Placing the Blame

June 27, 2010

So there I was with a blank WordPress screen taunting me and the Big World Cup (per Maya) blaring in the background.

Yes, suddenly Ali and Maya have turned into soccer aficionados.  Between listening to Maya randomly yell “defense” every few minutes to to the strange non-stop background noise, I have to wonder how people watch this all day without developing the mother of all migraines.

I actually Googled “What is the annoying noise in the background during the World Cup?” because I was that baffled by the droning sound.  Approximately 42,300 results came up in 0.19 seconds and I immediately felt better knowing that I am not the only person who asks stupid questions.

Apparently the South African fans blow “vuvuzela” horns during the games.  And apparently they never stop.  I’d like to blame my writer’s block on the vuvuzela horns.  I’d also like to blame our dirty kitchen, the loads of laundry, and my dying orchid on the vuvuzela horns as well.  I invite you to do the same.

I was unable to focus and so desperate for a post topic that I asked Ali for ideas on what I should write about.  He generously threw out a few pearls of wisdom, his gaze never straying from the television, as follows:

• FIFA World Cup
  • June gloom
  • Medicines and/or prescriptions
  • Healthcare system
  • The beach
  • The zoo

Yes, this really is my husband’s thought process.  When I asked him what I was supposed to do with any/all of these topics he said,“Get creative.  Isn’t that why you are a writer?”

I’d like to blame this sub-par post on my husband and the vuvuzela horns.  Again, I invite you to do the same.

1. June 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Teehee, cute post Ameena! Another sign of a great writer, even when you have nothing to write about you can still write about nothing and turn it into something humorous.

I’ve always loved playing and watching all kinds of sports but for some reason I just can’t get into watching the world cup. Hmmm.

2. June 27, 2010 8:49 pm

i cant even concentrate when i watch tv shows with “tv laughter in the background” (a.k.a. two and a half men).. once i realize its happening i cant zone it out! so hearing horns or baffling banter in the background would have made me google search myself!!! ❤

3. June 27, 2010 9:05 pm

I must admit that the World Cup sucks me into its magic on a regular basis (once every 4 years), but since we don’t have cable for TV (don’t ask), I usually resort to going to the gym at certain appointed times and/or reading highlights. Personally, I really like just reading the highlights since it takes the stress away. For instance, if I had had to watch the US game yesterday, it would have been total heartbreak. Instead, I was some
    where in Utah when that excitement was going on, so I just read up on the results.
    But apparently the vuvuzela horns are quite distracting to the players, and also they think that the ball was cursed.
    Fun times.

4. June 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Ah yes…I too got distracted this afternoon, and just now finished a post. It is far too difficult for me to write when the television is on. I have to have complete silence (although I often like to read my writing out loud).

5. June 28, 2010 3:32 am

My mother kills orchids with gusto, and I’m sure it has something to do with those stupid horns as well 😀

6. June 28, 2010 3:35 am

I always say I have the attention span of a gnat on crack, as I am so easily distracted it’s ridiculous. Actually, I only get distracted if I’m not really into what I’m doing. If I’m totally putting my all into something I really care about, I have to keep at it or else I can’t get anything else done. Anyway…

I’m the biggest sports fan in the world, but can’t wait for the World Cup to be over. The vuvuzela horns sound like a swarm of bees, which has me paranoid the whole time the game is on. That would be why I switch back to my beloved baseball, where the only background noise is the beer vendor and a drunken fan yelling obscenities about the batter’s girlfriend.

7. June 28, 2010 4:17 am

They were talking about that on the radio the other day. One of the radio-people was saying that noise was just impossible…you continue to hear it long after the TV is turned off.

8. June 28, 2010 4:18 am

Maya yelling defense sounds like it would be really cute / funny to watch.

9. June 28, 2010 4:26 am

An exercise in writing when your head is blank. I always wonder how professional authors do it, you know?!

10. June 28, 2010 4:31 am

I feel like I went through the same thing with the latest NBA playoffs (minus the cute kid yelling defense). I approve of your blame theory because I’m certain that’s why my orchid died 🙂

11. June 28, 2010 4:33 am

I can’t watch the World Cup because of those horns. They drive me insane and I can’t even pay attention to what the commentators are saying. I can’t imagine actually being there and having to put up with it in person; I think I’d lose my mind. My dad watches a lot of the matches, and it’s bad enough trying to concentrate with that kind of background noise, so I’m definitely feeling you on that one.

Despite having writer’s block, you still managed to come up with a creative post. You’re a gifted writer, Ameena.

12. June 28, 2010 4:39 am

So THAT’S why I haven’t been doing any writing! Thanks for giving me an excuse 🙂

13. June 28, 2010 5:38 am

Those horns bugged me a lot at first and now I don’t even notice them…haha!

14. June 28, 2010 5:39 am

this is so funny! I have heard that musicians are starting to incorporate the vuvuzela into their songs…

15. June 28, 2010 6:06 am

hahah my entire family (including me) has those stupid horns. as annoying as they are when i’m trying to study they are pretty awesome to use hahaha

June 28, 2010 6:16 am

I’ve asked my boyfriend for post topics before. He always suggests something that involves him. Someone is a little into himself.

17. traynharder23 permalink
    June 28, 2010 6:42 am

i love how ali just spit out tons of ideas…without tearing himself away from the tv. i find world cup boring. hockey stanley cup- that’s exciting!

yeah, the guy says i’m really distracting to guys. more on that later for you.

prince of persia is pg 13, so not a good thing for maya. we should go see toy story 3 together tho!

how you been? how’s the swimming lessons? if they’re nearby i’d like to come watch- i miss that stuff- i was a swimmer all through middle school. (4 years).

18. June 28, 2010 6:49 am

I totally googled that same exact phrase!!!! haha, that is TOO funny!! Andrew had it on and I was about to go INSANE with that awful background noise. Ugh, hate it!!

19. June 28, 2010 7:00 am

I always have to turn the TV on mute when I’m trying to post. I get too distracted!

20. June 28, 2010 10:07 am

I was expecting him to say ‘IPOD, IPHONE, I PAD’- His answer shocked and amazed me! Have a lovely day!

21. June 28, 2010 10:32 am

Haha I googled that noise too. I thought perhaps it was the sound of a major traffic jam or a beehive lol.

22. June 28, 2010 11:00 am

I’ve heard so many jokes about those horns!! They’ve made more press than the world cup itself 🙂

23. June 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Those horns drive me nuts too! (I think they sound like a swarm of bees. 🙂 )

24. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 28, 2010 12:46 pm

I am obsessed with the world cup.

Your posts are always so funny! Ha.

25. June 28, 2010 1:48 pm

my migraine inducing backgrond noise is Xbox and games like left for dead and Call of Duty…and guns…lots and lots of gun noises, and griping men.

Oh, C’MON.

now JJ says it all the time.

There’s no place like home….NO PLACE LIKE HOME…

oh.

I am home.

HA

I watch a lot of LOST now! xoxoxoxox

26. June 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I wish you lived around the corner so I could invite you over to my soccer-free household while your husband listens to vuvuzela horns (and how dare he drag your daughter into such madness). For me, the most exciting part of the World Cup is when it’s over. Not a fan. I do like that one of Ali’s post suggestions was “the zoo.” I’m curious to know what he thinks is post-worthy about this. Please share.

27. actorsdiet permalink
    June 28, 2010 4:14 pm

those vuvuzela horns remind me of guns and roses’ “welcome to the jungle.” it’s quite irritating!

28. June 28, 2010 4:47 pm

True story: when you wrote that you Googled “What is the annoying noise in the background during the World Cup?” , I thought you were talking about Maya and Ali.

🙂

I love your husband’s creative thought process. The calibre of creativity is remarkably like my brother’s, except that my brother has this fetish with repeating the same idea over and over again. Recently, he has been on repeat about felines. If I were to ask him the same question you asked Ali, I guarantee you he’d say “CATS. CATS. WHY NOT CATS?”

You know what would be cool?? If you got Ali to write a guest post for your blog, and I got my brother to write a guest post for mine! Uh, seriously.

29. Michelle permalink
    June 28, 2010 7:57 pm

I’ve heard that they’ve tried to ban the horns! Probably not going to work though…

30. June 28, 2010 7:59 pm

When I have writer’s block, I usually just don’t write. This is because I know that if I write when I have nothing particularly interesting to say, the result will be a terrifying host of horrific words that make no sense and leave all the poor readers scratching their heads and/or swearing off my blog for good. However, when you have writer’s block, you still manage to make me laugh! I wish I had your wittiness.

I haven’t watched a single world cup game, but I can imagine that those horns would get annoying. In fact, I think I will blame my complete disregard for the world cup on those horns, since I’ve felt kind of guilty for not caring about the whole thing. Thanks for the idea! I feel better now.

31. June 29, 2010 2:46 am

I have thankfully avoided most world cup watching. It helps that I don’t have a television.

We all get writer’s block after a while. And you DID end up writing about SOMETHING. And it made me laugh 😛 So well done.

32. June 29, 2010 10:31 am

Yes, thats a good reason to be married, so you have someone else to blame LOL 😉

33. traynharder23 permalink
    June 29, 2010 12:03 pm

i do take showers at night. i have NO IDEA why it’s not making me fall asleep! possibly i was hungry or just wired. who knows. i really don’t want to default to sleeping pills. that’s so wrong.

THANK YOU FOR SAYING i have interesting food! i thought it all looked so gross…and had interesting names..”cabbage shit”. so are you still doing the thursday swim lessons?

34. June 29, 2010 1:33 pm

I agree world cup is cool, but I cant watch it for an entire day/week.

35. June 29, 2010 7:19 pm

I just came across your blog! I had to laugh, because when my husband bought me my iPhone, he felt left out too. Recently, I dropped it in the ocean! Luckily, I was able to get it fixed for less than Apple would replace it for… atleast for now. 😉

36. June 30, 2010 7:36 pm

As much as I love watching the World Cup, those horns really do get on my nerves. Though I have made use of those horns for the past couple weeks. Set my TV to ESPN, then set the timer for it to turn on in the morning and those horns have become my alarm clock. Hahaha…