Tolerable

May 7, 2010

I was determined, and I mean determined, to replicate the Balinese vegetable curry that I had in Japan.  The only problem was that I had little idea what the ingredients were.  All I knew is that it contained coconut, vegetables (obviously), and loads of fat-filled cream.  I didn’t have cream or too many vegetables yesterday, but I set out to replicate anyway.  Talk about setting myself up for failure, right?  But I’m pleased to report that despite having no recipe and few ingredients on hand I ended up with a very thick lentil soup that was nothing like the vegetable curry I was craving but was still pretty damn good.

Well, in my opinion anyway.  Maya started laughing when I asked her if she wanted any.  I believe the words “That’s crazy Mama” might have escaped her mouth.  And Ali?  Well I put this wonderful plate together with garnishes and everything, handed it to him, and crossed my fingers.

“Um, Manu?”

“Yes?”

“Is there coconut in here?”

“Yes, a little bit.  Why?”

“Well I don’t eat coconut.”

“But you did when we were on our trip.”

“Well I don’t eat it at home.”

Okay then.  I’d like to think I’m a fairly smart person but even I didn’t get the logic.

“You don’t have to eat it if you don’t like it.”

“Well I can eat it.  I don’t hate it or anything.  If you throw some more raisins on it I can definitely tolerate it.”

So Ali “tolerated” the dinner that took me an hour to cook while I silently cursed him and Maya and swore up and down that I would stop trying to make new things.  And while I try to make myself follow through with my new resolution, feel free to give this tasty (in my opinion) recipe a try.

“Tolerated” Lentil Coconut Stoup (as Rachel Ray says – thicker than a soup, thinner than a stew)

1 cup of red lentils, washed
1/2 can of coconut milk (I used Trader Joe’s Light version)
1/2 can of tomato paste
1/2 a small onion, chopped
2 small potatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons of raisins
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of butter
cilantro and avocado (optional)

1. Add the washed lentils and chopped potatoes to a soup pot. Cover with water and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the potatoes are soft. (Add more water if the lentils dry out).
2. Meanwhile, saute the onion, carrots, and celery in the butter. Add the tomato paste, curry powder, salt, and garam masala.
3. Mix the onion/carrot/celery mixture into the soup pot, add the coconut milk, and simmer another 20 minutes.
4. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro, raisins, and avocado.

I hope you “tolerate” my concoction better than the picky people in my house.  Oh and this may very well be the last recipe I have to share as I will likely be boiling pasta and opening a jar of Prego here on out.

Hopefully this news is met with sighs of disappointment from my readers, rather than relief?

1. actorsdiet permalink
    May 7, 2010 9:16 pm

well, it certainly sounds delicious – most importantly, dear, what did YOU think of it?

2. May 7, 2010 9:49 pm

I think that dish looks pretty darn good! I love coconut!

3. May 8, 2010 4:09 am

that remark should have gotten him sent to bed without any supper! it looks lovely, glad you were able to replicate it

4. May 8, 2010 4:24 am

i love how the japanese take foods from different cultures and adapt it to perfection. My partner and I went nuts during our 2 week holiday there. I am not bold enough in the kitchen to make a recipe from scratch on my own. So this sounds so fantastic to me.

5. May 8, 2010 4:28 am

I think it looks delicious!!! I would do much more than “tolerate” it. 🙂

6. May 8, 2010 4:44 am

How unappreciative!! That looks scrumptious. I can’t get Ali’s logic either.

7. May 8, 2010 5:28 am

Ali and Maya are crazy for not appreciating a meal like that. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I think you come up with great recipes, so don’t resort to noodles and Prego 😉

8. May 8, 2010 6:33 am

Oh my goodness!! That looks amazing!! I especially love that you put raisins in it, how unique!!

9. May 8, 2010 7:38 am

That sounds GOOD! And the presentation is gorgeous.. send some of that my way! I’ll GLADLY eat it!

10. May 8, 2010 7:57 am

Have you ever seen the movie Waitress?

The way you titled your recipe made me think of the way she tittles her pies.

11. May 8, 2010 7:59 am

I like curries. I like lentils. I like coconut. I like vegetables. I will eat your stoup Ameena, even if no one else will 🙂

Happy weekend!

12. highonhealthy permalink
    May 8, 2010 9:26 am

That looks good to me! If Ali and Maya won’t eat it then I definitely will. 😀 They don’t know what they’re missing, coconut is awesome.

13. May 8, 2010 9:55 am

All those ingredients sound yumms Ameena (except the celery, sorry i’ve never been a huge fan. nothing against your recipe). Kudos to you for trying something new. As long as YOU like it girl 🙂 And what a beautiful presentation. Ok now you’re making me hungry. Time for lunch.
    Hope you have the loveliest Mother’s day filled with love, joy, and laughter cause you definitely deserve it dear! 😀

14. Danielle permalink
    May 8, 2010 10:12 am

No coconut at home?! Craziness lol. Coconut is good anywhere!

If Maya & the hubby won’t eat your delicious looking Tolerated Lentil Coconut Stoup then please send it over here! I think it looks really good 😀

15. May 8, 2010 11:10 am

Wait? It’s not like coconut is an expensive delicacy or anything, so why not eat it at home? Hmmmm…That has question marks all over it. hahaha… I’d eat it right up. I’ll take their shares if they don’t want it. 🙂

16. May 8, 2010 1:17 pm

Well, I would eat it. I would eat anything you make, Ameena! I would call it “Awesomely Delicious” Lentil Coconut Soup. Of course, I like lentils so I’m a little biased. Please do continue posting your great recipes 🙂

Happy Mother’s Day to you!!

17. May 8, 2010 4:26 pm

This looks awesome. I’m quite sure I would do far more than just tolerate it 😉

18. May 8, 2010 5:20 pm

lol yea kids are funny like that. hmmm. it sure looked great tho and im certain VERY delicious! ❤ xoxo

May 8, 2010 6:03 pm

I think this sounds amazing!
    Also, I love coconut – and I dont understand Ali’s logic either. Men have weird ways of thinking. Its like my boyfriend who refuses to eat eggs, but when we ordered pad thai that had visible chunks of egg in it he thought they were tofu bits and said he liked them.
    MEN!

20. May 8, 2010 8:04 pm

LMAO. Oh, those two fools don’t know how to appreciate a good thing! I was positively salivating when I saw that dish….If I was Ali and Maya, I would be laughing at how you even NEEDED to ask if I wanted a bite, and have grabbed the whole pot, yup yup~

21. May 9, 2010 12:06 pm

Ah man!! I can definitely “tolerate” that recipe!!! Happy Mother’s Day sweet lady!!!

22. May 9, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh Ameena I think it sounds AWESOME. Your fam just doesnt know how lucky they are!!

23. May 9, 2010 5:57 pm

totally forgot to tell you…happy mothers day!

24. May 9, 2010 6:32 pm

Ameena, I really appreciated your advice on my stomach issues. I looked into digestive advantage and will order it from amazon. And try to lay off some of the raw and harder to digest food. Thank you so much for your input.

Your “stoup” reminds me a lot of something that I love to make from the cookbook from Fresh (the restaurant) and its called Marrakesh Curry Stew. Its made with chickpeas, not lentils, but has a lot of the same flavours, with coconut and raisins. Its delicious, so I’m sure I would love this recipe. Not just tolerate, but really love! Its my type of dish for sure. I hope you keep experimenting in the kitchen, even if you have a family full of picky eaters. Your food always looks great.
    Happy Mother’s Day!

25. May 10, 2010 5:59 am

and I thought I had a picky husband.

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s day yesterday.

26. May 10, 2010 8:56 am

What a yummy dish! Too bad you won’t be making any more new dishes:( There’s always ways to get sneaky with prego too!! Happy belated Mother’s Day!

27. May 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Nice! Sounds like a great time 😉

I am always telling my daughter to sit like a lady. I think I may need to back up and explain what a lady is…