A Shade Shadier

July 12, 2010

We landed in Washington D.C. yesterday and for the first time in more than a year we actually brought Maya with us on vacation.  Yes Ali and I travel all the time and no we never bring our child with us.  Let me count the ways I am a bad parent…

Sorry, I ran out of fingers.

Anyway, it goes without saying that I am learning a little more about my family than I wanted to.  I mean, what better time to learn about another person’s “quirks” than when you are on vacation?

For instance, I had no idea that Maya was so utterly unimpressed by some things…

“I don’t care about the big elephant.  Can we go get some chips now?”

And yet so impressed by others.

“So dad’s iPhone games work in Los Angeles AND Washington DC?  Neat.”

I also had no idea that Ali, the master of all things technology-related, wouldn’t be able to take a photo of the Lincoln Memorial with me in it.

And yet he managed to make our hotel room a miniature replica of the cable-ridden mess we call our living room.

I learned a few things about Abby Cadabby as well.  Did you know that Abby is allergic to pork, ham, bacon, raisins, sparkling water, and exercise?

Me neither.  She sounds a bit high-maintenance to be honest.

And who knew that Maya would be more interested in playing with the pool noodles than she would be in going on a tour of the Capitol Building?

No judgement here as I kind of was too actually.

Finally….who knew that Ali would take off to a spur-of-the-moment “Microsoft meeting” halfway through our Capitol Building tour?

That Ali…he’s shadier than I gave him credit for.

1. tra permalink
    July 12, 2010 7:35 pm

hahaa so funny! i love your posts.

maybe i am allergic to the same things.

hopefully you can meet J.C.! he calls adn texts everyday.

2. July 12, 2010 7:35 pm

When I was little, the pool was often the coolest part of the trip. I don’t really think it was ever necessary for us to travel any longer than an hour away from home. As long as there was a pool and a vending machine, my little bro and I were happy!

3. July 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Oooh, I love DC, chips, and pool noodles. And just in case you guys haven’t had your fill of Americana, I also liked the Smithsonian and the walls covered in silk in that one room on the White House tour 🙂

4. July 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Omg, so true that you learn things about your family you never knew while traveling. It’s definitely a whole new experience traveling with kids isn’t it? Sometimes I feel like I need a vacation from the vacation I was just on. Nowadays, I never travel anywhere unless one set of our parents are traveling with us. Haha.

Hope you guys have a great vacation, and that Abby Cadabby doesn’t get any more high maintenance ;-).

July 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Pool noodles are about the funnest things ever! Especially the hollow ones. You can blow through one end and shoot water to the other end of the pool! Yes, I’m seven, but I promise, its fun!

6. July 12, 2010 9:05 pm

sounds like fun- I’ve never been to DC!
    Abby Cadabby sounds like my kinda girl 😉

7. July 13, 2010 12:48 am

sweet child… May GOD bless your family.

8. July 13, 2010 2:35 am

I love DC- what a crazy area. And I’m sure you’re not a bad mother AT ALL!! 🙂

9. July 13, 2010 3:17 am

Family vacations definitely bring out the best and worst in everyone. And make you see things in people that. Sometimes. You wish you never saw 😛

Funny post! Have fun in DC! Meet some presidents for me!

10. July 13, 2010 4:03 am

I would definitely leave my kids at home too. What kid enjoys site seeing?! =)

11. July 13, 2010 4:16 am

I think my parents would have loved to let me and my sister sit by the pool and just chill all day. Instead, we were all about visiting every monument and museum in DC. That’s got to be tiring with kids!

12. July 13, 2010 4:17 am

I do think you need to be a little older to appreciate DC. (Well in 5th greade i was pretty fascinated by it!) But hey – hotel pools are what vacation is all about. enjoy your time!!

13. July 13, 2010 4:22 am

Lol…sounds like you’re having a great trip 🙂 Have fun!

14. louisianagrown permalink
    July 13, 2010 4:39 am

It sounds like neither you, Maya, or Ali really cared about the Capitol… he was just the only one smart enough to get himself out of it. 😉

15. Jessica permalink
    July 13, 2010 4:57 am

Great post! I love visiting DC. I’ve been there three times and still haven’t seen everything. I’d love to go again and just roam around and do my own thing.

And don’t worry, I’m sure others have thanked you for not taking your child on vacation with you in the past.

16. July 13, 2010 5:32 am

Aww it looks like you’re having so much fun!!! I love the part about Abby Cadaby. She’s pretty rockin’. And HM.

17. July 13, 2010 6:40 am

oh MAN, you thru me with this one, had no idea you were heading off for a trip!

HOW WAY FUN.

We don’t get to travel, let alone enough to even contemplate leaving kiddos behind. you must have way better babysitters than we do, or HELL YEAH, I’d be in Singapore or DC solo. (at least for 48 hours, and then I become a heap on the floor missing my lil guy’s antics)

jeez. something’s wrong with me!

I just want to go to Hawaii, like this half of the decade!
    xoxoxo

have a blast. My teenager went to DC a couple years ago. He loved it. He even spent his birthday away from home. He had fun but was seriously home sick; like mother, like son I guess.

can’t wait to see more (or not) hahaha

18. July 13, 2010 6:41 am

Too funny! Abby Cadaby sounds like a tough traveler buddy with all those allergies. She better take it easy!

19. July 13, 2010 6:49 am

Haha, family vacations always open up my eyes to new “quirks” I never knew about my family! That Abby Cadabby sounds like a trip! We took a family trip to DC when I was about in 6th grade and I whined and groaned about all the walking and sightseeing. But now looking back I’m so thankful my parents took me along!

20. July 13, 2010 7:01 am

I wish we could do more trips without M. It’s so hard traveling with a kid! I look forward to our Philly weekend trip in August for that reason. LOL

21. July 13, 2010 7:04 am

Haha. Everything about this post is like a microcosm of the frustration and love that is a family. Someone once told me that you should always travel with someone before you marry them because their responses and reactions to the unexpected (when they are off their home turf) is a good sign of how they’ll handle stress in general. I waited until Manski and I were married before we went to India, but his digestive resilience alone convinced me that I had nabbed a keeper. As for Abby Cadaby, I can tell by her postmodern coif alone that she aint going nowhere near the pool :/

22. Priyanka permalink
    July 13, 2010 7:21 am

I have to go to DC myself, never been there!I think being in the pool is the best part of a vacation 🙂

23. July 13, 2010 7:26 am

The capitol is fun and all, but pool noodles are better! Hope you are having a fun vacation!

24. Michelle permalink
    July 13, 2010 7:32 am

haha too funny. My dad would take vacations with out our family. I would never know about them until a few days after he left… haha

25. July 13, 2010 8:31 am

Haha, Ali is hilarious. And I have a feeling Maya takes after him, based on her enamoration with the iPhone. I can relate to Abby Cadabby’s particularities, but I think she needs to adjust to sparkling water.
    Have fun! Sounds like you’re getting a good mix of relaxing, family time and touring 🙂

26. July 13, 2010 9:10 am

So glad you got to DC safely!

When I was a kid (and still now) I’m like Maya… I was uninterested in anything having to do with history… pool noodles are the way to go 🙂

27. July 13, 2010 9:59 am

I love this post. Especially after recently doing a road trip with my two adorable little sprites. Who knew kids could survive for 11 days on sugar alone? Who knew it only takes 22 seconds to put ever dvd in the car into the wrong case? Who knew they would find the Grand Canyon boring but a playground ‘the best in the world ever!’

Well I do now and next year’s holiday will consist of me a road trip across town to a playground where I will promptly inform that we are in Kansas and isn’t it awesome?

But as in your case the pool saved us…didn’t matter what city we were in, just whether or not there was a pool. Kids…gotta love ’em.

28. July 13, 2010 10:19 am

What a great post! Congrats on traveling with the entire fam, Maya AND Abby Cadabby. I must admit that I often sneak one of our stuffed animals into a suitcase so that we have ‘stowaways’ when we travel (yes, we’re total dorks).
    Have a great time in DC! Good luck with the heat!

29. July 13, 2010 10:24 am

Abby is such a DIVA! haha ❤

lol Maya is the funniest kid ever 🙂 her personality is incredibly charasmatic!! my attention span at museums or anything to do with history was non existent! and if ur hungry its even more reason to STOP STARING AT SOMETHING haha… ohh how i loved this post SO MUCH! ❤ ❤

have a wonderful day!!

30. July 13, 2010 12:35 pm

You always crack me up! Who can fault you guys for traveling solo? Not their business if you ask me! 🙂

31. July 13, 2010 2:46 pm

hehehe…Abby Cadabby sure is high maintenance. I guess that means you, Maya and Ali are her entourage.

Amazing what we learn a bout loved ones while on trips. happens to me all the time. Then I wonder…”we’re related?” LOL.

32. July 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I remember traveling to Paris with my parents when I was around 7 years old, and being more interested in the pool that was in our hotel than in the palaces that my parents dragged me around to. I couldn’t be bothered to care about the Mona Lisa, but the water slide? Oh man. I was just itching to get back to it. Now that I’m older, I’d really love to go again and appreciate some of the finer things that the city has to offer. In fact, I would probably avoid the pools altogether, and choose to sit at a street corner cafe and people watch 🙂

33. July 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Lol, that’s too funny! Ali sounds like he’s exchanged ideas with my hubby. 😉 I hope you have a wonderful time on vacation!

34. July 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Hope you’re all enjoying your trip to DC! Sorry we weren’t able to meet up but… next time! 🙂

35. July 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Lol, I’m NOT planning on taking my kid on all of my vacations. It’s vacation for a reason.

But when I was in that museum, I remember being quite impressed by the elephant. I was an animal child though.

36. July 13, 2010 6:41 pm

I hope you have a lovely time…we loved visiting DC when we lived in Baltimore. Your family is so beautiful!

37. July 13, 2010 6:57 pm

I love that picture of Maya and Abby Cadabby. And I also love that her name is Abby Cadabby.

When I was Maya’s age, I probably wouldn’t have been too interested in touring the Capitol Building either. Or now. What’s in the Capitol building anyway? I hope that isn’t a stupid question. I’m Canadian. That’s my excuse for everything.
    But when my sister and I went to Madrid and Barcelona we tried really hard to be mature and go to art galleries and appreciate the fine pieces and not just hang out at beaches all day. We actually had a lot of fun. We don’t know much about art, but we know what we like, and we saw some pretty beautiful things (we also saw some pretty ugly things, but that’s a story for another day).

38. July 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I too remember the days when I could care less about where I was traveling, but about pool time, etc. I spent a summer in italy as a pre-teen and spent most time in our pool than venturing out to the small tuscan cities with my parents…ridiculous! I am glad I went back to fix that!

Oh and abby is quite the picky lil one…

39. July 14, 2010 12:28 am

Hahaha! Ameena, I don’t know if you even realize how funny you are!!

I totally get where Maya is coming from, though…chips over huge elephant any day…YUM!

40. July 14, 2010 7:21 am

OMG sounds so crazy. I am sure your husbands taking off was a surprise, but not too much of a surprise. I am very attached to my work too and it travels with me. I teach for an online university so I have major flexibility in terms of location, but I will always have students and paper grading.

Maybe in a few years Maya will have more of an appreciation. I think this may explain why you travel more without her.

41. July 14, 2010 8:37 am

Ha 🙂 that made me laugh.
    Sometimes I really want to enjoy a museum but my pea brain just wanders… like Maya, its usually toward food LOL.

42. July 14, 2010 9:35 am

As a child the Pool was the first place I wanted to check out when entering a hotel.

43. nadia permalink
    July 14, 2010 10:27 am

hi meena, so glad you’re having such a grt time, we are so missing DC right now! loved the last post, can’t believe how well hass did for FWM, i am so impressed! can’t wait to see more pics from georgetown…XOXOXO

44. July 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Allergic to sparkling water AND exercise?? How does Abby Cadabby live in LA??

I remember trips to DC when I was little. I was much more entranced with the hotel pool than with history. I mean, those noodles make me float! 😛 I don’t think an appreciation of history kicks in until you’re about … 85.

Have a great rest of trip, Ameena!

45. July 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Awww what a fun trip! I hope you guys are having a wonderful family vacay! Hey, no judging. I think if I had kids I would want to travel with Ryan alone too 😉

You are too cute!
    xxoo

46. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 14, 2010 6:25 pm

I love DC. I want to move there, but I cannot. I got this whole PhD thing. Crap. Thanks for sharing the pics. You look beautiful!

47. July 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Whenever I went on trips with my parents as a kid I was way more interested in stuff like the pool or the hot chocolate place around the corner or the merry go round…not the fancy buildings and the art museums. I can’t tell you how many state and national parks and nature areas I got dragged to.

And you do not fail at parenting in any way, as far as I can tell. Maya seems pretty damn well adjusted to me!

Oh and just so you know, I would have been entertained by the big elephant. You can bring me next time. 🙂 Have fun Din family!

48. squigglefloey permalink
    July 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Ah, that’s amazing (in response to your heritage question i asked you earlier). My roommates are Indian and their culture is so inviting– they’re some of the sweetest most generous people I’ve ever met!
    Yeah, well, my parents weren’t too thrilled about the journalism thing either haha. Well, my dad wasn’t. I just saw your bio though– you’re working on a book? That’s amazing…details? 😛

Floey

49. July 15, 2010 6:09 am

I love your blog, and I also love DC! I often fantasize about moving there. And I think your daughter’s “unconventional” interests are a sign of a creative imagination 🙂

50. July 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Haha kids are kids. They love doing their own things and no one can do anything about it. I’m sorry about your Capitol Building tour though!

51. July 15, 2010 5:26 pm

lol dont even get me started on family vacations.. we were pros on traveling family style. and we all wanted to lay by the pool, my parents dragged us to monuments and stuff.. argh.
    i am in the same bad parent club, having the peanut around 24/7 gets tiring, she gets to go on sleepovers why cant i have a 3 day sleepover party??

52. July 15, 2010 8:34 pm

O boy, kids these days! I remember when I was a kid and it was big deal my dad had a car phone! not a cell, a car phone!
    I bet its super hot in DC now, but we are finally getting heat in la, thank goodness it dry and not humid!
    Dont apologize for not wanting to take your daughter with you on vacations, its a schlep! And thats what baby sitters and grandparents are for!

53. July 20, 2010 7:46 pm

This is too cute! I love that you will have this little “diary” persay when she is grown! how fun!

54. July 6, 2011 10:29 pm

It?s really a great and useful piece of info. I?m glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.