I Love Craigslist

June 29, 2010

In the last two years I’ve utilized the wonderful free-ness of Craigslist to:

1. Find Maya a swimming teacher
  2. Find Maya another swimming teacher
  3. Hire a server for a party
  4. Hire another server for a party
  5. Find a job…yes really

Since my good friend Craig has come through for me so many times before, I figured why not exploit his free services again to see what types of writing jobs are out there?  So I’ve been adding even more RSS feeds to my Google Reader (which is really just out of control at this point) and I am happy to say that things are looking very promising!

I mean, just take a look at this…

I am obviously a beginner writer and yet I am clearly qualified to write a book, and this guy promises his will be a bestseller!  I have such a knack for being in the right place at the right time, don’t I?

I figured that while I finish up the aforementioned bestseller I can make a little extra on the side by working on resume writing…

And if building a career around writing resumes for potential members of the ministry doesn’t work out I can always be the go-to person for providing the 411 on Lost.

But the great thing is that if all else fails I can help a Bangladeshi poet realize his dreams…

And what on earth could possibly be more fulfilling than that?

Okay so maybe Craig isn’t quite pulling his weight this time around, but things could always be worse, right?  At least I’m not heading into the ministry with no resume.  Or a clue.

One always has to look at the bright side you know.

1. actorsdiet permalink
    June 29, 2010 9:39 pm

this post made me laugh out loud.

craigslist helped me sell my apt in nyc without a realtor fee and also find my place in l.a. i love it!!!

2. June 29, 2010 9:41 pm

You know, I have heard so much about Craigslist but have never actually checked it out myself. One of these days if I’m really bored and looking for a good laugh I just might.

Most annoying thing just happened to me involving Lost the other day. So I’m the only person who’s never seen one episode of Lost (I gotta be the only person by now). I was having an innocent conversation with a friend about that and the final episode. For some STUPID reason she decides to tell me the ending of the final episode. WTH? right?

• June 30, 2010 6:50 am

I have never seen a single episode of Lost either! I thought I was the only one. 🙂

• June 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Oh my gosh! Like LeeQs, I’ve heard so much about Craig too, but up until this point, still haven’t used it! Maybe it’s more of an American thing. Either that or I (still) live under a rock.

OK so I’m afraid to say I can no longer join the “I STILL HAVEN’T SEEN A SINGLE LOST EPISODE YET” camp, because I made an error and watched the series Finale (which, inevitably, left me more Lost at the end that I was at the start.)

Nonethelesssssss… I’m glad you’re looking on the bright side of things. Trust Craig to make magic happen?

xo Aletheia

P.S. Unlike you, I can’t get over my exploding out-of-control google reader. I sometimes get scared to click the tab.

3. June 29, 2010 9:56 pm

LMAO. I’m gonna check this site out myself soon. I need a mini-refrigerator!

4. June 30, 2010 2:42 am

ohhh, craigslist. if nothing else, perfect for some good night-time entertainment 😉 hope you find a writing job soon!

5. June 30, 2010 2:58 am

You are hilarious!!

I love Craigslist! Its pure entertainment 🙂

6. June 30, 2010 3:27 am

these are too much! you’re a riot.

7. June 30, 2010 3:44 am

My favorite is the one on Lost, lol! Isn’t it crazy the things that people post! 🙂

8. June 30, 2010 3:46 am

LOL LOL LOL

The LA Craigslist is a lot funnier than the Altoona one 🙂

9. June 30, 2010 3:50 am

That’s so funny, as I minored in spiritual resume administration and Bangladeshi poetry translation. You wouldn’t believe the demand for it here in Michigan. Kidding.

I’ve never Craigslisted before and I’m not sure I will be doing it any time in the future, although now I’m worried about what I’m missing out on 😉

10. June 30, 2010 4:02 am

I once found a couch on craigslist. However, as it turned out, someone else found that couch before me…and peed on it.

11. zeringo permalink
    June 30, 2010 4:04 am

1. Ensure you register and post ads from your registered account. Registered listings get 40% more views then anonymous postings. If you have a product that would work in multiple markets, register for each of those markets

NOTE: How to search Craigslist multiple cities and categories:
    Use Google’s advanced search feature.
    a. To Search the whole craigslist for a specific keyword: keyword site:craigslist.org
    b. To search some specific cities: keyword site:sfbay.craigslist.org

2. Start your Craig’s List classified posting at http://www.zeringo.com. Register for an account at Zeringo and click on Classifieds. Write your ad and use the copy feature to post it to your Craig’s List Accounts

3. Different Ad Descriptions: You need to change the ad description each time to avoid “similar posting” error and staff deletion (popularly known as “ghosting”). Use image in the description or upload image during ad posting. Using an image increases response. With Zeringo, this is much easier as you can just copy your ad and post the new URL

4. In order to be easily found, ensure you choose the most obvious category. Being clever or creative when choosing the category will just make the post harder to find.

5. Pictures add a lot of value. Zeringo allows you to easily add multiple images to your posting

6. When your product sells you will really be thankful that you used Zeringo for the posting. No longer will you continue to receive calls and inquiries after the sale. Zeringo will automatically mark the product sold so anyone who comes across your posting will quickly and easily see you accomplished your goal of selling your product

Happy Selling and Best of Luck. Don’t forget to share your story with Zeringo.com we like to share the good news

12. June 30, 2010 4:05 am

I like the best-of-Craigslist section. Today, there was someone looking for a beard mentor. Yup, beard mentor. Just when you think your life wasn’t exciting enough already 🙂

13. June 30, 2010 4:09 am

I absolutely love Craigslist. I moved to Austin on saturday and found my apartment through it. I’ve found and sold various things through Craigslist and so far I’ve had good experiences. I hope it continues.

14. June 30, 2010 4:19 am

I can’t believe that LOST one! Crazy! Hah.

…although I’d been be tempted to take on the first one…such a sucker…

15. June 30, 2010 4:25 am

I’ve never used “Craig”, but posts like this make me think I should.
    Good luck with the book!

16. June 30, 2010 4:25 am

HA HA HA. Where do these people come from? I’ve sold stuff on Craigslist and I’m still convinced it’s the best way to find a great apartment in the city, but as for jobs…Ha! I’d be too afraid to apply to a secretary job and end up in a prostitution ring. This was such a hilarious post.

17. Jessica permalink
    June 30, 2010 5:25 am

Wow! You know, if half of them looked up the info they need (how to write a resume and Lost), they wouldn’t need to post a Craigslist ad.

Craigslist is addicting though. I’ve never bought or sold anything off of there, but it’s fun to search through and see what people are selling.

18. June 30, 2010 6:04 am

hahah. just what i needed to read to start my day 🙂

19. June 30, 2010 6:13 am

haha loved that. People are fun, and crazy 🙂

20. June 30, 2010 6:43 am

all i asked Craig to do was help me find a home for my cat. NO HELP. just some creepy dude in hemet, claiming to be a pastor who lived in a trailer.

WAIT.

maybe he’s the same guy whose looking for a job in ministry?

I think he was a meth dealer before.

yeah, I could see how that would be hard to create a resume.

HYSTERICAL.

love it!

21. June 30, 2010 7:00 am

ha ha… I laughed through this entire post!

I’ve used Craig a number of times, but you’re right- some of the stuff you can find on it just amazes me!

22. June 30, 2010 7:16 am

I can’t believe people actually post these types of things. That is so crazy. Especially the Lost guy! Is he insane? Who wants to spend their time filling someone in on a tv show for no good reason?

23. June 30, 2010 7:54 am

LOL! Craigslist found me the house I live in right now!
    I have never watched LOST either…I don’t know if I ever will! But even so…I wouldn’t care for someone to explain it to me hehe.

24. June 30, 2010 7:58 am

I’ve spent boring days reading craigs list adds just to get a good laugh!

25. June 30, 2010 8:17 am

LOVE IT! I have used Craig to sell stuff but never for anything else.

This should be a chapter in your book. Chapter X, Efficient use of Craig 😉

26. June 30, 2010 8:23 am

Oh man, I’ve seen some hilarious postings on craigslist for writing services. One of my writer friends is always emailing the ones she finds. I don’t know if they’re jokes or what, but there are people begging for people to work for $1/page. Who does this?

27. June 30, 2010 8:27 am

I found a roommate on Craiglist, three jobs, a bike, a mini fridge and an apartment…needless to say, we’re friends!

28. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 30, 2010 8:59 am

I am afraid to use that site because of all the horrible stuff I hear, but I’m also paranoid. Maybe I’ll get on!

29. June 30, 2010 9:30 am

hilarious.

30. June 30, 2010 10:04 am

haha! Craigslist creeps me out a little. I don’t know why b/c I know a lot of people who use it and love it. Maybe if it had a different format I’d like it more.

31. June 30, 2010 10:16 am

Man some things on Craigslist are a hot mess. That is all.

32. June 30, 2010 10:24 am

LOL amazing! Craigslist never fails to crack me up!

33. June 30, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks for the post today 😉
    I too have never seen Lost. Gasp!

34. June 30, 2010 11:02 am

I’ve never used Craigslist before, but after seeing some of the ads that people post, I think I might just start browsing… that’s some comedy gold right there.

I think the one that made me laugh the hardest would have to be the Lost one. If he can’t invest the time, I can’t imagine he’s very interested, and if he’s not interested, then I can’t imagine why he’d need someone to walk him through it… maybe as a conversation topic when he’s out on dates?

35. Leah @ Why Deprive? permalink
    June 30, 2010 11:57 am

I like to play on Craigslist at work sometimes, and the stuff I find on there is hilarious!

36. June 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Craig’s list is definitely fun! I got my blackberry from there but truthfully I am an ebay girl at heart!

37. June 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Haha people are so funny (and by funny, I also mean stupid…but I don’t want to sound mean). There are so many things I can say about this…first of all, if someone knows their way around a computer enough to go on craigslist, then they should know enough to google “how to write a resume”. And don’t even get me started on the guy who asked for someone to walk him through Lost. But I’m not going to try to rationalize, I’m just going to laugh. People are funny.

I’ve never actually used Craigslist before…I scanned it a few times when I was looking for an apartment once but never saw anything good. But now I might visit the site just for entertainment purposes.

38. June 30, 2010 6:44 pm

I pretty sure you could be a comedian! You crack me up 😉

39. June 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Oh Craig, We have a mixed relationship. It’s really been a hit and miss kind of thing.

40. Michelle permalink
    June 30, 2010 8:33 pm

hahaha wow craigslist! digging to new lows!

41. July 1, 2010 2:52 am

Dude these people are RIDICULOUS! I can’t believe these really exist. Or that people are this dumb. Wow.

Thanks for making my morning!

42. July 1, 2010 6:27 am

Oh, that is too funny. I love to look at Craigs list. My sister is selling her desk today and I think it was posted on Craigs list. We sold stuff this way before we moved overseas. Most of the time it is good, but then sometimes you get the major scammers who want you to wire them money.

43. July 1, 2010 8:58 am

craigslist has EVERYTHING! i find myself on it multiple times a day ❤

44. July 1, 2010 9:25 am

LMAO Lost!!!!

45. July 1, 2010 9:29 am

Ive found my favorite jobs from my dear friend craig! have you seen this? http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/66fd38f0c5/aziz-ansari-craigslist-ad
    PS, I know i never comment, but i love your blog and live in LA too!

46. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    July 1, 2010 9:37 am

I can spend hours on craigs list… don’t tempt my right now. I will drain so much time browsing

47. July 1, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi Ameena – What fun hilarious post. Yup gotta love Craig and especially gotta luv the nutters out there! 🙂

Between the LOST guy and the Bangladeshi poet, you had me in tears!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

48. July 1, 2010 8:20 pm

Ameena, I would like to say (without having to elaborate too heavily…or at all) that I absolutely love you and your blog.

49. July 1, 2010 8:55 pm

I have just spent the last 30 minutes reading your blog entries. You are a very talented lady! Also, thank you for stopping by my blog and reading my guest post. I really appreciate it!

I’m bookmarking you and making a habit of stopping by!

50. July 2, 2010 7:08 am

Oh I am a craigslist lover too! Its like the never ending online garage sell.

In the past year I used craigslist to:
    1. find a roomie
    2. find a different place to live with a different roomie
    3. Sell a table
    4. get a job – doing private swim lessons
    5. waste time looking at all the randomness!