An afternoon in Beverly Hills

July 9, 2010

Aside from the occasional airport pickup, laundry “assistance,” and requests to help land a girlfriend (kidding!!  kind of??), my brother doesn’t ask me for favors too often.  That’s why, when he asked me to shamelessly plug the event he did for the Free Wheelchair Mission I readily agreed.

Jazz in June anybody?

My brother’s snazzy rooftop in Beverly Hills made the perfect backdrop for the event.  Lucky for us the June-gloom dissipated and the weather ended up being beautiful.

All you can eat sushi - what more of an incentive does one need to write a generous check?

As someone who has trouble asking for directions, nevermind for items to donate for a silent auction, I was again quite impressed with the array of jewelry, autographed books, wine, and gadgets that  my brother had available to bid on.

Note the camera in a sea of jewelry? I give you two guesses as to which tech-obsessed person in my life donated it....

I donated a bottle of Chateau Montelena but I was told it wasn’t “good enough” for the auction.  I wasn’t too surprised.  I know less about wine than I do parenting…which means I know next to nothing about wine.

MIT graduate Don Schoendorfer (not the individual in this photo) designed this wheelchair using elements already in existence. It costs just $59.20 to manufacture and deliver to the most remote areas of the globe.

I’m glad my brother and I are close now.  We used to fight nonstop but we’ve limited our arguments to approximately 1 major blowup each year.  Our annual fight is downright ugly and includes horrible, mean things we don’t actually mean and loads of four letter words I can’t repeat in front of Maya.

All I can say is that we are no longer welcome at Gyu-Kaku and I do believe that Ali’s cousin (who witnessed our annual fight back in 2004) will never recover.

My friend Adam, my sister-in-law Mediha, me, and my friend Nadia

Anyway, who knew that the same kid who took close to three months to learn how to tie his shoelaces (unlike my superstar Maya) would be able to throw a party for 75 people with absolutely no hiccups?

Sprinkles Cupcakes handled the dessert, and they did it beautifully.

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with my brother for putting this event on. He raised close to $10,000 for such a worthy cause!

Things got chilly when the sun set but the view of Beverly Hills got even more gorgeous.

I’m proud of you Has…now all we need to do is find you a pretty girl.  This is my second offer ladies…any takers?

Shaz (Nadia's husband), Adam, Brian (who took all of these photos), and Hassan.

I feel our annual fight coming on…

To learn more about this organization, check our their site : Free Wheelchair Mission

1. July 9, 2010 9:28 pm

Your brother sounds like a wonderful person to help with such a wonderful event. Congratulations for raising so much money!
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    p.s. one day i have to try a sprinkles cupcake!

2. actorsdiet permalink
    July 9, 2010 9:48 pm

wow your bro’s a rock star!!!

3. July 9, 2010 9:57 pm

Huge kudos and two thumbs up to your brother for raising all that money for such a great cause! And a bit over $50 for a wheel chair?! Wow! That is such a great price cause they can be quite pricey.

I think I’ve mentioned this before but I ain’t afraid to say it again, your brother is quite the handsome fella, and such a great smile too!

Have a great weekend, dear 😀

4. July 10, 2010 3:40 am

It was so sweet of you to post this for your brother! you should automatically get to win the next fight because of it.

And really kudos to him for putting on this event! (Imagine what kind of things maya will be able to plan…seeing as how she’s already one-upped him on the shoelace thing.)

5. thethoughtsinherhead permalink
    July 10, 2010 3:49 am

Cute friends. I’d bite, but I am a mess and less-than-appealing to others.
    L.A. Would like to be there.

6. July 10, 2010 4:03 am

Awww…your brother’s a cutie! Too bad I’m married 🙂

Looks like a great event!

7. July 10, 2010 4:04 am

what a great event! looks like it was a blast and very well put together

8. July 10, 2010 5:14 am

Your brother sounds like a great guy, Ameena. Kind, handsome, and rich? It’s really hard to believe that he’s not married! I always complain that all the good one seem to be taken, but apparently that’s not always the case…

9. July 10, 2010 5:43 am

What a catch!! If I weren’t knocked up and married, I’d be on a plane right now! 😉 What an awesome organization… what a brilliant idea to make those wheelchair so affordable for people all around the world.

10. July 10, 2010 5:44 am

He should have put himself up for auction in a “Bid for the Bachelor” type thing 😉 If I had money and lived in California, I would most certainly consider it a good investment.

What a great event and a great cause.

11. July 10, 2010 6:04 am

Wow– $10 000 raised?! That’s incredible!!! Congratulations on supporting such a great cause. Free Wheelchair Mission sounds like such a unique initiative–and one that could actually make a difference because it’s affordable–and I think it’s very cool that your brother got involved in the project.

🙂 Aletheia

12. July 10, 2010 7:04 am

That is a great organization. I read some of the stories. The wheelchairs have made such a difference for the people.

13. July 10, 2010 7:09 am

What a great event! That’s amazing that they came up with such an economical solution.

You know, I’m single now, but Atlanta is pretty far from LA. 🙂

14. July 10, 2010 7:11 am

That is such a great thing your brother is doing! Congrats on the event- definitely looked like a success!

15. Jessica permalink
    July 10, 2010 7:13 am

Wow – how awesome of your brother! $10,000 is an amazing amount of money for one rooftop event!

My brother and I are still in our ‘petty arguement/me trying to be his mom’ phase. I’m sure most of our kinks will work out with time.

And don’t worry – I don’t know a damn thing about wine either. I just stick with my Moscato and drink up.

16. July 10, 2010 7:27 am

What a fabulous event! Sushi AND Sprinkles? Yet again, I’m sad we don’t live in the same city and are forced to being computer friends. Oh, and sorry, I’m saving all the single girls I know for my brother-in-law ’cause my mother-in-law said she’d ease up on the whole “you haven’t given me any grandbabies” bit if I at least helped to get the brother-in-law hitched 🙂

17. July 10, 2010 8:32 am

Looks like it was a blast!! It’s been forever since I’ve had Sprinkles. I was so excited when I found out they were in Dallas and I moved here 🙂 YUM!!

18. July 10, 2010 8:45 am

what a fun event. props to your brother. I think that wheelchair is really something.

19. July 10, 2010 8:54 am

Your brother sounds like a good guy 😀 And the event looked great (especially with the gorgeous scenery)!

20. July 10, 2010 1:26 pm

I have worked for many non-profits over the last few years and I am THE master schmoozer. It’s probably my biggest talent. I bet I could have doubled your donations. It’s kind of a random talent to have, but hey, I’ll take it. If talking up rich, old people can buy some wheelchairs or feed some kids, I don’t mind.

That said, I love this kind of thing! It honestly sounds like fun to me. What’s not to love? I’m single, but I’m pretty sure I’m like, a decade to young for your brother…haha.

Happy weekend!

• July 12, 2010 4:27 am

I wish I’d known Coronae because we definitely would have hit up your schmoozing talents!! Maybe next year?

21. highonhealthy permalink
    July 10, 2010 3:09 pm

That wheelchair is downright extraordinary and it blows my mind that there are such creative people out there! I wish I could think up things like that but I’ll save that for another life.. maybe. Actually I have no interest in thinking up things like that but they are still pretty cool.

Your bro has skills to have done something like that!

22. July 10, 2010 8:59 pm

What a cool event! You’re hilarious for trying to set up your brother. I had to laugh when you said, “I feel our annual fight coming on…”

23. July 10, 2010 9:31 pm

What a great event for a great cause. It is so important for us to stay connected to the work that people are doing in our communities and the world. Thank you for sharing this with us!

24. dmcgirl37 permalink
    July 11, 2010 5:26 am

I love the idea of the wheel chair. How incredibly thought ful! I’m sure it will help many, many, many people! Thanks for sharing..

Dana xo

25. Michelle permalink
    July 11, 2010 7:06 am

That is such a great wheelchair! That is just so spectacular that he has raised that much money! Wahoo

26. July 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Your brother did an amazing job — congrats on raising so much! That wheelchair is pretty amazing!

27. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    July 11, 2010 1:32 pm

That wheelchair looks amazing!

Your brother sounds like such a great guy! I love that you always announce that he’s single! Too bad I live so far away 🙂 Oh yah . . . and have a boyfriend. Technicalities!

28. July 11, 2010 2:05 pm

great pics of the cup cakes! LOVE this event- super cool cause!

29. July 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Wow, congrats to your brother for raising such a huge amount of money. That’s a ton for an individual (vs. a corp.) to raise. That’s AWESOME!

30. July 11, 2010 3:41 pm

pimp my ride…i mean pimp my wheel chair! LOVE IT!

its 90210 Ameena style!

seriously, thats so awesome- thats a lot of jewelry!!

xoxo ❤

31. July 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! 🙂 I have been a long time reader of yours – I love hearing those stories about your daughter. I especially enjoyed the “loading the dishwasher” video – she is too cute.

I get those Crunchmaster crackers from Costco! They’re $7 for 2 huge bags – unfortunately I have to buy a box every week because I eat them so much!!!

32. Hassan permalink
    July 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Readers, please note, I asked my sister to plug my charity and not my dating life. However, I know her heart is in the right place, so its much appreciated (call me ladies!)

Thanks to all of you who are taking an interest in the cause. It is an amazing cause and it resonates a lot for me. The party was much easier for me than it looked as I hired a planner who did 99% of the heavy lifting..I just showed up.

PS: Ameena is not just a good writer, but a very giving person and I appreciate her giving a shout out.

33. July 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Totally cool event. Kudos to your brother for organizing it.

I want some cupcakes now.

34. July 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Your brother is awesome! Was it at the Thompson? I had a few events there, its a beautiful hotel!
    I CANNOT believe the gloominess in LA. Its chilly too! I like hot summer nights sometimes. I hope to run into you these days at our local Trader Joes!

35. July 12, 2010 4:14 am

Super party! It looks like a lot of fun, I love the rooftop location!

36. July 12, 2010 6:04 am

ROFL @ your brothers comment.. too funny! if i were single, id fly out there in a heartbeat!!!!! lol

that is an awesome charity though, im sure the people who receive these wheelchairs are very grateful for the chance to have mobility when they otherwise wouldnt! nice work!

37. July 12, 2010 9:07 am

Wow, what an amazing cause! And that looks like a very nice event that your brother had. I’m glad it was so successful.

I know next to nothing about wine either (or parenting for that matter). I don’t even drink anymore, so I’m not bothering to learn. When I’m around people who are talking about the taste of their fine wine and what to pair it with, I have to smile and nod and pretend I know what they’re talking about.

The pictures are so nice! You look gorgeous. And I really like your sunglasses. Just sayin.

38. July 12, 2010 10:57 am

Beautiful event and your brother is cuute. Congrats on the fundraising-amazing!
    My brother is 11 months younger than me and we just recently got out of the fighting stage. We now unconditionally love each other. It’s a strange turnaround for sure. I can’t believe you guys fought enough in public to get kicked out of a restuarant lol that’s hilarious.

39. July 12, 2010 11:05 am

Dear Ameena – What a heartwarming story. Your comment on knowing less about wine than parenting made me chuckle – do all us Mom’s feel this way? 🙂

Wonderful cause and though I cannot comment on sibling rivalry being an only kid and all, I do admire the support you two share. The evening looks so glamorous and so is the food and ambience. What fun!

Thanks for sharing.

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

40. July 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Ameena, I really feel like you live on TV when you talk about jaunts down to Beverly Hills. Seriously! This looks like it was a gorgeous party. That patio looks fantastic.
    As for the sibling rivalry, I have two older sisters and suffice it to say that there is no lack of micromanagement of the other in a family of only women. Having said that, my sisters are pretty much absolute gems. One of them even produced a cute-as-a-button nephew for me, so I really can’t complain 🙂

41. July 12, 2010 1:32 pm

what a great and lovely event! I do hope that killer camera brought in some nice offers! haha

love the sister/brother love/hate thing. I have a few. It seems like recently we are on the at odds side of things, ah…good times.

I love a good bloody fight! really!

great event! good for all of you!
    big hearts!
    xoxox

can i have a cupcake?

42. July 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow, looks like a great event and for such a wonderful cause!

43. squigglefloey permalink
    July 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey girlie 🙂 Just found your bloggie, you and your family are gorgeous! Congrats to coming so far with your brother…looks like you guys had a wonderful time. What nationality are you? you’re beautiful!

Floey

44. July 12, 2010 11:58 pm

This looks like an amazing organization. I am often thankful of how much I can get around even if I can’t drive and can only walk a couple blocks. In the fall and winter I often had to use a wheelchair at the airport or to go to the museum. Lack of mobility is one of the hardest things in the world. It is so amazing to be able to give these chairs to people who are much worse off than me of course, and who can’t afford them themselves. I am very humbled by this post.

45. July 14, 2010 11:21 am

looks flawless! sounds like your bro did a great job. i’ve been to many similar events, but that one looked top notch!!