Electric Blue Cables

July 7, 2010

As I mentioned in my last post, I was excited to get back to the real world after the wedding extravaganza last weekend.  So you can imagine my anger disappointment when Maya woke up sick yesterday morning.

Now any good mother would be upset that her child is sick – and I am no exception – but since I aim to be 99.99% honest on this blog I’ll admit that I felt more sorry for myself when I realized that Maya would be home torturing me with questions all day long.

There.  I said it.  You can hate me if you want, and I totally deserve it, but find me a mom who loves to stay home with a sick kid and I’ll show you someone in denial.

Anyway, I got zero work done but our day was still fairly productive.   Most importantly, Maya learned to tie her shoes!

My superstar kid mastered the process in 30 minutes.

After that we worked on her reading/math, took a walk to Trader Joe’s, returned something at Bloomingdale’s, bought a gift, and then returned home to make dinner for my parents and brother.

After cleaning up dinner I walked into the living room and couldn’t resist taking this picture:

My dad is on his laptop, Maya is on Ali's laptop, my brother is typing away on his Blackberry, and Ali is on my computer with my iPad in his lap.

Apparently Ali’s disease is contagious and now my entire family is addicted to technology.  Next thing you know they’ll be comparing cable collections.

Speaking of cable collections, I had to dip into Ali’s precious stash today.  Why you ask?

This lovely electric blue cable is currently snaking its way through my living room.

Well, I have Verizon to thank for that.  Actually, I’d like to formally thank Verizon for allowing me to waste 3+ hours of my day making friends with their employees all over the world.  I really enjoyed being switched from department to department only to be told that due to outages across the Los Angeles area I needed to reset my IP address.  And when that didn’t work they determined I needed a new router.  I know our router works just fine and it really is Verizon’s faulty service that is the problem, but whatever.

All I know is that right now there is only one internet connection, courtesy of the electric blue cable snaking down my living room.  I am a bit scared to ponder the long-term effects of this one and only connection.

Things might get ugly around here and Verizon has only itself to blame.

1. July 7, 2010 8:11 pm

whenever i’m home i dread it when my sibs get sick so that they’re home and bothering me. so no judgment here 🙂

2. July 7, 2010 8:54 pm

You are right – any mom not dreading sick kids is in denial! 🙂 Lovely last pic…technology rules, eh?

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

3. July 7, 2010 9:00 pm

Aw hope Maya feels better for both of your sakes.
    My family is addicted to technology too it’s pretty ridiculous. It’s a huge problem when the router is down in our house lol. I complain too not gonna lie!
    Thanks so much for your comment on my post and I’m going to take your advice on my diet.

4. July 7, 2010 9:39 pm

Yay for Maya learning to tie her shoes! I only buy Velcro cause I’m too lazy to tie my kids’ shoes. Hope she feel better soon. I totally feel sorry for my kids and myself when either of us are sick.

Ugh, I hate dealing with any type of company. Especially ones that keep transferring you from one representative to another hoping someone will know what they’re doing. Hope they get your (and by your I mean their) problem solved soon. Oh, and too funny about the picture.

5. July 7, 2010 10:04 pm

how funny, I went to Traders today too! and since we both live in LA, it could have been the same one!
    My parents dragged me to work whenI got sick, so clearly they didnt want to stay with me at home either.
    Dont apologize for not liking to do it. Motherhood is never enjoyable 100%, if it were, it wouldn’t be motherhood.

6. July 7, 2010 10:10 pm

Your honesty and writing is so refreshing. I get excited each time I see one of your posts. Maya looks adorable, and I’m glad that she isn’t too sick. And I agree, dealing with any kind of company over the phone is so frustrating!

7. July 8, 2010 2:56 am

Congrats to Maya! She’s probably the only kid who gets sick and learns to tie her shoes and goes on outings to Trader Joe’s AND Bloomies all in one day. She’s very accomplished that one. (And adorable…you’re going to have some serious issues with boys when she gets older….hate to tell you.)

Your family is crazy about the technology…my parents still haven’t figured out how to send an email so I don’t think I have to worry about that. The blue cable wire is all mine. I hope your internet gets fixed soon…otherwise I foresee WWIII happening…

8. July 8, 2010 3:14 am

HAHAHA I love it. 🙂

9. July 8, 2010 3:19 am

I had to take care of my sick nephew a few weeks ago and it was awful. I’m not a mom and learned that I have very little tolerance!

Great job on the shoe tying, Maya rocks! It took me way longer to figure that process out.

10. July 8, 2010 3:34 am

Ugh– I feel your pain on the Verizon thing. We’ve spent many an afternoon like that with the AT&T people. Lovely.

11. July 8, 2010 4:13 am

Haha…my house is littered with wires of all sorts, and my husband hates it when I tell him to make them disappear. I hate seeing them. Too bad he and Ali are working when you’re in DC because I think they’d get along. I think Ali is the West Coast PC version of my East Cost Mac husband.

12. July 8, 2010 4:36 am

I wish we still loved in a city with a Trader Joe’s. Ah TJ’s, how I miss you so. Oh, and that family picture is hilarious. I think we have a similar one from Thanksgiving weekend when all the kids came home and everyone brought their laptops 🙂

13. July 8, 2010 5:15 am

That picture made me laugh- isn’t it crazy how you would have never seen that 15-20 years ago?

14. July 8, 2010 5:26 am

I totally love you! Can I just say that? I love how real you are with regard to parenting. You just lay it out there I feel like you actually have the guts to say what 99% of parents think! You ROCK!

• July 8, 2010 7:16 pm

Kelly – Thank YOU for writing this! I was a bit worried people were going to hate me!!

15. highonhealthy permalink
    July 8, 2010 5:43 am

Haha.. my family would probably look extremely similar to yours if someone were to take a picture of us since we’re on the computer a lot. Thankfully we are all in different rooms so it doesn’t seem as bad.

I wouldn’t want to spend the day with a sick child so I don’t blame you for feeling sorry for yourself. I feel sorry for you too! 😉

16. July 8, 2010 5:52 am

that cable would infuriate me too! as well as the botched job by verizon. hope maya is feeling better!!

17. traynharder23 permalink
    July 8, 2010 6:09 am

i. HATE. when the internet is down and they give you shitty reasons for it! IT”S COZ THEY MESSED UP, not you. gah! tech support. MAN, so annoying.

I LOVE your family picture!! ahahahha. hilarious. =)

hopefully you had a great 4th! miss you guys!

18. July 8, 2010 6:14 am

I hate it when my boyfriend is sick! he acts like such a baby… Totally know how you feel.
    Too bad about Verizon! I used to work for Comcast doing tech support for Internet and I absolutely hated telling people there was an outage or that I couldn’t help them! I don’t think they were a very good company…

19. July 8, 2010 6:20 am

Hope Maya’s feeling better now!! Her teacher will thank you for teaching her how to tie her shoes!! 🙂 And I just have to tell you that you have such a gorgeous living room!! So lovely!! 🙂

20. July 8, 2010 6:55 am

Yay for Maya and tying her shoes! JJ just finally can now get his velcro shoes on by himself, instead of chucking them across the room saying “Es too hard”.

YAY!!!

I hear you and the day of questions but I honestly have to say that I am (and not in denial) not happy my kids are ever sick but HAPPY it means I get to stay home, guilt free from dodging the office, and being MOM. making soup and fussing over my babies. I NEVER get that and I love it.

my kids are never sick! I guess I should be happy.

and I could take the same picture…the other night, I was on my lap top (editing my post), JJ was on my iPad, and the boys were on the side by each computer stations.

plus the tv was on (nick jr) and my phone (and my teen’s phone) were constantly beeping from texts.

ahhhh

it’s insanity but we love it so.

have a great day Ameena…go get yourself a quiet cup o joe!
    xooxox

• July 8, 2010 7:28 pm

I have to say Cindy that I have a ton of respect for you for saying that you’d love to stay home with your sick kids! I need about 1/4 of your unbelievable patience and understanding. I’m sure Maya would agree. 🙂

21. July 8, 2010 7:51 am

seems like all this cable/dsl companies are the same. I have Time Warner, and I’m sure you heard lots of horror stories about them. Sadly that’s the only option we have here. Hope Maya feels better and though I don’t have a kid, I can feel your pain having taking care a sick kid.

22. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    July 8, 2010 7:59 am

hahaha I LOVE that picture 🙂 My family is the same, but its not computers, its cell phones. My dad plays solitaire on his cell all day long, and my mom has just discovered hangman. You walk into their house at any given time and you can pretty much count on finding them both sitting there, playing on their phones. Its hilarious.

23. July 8, 2010 8:08 am

Aww I hope Maya is feeling better soon. And can I just say that I love how honest you are with respects to parenting? I’m pretty sure my mom hated staying home with me when I was sick as well, but she always denied it. I wonder what she’d say if I asked her now…

And my family is the same way with technology… I’m usually on the computer, and my dad is always on the couch watching TV (sometimes with a laptop on his lap)… only my mom seems to be unaffected by the technology bug; but I think that’s more because she really has no idea how to use it and hasn’t bothered trying to learn how.

24. July 8, 2010 8:09 am

Yep. That mother would be in denial. As much as I love M’s cuddles when she is sick since I don’t get them too much otherwise, I hate being on house arrest with a more whiny kid.

25. July 8, 2010 8:12 am

Way to go Maya for tying her shoes! That’s tough stuff she mastered.

26. July 8, 2010 8:20 am

I don’t know anyone who would want to be home with a sick child…or a sick human, in general. I can’t stand when Lawrence is sick (or injured…he manages to do this with annoying regularity). I start worrying that I’m going to get sick, I get germaphobic and my OCD rears its ugly head. Not fun. Hope she feels better soon though. She tied her shoes, so it can’t be all bad!

That picture of everyone engaged with their technology is HILARIOUS. Sign of the times… Now if only someone else was present to take a picture of you taking a picture, then the circle of technology would be complete 😉

27. July 8, 2010 9:51 am

I couldn’t agree with you more on the sick kid thing! So true!

As for Verizon… I truly can’t stand calling the phone or cable company. Its like pulling teeth trying to accomplish one tiny thing!

28. July 8, 2010 10:46 am

I love that picture of your family 🙂 everyone on a lap top 🙂 You should frame it

29. July 8, 2010 10:52 am

Oh Ameena. Now I know what my Mom felt like whenever I called in sick.

😛

Just kidding. She wasn’t even home and actually still went to work. So I guess you up her in that department. 😛 (Don’t worry though I still love my Mom to pieces.)

Maya learning to tie her shoe is a big milestone. Really and truly. 🙂 Your family’s addiction to technology picture is funny–and I’m sure a faithful replicate of it could be made with my own. Haha.

xo Aletheia

30. Michelle permalink
    July 8, 2010 11:35 am

Awww I hope Maya is feeling better (and your day is better!) My family is that way when we go up to our… CABIN. In the woods. We sit on our laptops and watch digital cable on the television. How sad.

31. July 8, 2010 11:56 am

That darn Verizon! How dare they. So cute she has learned to tie her shoes. I hope she is feeling better soon.

32. actorsdiet permalink
    July 8, 2010 3:38 pm

that pic of everyone with their laptops is great – i feel like that’s what happens a lot in my house…if only we could get julius one of his own…

33. July 8, 2010 6:14 pm

You get no judgement from me. I get very off-put by crying (read: screaming) children in public places and that usually makes me say things that I later want to take back…like “I’ll never have kids” and other things that are not as nice…because I really think I do want kids, even with my lack of patience and my affinity of peace and quiet..I still think being a mother is in my future. I hope I’m not absolutely terrible at it.

Oh and that picture of your family and all their technological toys made me laugh. That is exactly how I pictured your household, after all your technology stories. Very funny.

34. traynharder23 permalink
    July 8, 2010 6:22 pm

i didn’t know maya loved that place! and YES we will have to have a park date! i can’t wait for that…and i will try to get J.C. to just come with me en route. lol. i know i will have to take a picture of him. i’ll try on saturday at the beach.

35. July 8, 2010 7:03 pm

I hate all the cables that come along with internet, etc. I try to hide them the best I can–if you saw the mess behind my desk, you’d feel better.

Hope Maya feels better soon!!

36. July 9, 2010 5:04 am

YOU ARE SO NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING SELFISH!!!

SERIOUSLY.

My sister has a 2-year-old…and when she’s trying to do stuff – she’s always been independent – and he’s in her way, she gets annoyed SO quickly. Just the little things….she’s tired at the end of the day and he’s running around and she’s literally on the couch just saying the sweetest things to him…but from the couch LOL…not always like that of course! But I can imagine it’s hard – it’s like it’s so much about their lives…and what about yours?…hmmm – let’s write a book on this! 🙂

37. July 9, 2010 6:27 am

omg everyone is addicted to the internet!! haha its really crazy nowadays to just walk outside and focus on everyone using a cellphone or sitting at the cafe with their blackberry texting, or just on their laptops. such a strange world when u look at it that way. but hey, i guess its replacing the tv huh lol.

xoxo ❤

38. Jessica permalink
    July 9, 2010 6:42 am

Oh man! That’s a big step – congrats to Maya.

Electronics – they are everywhere. Sometimes I try to imagine life without them or wonder what will be here in ten years.
    I was teaching piano the other day and one of my students brought in her cell phone. She’s six years old. I just stared at her and asked who in the world she had to call so often that she needed a cellphone. She just shrugged her shoulders and said “Mom?”. I said “Aren’t you with her all the time anyway?”. I didn’t get my own cellphone until I was 16 years old. It kind of makes me wonder what this generation will be like as they get older.

• July 9, 2010 6:55 pm

Wow, a 6-year-old with a cell phone? I was in college before I got one!

39. July 9, 2010 9:46 am

You had me sign up the minute you were another honest mother about how depressing it is when a child has to stay home from school! Bravo for saying it like it is. Technolgy-wise, we’re in the IT business so I see nothing wrong with that picture. 😉

40. July 9, 2010 12:15 pm

It’s amazing how technology has conquered out lives. hehehe… At least there was an upside to the day…Maya learned to tie her shoes. 🙂

41. July 9, 2010 1:29 pm

Aww! Poor girl! Yeah, I hate companies like that too. I feel really stereotypical American when it happens, but if I’ve been shuttled between 3 people in a foreign country I can barely understand, sometimes I just to say “Screw your outsourcing boss and get me with someone who understands what I’m saying!”

42. July 9, 2010 1:48 pm

I don’t blame you in the least for being bummed out my Maya being sick! I remember when I used to get sick a lot when I was about her age – I was really annoying. My poor mom.

I laughed at the picture of simultaneous technology use 😛 Whenever I go to my in-laws’ house it’s the same thing. I can’t even imagine what one Internet connection at the house would be like. There would be riots!

Crossing my fingers that things will look up for you 🙂

43. July 9, 2010 5:29 pm

haha it’s understandable that you would want the day to yourself. I have a younger brother (not even my child…) and he drives me nuts.

And the technology picture is too funny!

44. July 10, 2010 7:46 am

Haha!! That picture is absolutely priceless!

1. An afternoon in Beverly Hills « Fancy That…Fancy This