Saying Goodbye

July 16, 2010

I am the type of person who cannot keep things around if they are old, outgrown, broken, damaged, or in any way rendered useless.

• Example A:  The day after Maya outgrew her crib, I gave it away to a co-worker and stared blankly at Ali when he asked why I didn’t want to keep the crib for memories.  Ummm, I listened to my child scream nonstop for a year…I am pretty sure I’ll never, ever forget that.
  • Example B: When I realized that no amount of praying and/or crying was going to get me back into the size 0 Banana Republic pants I wore regularly prior to my daughter ruining my metabolism, I gave them to the Salvation Army.  I still miss those pants but there was no need to torture myself by seeing what could have been, every time I opened my closet.

I believe Ali and Maya are slightly worried they too might find themselves discarded one day.  I really want to reassure them that won’t happen but I refuse to lie, just to put their minds at ease.

Anyway, as someone who has no trouble moving on I surprised myself this past week by actually getting sentimental about saying goodbye to several things.

1. We said goodbye to Maya’s preschool after 4 + years.  Who knew I’d be sad to take home her box cubby, several stuffed animals, her giant notebook, assorted loose leaf papers (she has pack rat tendencies like her father), and a very old, bacteria-ridden toothbrush?

The benefit of saying goodbye to Maya's school? Saying goodbye the check we have to write them every month!

2. We said goodbye to all the really amazing museums DC has to offer.  I wasn’t sure I would actually find the motivation to drag Maya to one museum, nevermind 6 in 3 days!  I am reveling in the realization that I actually CAN handle culture, and my daughter can too.

The National Gallery of Art - I know next to nothing about sculpture but Maya and I agreed this was one of the coolest things we'd ever seen.

3. I said goodbye to the most shallow bunch of reality stars on television.  Yes, I was so bored on the flight to DC that I watched a marathon of MTV’s The Hills.  Honestly, I’m really not that torn up that the show has ended as I stopped watching it a long time ago, but I am a bit bitter that it appears none of these girls have had to give up their size 0 Banana Republic pants.

Am I the only one who thinks there is something slightly off about Audrina? I can't put my finger on it...

4. Maya and I said a quick hello and then a quick goodbye to some new friends.  We met up with Sophia, Adam, and Danielle for lunch at Le Pain Quotodien on Tuesday…

Photo Credit: Maya Din

And then Estela, Tracey, and Marin for lunch at Zaytinya on Wednesday…

Photo Credit: Maya Din

Maya's temporary BFF Marin...hopefully Marin can forgive Maya for trying to force feed her!

Thank you again all for taking the time to meet up with Maya and I.  It was great getting to know you better!

5. Even Ali also had some trouble with goodbyes.  First he had to bid farewell to all of the new and nerdy Microsoft buddies he met in DC, and then he had to say goodbye to a little piece of tech heaven.

Who knew that Ali's heaven was housed at Dulles airport?

But of all the painful things that I had to say goodbye to these past 7 days, I am most sad about saying goodbye to my freedom for the next two weeks.  Yes, Maya is off from school and my new full-time job will be to entertain her all day, every day for the next 14 days.

Seriously, I am about to start crying.

1. July 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Another hilarious post Ameena! Gary and K are quite the pack rats too. We’ve moved 3 times in the past 5 years and everytime we move, I have to remind him that if there’s anything he hasn’t touched in the past 2 years then it’s going to donation or into the garbage. 5 years later and still a basement half full of junk.

I’m always jealous when I see others having blogger meet ups. It’s great to finally put a face and voice to the blogs you read isn’t it? Have a lovely weekend Ameena!

2. July 16, 2010 9:07 pm

I loved this post, especially the end. Was Maya at all sad to leave preschool? I don’t even remember preschool! I’m glad you guys got to go to museums. I love that picture of her at the National Gallery of Art. And what a trooper she is to meet up with blogger buddies (and take pictures). I can’t wait to meet her! By the way… I don’t “get” The Hills at all. It seems like a bunch of long, awkward silences, skinny girls, and guys who look like they smell.

3. July 16, 2010 9:08 pm

You are so funny and such a great writer! I am not a mom yet, but I hope I can navigate motherhood with the same grace and humor that you do. I’m also getting ready to say a lot of goodbyes…it’s a bittersweet experience for sure

4. July 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Oops, that other comment is from me. I was signed in with a WordPress account I don’t use. Ha.

5. actorsdiet permalink
    July 16, 2010 10:34 pm

“the muppets take manhattan” has a song about saying goodbye that makes me cry…saying goodbye is so hard!

6. July 17, 2010 2:17 am

I haven’t been able to check your blog much the past few weeks but I’m so happy to see nothing has changed! You are as hilarious as always!

7. July 17, 2010 3:09 am

How awesome are the photo credits for Maya?!? Sad to admit, she takes better pictures than I do. Oh, and I’d be sad to say goodbye to DC too 🙂

8. July 17, 2010 3:23 am

That picture of Ali…lol.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

9. July 17, 2010 3:23 am

Oh! And with Audrina– it’s because she has a lazy eye!!! She can’t focus, and it throws everything about her off– I swear!

10. July 17, 2010 4:30 am

I’m so jealous of your blogger meet ups 🙂 I love the museums in D.C. When hubby and I went back in October we didn’t really get out of the National Mall area–I wish we would’ve explored more!!

11. July 17, 2010 4:48 am

I very much understand why you’re about to cry over the next 14 days. Our daughter got out of preschool Memorial Day weekend. We found 3 jr. high girls that were willing to get paid $10 for spending 4 hours a morning with her here at home so I could get work done without the constant “Mommy, Mommy, Mommy.”

$50/week is so worth the freed up time yet with peace of mind because they’re still where I can hear.

12. July 17, 2010 4:51 am

I’m a packrat about some things (cookbooks) but not others (schoolbooks). I refuse to give up my size 0 pants. I maintain that as soon as I start marathoning again, I’ll be back to my 0. Just you wait and see 😛

I would feel really said if The Real Housewives of NYC ended. Maybe you can use that to replace The Hills.

I’m so jealous of your meet-up by the way!

13. July 17, 2010 5:07 am

Okay, I just had a little minor freakout there. After I read the title of your post, I thought you were saying goodbye to us and I was like… “Oh noes!”. Phew. Don’t do that to me!

I hope you make it through the next 14 days with your sanity relatively in tact. If it makes you feel any better, I’ll be spending my weekend saying goodbye to a bunch of old crap that’s been piling up in our house. I finally convinced my parents that we need to start de-cluttering, which means I have a lot of work ahead of me…

14. July 17, 2010 5:11 am

We had so much fun meeting you! I know Marin had a great time because she took a 3 hour nap that day!

I’m looking forward to reading your posts about entertaining Maya for the next two weeks 🙂

15. July 17, 2010 5:33 am

Omg, after avoiding the hills for years, I too got sucked into the marathon this past week. Sigh… 😉

Glad you that you and Maya had a nice time together at the museums! Way to build that prior knowledge Mama, so she will have lots to connect to when she’s learning in school!! 🙂

16. July 17, 2010 5:37 am

I’m like you in that I tend to either delete or toss crap out if it has no use in the immediate future, although that tends to come back and bit me in my skinny butt at times. But seriously…why keep something I will never use again? If I forget the “memory” that’s attached to it, how great of a memory was it to begin with? It’s not like you’re throwing out Maya–it’s a damn crib. You go girl.

Your blogger meet-ups sound so fun! You’re the social butterfly my dear, so flit on over to Michigan and let me give Maya a run for the title of spastic princess. I’m sorry the next two weeks will be a challenge. I already want the neighbor kids to go back to school…or anywhere else far, far away.

17. Jessica permalink
    July 17, 2010 6:17 am

I think I fall under the same category as Ali and Maya. I too have pack-rat-like tendencies. I have taken a few steps to release myself of those…like just throwing stuff away…that’s a big one.

As far as Audrina goes, I just think she’s dumb. Plain and simple (much like her brain I suppose).

18. July 17, 2010 7:09 am

I do the same and look forward to what is next.

19. July 17, 2010 7:46 am

It amazes me how fast they grow. I didn’t realize Maya was already leaving preschool. Wow!

I haven’t watched the Hills in a long time either. I wonder if any of them have even changed. Well, besides Heidi and all her surgery.

20. Michelle permalink
    July 17, 2010 8:38 am

Funny post as always. Good luck with the next two weeks!

21. July 17, 2010 8:46 am

I admire your ability to just toss it! I am working on that myself because I truly HATE clutter. Sounds like you had a nice trip.

22. July 17, 2010 9:29 am

Oh no, 2 weeks! I am sure it will go smoothly and you will do fine at entertaining. I know I have trouble with that after having company for a few days, especially in Vegas. Sounds like some major goodbyes for you, but I would say meeting all those great bloggers only to say goodbye is the worst!

23. July 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Dear Ameena – You are getting old! ..Gotcha!

What I really mean is that I can always count on being torn between chuckles and rolling on the floor laughter when I visit you. You have a gift of taking the mundane and turning it into heartwarming narrative.

As for ‘size 0’ – how can I grieve for something I never had nor will ever have? BTW please tell me you guys went to chow at Raavi kabab on Glebe road?

Seriously, we re-route all our flights through Dulles and JFK just to eat at Raavi (best dhaba ever!) and Lupa…Yeah – crazy right? What can I say? Such is the life of kooky foodies! 🙂

Hugs, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

24. July 17, 2010 1:02 pm

its Audrina’s eyes i tell ya, they are lop-sidded … i mean she is pretty for sure but there is something weird.. something out of place hmmm.

i dont like goodbyes! especially with having to say goodbye to mayas pre-school. talk about SAD!

omg and even worse is that ontop of it all now its YOU saying goodbye.. guess its impossible to try and run after Freedom and pull it back.

i’ll be ur shoulder to cry on ok? lol hugs!!!

xoxo ❤

25. July 17, 2010 1:22 pm

I loved the last line…you are priceless!

26. highonhealthy permalink
    July 17, 2010 3:59 pm

You think Maya and Ali are packrats? You should see my dad.. it’s pretty scary.

I’m actually fairly good at getting rid of things and saying goodbye. It’s an awesome trait to have!

27. July 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Such a funny post. Maya’s photo credits crack me up the most! I AM sad about the Hills ending. so sad. I’m serious!
    but i hear ya re: Audrina. something off. whatt the heck is it?

28. July 17, 2010 4:49 pm

As always, you always know how to take some serious stuff and turned it into something humorous… 🙂

29. July 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Hey I am jealous of the girls on the hills too about the size 0 pants…but you should be greatful bc 0 is a size i never knew and will never know! I love chocolate too much for that!

30. July 17, 2010 6:35 pm

haha I’m the same way- once it’s done, toss it.

And I’m still bummed we couldn’t meet up! I was ready for Maya’s questions 🙂

31. July 17, 2010 11:15 pm

I watched the Hills too…and I know what you mean about Audrina aka “ceiling eyes”! I have grown to love her though- I think her outfits are always the cutest! I hear she’s coming out with her own reality show…

32. Snigdha permalink
    July 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Hey Ameena,
    Let me say that I love your blog but always been kind of hesitant about commenting just because I am one of those people who says everything that sounds wrong when they put it down on paper/electronically(if that makes sense)but when you mentioned The Hills I had to comment and let me say its not the size 0 pants but the 32 tops they cant fit in anymore…I’m sure you know what it means;).
    By the way I love Maya and IF I ever decide to have to a kid I would want he/she to be like her. And props to you for this VERY entertaining blog that makes me get through my sad/boring/predictable/uneventful day 🙂

• Snigdha permalink
      July 17, 2010 11:59 pm

her/him*

• July 18, 2010 10:33 am

Thank you so much for your kind words! I really do appreciate you saying that you think my blog is entertaining. That seriously made my day.

I wish I had trouble fitting in the 32 tops!! It doesn’t look like that will ever be an issue for me unfortunately.

Have a great Sunday and thanks for reading.

33. July 18, 2010 2:26 am

I think Joel McHale on E! says it best about some of the reality stars (mostly Audrina and the Kardashians)- they look dead behind the eyes.

It’s sad but true…

34. July 18, 2010 6:20 am

Yes saying goodbye was hard but we had to sometimes.

35. July 18, 2010 6:25 am

Oh wow… entertaining kids is NOT easy. I admire you.

36. traynharder23 permalink
    July 18, 2010 7:07 am

got 2 pairs of shorts. LONG shorts. hahahha. it was nice. today spent MORE than 12 hours with j.c. i don’t think mom was happy i got in a 3am…but we( me and j.c. and his roomie) stayed up late talking. it was hilarious.

37. July 18, 2010 7:45 am

Sound like your DC trip was fun! I have hard time saying good bye to things too… but force myself twice a year and empty our closet completely.. Hope you are having a great weekend.

38. July 18, 2010 11:37 am

Haha! You can do it, Ameena, I know you can! I’ll check up on you every so often, just to make sure you’re A-Ok 😉

You know, I’m a streamliner, too (as I cleverly refer to getting rid of “old” stuff as), in contrast to my packrat husband. Yet, I remember a time when I was 8 or 9, on a trip in CA with my family. I found this perfect (rather large) rock near a stream and carted it around with me for several hours. As we were leaving, I unthinkingly left it at the bus stop, and sadly, no amount of pleading or tears would convince my mom to go back and get it. We get attached to the strangest things, don’t we?

I just hope I don’t pass too many oddities on to my kids 🙂

39. July 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Lol…14 days will go by quick. You can do it!!! I know that feeling about your pants. There have been a couple things I wish I kept.

40. July 18, 2010 4:24 pm

It’s funny I too have been introduced/involuntary immersed in many a reality TV show in plane flights. For example, I’d never really known about John and Kate and the desperate wives of NY had I not been flying from Jersey to California.

Goodbyes are so bittersweet… but I guess all that sadness means that something good happened.

41. July 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I have a hard time saying goodbyes, I get attached to people, things, places pretty quickly! Don’t worry 14 days will go by quickly!

42. July 18, 2010 7:45 pm

So cool you got to meet so many bloggers. My suggestion with Maya for the next few weeks: do crazy insane exhausting activities all morning and tire her out so much that she’ll sleep all afternoon! Doesn’t always work, but when it does, it’s perfect. Good luck!

I am NOT good at goodbyes when it comes to people, places, or things that I am very attached to. But if it is not something that I am attached to, I don’t have a big problem. I am an emotional person in general so I have kind of just come to terms with that, lol!

• July 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Great advice to exhaust Maya as much as possible…my goal is exactly that for the next 2 weeks.

43. July 18, 2010 9:12 pm

In a way, I’m like you and I throw things away because I HATE clutter with a passion…but I’m also hesitant to throw certain things away even if I don’t use them anymore. Like my tattered childhood blanket (aka Blankie)…kind of ashamed to admit that but oh well.
    Or books. I have stacks and stacks of books and I don’t have room for all of them, but I don’t want to get rid of them in case I want to read them again.

I’m happy you and your family enjoyed DC and had some fun meetups! And embraced culture. I definitely learned to do that as well when I travelled overseas. I don’t know anything about art either, but I can still enjoy an art museum once in a while.

I have a strong hatred for The Hills. I think there is something off about everyone on that show. I only watched a few episodes of the first season and instantly felt nauseated.

Oh, and I’m excited for us to have a meetup (whenever that may be). We can definitely talk makeup and I can be entertained by your witty personality 🙂

44. eva626 permalink
    April 16, 2011 3:20 pm

that picture of Ali is so hilarious!!!