L.C. at W.F.

August 25, 2010

First off, thank you all for your very encouraging words regarding my last post.  I’m so glad you think I have a snowball’s chance in hell of being a published author!  Your comments mean so much and I will be reading them over and over as I take on the daunting task of writing a book and a book proposal.

And speaking of daunting, I was desperate for a way to entertain Maya yesterday as Ali was at another “work” dinner.  Funny how many “work” dinners he’s had recently.  And wouldn’t you know it?  He has another one tonight.  Things seem a bit shady if you ask me but I’m too tired to investigate further.

Anyway, I was completely out of energy and ideas yesterday.  So after picking Maya up from school we headed over to Whole Foods for a little inspiration and some puff pastry.   Why puff pastry?  No reason really, it just seemed like a puff pastry kind of day.

While Maya and I hunted down empty carbs we ran into Lauren Conrad for the third time in a month.  If you are in the Los Angeles area and are trying to catch a glimpse of her, keep a look out for a very pretty blond wearing sunglasses in the store as a “disguise.”

She’s a clever one alright.

Just FYI, Lauren also drives a black Mercedes and is apparently above stopping at these crazy things called stop signs.  All I can say is that my brother’s “no cops, no stops” mantra took on a new meaning as I drove home behind her yesterday.

Back to the puff pastry.  Well, there isn’t much to say other than it was a miserable disaster.  Not unlike The Hills after Lauren left.

"It looks kind of messy Mama." Really? You don't say.

The only difference is that unlike MTV producers, I know when to cut my losses.

Yes, much to Maya’s dismay I chucked this whole mess into the trash.  Not very Ramadan-like behavior, but neither were the 4-letter words that accidentally slipped off my tongue.

I think it is interesting that I can simultaneously manage 3 production budgets but I can’t work with puff pastry.  God works in mysterious ways.

1. August 25, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks for the visit
    Good luck with your book, you have some funny stories 🙂
    Hear from you soon

2. August 25, 2010 3:14 am

I know what you mean about carb-hunting, lol! Phyllo dough is hard to work with — it can be really tempermental. Sometimes scrapping it is the best idea. 🙂

I have a question — On my last post for corn with the Indian yogurt sauce, I adapted the recipe from an Indian cookbook. When I first sauce the recipe in there I wondered how authentic it could be (not that I know a lot about Indian cuisine, but I didn’t think corn was prevalent). Anyway, the book said the recipe was Punjabi…does that seem accurate to you? Or is it an Americanized version of something? Just curious and from your comment I thought you might know…thanks Ameena! 🙂

P.S. We’re about halfway done! 😀

• August 25, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Faith – My husband’s family is Punjabi and I have never seen them cook with corn before. I’ve never seen it at any Indian restaurant, nor in India come to think of it! But yogurt, ginger, turmeric are standard ingredients so I think the sauce is probably spot on. It looks delicious in any case!

3. August 25, 2010 3:24 am

LOL, messes in the kitchen is all I know daaaaahling. Do you know to make one cake I practically end up cleaning the whole kitchen from top to toe? Thats why it sucks if something I made doesn’t turn out the way I expect.
    Cant win them all :D, but you gave me a good laugh.

4. August 25, 2010 3:32 am

hahaha i loved how you said you were too tired to investigate your husband’s work dinners. that is too funny.

LC at WF? I’ll have to come visit you to check out the disguise!

5. August 25, 2010 3:34 am

Lauren Conrad?
    Wow, that is so bizarre to me.

6. August 25, 2010 3:40 am

i’m impressed that you attempted to make a pasty puff. with your young daughter. seriously. you deserve mother of the year 🙂

7. August 25, 2010 4:14 am

I’ve never attempted puff pastries. They scare me a little. So you’ve at least got the initiative thing going on…

And that’s kind of funny about LC- my friend would flip out. Seriously flip out. She’s the one who got me sucked into The Hills in the first place (I shake my fist at her).

8. August 25, 2010 4:32 am

Maybe one of the problems is that you were dealing with filo dough, not puff pastry. I grew up making baklava with the stuff and it makes me cuss on a regular basis. How they think something so delicate can survive freezing and thawing without sticking together like glue baffles me. I’m still laughing at the picture because I’ve been there many times. FYI, with a 4 year-old in the house “shibbit” and “shazbat” have been come our favorite cuss words.

Thaks again for guess posting yesterday. I loved it.

• August 25, 2010 7:52 am

So Filo and Puff Pastry aren’t the same thing? Why didn’t I know that? Shazbat! I’m even more challenged than I initially though.

9. August 25, 2010 4:42 am

Fillo dough takes no prisoners. I avoid it as often as possible. Now those Pepperidge Farm puffed pastry sheets are another story. Filled with fat and ready to add inches to your hips just at a glance…they are easy to use (and eat).

10. August 25, 2010 4:43 am

Ahhhhh, I love Lauren!!!! I even trudged through her book, LA Candy 🙂

Sorry about the puff pastry fail!! 😦

11. August 25, 2010 4:53 am

Agh, puff pastry is so tough to work with. Was it really really cold? Apparently that helps, although I my puff pastries adventures usually end as failures. Tell LC I say hi!

• August 25, 2010 5:46 pm

It was very cold, as per the package instructions…I have no idea what I did wrong?

12. August 25, 2010 4:59 am

Why do celebs think hiding themselves makes them look more normal and less like a star? If anything, they stick out like a sore thumb. I was in Panera outside Philly once and saw a man with a cowboy hat over a hood. He caught my eye because, well, he looked ridiculous. He turns around and I see that it’s Terrence Howard. Yeah, that disguise worked.

13. August 25, 2010 5:06 am

Well, glad to hear she eats/does her own groceries! I’m bummed that the pastry didn’t work out for you – I have used that exact type/brand to make baked phyllo samosas and it worked out well…I mean, they were awful and unpalatable and you aren’t missing out on anything. Sorry my fasting friend. I forgot :/

14. August 25, 2010 5:06 am

ahh I love LC! I want to run into her!
    I like her a smidge less now though, because I saw a pic of her yesterday where her hair extension was falling out. I thought it was real 😦
    I have never had good luck with puff pastry- how do people do it?

• August 25, 2010 9:55 am

LC has hair extensions? I had no idea. I always admired her hair but now I feel a bit cheated.

15. August 25, 2010 5:15 am

OK that’s it. I need to come to LA. Because if you are spotting Lauren Conrad on a regular basis, well i think that’s just awesome. Sorry about the puff pastry!

16. August 25, 2010 5:21 am

lady, must use your DELICATE touch…hahah don’t pretend the dough is ali’s neck..i think that’ll help. BTW please take a creepy pic of LC next time..you know…for Maya..not for me…not for me…at…all.

17. August 25, 2010 5:40 am

Puff pastry is EVIL! I’m working with it for one of the things I’m making for the shower and I’m hoping it plays nice.

18. Anne @ a daily slice permalink
    August 25, 2010 5:55 am

Ha! I love that you saw Lauren Conrad. I’ve never seen a celebrity in real life. Not that I need to, but it’d be kinda fuN 🙂

19. August 25, 2010 5:59 am

I love Lauren Conrad. I even started reading LA Candy, but lets be honest-It was horrible. I cut my losses by not finishing it 🙂

• August 25, 2010 5:42 pm

That was honestly one of the worst books I have ever read. It gives me hope for my own ability to get published!

20. August 25, 2010 6:42 am

Lauren conard doing her own grocery shopping. nice info. Regarding the puff pasty it looks a likes huge mess.

21. August 25, 2010 6:45 am

Puff pastry always freaking does that to me too. You are not alone!

22. August 25, 2010 6:46 am

Ugh, phyllo and I are NOT friends. And really, aside from baklava and maybe spinach pies, the whole phyllo business is wholly overrated so you didn’t miss out on anything. At this point, I think you should just introduce yourself to LC. Maybe you could be part of the contingent. I always thought Stephanie was dispensible 🙂

23. August 25, 2010 7:05 am

You crack me up! I rather like LC and would probably get all celebrity-awed over her..haha..

My friends hosted a dinner party on Sat night and used puff pastry for the first time and it was as if it came out of a restaurant. Perfect nests of walnuts and honey served with raspberries and vanilla bean ice cream. I’d think they faked it except I saw them being made. Lame talented bakers!

24. August 25, 2010 7:06 am

i’ve lived in la for many years but never ran into her although i have friends who have. i seriously dont understand pseudo celebs.

25. August 25, 2010 7:12 am

Ha, why am I not surprised that LC doesn’t follow basic traffic rules?? Sorry the puff pastry was a disaster. Hopefully you’ll have better luck next time a desire for puff pastry strikes!

26. August 25, 2010 7:15 am

Sunglasses are such a good “disguise.” Hahahaha! I can’t believe she doesn’t stop at stop signs. That’s ridiculous.

27. August 25, 2010 7:16 am

Ha- I was never into The Hills. I find it annoying, and when I watch TV, the last thing I want is to be annoyed. I get enough of that without watching TV! But it’s funny that you saw Lauren Conrad at Whole Foods. There is not too much celebrity action around here. Unless it’s during the film festival or something, and during that time I tend to stay far away from Yorkville.

And don’t beat yourself up about the Phyllo dough! That stuff is crazy. It is so thin and it dries out the minute you take it out of the box, and then rips into little pieces. It’s practically impossible to use, unless maybe you’re a gourmet chef. I tried working with the stuff years ago and I failed miserably.

28. August 25, 2010 7:16 am

I never see anyone famous. Not that I go anywhere where I would or that they are really all that special or anything. Well, at least the puff pastry incident kept you occupied!

29. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    August 25, 2010 7:52 am

haha I used to love The Hills – before it got REALLY bad. Then it just hurt to watch. I remember a guy I worked with made fun of me for watching it and would always say “what happened on the show Leah?” and I could never answer him because he was right, NOTHING happened.

Puff pastry is SO difficult to work with. Im impressed that you even tried. 🙂

30. Michelle permalink
    August 25, 2010 8:25 am

I laugh so much at “California stops” you have no chance at getting away with them in Washington.

31. August 25, 2010 8:48 am

that phyllo dough is a PAIN…no worries lovie!

and I love that you run into actors etc. I would freak out. Every time I hit LA, or drive past it, or stop for gas..I alwasy say…
    Hey, we saw..so and so.

and I make it up.

makes me feel special.

it’s called a Stop Shine.
    they do that here too!
    GAW

xoxo

32. August 25, 2010 8:57 am

Holy moley Ameena! I sleep pretty late at night and before I go to bed I always check my google reader to see who’s posted new stuff. I hardly see your posts lately, but when I do have a chance to blog read in the mornings, you’ve already got at least 30 comments! That right there should tell you how many book readers and supporters you’ve got. If I’m LUCKY I may get that many comments in a week, and half of them are my replies lol. So you go girl! I’m waiting for that book and buying it first chance I get. Hugs and pat on the back, dear!

• August 25, 2010 8:59 am

PS
      Sorry your pastry didn’t turn out 😦 At least this gives you something else to do with your little magical baker next time.

33. August 25, 2010 9:36 am

oh puff pastry my little buttery nemesis. It never puffs as it says it will and don’t EVER follow the instructions for defrosting it in your microwave. Well, not if you were planning on it eating it anyway.

I can’t imagine the horror of making it from scratch.

34. August 25, 2010 10:40 am

Phyllo dough is a tricky one to deal with. It’s like you have to be extra gentle with it. One of the reasons I rarely work with it.

35. August 25, 2010 12:24 pm

I’ve always been too scared to work with puff pastry. So cool that you saw LC!!

36. August 25, 2010 12:36 pm

your misadventures with Maya remind me of times with my mama when I was younger!

when I was bored and cranky and she was exasperated, I can remember her just handing me a box of sidewalk chalk and saying “hopscotch is a really fun game…”

37. August 25, 2010 12:57 pm

How hilarious. I have only watched Lauren a few times (I don’t have a TV) but it still would have been pretty damn exciting to see her (I get a bit of a celebrity daze). Sorry that the puff pastry didn’t work out!

38. August 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Whenever friends or relatives would visit me in LA, they would always ask to go on celebrity hunts…never had any success…elusive little buggers.
    Pastry dough is a temperamental beast. My slight obsession with homemade baklava forces me to interact with it from time to time, but I’ve disposed of my fair share over the years (and by dispose I mean throw in an angry wad while stomping my feet and acting two).
    Enjoy the rest of your week!

39. August 25, 2010 3:10 pm

what the? LC three times in one month??? lol…i love how anyone believes they look less conspicuous with sunglasses on indoors. i remember a picture once of Britney Spears wearing sunglasses on a treadmill….

40. August 25, 2010 3:41 pm

I think I should come around your neighborhood area to spot some celebrities 😀 Sorry for your puff pastry disaster..seriously I’m very bad in baking pastry and cakes- bread is ok as long as I have the machine does the kneading haha. And I love your brother’s mantra for the stop signs..haha..gave me a good chuckle.

41. August 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Tsk Tsk 🙂 Wearing sunnies inside has “look at me” written all over it! Mmmm, Filo & Puff are different animals I think, both beautiful but one has to treat them by their rules, personally I think puff is more forgiving than filo… just sayin’

42. August 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Too cool that you saw Lauren Conrad! the only star I’ve ever seen was Jerry Springer at the airport and he looked terrible. Puff pastry isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Next time just head straight to the bakery and cut off the middle man stuff.

43. August 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Dear Ameena – I know you’ve heard me say this b4 but you have ‘the gift’ – of gab and bard tales 🙂 I second all 71 previous comments that a book from you would simply be you fulfilling your destiny 🙂

Keep on keeping on!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

44. August 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I do believe you are officially Genius.

Genius.

Love it all.

LC?! No way! God, I hate her. She’s so damn pretty. B***h.

But not stopping at signs? That really irritates me – that’s what’s wrong with all those celebs – Lindsay Lohan, Kardashians, Mel Gibson…getting into accidents and crap because they think they’re above the law.

Okay, sorry my rant.

45. highonhealthy permalink
    August 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Puff pastry looks like it would be difficult to work with so I think it’s okay to have muttered whatever four letter word it was that slipped your mouth. I would have chucked that mess into the garbage too.

I’ve never randomly seen any celebrities walking around.. then again, I live in a place that no celebrity with a brain would ever go. Wait. Most celebrities don’t have brains.. so why aren’t they here?!

46. August 25, 2010 5:35 pm

I would have done the same thing. Actually I do that pretty often. My mom makes samosas out of puff pastry! I just love eating them!

I won’t lie I am a little obsessed with LC and her fashion. I may move into your neighborhood after you find me a husband!

47. August 25, 2010 6:25 pm

I’m so jealous of your life right now. I can’t imagine seeing someone like Lauren Conrad just around in a grocery store.. haha.

Thanks for your sweet comment 🙂

48. August 25, 2010 6:33 pm

No cops, no stops. That’s funny : )
    Let me know when you need a nanny, would like to have some quality time with her!! Even though I’m hanging in hollyweird now, used to be a teacher!!and I LOVE little girls!!!
    Am I qualified enough for Maya?? Lol.

49. August 25, 2010 6:44 pm

omg my mom has NIGHT TERRORS FROM FILO DOUGH! haha i remember her swearing up a storm trying to make spanikopita.. she believes that dough is “impossible to work with”.. hmm i guess that would be the same thing Lauren would say of Heidi huh..lol

xoxo

50. August 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Ameena, you are superb at turning daily annoyances and kitchen difficulties into hilarious writing. Whatever writing you choose to do, you will excel at it, for sure 🙂 I commend you for working with puff pastry – I don’t even try, because I know it’s a witch to work with. I’ve tried to make my own in the past, and the little bigger just falls apart under my fingers. At least I didn’t have any little witnesses, like you did with Maya 😛 Hope tomorrow is a better day!

• August 25, 2010 6:57 pm

*bigger = bugger. Gotta get my mild curse words right 😀

51. August 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Wow, that puff pastry looks….”messy”. Haha i probably couldn’t even work a normal bread dough let alone puff pastries.

52. August 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Puff pastry is so hard to work with since it dries out so fast- my mom never lets me help her if she’s making baklava or anything because she assumes I’ll screw it up (which I probably would) so it’s definitely not a failure.
    Haha so one of my good friends actually stayed at the same resort in Mexico last month as Lauren Conrad and had dinner at the table next to her. In my town, Carlos Santana and Tyler Florence (food network chef) are our main local celebrities- i run into them both AT LEAST once a month…Santana actually once stole my parking spot then winked and smiled at me (as if that was gonna make it better.)

53. August 25, 2010 10:00 pm

aww, she’s cute. saw her a few times when i worked for The Grove. love your comment ’bout her disguise. verrrry smooth 😉

54. August 26, 2010 3:16 am

Puff pastry and I have never worked out the kinks in our relationship. sometimes I think it’s better to just divorce the whole thing and move on with my life. So just know you’re not alone.

55. August 26, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Ameena, I have been out of the blog world loop for a bit but I wanted to say I definitely by your book! You make me laugh every post!

56. August 26, 2010 8:19 am

will definitely buy*

57. traynharder23 permalink
    August 26, 2010 10:52 am

LOL! lauren conrad is too good for stop signs? that makes me not like her as much now. i’d hate to get hit by her because she thinks she’s too good for traffic laws

i DO think it’s the asian background! we’re taught (culturally) not to show much emotions (geishas, anyone?) and not really discuss things. everything is the silent treatment. i know that’s not healthy, and that’s what j.c. is helping me get over. he does shut down as well, and he’s also working on it.

and thanks! i hope you do meet him quite soon. he loves..i mean HEARTS Trader joe’s. a lot.

58. August 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Hah! This made me laugh so hard. I guess I shouldn’t surprise. That seems so in character for her. It’s even worse that someone thought she should have a book deal. Good luck working on yours. I think you have a genuine shot. 🙂

59. August 28, 2010 7:06 am

I must have been away from the US too long because I have no clue who Lauren Conrad is. I DON’T miss TV drama…but I DO miss WF.
    One of my favorite ways to use phyllo is with feta cheese and raspberry jam, or here in Europe, we have KIWI jam, and I put chickpeas in the layers as well. It is very, very good…another recipe was a mashed pea/edamame center with roasted chopped walnuts and grilled sweet onions.

60. August 29, 2010 8:59 am

I do have to comment because I think it’s interesting you’ve run into Lauren so many times. I follow her fashion, so it was fun to read that. Can’t stand, though, when people run Stop signs – I see it all the time in Los Angeles and it drives me absolutely bonkers!