30 bucks for 30 minutes of lesson. My daughter’s teacher – very good and not late – charged half of that for 30 minutes to my surprise.

32. August 27, 2010 8:30 am

Totally unacceptable! If she was late for a good reason like she had to stop all traffic to save a dog from being hit in the middle of a busy road or something, then fine, but she doesn’t seem like that type of person so kudos to you for sticking up for yourself and Maya. Plus, like you said, it wasn’t just once or twice. Lateness drives me crazy. If I can get myself AND MY KID(S) there on time then so can you. I hope you’re not paying by the month or full term. If so, I’d finish off that session and take your money elsewhere where it’s more appreciated. Good luck with the whole thing Ameena.

33. August 27, 2010 8:53 am

So she said “Well, I can leave if you want” and then you said nothing?
    Basically now she KNOWS she can be late all the time.

34. August 27, 2010 9:36 am

Can’t shed any light on this but I know how you feel. I am 25 and yet I feel like my younger sister who is 19 and her friends act just like this – even though they aren’t THAT much younger than me.

I used to teach swim lessons every summer and was really dedicated to it, so I’m sorry this happened! Swimming is so important!

35. eatspinlive permalink
    August 27, 2010 9:41 am

I am sorry girl! I am the type of person who always tries to be at least 10 minutes early for everything and I too cant understand why people in our modern world feel as though showing up late is acceptable. Especially to imporant events! Hope it gets better!

36. August 27, 2010 10:13 am

Oh wow–that is simply unacceptable. I think her attitude would piss me off even more than her tardiness. Get a new swimming teacher.

37. August 27, 2010 10:29 am

how frustrating! At least summer is almost over. You should totally write nasty reviews about her on Yelp or something. That’s what I would do 😉
    Maya looks so adorable in that picture. I have always known that I didn’t want children…I don’t have much patience and I’m extremely selfish with my time and money… but seeing cute pictures of Maya, and also Averie’s daughter, Skylar makes me wonder…
    Hurry up and write your book so I’ll be swayed against having any kiddos of my own!

• August 27, 2010 7:20 pm

I always thought I didn’t want children either but then things happen and next think I knew I had a screaming Maya on my hands! i have no patience and I am very selfish too, so I know exactly what you mean. I can honestly say that now she is older I can finally see the benefit in having kids. But those first two years? They were hellacious. Did that sway you one way or another?? Take care Sonia! Ameena

38. August 27, 2010 10:31 am

I COMPLETELY think it’s a generational thing. no idea how someone who is being paid to provide a service to you doesn’t care if you are peeved at her being late OR that her solution is that she can just leave if you don’t like it.

I used to teach gymnastics to lil ones and was late once because of traffic. I felt like CRAP, like a failure, for weeks.

being late is one of my total things that makes me crazed if (we are late) to even a bbq.

do no know how or why that changed.

oh, how I miss Costco. maybe soon I can step foot in its doors again. budgeting SUCKS. haha

39. August 27, 2010 10:51 am

I’m certainly one of those people who hates being late. Or hates it when people make you wait. Though, I’m a fairly reasonable person and can accept tardiness if I or someone sends some kind of notification before the expected time. Especially working in the industry, it’s one of the first things you learn.

“If you’re early, you’re on time.
    If you’re on time, you’re late.
    If you’re late, well…you’re either fired or get reprimanded.”

I can’t believe she said that to you. She should be grateful that at least she has some kind of job and should take it serious. But if it’s a constant thing, something should be done about it. That’s just not acceptable and rude.

40. August 27, 2010 11:21 am

I assume desi standard time does not appy to you? But argh it is so unprofessional when people are late for work!

I would try and figure it what the issue is. If she is just plain lazy? Fire her!

41. August 27, 2010 11:53 am

Being late is not only annoying, but people who are thoughtless enough to do it chronically can put others in dangerous situations. In winter of ’08 we drove my boyfriend’s sister to Grandma’s for Christmas, and after opening presents she went out for drinks with Dad. “We want to start driving back before the weather gets bad,” we said. “It’s only for an hour or two. We’ll be back at, like, nine,” she assured us. 9pm came and went, as did 10pm, as the snow fell on the roads and packed into ice. We couldn’t do anything but wait for her to come back, or she would have been stranded hours away from home.

At 11 she finally showed up, then wanted to dawdle and take photos of Grandma’s heirlooms for another half hour. And at 12:30am, the car slammed into a tree.

Nobody was hurt, but though she was the one to take her dear sweet time playing cards at the bar, my bank account was the one depleted for a new vehicle.

• August 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank God nobody was hurt but I’d be really annoyed at this! Not only was she late but also irresponsible…I’m not sure I’d be able to forgive her for something so terrible!

42. highonhealthy permalink
    August 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I don’t care if she could turn me into a mermaid on steroids, I’d fire her and find a new teacher. Always being late like that is so unprofessional!

43. August 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh no, what a frustrating situation! I think being late is a sign of disrespect — whether or not the person means it as such. I would ask her if this is an inconvenient time and if so, try to change it (if that works for you). Otherwise, I would probably fire her. Hope it works out all right!

44. August 27, 2010 12:36 pm

You must have a lot of self control! If I were in your situation, I would have told her to leave. How rude of her!

45. Anne @ a daily slice permalink
    August 27, 2010 1:45 pm

I would find someone else. That’s super crappy.

46. August 27, 2010 2:41 pm

I hate confrontation, but something like this would demand me to say something…and I’m glad that you did! What makes me sad/mad is this person’s response. Come on! With the way the economy is now, we all need to be doing our jobs at an optimum level…this person was obviously content to be less than mediocre, and I hope that someone more deserving can take her place.

47. August 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Um, wow. I would not tolerate that. Definitely find someone else. I’m glad you confronted her, but her response was awful. Who says those kind of things?!?! On a better note, Maya does look soooooo cute in her swimsuit!! But when does she NOT look super cute?! 😉

Have a great weekend!! 🙂

48. August 27, 2010 2:49 pm

You definitely struck a chord with me!!! I HATE when people are late. I find it rude, unprofessional, and just down right ignorant!

Now, am I also a recent college graduate? Yes.. but I find I am the rarity among them. I am also in schools every day and can tell you that it’s getting worse. ugggh.

49. August 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Love this post – so well said. So infuriating to get that “you can’t hurt me I’m bulletproof” attitude from staff who are actually great at their job but its just a time management issue. I’m not sure what the right answer is but I would fire her – unless your wanting a project 🙂

50. eatmovewrite permalink
    August 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Oh gawd that would make me nuts. I cannot stand to wait on people, and I take anything work-related VERY seriously. I cannot imagine being late like that and thinking it’s okay. WTH. That makes me mad on your behalf.

51. August 27, 2010 3:58 pm

She’s just plain RUDE! I totally understand your frustration waiting for someone who’s always late. The least she can do at least offer an apology or even better give you partial refund or something. Geez. Maybe it’s time to find another swimming instructor for Maya?

52. izzy permalink
    August 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Three words: dump her ass. (Pardon my French – I`m Canadian)

I just turned 20, have been working steadily since the age of 15, and have been late to one of my jobs ONCE – it was a snow storm; my bus got fender-bendered by a minivan; I was hyperventalating the whole time; I was late 10 minutes; I beat my boss there. Honestly, I don`t think it`s a generational thing, neccessarily, I think it`s just a matter of self-discipline and how much value one places on their job.

You`re definately not crazy, or the one at fault here. There are other, excellent instructors out there that Maya will love. Keeping this one is almost like justifying and encouraging her rudeness and lack of discipline! (I sound like an old lady here…but it`s true!)

izzyy
    xox

• August 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Izzy – I love the “Pardon my French” bit…I am Canadian too so this cracked me up for like 10 different reasons! I am the type who hyperventilates when I’m late too! I don’t wish my anxiousness on others but I have to say what a relief it is to find another person like me!

53. August 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey Ameena, you know, there is something(s) really wrong with this new generation, and it’s so funny that you posted this. I just started reading a book called ‘The Dumbest Generation’ by Mark Bauerlein (an Emory professor). It touches on this new generation of people in their late teens and twenties ignorance along with things like horrible work ethic, bad morals, self entitlement, and many other things.
    I’m a restaurant manager too by the way, and I can’t get young people to work. They are just so special that they just get to show up and have money thrown at them (smile with sarcasm;)
    Anyway, you do deserve an apology. She obviously isn’t going to give you one though. Sorry Ameena…

• Med permalink
      August 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I’m split on this. I think every generation thinks this about the next. I do see how there are a lot of people in that age group who don’t seem to want to work hard, but I think there have been people like that in every generation. Working with junior college students I have seen some slackers as well as many students who work much harder than I did at their age and display so much more maturity than I did.
      Regardless of if it is her generation or individual personality- the swimming coach is so rude for such a careless
      response and I agree that she doesn’t
      deserve the money or getting to spend time with Maya.

54. August 27, 2010 7:29 pm

I HATE people who are late. Or at least people who don’t call ahead to say so. Sometimes I might lose track of time, but I try my damndest not to, and I let people know where I am if I’m wearing my late pants.

It annoys me that a lot of people don’t care about being late. Maybe I’m a granny in disguise?

55. August 27, 2010 10:14 pm

she doesn’t deserve your money. put your $$$ elsewhere!

56. August 28, 2010 2:51 am

wow that is actually insane. I’m kind of a stickler for being on time. I hate it when people are late. HATE IT. I mean really, just give me a call and let me know if you are going to be late. Is that too much to ask?

I take no responsibility for my generation. I would have smacked her over the head if I were you. So you probably shouldn’t ask me 😛

57. August 28, 2010 3:58 am

it truly amazes me when people don’t think your time is as valuable as theirs is….they have their priorities and you just aren’t one of them….well, let me tell you, when she said she could leave I would have told her not to let the door hit her on the way out and given her a piece of my mind and made sure everyone I knew, knew how unreliable she was….lol….but that’s just me….my wife says I tend to overreact, but I hate when people think they can take advantage of me….
    I’m sure you can find another more reliable teacher!

58. August 28, 2010 4:23 am

oh wow, that would drive me NUTS. if i don’t show up for work 5-10 minutes early, i feel like i’m late! that’s too bad you have to deal with that, i would try to find another instructor ASAP!!!

59. August 28, 2010 7:52 am

Wow- that is unbelievable. I would be apologizing for hours! Ingratitude! I’m sure she was raised with one of those “you are the greatest, you can do anything, you deserve everything without work’ spoiled type families. Dismiss her and find someone worth your money, time and energy!
    I wanted you to check something out; I hope it’s okay?

60. August 28, 2010 8:10 am

She was very unprofessional! I am an on time person. It drives me crazy to wait for people. She should be grateful to have a job in the first place.

61. Tiffany permalink
    August 28, 2010 10:24 am

While I don’t think that girl was right in any way I think it’s unfair of you to blame it on her being in part of a younger generation. Let’s face it, every older generation is always saying that the new generation is lacking in some way. She is the exception, not the rule. There ARE younger people out there who are responsible and show up on time. She’s also probably pretty young or inexperienced? She’s stupid about the world, she doesn’t know anything yet. She needs a consequence for her irresponsibility.
    Full disclosure, sometimes I am late to my work but I always call ahead to say so and I am never more than five minutes. I also try my hardest not to be late and generally succeed.

• Med permalink
      August 28, 2010 3:45 pm

There is a really good youtube video that shows the two sides of this idea called “Lost Generation” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• August 28, 2010 10:14 pm

This is really quite amazing! I have never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing the link.

• August 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Tiffany – I apologize for generalizing…I didn’t mean to! There are tons of responsible teens and a lot of irresponsible adults. She definitely is an exception! Just as a day when I don’t stick my foot in my mouth is an exception. 🙂

62. August 28, 2010 12:33 pm

She seriously said that?? Um, that’s unacceptable. I’m sure there are other good swim teachers!

63. August 28, 2010 1:02 pm

I feel curmudgeonly at the ripe age of 28, but I’ve found myself sniping about my peer group and the demographic that comes before me…I don’t want to pull the whole “when I was young-two-miles-uphill-in-the-snow-everyday thing, but I’ve definitely noticed a sense of entitlement among many folks under 30, especially when I was interviewing kids for my last non-profit job in the OC. There was a great article in the NYT magazine a bit ago about the 20’s being a period of emerging adulthood, without the sense of gravity and responsibility that was par for the course not too long ago. I think you communicated in a clear way, and the teacher’s response was indicative of a mind that does not seem to understand the importance of commitment.

64. August 28, 2010 3:12 pm

You are 100% right here, Ameena – what an attitude!! I don’t get it?? With jobs as scarce as they are, how can people have such half-arsed attitudes toward work – and still get work?? Humph! Is it possible to get another teacher? I don’t think this one is worth any amount of your time, as she doesn’t seem to respect yours.

65. August 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Is this chick a college student? o boy, shes way off base! I’m NEVER late to work related stuff. Im generally punctual, I set my clocks in my car and at home five min fast so i wont be late. Is she that great of an instructor? Dude, I’ll teach maya and i wont charge AND I”l be on time!

66. August 28, 2010 7:47 pm

OMG!!! high- freakin- five for bringing this up! im sorry but its totally true that “this generation thinks they are doing YOU a favor by showing up at all” THIS IS SO SAD BUT 100% TRUE! more than ever (probably this past year or so) the human ego has sky-rocketed and laziness/ the “its all about me” syndrome has BOOMED haha no joke. i remember a documentary i watched that highlighted how many employers have had to start adding more ‘fun time’ and ‘relaxation’ to the work place in order to keep employees satisfied and working. because our world is so fast paced we want everything at the snap of a finger, its all NOW NOW NOW! i go to this one coffee shop regularily in the mornings. ive been going for 2 years. in the last 6 months theyve hired a lot of young people. they have a lot of potential but they sure dont live up to it.. they give u the “oh god, why the hell do i work here” look. they make the customers feel like shit and whenever i smile they frown even more. IF YOU HATE YOUR JOB LEAVE! but nope.. they just daydream about owning their own reality tv show and having money handed down to them as they pay top dollar to get someone to change the channels on the remote control for them. haha.. okay u know what im sayin..

im quite passionate about this topic!

xoxo ❤

• August 31, 2010 12:53 pm

You totally had every right to be pissed, and props to you for saying something (I hate confrontations as well, and tend to do the be quiet now, bitch later thing)I would like to be a more assertive person, the sort that don’t take no s*** from any body lol, but it will never happen 😀 I’m just way too afraid I would be misunderstood, or worse, hurt some ones feelings. Also, I read this post after seeing your apology that you wrote for this post. All I have to say is, DON’T APOLOGIZE! 🙂 every one is entitled to their opinion and the people reading YOUR blog have decided to read yours 🙂 We all come from different back grounds and upbringings, and you will NEVER be able to make everyone happy all of the time. The only person whos happiness you can control is yourself 🙂

67. September 1, 2010 2:38 am

Wow! Holy obnoxious! Fire that brat and teach her a lesson. Nobody has yet – maybe you are the one to do it! You can find another good swimming teacher.

Although – I’d disagree with what Ali said. I teach young America every day. They aren’t so entitled that they think we should be grateful for their presence. Rather, they are:

1. Unconvinced that being on time is that important.
    2. REALLY busy and really bad at time management.

I always flinch at the “kids today” argument – just because every single generation says that about the one coming up before it. Sometimes I wonder if it’s just our perception.

But in this case – that teacher is BRAT! Get rid of her.

68. June 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Oops. I used to be and still am late everywhere, for everyone, at every time.
    Umm, after reading this post…. it’s time to reflect…. 😐

• June 21, 2012 1:29 pm

So if we ever meet up I’ll give you a time that’s 30 minutes before the actual meeting time. 🙂

• June 22, 2012 3:43 pm

lol, my husband gives me 2 hours 😀
        but no, after having read this post, i sure can’t risk being late for you … hehehe 😛

• June 22, 2012 8:48 pm